Anyone consider that Kyle Williams isn't really that good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Anyone consider that Kyle Williams isn't really that good?

On the surface, I think we would all agree that he is a stud inside. He is a playmaker, and always seems to be around the ball...

However, isn't the main job of a 3-4 Nose Tackle to keep bodies off of the MLB's? While watching games, I am consistently seeing Williams being pushed to one side, usually the off play side which opens a huge hole in the center of the defense and allows a guard to get to the "second level". This is exactly what he is supposed to be preventing.

Poz sucks, no doubt. But I am not so sure that Williams is as perfect as some of us like to think.
  • Mathja
    • Feb 2009

Re: Anyone consider that Kyle Williams isn't really that good?

He is really that good. He's just sort of playing out of position as a 3-4 nose tackle. I think the Bills have played a variation of defensive fronts during the 2nd half of the year, in part to take advantage of what Williams can do.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

I view Williams as a solid 4-3 DT who needs a Ted Washington type clogger lining up next to him. It would allow him more opportunities to slice into the backfield, which he's effective at.

The Bills have brought in many street FA NT types this past season to view. That kind of tips their hat that they may be looking for one early in this next draft.

The 4-3 was used more and more after the Bye when it was evident we couldn't stop a Division 3 team who could run the ball.

Is he a good NT in a 3-4 ? No. He's real good as a DT in a 4-3, if given some support around him. A big DT and a true MLB who isn't afraid to hit the hole would help.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jpdex12
        • Jan 2005

And Poz looks worse than he is because our D-line is weak! He's not an elite player, but he doesn't suck. Let's keep picking on Kelsay and Maybin who suck...Stroud was non-existant as well.
        Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Williams is a very good player. There is no doubting that.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

williams = good
            poz = bad
            stroud = terrible
            kelsay = putrid

3 reasons right there of why this defense sucks my nads
            Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
              williams = good
              poz = bad
              stroud = terrible
              kelsay = putrid

3 of those guys are playing something other than their natural position too.

Comment

• Cleve
                • Oct 2004

williams = good
                poz = bad
                stroud = terrible
                kelsay = putrid

Yeah - a good list. But out of those 4, the guy at the bottom of the list gets the juiciest contract from the management.

It's unbelievable how badly managed this team is.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• bf1
                  • Oct 2010

He stands out on a defense full of nobodies.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                    • Dec 2004

I used to think he was just pretty good, but he's been great this year, imo. The problem is that the other 6 guys in our starting front 7 are depth players at best (and that might be being too generous). He should have made the Pro Bowl, but it's easy to be ignored when you're on a team with one of the worst run defenses in NFL history.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

The defense is sucking your nads? No other analogy could have been used?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by TheBrownBear
                        I used to think he was just pretty good, but he's been great this year, imo.
                        This is kind of how I feel. I used to think of him as a high-motor overachiever, but a guy with a ceiling on how good he can be. He continues to get better and has blasted through the ceiling. Now I'm wondering if he is a Jay Ratliff-type of guy, a guy who wasn't thought much of coming into the league who has become a Pro Bowler.

He is really that good. Too many teams who play against him come away impressed. I know he has a couple years left on his deal, but he deserves to have his contract upgraded.

Comment

• HAMMER
                          I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                          The defense is sucking your nads? No other analogy could have been used?
                          It's his go to, I think he is thirteen.

Comment

• cocamide
                            • Oct 2006

The Pittsburgh game alone shows that Williams is playing at a very high level.

Comment

• Spiderweb
                              ....formerly OhBF
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
                              I view Williams as a solid 4-3 DT who needs a Ted Washington type clogger lining up next to him. It would allow him more opportunities to slice into the backfield, which he's effective at.

The Bills have brought in many street FA NT types this past season to view. That kind of tips their hat that they may be looking for one early in this next draft.

The 4-3 was used more and more after the Bye when it was evident we couldn't stop a Division 3 team who could run the ball.

Is he a good NT in a 3-4 ? No. He's real good as a DT in a 4-3, if given some support around him. A big DT and a true MLB who isn't afraid to hit the hole would help.
                              Kyle is a good player in a system not designed to use his penetrating ability. He is not a good NT, and if not used in conjunction with a huge space eater, he's not all that effective save for the game he had against Pitt and their weak Guard. Let's not forget he's been apart of the same team for the past 3-4 years or more that far too often gets run on at will by the opposition.

The Pats (smart), simply used combination and trap block on his and litterally too him out of the game. Stroud, Troup, Carrington, and Edwards simply failed along with the LB's to fill. As we all saw and have seen far too often this year, Williams can be schemed against effectively, especially since no other Bill is filling the voids left when teams seek to "neutralize WIlliams"
                              Spiderweb

Need a Hero? Try looking within your
                              own family. You might be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                              X