PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez Rededicates Himself Emotionally

PA Season Ticket Holder
06-19-2003, 02:27 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. --- There were times during the 2002 season when Tony Gonzalez spoke volumes by saying nothing at all.

Take the day he was selected to his fourth straight Pro Bowl. Normally one of the most media-friendly members of the Kansas City Chiefs, Gonzalez made himself conspicuously unavailable on a occasion when even the most closed-mouthed players eagerly discuss the honor.

His funk never became a full-fledged sulk, mind you. Rarely did he do more than hint at his unhappiness.

Still, after missing the entire preseason while negotiating a new contract, then after signing a seven-year deal for the largest signing bonus ($10 million) ever paid a Chiefs player, Tony Gonzalez was in obvious distress as his contributions to the high-flying Kansas City offense fell to 63 catches --- his lowest total since a 59-catch campaign in 1998, his second NFL season.

He fought to remain stoic. Kansas City's offense, after all, was scoring more points than anyone in the league. It featured a phenomenon named Priest Holmes who was on the verge of breaking NFL records for single-season touchdowns and yards from scrimmage.

"You have to give him the ball, I understand that," Gonzalez said. "But I just want to contribute. I still feel like I could catch five balls a game, 80 receptions a year."

By season's end, though, after he'd caught four-or-fewer passes in 10 of 16 games, Gonzalez simply stopped talking.

Today, Tony Gonzalez swears he's emerged from the self-righteous doldrum in which he no longer cares to dwell.

"I've rededicated myself emotionally," he said this week as the Chiefs concluded their offseason training program. "I'm not worried about my catches this year. I'm not worried about my touchdowns. I'm worried only about winning games and getting to the Super Bowl.

http://nflplayers.com/news/news_release.asp?id=990