PDA

View Full Version : Any DL as Dominant as Suh in draft?

BuffaloBlitz83
12-28-2010, 04:09 AM
Any idea guys? If Luck is out of picture I'd go this route

NOT THE DUDE...
12-28-2010, 06:33 AM
fairley might be... hes been unreal

X-Era
12-28-2010, 06:55 AM
In response to your title, I would say no.

That said, Da'Quan Bowers is a stud and may be a nice optionfor us at two. He's been good against the run and led the nation in sacks. He's a stud. But no, he's not as much of a stud as Suh was.

billsfanryan
12-28-2010, 06:55 AM
fairley might be... hes been unreal

I was thinking the same thing. I would love a player with a mean streak in him on our d-line. I would like to see someone on the defense get fired up and start shoving people and hitting people hard.

elltrain22
12-28-2010, 07:04 AM
IMHO, no. Bowers, Fairley, & Quinn are all very good prospects w/ alot of upside, but Suh is special (hof special )

mysticsoto
12-28-2010, 07:14 AM

Probably not, but just to clarify, you mean DE or LB right? I think we are set at DT with Kyle Williams and Troup right behind him.

It would be awesome to get a Warren Sapp type of DE to spell and eventually replace Stroud, but if there isn't any, a top LB can do wonders for an aspiring 3-4 team!!!

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Bowers would be a great fit if he lands with the Bills. I like Fairley alot and Dareus would be a nice fit. If the Bills want a nice DL guy he should be there when we select.

DraftBoy
12-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Not even close.

And to even put Fairley in the argument is slap in the face to Suh.

better days
12-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Probably not, but just to clarify, you mean DE or LB right? I think we are set at DT with Kyle Williams and Troup right behind him.

It would be awesome to get a Warren Sapp type of DE to spell and eventually replace Stroud, but if there isn't any, a top LB can do wonders for an aspiring 3-4 team!!!

Warren Sapp was a DT.

DraftBoy
12-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Warren Sapp was a DT.

Played DE in Oakland's 3-4 though.

Nighthawk
12-28-2010, 09:06 AM
In response to your title, I would say no.

That said, Da'Quan Bowers is a stud and may be a nice optionfor us at two. He's been good against the run and led the nation in sacks. He's a stud. But no, he's not as much of a stud as Suh was.

The problem with all of the "elite" defensive line players this year is that they are all "one year wonders" and that scares the hell out of me. I have visions of Maybin dancing in my head!

WeAreArthurMoates
12-28-2010, 09:48 AM
The problem with all of the "elite" defensive line players this year is that they are all "one year wonders" and that scares the hell out of me. I have visions of Maybin dancing in my head!

I hear ya except there all built like men and have the size/speed ratio to play there repsective positions. Dareus is the only front 7 player that early who was not a one year wonder.

better days
12-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Played DE in Oakland's 3-4 though.

Nowhere near as well as DT for Tampa. He will go into the HOF because of his DT play in Tampa.

Ed
12-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Suh seems like one of those once every 10-15 years type of player. I think he's going to end up being really special assuming he doesn't start having injury issues.

EDS
12-28-2010, 11:09 AM

Threre are a couple guys that are great fits for a 4-3 defense, not so much for a 3-4.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2010, 12:21 PM
DB who does Fairly and Bowers compare to currently in the league. I want a reference point.

TigerJ
12-28-2010, 12:22 PM
There's not a lot of point in comparing any of this years top defensive players with Suh. They are this year's players. Dareus is probably the most similar in terms of his body type. Bowers, Dareus and Fairley would all play 5 technique for the Bills. I don't think that's what Detroit is asking Suh to do. Dareus and Fairley are fairly similar, Fairley a bit taller and lighter. If you can believe the pundits out there, both have similar 40 times. Bowers is lighter and faster. Some think his pass rushing ability would be mostely wasted in a 3-4 where he plays the 5 technique. He's big enough to do it though. His body type is more like Julius Peppers than Suh, which is why some pundits think Carolina should go after him. He's something of a reach at #1 overall, but then again almost everybody is. Quinn is very different from all of the above. He could be a DE in a 4-3. but in the 3-4 he's got to be a rush linebacker. The guy the Bills go after depends of course on who's left, which should be most, but perhaps not all in that group. It also depends on what they want most from that pick. If they want pass rush, Quinn might be the guy, though the season long suspension is a red flag just because we haven't seen him all season. Bowers is also going to give you pass rush, though the 5 technique guy also has to be cognizant of the run. That may diminish his effectiveness as a pass rusher. Dareus and Fairley are both going to upgrade your run defense. They will help in the passing game too, but they won't have as much impact as Quinn or Bowers.

Buffalo obviously need to upgrade both. They were lousy against the run this season, though not quite as lousy late in the season as they were earlier. They were still lousy though. They also did a very poor job of getting pressure on the QB. My guess is they will target Fairley or Dareus, and try to address pass rush later in the draft at the rush linebacker position. Justin Houston is a possibility in round 2. We also saw some nice work from Moats late in the season, and Batten could come back and be a factor next season as well.

Ickybaluky
12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
DB who does Fairly and Bowers compare to currently in the league. I want a reference point.

I have heard a lot of comparisons for Nick Fairley, but I think the most favorable is Kevin Williams of Minnesota. I don't know if that is accurate, but I have read it.

I have heard Jay Ratliff as well, but that could be as much because both are Auburn guys and have high motors. I think he is more of a 3 technique 4-3 guy than a 5 technique 3-4 DE.

mysticsoto
12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Nowhere near as well as DT for Tampa. He will go into the HOF because of his DT play in Tampa.
Actually, you're right, I'll take that back. Sapp did have a great year or two in Oakland, but it was after he moved back from DE to DT where he excelled (for some reason, I was remembering that in reverse).

I guess there's no other great comparison that I can think of. And part of who we draft may be determined by whether this coaching staff is going to stick to a 3-4 next year or switch back and forth depending on who we play and which might be better against our opponents (3-4 vs 4-3). One of the things we have to keep in mind is the personnel we already have. Kelsay did well this year. Was it b'cse of the switch back to the 4-3? Can he really cut it in a pure 3-4? If not, it may benefit us to draft someone who can casually switch also...that would likely be between Robert Quinn and Marcell Dareus and Denver is likely to want Dareus (should they pick before us). And Dareus would be more of a DE/DT tweener while Quinn might suit us better as a DE/OLB tweener.

The Jokeman
12-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Actually, you're right, I'll take that back. Sapp did have a great year or two in Oakland, but it was after he moved back from DE to DT where he excelled (for some reason, I was remembering that in reverse).

I guess there's no other great comparison that I can think of. And part of who we draft may be determined by whether this coaching staff is going to stick to a 3-4 next year or switch back and forth depending on who we play and which might be better against our opponents (3-4 vs 4-3). One of the things we have to keep in mind is the personnel we already have. Kelsay did well this year. Was it b'cse of the switch back to the 4-3? Can he really cut it in a pure 3-4? If not, it may benefit us to draft someone who can casually switch also...that would likely be between Robert Quinn and Marcell Dareus and Denver is likely to want Dareus (should they pick before us). And Dareus would be more of a DE/DT tweener while Quinn might suit us better as a DE/OLB tweener.
I think the Broncos would have to decide between Patrick Peterson and Nick Fairley and possibly Bowers and/or Dareus since they should have Elvis Dumervil back in 2011. Leaving the Bills to decide between Bowers/Dareus or Quinn. To me I'm leading to Quinn since he's been a preseason favorite and think he might be better suited at OLB if we elect to continue to build a 3-4 Defense which makes sense since that's why we took Troupe, Carrington and Moats and can't see given up on all these guys next year. As great 3-4s are usually lead by OLBs see Harrison in Pittsburgh, Kevin Greene in Pittsburgh/Carolina, Lawrence Taylor in New York, DeMarcus Ware in Dallas. Again Bruce Smith was an exception not the rule for 3-4 DEs.

Raptor
12-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Nope...

ServoBillieves
12-28-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't like players who are nut-jobs. Nick Fairley seems like the kind of player with all the talent and promise in the world who will get get just angry enough to throw his helmet in to a QB after he's let go of the football or just draw stupid penalties.

I would pass.. I would rather take Bowers or Quinn.

baalworship
12-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Quinn intrigues me the most from a pass-rushing perspective. He is an insane athlete.

Ingtar33
12-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Not even close.

agreed 100%

DraftBoy
12-29-2010, 07:47 AM

That's a good question;

Fairley wise I think Kevin Williams isn't a bad comparison though I like Williams build much better than Fairley whose build I dont like at all. At his peak if he maxes out he could become like Richard Seymour though he needs to work harder in a weight room.

Bowers I compare to Charles Johnson of Carolina. I think he'll struggle a little early to get it going as he adjust but when he does watch out. Bowers is a little taller and heavier than Johnson which is why he is a more ideal 3-4 end.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Not even close.

i dont know how you can say that after the lsu/alabama games...

DraftBoy
01-01-2011, 09:07 PM
i dont know how you can say that after the lsu/alabama games...

Very easily and without blinking.