X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Rookies show big promise

The rookie class has been outstanding,” said head coach Chan Gailey. “We had some free agents that have come on and really played well for us this year. Our draft class was hurt a little bit this year with (Danny) Batten and Marcus (Easley) going out early, and Ed (Wang) working through thumb surgery, but we’ve been able to get some real help from some of the other guys that we drafted.”

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • paranoid
    • Sep 2009

Re: Rookies show big promise

I am interested to see how Wang develops. I don't know if his limited playing time was entirely due to his thumb injury or if he wasn't showing that he deserved to be out there.

I hope he can provide some competent depth, maybe in the role as a decent back-up swing lineman.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

The rookies were good, if you ignore Spiller and Troup. Oops.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Lone Stranger
        • Sep 2002

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Many fans, including me, would take a much different position than Mr. Gailey. Obviously, he has to support his boss, Mr. Nix, for his wise and brilliant selections.

Numbers 1-3 did little for the year.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Ouch!

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Even the optimists certainly have reason to be wary of this draft class. It certainly can't be counted as a success. However, it's far, far too early to count it as a failure.

First of all, two of our top three picks were DL. Especially in a 3-4, that position rarely contributes much their first year. Look at guys like Myron Pryor and Ron Brace their first year with the Pats. Look at BJ Raji and Ahtyba (sp?) Rubin.

Along the same vein, Spiller can't be counted out. He's shown flashes in all three aspects of his game (running, receiving, returning). Gailey did admit he's picked things up slower than expected, and he has a fumbling problem. However, he obviously has the talent and all of his problems appear to be ones that can be overcome.

Injuries have not helped this class at all. Easley and Batten could easily have been contributors by mid-season. Wang was not able to play for a long time.

Nearly everyone in the draft class was a developmental prospect. I hate parroting this as much as anyone, but we need to wait to see how good these guys truly are.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• T-Long
              Circling the Wagons since 1982.
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by psubills62
              Even the optimists certainly have reason to be wary of this draft class. It certainly can't be counted as a success. However, it's far, far too early to count it as a failure.

First of all, two of our top three picks were DL. Especially in a 3-4, that position rarely contributes much their first year. Look at guys like Myron Pryor and Ron Brace their first year with the Pats. Look at BJ Raji and Ahtyba (sp?) Rubin.

Along the same vein, Spiller can't be counted out. He's shown flashes in all three aspects of his game (running, receiving, returning). Gailey did admit he's picked things up slower than expected, and he has a fumbling problem. However, he obviously has the talent and all of his problems appear to be ones that can be overcome.

Injuries have not helped this class at all. Easley and Batten could easily have been contributors by mid-season. Wang was not able to play for a long time.

Nearly everyone in the draft class was a developmental prospect. I hate parroting this as much as anyone, but we need to wait to see how good these guys truly are.
              very well said. I know with the history of the Bills drafts in past years, there is going to be a lot of pessimism. But I still like this class, especially the free agents, and the verdict is still out on these guys. Nobody is a bust yet in my eyes.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by psubills62

Except that this article was about contributions THIS year, not evaluating the draft or future prospects. I'm even willing to give Carrington a pass, because he didn't get his opportunity til late and played well when he got it.

As far as this season goes, Troup did nothing and Spiller was a disappointment. It may be too soon to completely evaluate the draft class, but so far, it's same ****, different day: a few gems later in the draft or from UDFA's, but nothing from the top picks.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

Except that this article was about contributions THIS year, not evaluating the draft or future prospects. I'm even willing to give Carrington a pass, because he didn't get his opportunity til late and played well when he got it.

As far as this season goes, Troup did nothing and Spiller was a disappointment. It may be too soon to completely evaluate the draft class, but so far, it's same ****, different day: a few gems later in the draft or from UDFA's, but nothing from the top picks.
                  They were certainly a disappointment this year. I wasn't really commenting on the article (didn't even read it, tbh), I was just generally commenting on the rookie class.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                    • Jul 2002

Can't agree more. Spiller, Troup, and Carrington have to produce next year or Nix's first draft class will officially be a catastrophic failure.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • May 2009

did ngata come right in and help the ravens? serious question....

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts
                        did ngata come right in and help the ravens? serious question....
                        Haloti Ngata: 16 GS, 16 GP, 51 TT, 28 AST, 1 Sack, 3 PDF.

Torell Troup: 2 GS, 14 GP, 19 TT, 9 AST, 0 Sack, 2 PDF.

Not 100% sure how to judge that, since Haloti started every game, and if I can recall correctly he was on the outside of the D-Line.
                        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• tampabay25690
                          • Feb 2004

I think both have had flashes.
                          I think they will turn out to be solid picks....
                          Spiller will need to learn some things especially blocking....
                          GO Gators!!!!!!
                          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Grade incomplete for 2 more years. I don't see any McCargo, Maybin type busts yet.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• JCBills
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ServoBillieves
                              Haloti Ngata: 16 GS, 16 GP, 51 TT, 28 AST, 1 Sack, 3 PDF.

Torell Troup: 2 GS, 14 GP, 19 TT, 9 AST, 0 Sack, 2 PDF.

Not 100% sure how to judge that, since Haloti started every game, and if I can recall correctly he was on the outside of the D-Line.
                              Ngata was also the #12 pick.

Troup needs time to learn how to handle NFL O lineman.

Comment

Working...
                              X