PDA

View Full Version : Current NFL QBs I'd rather have than Fitz; and who I'd take Fitz over

Coach Sal
12-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Some parameters on this list.

--This is only a "current" NFL QB list. No college players considered.

--I only considered if I'd rather have that QB or Ryan Fitzpatrick as the Bills starter heading into 2011 without any other consideration attached. Basically a 1-for-1. No consideration of contract/money, trades, etc..

--I did not consider the future. I want to WIN NOW! So, if I was considering the next 4-5 years, as well as 2011, the list may be different. But I didn't. Again, this is just for 2011. Who would I rather have as my starter on opening day and would give the Bills the better chance of winning games in 2011?! This is why guys like Tebow and Stafford are not on my "over Fitz" list as of right now. Maybe at some point soon, but not yet (although Bradford has looked too good all season not to put him there).

--I included as many QBs who play as I can. Some teams used 2 or 3 QBs, I tried to include them all. But there have been a few guys who took snaps who are not included.

This is list is NOT a ranking or an any particular order!

QBs I'd rather have than Fitz heading into 2011
Brady
Roethlisberger
Flacco
P. Manning
E. Manning
Schaub
Rivers
Vick
Cutler
Rodgers
Freeman
Ryan
Brees
Bradford
Cassel
C. Palmer

I'd rather have than Fitz than these QBs heading into 2011
Sanchez
Henne
V. Young
K. Collins
McCoy
Garrard
Gradkowski
Campbell
McNabb
Romo
Grossman
Kitna
Stafford
Stanton
S. Hill
Favre
Webb
T. Jackson
Hasselbeck
Whitehurst
Clausen
M. Moore
A. Smith
T. Smith
Kolb
Orton
Tebow
D. Anderson
Delhomme
Skelton
S. Wallace
M. Hall
T. Edwards
Flynn
Batch
Thigpen
D. Dixon
Croyle
S. McGee

Some of these were very, very tough. Probably my toughest calls were: Kolb, Romo, C. Palmer, Orton, Cassel, Sanchez, Freeman

So, basically, Fitz ranks almost smack in the middle of the NFL on my list of current starting QBs.

Dr. Lecter
12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
As much as I am not a big fan, I might have Romo ahead of Fitz. Garrard too - he has been significantly better this season than last year.

But I would take Fitz ahead of Palmer - he is done. He has done nothing with Ochocinco and TO out there for him.

I am also not sold on Cutler. I know his talent is miles ahead of Fitz but I think he is about the dumbest QB in NFL and his attitude causes too many problems.

trapezeus
12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
palmer, flacco and schaub, i'd disagree on. the rest i'd say are right.

RockStar36
12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I think I'd rather have Fitz over Cutler and definitely over Palmer.

The rest of the list is pretty solid.

psubills62
12-29-2010, 12:07 PM
I think you've got Fitz around the right spot. People may agree or disagree on who is ahead of him or behind him, but he's in the appropriate spot for sure.

Flacco is iffy, and Palmer should definitely be behind, but it would be easy to argue for one or two guys to take Palmer's place in the first list.

DraftBoy
12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Id say you nailed it.

T-Long
12-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Only two I disagree on is Romo and Stafford (if healthy).

Bangarang
12-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Brian Brohm
Levi Brown

/list

wmoz11
12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd take Fitz over Palmer and Romo over Fitz. Other than that, I can't say there is much to disagree with. Nice list.

OpIv37
12-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Bottom line: no one who might actually be available is an upgrade over Fitz. So we better learn to live with him.

EDS
12-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I think you've got Fitz around the right spot. People may agree or disagree on who is ahead of him or behind him, but he's in the appropriate spot for sure.

Flacco is iffy, and Palmer should definitely be behind, but it would be easy to argue for one or two guys to take Palmer's place in the first list.

How is Flacco iffy?

RockStar36
12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
How is Flacco iffy?

Flacco has a very good team surrounding him. And I'm sure I could be missing a game here or there, but I can't think of one big game in Flacco's career where he played well and won the game for Baltimore. I can only think of big games where he was completely ineffective.

T-Long
12-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Flacco has a very good team surrounding him. And I'm sure I could be missing a game here or there, but I can't think of one big game in Flacco's career where he played well and won the game for Baltimore. I can only think of big games where he was completely ineffective.
he orchestrated a comeback against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh in October

RockStar36
12-29-2010, 12:48 PM
he orchestrated a comeback against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh in October

Which means nothing now. Big games are in December and January, not October.

Thief
12-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Romo, Stafford, or Kolb all day over Fitz. Garrard is 50/50.

T-Long
12-29-2010, 12:52 PM
I am taking that as a big game considering it is the best competition in their division and were playing in their stadium. That's a BIG win in my opinion

T-Long
12-29-2010, 12:54 PM
He also won his first playoff start as a rookie in 2008 against Miami.

He's also led the Ravens to the playoffs every single year that he has been their QB. That's pretty damn impressive.

RockStar36
12-29-2010, 12:55 PM
I am taking that as a big game considering it is the best competition in their division and were playing in their stadium. That's a BIG win in my opinion

Obviously our definition of "big" is totally different.

He won a road game in week four against a rival without their starting QB. Plan the parade.

EDS
12-29-2010, 12:56 PM

He's also led the Ravens to the playoffs every single year that he has been their QB. That's pretty damn impressive.

But Fitz has so many big game wins . . .

The King
I'd Take Garrad over Fitz.

RockStar36

HE didn't, the Ravens as a team did. Like I said, he is surrounded by a very good team.

Do you want to argue the merits of Trent Dilfer next?

T-Long
12-29-2010, 01:00 PM
HE didn't, the Ravens as a team did. Like I said, he is surrounded by a very good team.

yes HE did...he is the quarterback of the Ravens. Granted, they have and always had a great defense, but the Ravens have a very dangerous offense, especially now that they have a WR core. I am not going to argue about Trent Dilfer, because that team was completely different. Dilfer was a game manager with a very good RB and one of the best defenses ever. Flacco and Dilfer should not be compared in any sense. Flacco is a very good QB for only being in the league 3 years.

RockStar36
12-29-2010, 01:02 PM
yes HE did...he is the quarterback of the Ravens. Granted, they have and always had a great defense, but the Ravens have a very dangerous offense, especially now that they have a WR core. I am not going to argue about Trent Dilfer, because that team was completely different. Dilfer was a game manager with a very good RB and one of the best defenses ever. Flacco and Dilfer should not be compared in any sense. Flacco is a very good QB for only being in the league 3 years.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Flacco is good, but I'm not ready to say he is anything more than that yet. Maybe he'll prove me wrong in the next few weeks.

Nighthawk
12-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Romo and Stafford are a zillion times better then Fitz. Stafford's injury problems are a big concern, though.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2010, 03:53 PM
How does Kitna make the second list? He's basically the same guy as Fitzpatrick.

Unless you're taking age into consideration and think Fitz will be here for another contract, I don't see how Kitna makes the second list.

You needed a 3rd list that included interchangeable guys and included guys like Kitna.

SquishDaFish
12-29-2010, 03:53 PM
The only change I would make is Romo for Palmer otherwise nice job man

Mr. Pink
12-29-2010, 03:54 PM

The Dilfer argument is great.

If Baltimore won on defense and running alone, Tony Banks would have never been benched.

Nighthawk
12-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Bottom line: no one who might actually be available is an upgrade over Fitz. So we better learn to live with him.

For next year...yes. Going forward from there, no. I'd be pissed if they don't try to upgrade the QB position and it will show that this organization is still clueless.

RockStar36
12-29-2010, 06:24 PM
The Dilfer argument is great.

If Baltimore won on defense and running alone, Tony Banks would have never been benched.

Just because Dilfer was better than Tony Banks, that doesn't mean he was "great."

He was serviceable at the time and got the job done. He didn't lose games. Which is what Joe Flacco does quite often. Don't get me wrong, I like Joe Flacco and I hope Baltimore takes down Pittsburgh in the playoffs, I'm just not totally convinced he's an elite QB or will ever be. Like I said, maybe I'll be proven wrong in the next few weeks.

YardRat
12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
I would drop Palmer and Cutler, and Cassel is a push.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-29-2010, 07:41 PM
i would say fitz is in that 15-20 range... if we stay with him we are going to need a top running game and a top 3 run d, along with at least one ace pass rusher...

Night Train
12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Good list. Garrard & Kolb may be better than Fitz.

tomz
12-29-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't think that Cassel is on the first list. He might belong on the 'interchangeable' list. Palmer is also on the outs.

YardRat
12-29-2010, 08:21 PM
i would say fitz is in that 15-20 range... if we stay with him we are going to need a top running game and a top 3 run d, along with at least one ace pass rusher...

I don't care who the QB is, we should be looking for those anyway.

EDS
12-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Just because Dilfer was better than Tony Banks, that doesn't mean he was "great."

He was serviceable at the time and got the job done. He didn't lose games. Which is what Joe Flacco does quite often. Don't get me wrong, I like Joe Flacco and I hope Baltimore takes down Pittsburgh in the playoffs, I'm just not totally convinced he's an elite QB or will ever be. Like I said, maybe I'll be proven wrong in the next few weeks.

Yet Fitz is? The question is would you rather have Flacco or Fitz, and I think most rational people would take Flacco in a heartbeat, including almost all NFL coaches and front office types.

Beebe's Kid
12-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Yet Fitz is? The question is would you rather have Flacco or Fitz, and I think most rational people would take Flacco in a heartbeat, including almost all NFL coaches and front office types.

Don't know but I'm sure the fish have gotten worse :snicker:
I would take Fitz over Flacco. Does that make me irrational? I would say most head coaches and front office types would agree with me, but wouldn't that just be a little audacious of me to think that I truly know what they are thinking?

Dilfer...people keep saying how he was no good, but he's still polishing his ring.

Flacco and the Ravens, in Pittsburgh, is a big game, regardless of the week. For, what, ten years now, those games are crucial in the divisional outcome? Flacco won a big game...and in fairness, that is more than Fitz has done.

Unfortunately, for rationality, I like what I witnessed between Gailey and Fitz, and I want to see more. I want to see they relationship grow, while Buddy is doing what can for the rest of the roster.

I guess that I will be one of the few that also thing last Sunday was great for this team. Fitz needed to have that game against the Pats. I can tell you, almost for certain, that he is embarrassed to his core, and five will get you ten that he doesn't let that happen again.

I guess the long and short of it is we will have this argument posted 9000 times per week for the next 9 months... Well, we will also have Mitchell's "FA wouldya's" and 17 mock drafts/hour to keep us warm.

better days
12-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Romo and Stafford are a zillion times better then Fitz. Stafford's injury problems are a big concern, though.

I think Stafford has the potential to be a great QB but as you said, his injury problems may keep that from happening. He could be the next Chris Chandler a very good QB that could not stay healthy.

Coach Sal
12-30-2010, 12:48 AM
How does Kitna make the second list? He's basically the same guy as Fitzpatrick.

Unless you're taking age into consideration and think Fitz will be here for another contract, I don't see how Kitna makes the second list.

You needed a 3rd list that included interchangeable guys and included guys like Kitna.

Kitna will be 39 at the start of next season, and has had injuries throughout his already long career (although a very serviceable to good one). Yes, it's about age, but nothing to do with contract status.

You'd really feel more comfortable with a 39 year old with some injury histories starting under center next year for the Bills than Fitz? I wouldn't.

Ebenezer
12-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Fitz over Palmer
Gerrard over Fitz

RockStar36
12-30-2010, 07:39 AM

Maybe I'm missing it or I blacked out yesterday, but I can't find one post in this thread where I said "I would rather have Fitz over Flacco."

I am simply pointing out that Flacco isn't in that elite class of QBs with Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, etc.

EDS
12-30-2010, 08:15 AM
I would take Fitz over Flacco. Does that make me irrational? I would say most head coaches and front office types would agree with me, but wouldn't that just be a little audacious of me to think that I truly know what they are thinking?

Yes, that would be irrational.

EDS
12-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Maybe I'm missing it or I blacked out yesterday, but I can't find one post in this thread where I said "I would rather have Fitz over Flacco."

I am simply pointing out that Flacco isn't in that elite class of QBs with Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger, etc.

No one is saying Flacco is as good as Peyton, Brady or Brees. But, there is a very clear tier of QB below those three that includes guys like Flacco, Ryan, Rivers, etc., that is at least a cut above Fitzpatrick. All those guys have had success over a number of seasons, which evidences a level of consistency that Fitz has not demonstrated yet. If he has a second year of quality play than you might be able to include him in that group.

RockStar36
12-30-2010, 08:21 AM
My next question: How is Flacco in that top tier and Romo isn't?

RockStar36
12-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Joe Flacco's playoff history -

2008:
@ Miami - 9/23, 135 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 59.1 rating
@ Tennessee - 11/22, 161 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 89.4 rating
@ Pittsburgh - 13/30, 141 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT, 18.2 rating

2009:
@ New England - 4/10, 34 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT, 10.0 rating
@ Indianapolis - 20/35, 189 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 48.4 rating

Totals: 57/120, 660 yards, 1 TD, 6 INT, 46.5 rating

THRILLHO
12-30-2010, 08:28 AM
The name on your list that stings the most is Roethlisberger because we could have had him!

People here were against it at the time. But put it this way now: If you could trade Spiller for Ben (even with a 4 game suspension) would you do it?

EDS
12-30-2010, 08:56 AM
The name on your list that stings the most is Roethlisberger because we could have had him!

People here were against it at the time. But put it this way now: If you could trade Spiller for Ben (even with a 4 game suspension) would you do it?

I would trade any three players on the Bills roster for Big Ben or any other top QB.

BillsWin
12-30-2010, 09:02 AM

To the Baltimore Ravens, who are always striving for the playoffs, a win against Pittsburgh is huge in that division no matter when it is.

RockStar36
12-30-2010, 09:18 AM
To the Baltimore Ravens, who are always striving for the playoffs, a win against Pittsburgh is huge in that division no matter when it is.

It's so big that they won the division! (Yes I know, Pittsburgh hasn't won the division, but it will be a miracle if they don't)

Oh wait, that particular game (at home, in December) was won by Pittsburgh.

An interesting note on that game: Baltimore had the lead with less than 5 minutes remaining in the game and Flacco fumbled the ball leading to the Steelers game winning TD three plays later.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Kitna will be 39 at the start of next season, and has had injuries throughout his already long career (although a very serviceable to good one). Yes, it's about age, but nothing to do with contract status.

You'd really feel more comfortable with a 39 year old with some injury histories starting under center next year for the Bills than Fitz? I wouldn't.

For one more season and one more season only, I'd feel just the same with Kitna being the starter next year as I would Fitz.

If I'm taking 3 years down the line into account, I go with Fitz.

Coach Sal
12-30-2010, 11:15 AM
For one more season and one more season only, I'd feel just the same with Kitna being the starter next year as I would Fitz.

If I'm taking 3 years down the line into account, I go with Fitz.

As I said earlier, I only counted 2011, nothing beyond.......and that all pushes went to Fitz because he's already here with these coaches and these players.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
How is Fitz better than Tony Romo lol

Coach Sal
01-03-2011, 09:20 PM
How is Fitz better than Tony Romo lol

Why don't you tell me how Romo is so much better.

With him, his team was awful this season.

Without him, his team was pretty good.

He's never won a playoff game.

He is not at all considered any sort of leader.

He's also 2 years older than Fitz and coming off a broken collar bone.

I put some thought into the thread, whether you disagree or agree with the list. So, how bout putting some insight into your post, as well? Why would Romo be such a better choice for the 2011 Bills than Ryan Fitzpatrick? A lot of people in this thread disagree with your "LOL" and agree they'd rather have Fitz.

Philagape
01-03-2011, 09:23 PM
For fantasy football, I'd want Romo.
For actual football, I'd want Fitz.

RockStar36
01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
I guess I was wrong about Flacco. He really took care of Pittsburgh when it counted.

CuseJetsFan83
01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
see that list is a pretty good compairison, but coach sal, were you referring to QB's to take charge of games or clock management??

fitz has a lot of smarts, and is a pretty mobile qb.

build a nice o line and d-line and the rest of the pieces shall fall into place

X-Era
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Can Fitz get you to the playoffs and the SB?

If the answer is no, then the search continues.

Night Train
01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
I guess I was wrong about Flacco. He really took care of Pittsburgh when it counted.
Yup. He looked more like Joe Flaccid in crunch time.

ParanoidAndroid
01-19-2011, 05:34 AM

When I watched that game, I hadn't read this thread. I told my friend during the second half that I would rather have Fitz than Flacco in that situation. Flacco was mostly inaccurate and floating his passes all game long.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Can Fitz get you to the playoffs and the SB?

If the answer is no, then the search continues.

he might be able to man. i mean who knows how far we would have went in 99 if flutie would have started...