• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

The Bills Need A Franchise Run Defense

..If they ever expect to win more than 5 games in a season..

THAT...is all..
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: The Bills Need A Franchise Run Defense

no argument there. Question is how many new players is it going to take to get there.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

They didn't have a good rush defense when Jauron was here and won 7 games.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Novacane
        no argument there. Question is how many new players is it going to take to get there.
        Seven.

Oh wait...That's just the LBers...
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

We need better play calling. How many ****ing receivers/tight ends have we seen WIDE OPEN in the flats this season? Dink and dunk passes kill this team, and as for the run d... haha it's almost unfixable within a year. We need bigger bodies for push up front, and we need competent hole readers.
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Novacane
            Exactly...

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
              Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
              • Jan 2010

correct me if im wrong but didnt the saints and colts have bottom 1/3 run d last year?

we need a qb

Comment

• Jaybird
                • Dec 2005

been mentioning it for years on this board. We won't be a winning team untill we stop the run!!

Comment

• Night Train
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
                  Seven.

Oh wait...That's just the LBers...
                  Which is why I think this team should return to a full time 4-3 D.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                    Which is why I think this team should return to a full time 4-3 D.
                    Still need the same number of players imo.

We have horrid LB's in general with a couple of potential players. Our line is just not good overall and our DB may be the weakest unit of all.

3-4, 4-3, 3-3-5, 5-2, or the 46 isn't going help this craptastic unit.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                      ..If they ever expect to win more than 5 games in a season..

THAT...is all..
                      we had one.

Then we cut Sam Adams and let Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher and most importantly, Pat Williams walk.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                        Formerly MARCELL DAREUS POWER, now posting as DANNY BATTEN POWER
                        • Jan 2010

our LBS are horrible...

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                          They didn't have a good rush defence when Jauron was here and won 7 games.
                          by way of comparison, his rush defence was tremendously superior to this teams. Enter your offensive minded head coach, defences then get neglected quite often, and their performance suffers. I don't expect a drastic improvement in that department with Gailey as a HC, but I do agree with the OP that it is sorely needed here. Cold weather teams traditionally do better with superior defences as opposed to offences. Of course the good coaches ie (Belichick) find the balance in both. JMO

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                            by way of comparison, his rush defence was tremendously superior to this teams. Enter your offensive minded head coach, defences then get neglected quite often, and their performance suffers. I don't expect a drastic improvement in that department with Gailey as a HC, but I do agree with the OP that it is sorely needed here. Cold weather teams traditionally do better with superior defences as opposed to offences. Of course the good coaches ie (Belichick) find the balance in both. JMO

We gave up on average 2100 yards rushing each year while Jauron was here.

This year we're at 2438 yards rushing allowed.

So yes, we were a little better under Jauron than now but not tremendously superior.

By comparison last year we allowed 2501 yards rushing and won 6 games.

Is 6 wins or 7 wins good enough? Absolutely not, but I was just trying to show that the original posters point wasn't valid.

Comment

• Night Train
                              • Jul 2005

Yes, 6 wins is far better than 4..and still 4 games short of a wild card most years.

I agree with DB's points above and several others. My thoughts on wanting the 4-3 is that Kyle Williams would be far better as a 4-3 DT. Alex Carrington showed something late this season and needs to play a full season to see if he's got it. Spencer Johnson belongs as a backup and the coaches should see Stroud has hit the wall. Dwan Edwards ? Don't know.

So a big DT to play next to Williams (with Troup rotating in) and a DE who can bring the heat could be found quicker than 2-3 LB's in a 3-4. Agreed ? Aside from Kelsay (yuck), The LB's are currently Moats ( promising ), Coleman ( who I liked in limited duty before getting hurt ) Batten coming back and a pick or 2 in the midlle rounds. All those Vet FA LB's who were cut from other teams were outright terrible this season. That idea bombed.

The Bills ran the 4-3 heavily the 2nd half of the season. The run Defense was not perfect by any stretch but showed some promise, unlike the 3-4 where Williams was getting double teamed and the LB's behind him were not physical enough to do much of anything. Teams just crushed us.

Would anyone be upset if our first 2 picks were a Big DT and a pass rushing DE, in any order ? I sure wouldn't. It's more realistic, IMO.

Of course what the Bills do is anyones guess

Comment

Working...
                              X