PDA

View Full Version : Marty Schottenheimer chimes in on Buddy Nix

T-Long
12-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Saw this on another board and thought I would share.

Marty Shottenheimer was talking to Peter King about his days In S.d . One of the things he mentioned is how Buddy was the Go to guy when it came to evaluating players for the draft . He said the A.j relied heavily on Buddy for all matters on draft day . He basically said no one is better at evaluating players then Buddy Nix. Take it for what it is worth, form your own opinions. That said I think Buddy is doing a great job. Look at all the talent brought in either through undrafted Free agents or through the waiver process. While the Bills are still lacky in several areas the top to bottom quality is greatly improved in his first year. Can't wait to see what he does in his first offseason after having a year to evaluate his current talent.

Mr. Miyagi
12-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Are we now quoting somebody who is quoting somebody?

Mr. Pink
12-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Why is it we always seem to get these people who are well respected in league circles that come here and absolutely suck?

justasportsfan
12-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Why is it we always seem to get these people who are well respected in league circles that come here and absolutely suck?
Its too early to say he sucks don't you think?

justasportsfan
12-29-2010, 09:30 PM

I can quote someone too from a message board "bumbling buddy Nix"

Mad Max
12-29-2010, 09:33 PM

Because Ralph doesn't want any young whipper snappers around that may sass him. So he hires guys that are within a couple of decades of his age...who the game has long since passed by??

Donablow- check
Marv- check
Nix- half a check (he get's another 2 seasons)

Jaybird
12-29-2010, 09:34 PM
i don't understand all the hate against Nix. He even said it would take a few seasons

Joe Fo Sho
12-29-2010, 09:47 PM

Haha, kinda like forking a forked thread?

tampabay25690
12-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Saw this on another board and thought I would share.

T I heard the same conversation the other day.
Marty was basically telling Peter that the Bills are in good hands with Buddy at the helm....

PromoTheRobot
12-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Yes, bf1 has as much cred as Marty. :lol:

PTR

Mr. Pink
12-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, bf1 has as much cred as Marty. :lol:

PTR

Marty has as much cred as the league circles who said Donahoe was a great hire.

Don't Panic
12-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Nix has done fine thus far. Anyone who is judging him thus far is premature and/or just mired in the neg. I'm excited to see what he can do with a top 5 pick.

Mr. Pink
12-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Nix has done fine thus far. Anyone who is judging him thus far is premature and/or just mired in the neg. I'm excited to see what he can do with a top 5 pick.

We already saw what he can do what a top 10 pick. Blow it on Reggie Bush 2.0.

I can't wait to see what he has in store for us this April!

BTW we won't be picking in the top 5.

Buffalogic
12-29-2010, 11:42 PM

BTW we won't be picking in the top 5.Lol hater. One season apparently is enough to say Nix sucks and Spiller is a bust. Amusing!

One thing about SD throughout the 2000s was they got an incredible amount of players of quality talent as undrafted signees. Nix has already mimicked that here in Buffalo with David Nelson and Donald Jones and I don't think we've heard the last of Antonio Coleman either.

In a season or two we're going to be that really good team that seemingly came out of nowhere that's filled with young talent.

djjimkelly
12-30-2010, 12:37 AM
im fine with everything nix has done except the spiller pick

Coach Sal
12-30-2010, 12:45 AM
Marty has always said stuff like this about Nix.

When the Bills were searching for a coach, he said on an interview on Sirius NFL Radio: "They don't need a big name, just a good coach, because Buddy will find players. Buddy always finds players."

I still remember that and this reminds me of it.

bosshogg21
12-30-2010, 02:56 AM
The thing about spiller that's amusing is he hardly touches the ball. Would you people call McFadden a bust for finally breaking out in his 3rd season?

T-Long
12-30-2010, 07:10 AM
much easier to just copy and paste what the guy said then to write a paragraph as if I was the one who heard it.

Mahdi
12-30-2010, 07:34 AM

BTW we won't be picking in the top 5.
2 things there.

First, Reggie Bush is invaluable to the Saints offense. They need that guy and he brings them a whole other dimension to their offense.

Second, people like yourself were calling Darren McFadden a bust also and those people are now very very quiet.

I think Spiller will be the MVP of the team next year.

Saratoga Slim
12-30-2010, 07:41 AM

The quote is more or less accurate - I heard this conversation. Marty has been doing a Sirius radio spot with Peter King this week.

EDS
12-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Marty and Buddy are best buddies, of course he is going to say something positive about him.

Don't Panic
12-30-2010, 08:13 AM

...and even if he's not, he will be a valuable part of our offense. I have little doubt about that.

Fun... who would you have taken at #9 if you were making the call?

madness
12-30-2010, 09:39 AM

My favorite has always been "He blew the Maybin pick!". That's not even ignorance, it's straight stupidity.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2010, 10:16 AM
...and even if he's not, he will be a valuable part of our offense. I have little doubt about that.

Fun... who would you have taken at #9 if you were making the call?

I've said it many times because people wanted the playmaker...Dez Bryant.

Mahdi
12-30-2010, 11:05 AM
I've said it many times because people wanted the playmaker...Dez Bryant.
That was my second favorite player in the draft so I would not have complained.

My only reason for wanting Spiller over him was that I felt we were not strong at QB anyways and we would be a run heavy team so a RB with Spiller's skills would be of much more use.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2010, 11:12 AM
That was my second favorite player in the draft so I would not have complained.

My only reason for wanting Spiller over him was that I felt we were not strong at QB anyways and we would be a run heavy team so a RB with Spiller's skills would be of much more use.

At the time of the draft we had more of a need at WR than RB though. Without Spiller being drafted, Lynch likely is still here.

Of course if we drafted Bryant, Stevie Johnson might not have emerged.

better days
12-30-2010, 11:37 AM
At the time of the draft we had more of a need at WR than RB though. Without Spiller being drafted, Lynch likely is still here.

Of course if we drafted Bryant, Stevie Johnson might not have emerged.

Bryant is the perfect example why you do not draft a WR in the top 10. The Cowboys will finish last in their division......in a year Jerry was talking Super Bowl.

I think the Bills had plans to rid themselves of Lynch, hence the Spiller pick.

Ickybaluky
12-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Bryant is the perfect example why you do not draft a WR in the top 10. The Cowboys will finish last in their division......in a year Jerry was talking Super Bowl.

I think the Bills had plans to rid themselves of Lynch, hence the Spiller pick.

Dallas is finishing last in their division because their defense sucks, not because they took Bryant.

Dez Bryant is an amazing talent, a difference-maker in the passing game and as a returner. He was a great pick for Dallas.

chernobylwraiths
12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
i don't understand all the hate against Nix. He even said it would take a few seasons

Me either.

better days
12-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Dallas is finishing last in their division because their defense sucks, not because they took Bryant.

Dez Bryant is an amazing talent, a difference-maker in the passing game and as a returner. He was a great pick for Dallas.

He made such a difference that Dallas finished last. That is my point. No WR makes that big of a difference in a teams won/lost record. Your favorite team is an excellent example of what I am saying.

mightysimi
12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
I know Spiller has looked far from awesome in his first season but for someone who doesn't get on the field that much, when he is there, how can the defence not be thinking run? They can probably sell out against the run with Spiller in the backfield and be right 80-90% of the time. Until he becomes a more everyday player, with a D guessing, you won't be able to properly evaluate him.

Ickybaluky
12-30-2010, 12:09 PM
He made such a difference that Dallas finished last. That is my point. No WR makes that big of a difference in a teams won/lost record. Your favorite team is an excellent example of what I am saying.

You can say that about any position, than maybe QB. However, watching Dez Bryant play it is apparent he is going to be a terrific player, unless injury ends his career prematurely. He was incredible when he played this year, he is a special talent.

I guess what gets in my craw is that some feel they have to put down other players to justify another player. Once a guy enters the NFL, where he was drafted really isn't relevant. He either becomes a great player or doesn't.

better days
12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
You can say that about any position, than maybe QB. However, watching Dez Bryant play it is apparent he is going to be a terrific player, unless injury ends his career prematurely. He was incredible when he played this year, he is a special talent.

No you can not say that about any position. A DT, LB or DE can have a much greater impact on the game than any WR.

Stevie Johnson was also incredible this year & it is apparent he is going to be a terrific player......& he was not a 1st rnd pick.

I'm sure you think Bill Belichick is a genious. Tell my how many WR's has he drafted in the 1st rnd, let alone the top 10.

I am not putting down Dez. I am saying no WR is worth a top 10 pick.

EDS
12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
No you can not say that about any position. A DT, LB or DE can have a much greater impact on the game than any WR.

Stevie Johnson was also incredible this year & it is apparent he is going to be a terrific player......& he was not a 1st rnd pick.

I'm sure you think Bill Belichick is a genious. Tell my how many WR's has he drafted in the 1st rnd, let alone the top 10.

Can't you make the same argument for running back?

In general I agree that RBs and WRs are not the best positions to target with high first round draft picks.

Historian
12-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Hell, I'm just happy that the marketing guy isn't making pro personnel decisions anymore...

better days
12-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Can't you make the same argument for running back?

In general I agree that RBs and WRs are not the best positions to target with high first round draft picks.

Well a RB touches the ball much more than a WR in a game so I think they have a little more impact. Spiller not only runs the ball, but also returns kicks & catches passes. They finally threw him a long one which I hope to see much more of next year.

EDS
12-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Well a RB touches the ball much more than a WR in a game so I think they have a little more impact. Spiller not only runs the ball, but also returns kicks & catches passes. They finally threw him a long one which I hope to see much more of next year.

Bryant is a return man too. In fact he returned two punts for touchdowns before going out for the season with an injury.

In all, he scored 8 touchdowns. But no impact there.

theanswer74
12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
The thing about spiller that's amusing is he hardly touches the ball. Would you people call McFadden a bust for finally breaking out in his 3rd season?

Look at Jamaal Charles in KC. Gailey never played him as a rookie. Probably for similar reasons he hasnt played Spiller.

EDS
12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
2 things there.

First, Reggie Bush is invaluable to the Saints offense. They need that guy and he brings them a whole other dimension to their offense.

Second, people like yourself were calling Darren McFadden a bust also and those people are now very very quiet.

McFadden was injured his rookie year I believe. He also is younger than Spiller, despite now being a third year pro, so from a physical and mental development perspective, you would expect him to have a slower learning curve in the NFL.

Demon
12-30-2010, 01:37 PM

It might take longer then even he expected if he keeps drafting bums like Spiller and Troup.

Beebe's Kid
12-30-2010, 01:58 PM
McFadden was injured his rookie year I believe. He also is younger than Spiller, despite now being a third year pro, so from a physical and mental development perspective, you would expect him to have a slower learning curve in the NFL.

Like Maybin...oh ****...he's a Bill so that's different.

EDS
12-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Like Maybin...oh ****...he's a Bill so that's different.

Maybin was another guy who came into the league at a very young age. Problem is he has not shown any improvement in year two, which is why he is on his way to selling insurance for a living.

Night Train
12-30-2010, 03:04 PM
The Fall Guy was such a stupid show.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2010, 03:34 PM

McFadden 113 499 4 4.4ypc
Spiller 71 278 0 3.9 ypc

Even as a rookie McFadden looked like a better rusher than Spiller.

McFadden 29 285 0
Spiller 24 157 1

Looks like McFadden was a better receiving weapon too.

McFadden 3 fumbles 1 lost
Spiller 5 fumbles 3 lost

Guess McFadden was better at protecting the ball too as a rookie.

Oops. And yes, McFadden is about 3 weeks younger than Spiller.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Look at Jamaal Charles in KC. Gailey never played him as a rookie. Probably for similar reasons he hasnt played Spiller.

And he got fired there too because Haley didn't agree with his offensive philosophy.

And look what the KC offense is now without Gailey?

Exactly.

better days
12-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Bryant is a return man too. In fact he returned two punts for touchdowns before going out for the season with an injury.

In all, he scored 8 touchdowns. But no impact there.

Well, Stevie Johnson scored 10 TD's. Just as much if not more an impact as Bryant. The Bucs drafted Arrelious Benn in the 3rd & Mike Williams in the 4th. They may both have as good a career as Bryant. Maybe better if Bryant can't stay healthy.

Mr. Pink
12-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Well, Stevie Johnson scored 10 TD's. Just as much if not more an impact as Bryant. The Bucs drafted Arrelious Benn in the 3rd & Mike Williams in the 4th. They may both have as good a career as Bryant. Maybe better if Bryant can't stay healthy.

And undrafted RBs Christopher Ivory and LaGarette Blount have had much more impact than Spiller. Your point?

better days
12-30-2010, 03:50 PM
And undrafted RBs Christopher Ivory and LaGarette Blount have had much more impact than Spiller. Your point?

Exactly, that is my point. I would hope to see the Bills start drafting like the Pats* Draft from the inside out.

theanswer74
12-30-2010, 07:21 PM
And he got fired there too because Haley didn't agree with his offensive philosophy.

And look what the KC offense is now without Gailey?

Exactly.

Are you saying Gailey cant coach offense? thats like saying Mularkey cant coach offense because he was bad here.

John Doe
12-31-2010, 06:43 AM
The reason Bryant lasted so long in the draft was due to "character issues" - he had a lot of them. There was no way that any team was going to pick him in the top 10.

Spiller was a model citizen.