T-Long
12-28-2010, 08:13 AM
1. Carolina: A.J. Green WR Georgia
2. Denver: CB Patrick Petersen LSU
3. Cincinnati: DE Da'Quan Bowers Clemson
4. Buffalo: DE/DT Nick Fairley Auburn
5. SF 49ers: QB Cam Newton Auburn

Reasoning for each pick:

Carolina: With Luck staying at Stanford, Panthers go with the best player on the board and it fills a need.

Denver: Champ Bailey will be gone and Cox will probably still be in jail, so Petersen is the perfect fit for Denver.

Cincy: Bowers is the best DL on the board. Depending on Carson Palmer's situation, they may reach for a QB here, but they can't go wrong with Bowers here.

Buffalo: Pick a QB or not to pick a QB? That is the question. With the versatility that Fairley brings, I believe he can play in a 4-3 and 3-4. He has been flat out dominant, but doesn't have the long track record of success, which may concern the Bills brass.

SF: I think a new coach will want a QB he selected to turn this franchise around. Both Smith's are not possibilities in my opinion, so they go with Newton here. I wouldn't be surprised if Mallett could go here either.

k-oneputt
12-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Carolina is going d-line with no Luck.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-28-2010, 08:20 AM
1. Carolina: dquan bowers
2. Denver: nick fairley
3. Cincinnati: aj green
4. Buffalo: ryan mallett
5. SF 49ers: cam newton

k-oneputt
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM

I could see that draft w/o Luck. Cincy is supposedly letting both Ocho and Owens walk. I can definitely see S.Fran going qb, especially with a new coach.
I hope the Bills go qb but I honestly don't know where they are at or what they will do. I could live with a top d-linemen also and somewhat stomach Peterson, but if AJ Green is the pick I will officially retire my Buffalo Bills card.

psubills62
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
1. Carolina: A.J. Green WR
2. Denver: CB Patrick Petersen
3. Cincinnati: DE Da'Quan Bowers
4. Buffalo: DE Marcel Dareus
5. SF 49ers: OLB Robert Quinn

NOT THE DUDE...
12-28-2010, 08:30 AM
I could see that draft w/o Luck. Cincy is supposedly letting both Ocho and Owens walk. I can definitely see S.Fran going qb, especially with a new coach.
I hope the Bills go qb but I honestly don't know where they are at or what they will do. I could live with a top d-linemen also and somewhat stomach Peterson, but if AJ Green is the pick I will officially retire my Buffalo Bills card.

i agree, i would be happy if they drafted fairley or peterson, i just think its time to draft a qb... mallett is for sure going top 10 and he has all the talent in the world. he can sit for a year and start in 2012.

madness
12-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Key for SF: Alex Smith is a FA and won't be resigned.

RockStar36
12-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I'd rather the Bills waited for the 2nd round or traded back into the first to get their QB (unless they win Sunday and slip to the 8th or 9th spot).

I'm not certain any other QB not named Luck is worthy of a top 5 pick.

psubills62
12-28-2010, 08:54 AM
I'd rather the Bills waited for the 2nd round or traded back into the first to get their QB (unless they win Sunday and slip to the 8th or 9th spot).

I'm not certain any other QB not named Luck is worthy of a top 5 pick.

Yep, I'd prefer to draft a QB in the 2nd-5th rounds, depending on who is available when we pick.

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 09:01 AM

If we pick Ryan Malett I will throw up now.......
I owuld rather have the future with FITZ

Nighthawk
12-28-2010, 09:02 AM

Ha, ha...comical.

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 09:02 AM
i agree, i would be happy if they drafted fairley or peterson, i just think its time to draft a qb... mallett is for sure going top 10 and he has all the talent in the world. he can sit for a year and start in 2012.

What makes u so sure Mallett is going top 10???
The only thing he has going for him is his arm.....
When combine comes you will see what Im talking about.
I wouldn't be surprised 1 bit if Newton is taken before Mallett.

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Ha, ha...comical.

Hawk Im serious.....
1st of all Mallett is not a typical style QB that Chan likes to run his offense...
I think Chan would rather have Pryor then Malett...

T-Long
12-28-2010, 09:06 AM
TB is right...Newton would be picked by the Bills before Mallett IMO. Mallett has the arm to play in Buffalo, but not with how Gailey wants to run the offense. I think Newton would be perfect in Buffalo, but our defense is just horrendous.

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 09:08 AM
TB is right...Newton would be picked by the Bills before Mallett IMO. Mallett has the arm to play in Buffalo, but not with how Gailey wants to run the offense. I think Newton would be perfect in Buffalo, but our defense is just horrendous.

T-Long you hit it right, you have to go Defense in this situation there is a few DL studs sitting there....If we drafted Newton 4th overall I wouldn't be upset at all.....

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Well here is my top 5...
I still think after Stanford beats V Tech Andrew Luck is coming out...
Knowing you are the best player in College ball how do you stay in school???

1. Carolina- Andrew Luck QB

2. Denver- Nick Fairley DL Guy has just played great this year.

3. Cincinnati- Patrick Peterson CB..IMO the best overall player in the draft

4. Buffalo- Da'Quan Bowers DE....What did the Bills do a while back....Draft a dominate DE named Bruce Smith..........Bowers would be a great addition to the weak Bills defense...

5. Arizona- Cam Newton QB

My wild card is the BILLS taking GABE CARIMI OT from Wisconsin, could be a great boost to our RT.......This guy will move up the charts after the combine....

Nighthawk
12-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Hawk Im serious.....
1st of all Mallett is not a typical style QB that Chan likes to run his offense...
I think Chan would rather have Pryor then Malett...

I hear ya...Mallett's feet (or lack of) scare the hell out of me, but I just can't get behind any scenario where they feel Fitz is the answer and don't draft a QB in the first few rounds of this draft.

Nighthawk
12-28-2010, 09:18 AM

When did I ever say that I think Mallett would be picked before Newton?

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 09:29 AM

U didn't he wasn't quoting from your post.

T-Long
12-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Huh? I wasn't saying that to you. I was agreeing with TB than Mallett would not go before.

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Huh? I wasn't saying that to you. I was agreeing with TB than Mallett would not go before.

T just got my Outback Bowl tix 10 rows behind Penn St bench on the 45 yrd line....
GO GATORS...

T-Long
12-28-2010, 09:36 AM
T just got my Outback Bowl tix 10 rows behind Penn St bench on the 45 yrd line....
GO GATORS...
ohhhhhh man.....can't wait for the game. Of course it's like a home game for the Gators as usual.

LETS GO STATE!! Take pics for me

Night Train
12-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Yep, I'd prefer to draft a QB in the 2nd-5th rounds, depending on who is available when we pick.

Watch Andy Dalton of TCU. Nothing flashy but he's smart and manages a game well with minimal mistakes. Steady improvement all 4 years. Well coached. 6-2 220. He fits the middle round mode with some interesting ability.

DraftBoy
12-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Watch Andy Dalton of TCU. Nothing flashy but he's smart and manages a game well with minimal mistakes. Steady improvement all 4 years. Well coached. 6-2 220. He fits the middle round mode with some interesting ability.

Last I heard on him was that his stock is falling due to arm strength questions. Looking like a late rounder now, he needs a strong all-star game.

My top 5 mock;
1. Carolina-DT Nick Fairley-Auburn-Have weapons on offense but need an impact player on defense to subplant the loss of Peppers from last season. Fairley is the ideal penetrating UT in the NFL.

2. Denver-DE Da'Quan Bowers-Clemson-Vickerson, Bannan, and Thomas have been decent this season but Denver allows 153.9 which is better only than our own Bills.

3. Cincinnati-CB Patrick Peterson-LSU-The middle of the pack in terms of pass defense but could use a infusion of talent. Have spent a lot of picks on CB with a low success rate but Peterson is about as close to a sure thing as there is.

4. Buffalo-DE Marcel Dareus-Alabama-Bills need help everywhere so they take one of the BPA's who also fills a need in Dareus. Dareus could take over right away for Marcus Stroud and when combined with Troup and Carrington has the makings of a very young (and hopefully dominant) 3-4 DL.

5. San Francisco-WR AJ Green-Georgia-Yes they have Crabtree but with a new coach and new QB likely in SF, they have to find a way to get their new QB some targets. Crabtree has been good but inconsistent, and with the OL they are building and some solid RB's Green could help to finally break their offense wide open.

T-Long
12-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Last I heard on him was that his stock is falling due to arm strength questions. Looking like a late rounder now, he needs a strong all-star game.

My top 5 mock;
1. Carolina-DT Nick Fairley-Auburn-Have weapons on offense but need an impact player on defense to subplant the loss of Peppers from last season. Fairley is the ideal penetrating UT in the NFL. DT #1 overall? I like Fairley, but I think they go with Green here.

2. Denver-DE Da'Quan Bowers-Clemson-Vickerson, Bannan, and Thomas have been decent this season but Denver allows 153.9 which is better only than our own Bills. They def. have to go defense, but I think their lack of a CB once Bailey leaves is a bigger need.

3. Cincinnati-CB Patrick Peterson-LSU-The middle of the pack in terms of pass defense but could use a infusion of talent. Have spent a lot of picks on CB with a low success rate but Peterson is about as close to a sure thing as there is. I like this one.

4. Buffalo-DE Marcel Dareus-Alabama-Bills need help everywhere so they take one of the BPA's who also fills a need in Dareus. Dareus could take over right away for Marcus Stroud and when combined with Troup and Carrington has the makings of a very young (and hopefully dominant) 3-4 DL. Don't mind this pick either.

5. San Francisco-WR AJ Green-Georgia-Yes they have Crabtree but with a new coach and new QB likely in SF, they have to find a way to get their new QB some targets. Crabtree has been good but inconsistent, and with the OL they are building and some solid RB's Green could help to finally break their offense wide open. I think Newton or Mallett go here. New regime will want their own QB. Troy Smith to start in 2011? Highly doubtful.

k-oneputt
12-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Fitz isn't a future. He's a nice stopgap/backup and I think he would do well with helping to develop the next qb.

DraftBoy
12-28-2010, 10:50 AM
1. They have Steve Smith and David Gettis and are very high on Armanti Edwards out of the slot. WR is not a huge need for them though I could see the pick. Their defense however is in shambles outside of Jon Beason.

2. They need to sure up their Run D first. I dont care how good your coverage is, if you cant stop the run or pressure the passer you can only cover a guy so long.

5. True that would possible but it wouldnt shock me if SF goes the vet QB route as well. They arent far off from being a playoff team.

k-oneputt
12-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Really ? I guess you haven't watched him. You can throw him in there with Levi Brown.

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 12:20 PM
ohhhhhh man.....can't wait for the game. Of course it's like a home game for the Gators as usual.

LETS GO STATE!! Take pics for me

They are down 4 starters....
Still FL has overall speed that Penn St hasn't seen yet, but the Gator offense is what scares me. I hope URB doesnt use 12 QB'S in this game....

tampabay25690
12-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Fitz isn't a future. He's a nice stopgap/backup and I think he would do well with helping to develop the next qb.

Im fine with that as long as its not Mallett..

ZAZusmc03
12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
They are down 4 starters....
Still FL has overall speed that Penn St hasn't seen yet, but the Gator offense is what scares me. I hope URB doesnt use 12 QB'S in this game....

Go Gators. That's all I have for now.

EDS
12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
1. They have Steve Smith and David Gettis and are very high on Armanti Edwards out of the slot. WR is not a huge need for them though I could see the pick. Their defense however is in shambles outside of Jon Beason.

2. They need to sure up their Run D first. I dont care how good your coverage is, if you cant stop the run or pressure the passer you can only cover a guy so long.

5. True that would possible but it wouldnt shock me if SF goes the vet QB route as well. They arent far off from being a playoff team.

They have a really good pass rusher in Charles Johnson.

better days
12-28-2010, 01:29 PM

The 49ers could well win the division next year. It is the NFC West after all.

I could see McNabb on the Cards, 49ers or Vikings next year.

Akhippo
12-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Carolina - Bowers - They need a stud D lineman and from what I "know", Bowers is slightly better than Fairley or Dareus.

Denver - Peterson - With Champ choosing to hit FA, and the uncertainty of what a new HC will do defensively, I think Peterson will be the safest and soundest pick.

Cincy - Green - I think a new HC would be inclined to keep Carson. Why would you become a HC and then get rid of a talent at QB even if he has been down. You un OCHO and TO him. Let him team with Shipley and Gresham. Maybe a QB in the later rounds.

Buffalo - Either Fairley or Quinn - I hear Fairly could play DE in 34, can he turn the corner though? Quinn is unknown, but on potential, could be a dominate OLB. Question is do we go..

Fairely/Edwards - Troup/Williams - Carrington/Johnson
Moats - Poz - ??? - ???

or

Edwards/??? - Troup/Willliams - Carrington/Johnson
Moats - Poz - ??? - Quinn

T-Long
12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Quinn is very very intriguing. I see him as a potential Demarcus Ware clone.

Akhippo
12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Oh, and if we have to have to have to get a non first round QB; i would take Gabbert in the second.

I dont like the high uncertainty with Newton.
I dont like the mental aspect of Malletts game.
I dont like the on the field performance of Locker.

At least not in the first round.

Ickybaluky
12-28-2010, 02:33 PM
They have a really good pass rusher in Charles Johnson.

They also have a lot invested in Everette Brown, is on on IR right now.

They need DT help pretty badly, though.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-28-2010, 05:28 PM
i wouldnt be upset if we waited until round 2 to take a qb, its just there is more success with qbs in rd 1... not sure the value would be there in rd 2???

CAbills
12-29-2010, 08:48 PM
It worries me that Quinn hasn't played an entire year of football. Physical specimen, hasn't played in a year, big unknown, sounds like a Bills pick.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2010, 10:02 PM
A QB will go in the top 5 regardless if Luck declares or not.

If Luck stays in school someone will reach for either Locker, Newton or Mallett.

Akhippo
12-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Let AZ take Kolb for a 2nd
SF takes Newton
Seattle takes Locker
Minny takes McNabb
and the Dolphins takes Mallet

Bills take Fairley and Gabbert who looked a little like Brady in the shotgun the other day. Might be Gaileys kind of QB. Give me a RT in the third, and defense then on.

mysticsoto
12-30-2010, 08:37 AM
It worries me that Quinn hasn't played an entire year of football. Physical specimen, hasn't played in a year, big unknown, sounds like a Bills pick.

Agreed. And as a scout, that's what I'd be looking at and paying attention to. Has he kept in shape and been working out hard during the year, or has he just been slacking - just maintaining and thinking people will just go by what he has already shown? Theoretically, his body should not have alot of wear and tear, but now I'd be looking at if he put on muscle as well as his mental state...Is he driven/self motivated?

That's the sort of thing that would make me decide whether to take him or not. Perhaps someone else here has followed or knows enough about him to atleast partially answer those questions...

stuckincincy
12-30-2010, 08:48 AM
1. Carolina: A.J. Green WR Georgia
2. Denver: CB Patrick Petersen LSU
3. Cincinnati: DE Da'Quan Bowers Clemson
4. Buffalo: DE/DT Nick Fairley Auburn
5. SF 49ers: QB Cam Newton Auburn

Cincy: Bowers is the best DL on the board. Depending on Carson Palmer's situation, they may reach for a QB here, but they can't go wrong with Bowers here.

Dunno about a DE for CIN. They hope DEs Antwan Odom and Jonathane Fanene, as well as DT Tank Johnson all return from IR.

Also rookie DE Carlos Dunlap has 8 sacks in 11 games - I believe he's tied with the DET player Suh for the sack lead among rookies. '09's 3rd rounder Michael Johnson played a bunch at DE, because of injuries - they wanted to get him into a LB spot.

Because of the strength of their schedule, if CIN (very improbably) wins at BAL this Sunday, they could drop down as far as 9th according to the local reporters.

Skinflint owner Brown would prefer a drop to the 11th spot... :boom:

As mentioned later in this thread - a CB could be a possibility for them. Jonathan Joseph's contract is up. He's a good CB, but has struggled with injuries, missing 3 or 4 game per season - foot/ankle problems.

I can't offer much of an opinion on what the BUF needs - they are seldom on tv here, and like other cities, we get a steady diet of DAL-MIN-GB-NE-PHI-NYG games.

Thanks for starting this thread - I don't get into the swing of things until March or so, and I appreciate the early opinions!

k-oneputt
12-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Dunlap, another guy the "experts" dropped in the draft.

Lone Stranger
12-30-2010, 11:00 AM
It appears that there are excellent prospects at the number 4 slot. I'd like them to take the kid from Missouri in the 2nd round. He's got a rocket arm and a quick release.

Figster
12-30-2010, 11:01 AM

If we do go defense I also think Nick Fairley would be a good fit in Buffalo, (agree on Cam)

tampabay25690
12-30-2010, 12:02 PM
If we do go defense I also think Nick Fairley would be a good fit in Buffalo, (agree on Cam)

Fairley would be a nice player if we draft him.
The guy has been a beast in the SEC this year.
If he has great National Championship game he will be a lock in the top 5....

If Newton is solid in the National Championship game he will be gone in the top 10 NO DOUBT...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2010, 12:14 PM
i would be happy with cam newton, although i want him to sit for a year....

if we dont go qb i want dareus or fairley....

Bill Cody
12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure how much college football a lot of you guys watch. Cam Newton had a scandal in the background and he still won the Heisman hands down and rightly so Watch the game against Oregon and judge for yourself. I was a huge skeptic of Newton and he won me over. He has the whole package and even if he has to sit a year I can wait.

You don't get up this far in the draft too often, even we don't. Look at Miami. They took the stud LT instead of Matt Ryan and settled for a borderline backup at QB. That decision has made Tony Soprano look dumb. Soprano's IQ goes up 100 points if he has Ryan under center. I still want to see how Newton does on the Wonderlic (if he's Vince Young stupid forget it). But there isn't an OL or DL player in the league that's worth passing on a franchise QB for. I like Fitz but he is average at best and that ain't getting us a Lombardi.

stuckincincy
12-30-2010, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE= Watch the game against Oregon and judge for yourself. I was a huge skeptic of Newton and he won me over. He has the whole package and even if he has to sit a year I can wait.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see how he does in the NFL combine. He defaults to the run a lot, same as Tebow did, and as OSU's Pryor does.

Sorry - so far, I see another JaMarcus Russell - a sleek defensive end body playing college quarterback.

Bill Cody
12-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd like to see how he does in the NFL combine. He defaults to the run a lot, same as Tebow did, and as OSU's Pryor does.

Sorry - so far, I see another JaMarcus Russell - a sleek defensive end body playing college quarterback.

Jamarcus Russell came in to NFL camp looking like the pillsbury dough boy so the sleek comment doesn't wash, Newton looks chisled out of granite right now at least. Russell is also as dumb as a bag full of rocks. That to me is the main question you have here. Is Newton Vince Young or is he a better version of Daunte Culpepper? So I want to see the Wonderlic score a lot more than to see him throw to uncovered receivers at the Combine, I know he can do that fine.

I prefer my QB's not to run much but when you watch this guy run you ask yourself how hard he is to bring down because of his size and speed. That escapability will help him make plays in the passing game. The other thing I saw is the kid is accurate. Russell has a cannon for an arm but he's not very accurate. I saw Newton throw a couple of deep out patterns and the ball was right there and had a lot of zip on it. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, I just hope people watch the game and decide for themselves.