PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer?

Mr. Miyagi
12-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Forked from: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer? (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3386406)

Forked from: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer? (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3385495)

What the hell is it with this board?

Every time Fitz has a good game, people are ready to crown him the next Jim Kelly. Then he has a bad game and everyone is ready to run him out of town.

Look, he doesn't have a lot of starts under his belt and he'll have his ups and downs. Despite his horrible performance yesterday, it's hard to blame him for this season when the D is last against the run, the highly vaunted Spiller has done nothing, our "big" FA off-season acquisition is no longer on the the team, none of our 1st round picks actually PLAY like first round picks (and at least two hardly play at all), etc.

Is Fitz the next Jim Kelly? I seriously doubt it. But is he the next Todd Collins/JP/Holcomb/Trent? I doubt that as well. I see him in the Mark Rypien/Trent Dilfer/Rich Gannon type role: He's not going to win you games on his own like Brady and Manning, but it is possible to win with him in the right circumstance.

So, what does this mean for the Bills? Well, they shouldn't pass on a QB should the right one come along, But let's consider the state of the team.

-The front 7 on D is an absolute disaster outside of Kyle Williams. Moats and Carrington are showing flashes and get a pass as rookies, but the rest of this unit is completely worthless.

-McKelvin and Florence have both struggled at times this year, and McGee can't stay healthy.

-Whitner is mediocre and Byrd has been exposed.

-While no one on our OL is horrendous, they're all pretty average and could be easily upgraded.

-While all of our WR's are decent, we still lack that one dominant player who is a true #1.

-Our TE's might be the worst in the league.

-Age is catching up with Brian Moorman

So, with the team in that state, how much of our limited resources should be devoted to gambling on a QB? We have a serviceable player. I can't say that about numerous other positions on this team.

Unfortunately, this off-season seems to be shaping up like last off season: our desperate need for a franchise QB doesn't necessarily make one available to us. The Andrew Luck pipe dream is over. So, pick your poison: gamble on a QB or stick with Fitz and pick another position of need. Neither is a very good option.

Stop overreacting to the moment and take a look at the big picture. And yes, I'm well aware of the irony of me making this statement, but that just shows you how absurd it is.
I've never ever crowned him the next Hall of Famer. All along I've always maintained we need to draft a QB pronto as Fitz is nothing but a placeholder until the next franchise QB is ready to roll.

Who's overreacting here?

Mr. Miyagi
12-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Forking a forked thread. Awesome.

PromoTheRobot
12-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Fitz is a decent QB on a bad team. I'd rather draft other more needy positions and worry about the "franchise QB" later. You can't be a bad QB and throw for 23 TD's and 3,000 yds.

PTR

Nighthawk
12-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Fitz is a decent QB on a bad team. I'd rather draft other more needy positions and worry about the "franchise QB" later. You can't be a bad QB and throw for 23 TD's and 3,000 yds.

PTR

You can't? Go do your homework on Kordell Stewart and Tyler Thigpen...oh, and both had their "career years" while being coached by Gailey.

Joe Fo Sho
12-27-2010, 09:27 PM
You can't? Go do your homework on Kordell Stewart and Tyler Thigpen...oh, and both had their "career years" while being coached by Gailey.

Why spend a lot on a good QB then if Gailey can get 3500 yds 28 tds out of Fitz every year? How much better would that QB do???

Mr. Pink
12-27-2010, 09:39 PM

PTR

You can't?!?

Derek Anderson 3787 yards 29 TDs in 07.

Your point is null and void.

FTY

TheBrownBear
12-28-2010, 03:18 PM
I like Fitz. I like his mentality and leadership qualities. Having said that, he's 28 years old and he still has major deficiencies in his game that keep him from being a pro-bowl level player. I'm content with riding him for another year, but if the FO has a chance to draft a QB (whether that be Newton, Locker, Mallet, etc.) that they think could be an upgrade over Fitz, then they need to pull the trigger. I'm pretty sure this is where almost every Bills fan stands, so I'm not sure why we need to see endless Fitz threads week after week.

Nighthawk
12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
You can't?!?

Derek Anderson 3787 yards 29 TDs in 07.

Your point is null and void.

FTY

Ha, ha...forgot about that one...NICE!

trapezeus
12-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm a stupid football fan. Can someone tell me how many "franchise" QB's have had defenses that gave up:
1. 200+yards rushing in 8+ games in a season; and
2. a defense that gave up 30+ points a game 8 times in 15 games.

Once I get this information i'll be able to decide if i think a QB with probowl stats and a few bad games is good enough to run my favorite team for one additional year.

Nighthawk
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm a stupid football fan. Can someone tell me how many "franchise" QB's have had defenses that gave up:
1. 200+yards rushing in 8+ games in a season; and
2. a defense that gave up 30+ points a game 8 times in 15 games.

Once I get this information i'll be able to decide if i think a QB with probowl stats and a few bad games is good enough to run my favorite team for one additional year.

Peyton Manning consistently has a poor defense...Tom Brady has a poor defense and is making that team a possible champion again. The Bills defenses back in the day were not great...they were bend-but-don't-break defenses and Kelly and the offense made that OK. I know that there are other examples, but it is pretty obvious that Fitz just is not good enough. Nothing that you or any poster can show that he is.

Ickybaluky
12-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Pro Bowl stats? Seriously? 6.8 Yds/Att and 58% completions get you in the Pro Bowl?

I could understand a low Yds/Att if he were more accurate, because it would mean he was being efficient. I could also understand a lower percentage of completions if he had a great Yds/Att, because that would mean there were a lot of big plays being made. However, an average completion percentage and average Yds/Att tell me he is an average QB. I am not sure where you get Pro Bowl from.

I agree Fitzpatrick should start next year. He needs to keep the seat warm until the Bills get a real QB. Finding that QB should be a very high priority, no matter what the other needs are. It is the most important position when it comes to building a team, the biggest piece of the puzzle. You only have to look at the teams that are winning to see this.

Granted, I don't know if the current draft has that guy, but if there is one that has a chance then they have to take that risk. It is that important.

If a team feels Cam Newton has a shot to be a franchise guy, they need to draft him higher than people think he should go. That is what the Steelers did with Roethlisberger. That is what Tampa Bay did with Freeman. That is what Baltimore did with Flacco. Just ask Miami, who passed on Ryan to take Jake Long.

Is there risk? No doubt, those QBs flame out sometimes. But you need to keep trying until you get one.

If a team builds the rest of their team but relies on average QB play, chances are they will only get so far. That is why Minnesota sold out to take a chance on Favre, but he wasn't quite good enough anymore to finish the deal.

A Franchise QB is the biggest thing you need. You always value getting one higher than any other position unless you already have one.

OpIv37
12-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Forked from: Does anyone still think Fitz is the answer? (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3386406)

I've never ever crowned him the next Hall of Famer. All along I've always maintained we need to draft a QB pronto as Fitz is nothing but a placeholder until the next franchise QB is ready to roll.

Who's overreacting here?

It's not an overreaction if you go back and look at the Sunday and Monday threads after each performance. If Fitz does well, there are a million threads talking about how great he is. If he does poorly, there are a million threads like yours. And sometimes both types of threads are from the same people.

I don't disagree that we need a franchise QB, but I also don't see any realistic scenario where we get one. All I hear are pipe dreams about Andrew Luck or people who want us to reach for Ryan Mallett or Cam Newton. The reality is that we are most likely stuck with Fitz, and even if we do find a "franchise" QB, he's going to sit and watch Fitz for a year anyway. That's why I think it's wiser to use those high draft picks to fill our other holes until the right opportunity at QB comes along.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-29-2010, 09:14 PM
It's not an overreaction if you go back and look at the Sunday and Monday threads after each performance. If Fitz does well, there are a million threads talking about how great he is. If he does poorly, there are a million threads like yours. And sometimes both types of threads are from the same people.

I don't disagree that we need a franchise QB, but I also don't see any realistic scenario where we get one. All I hear are pipe dreams about Andrew Luck or people who want us to reach for Ryan Mallett or Cam Newton. The reality is that we are most likely stuck with Fitz, and even if we do find a "franchise" QB, he's going to sit and watch Fitz for a year anyway. That's why I think it's wiser to use those high draft picks to fill our other holes until the right opportunity at QB comes along.

when is the right opportunity? we will be better next year and not picking top 10... TAKE THE QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OpIv37
12-30-2010, 09:32 AM
when is the right opportunity? we will be better next year and not picking top 10... TAKE THE QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taking the QB with our top 10 pick doesn't guarantee his success and comes at the opportunity cost of filling one of the team's many other glaring needs.

I don't know when the right opportunity will come along, but our desperate need does not affect supply one bit. Trying to force someone into a franchise QB role will just lead to anothe Losman situation.