PDA

View Full Version : danny batten?

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2010, 12:18 PM
would anyone be suprised if danny batten starts next year at strong side olb? he is very strong (30) reps and fast, quick, etc. good hand use.

he seems like he could be a koa misi type... could he beat out kelsay?

im thinking merriman or moats start at the jack next year... or we pick someone up in the draft etc.

HAMMER
12-30-2010, 12:24 PM
I keep seeing people talking about Merriman, he is not a Bill and very likely won't even get an offer.

EDS
12-30-2010, 12:48 PM
would anyone be suprised if danny batten starts next year at strong side olb? he is very strong (30) reps and fast, quick, etc. good hand use.

he seems like he could be a koa misi type... could he beat out kelsay?

im thinking merriman or moats start at the jack next year... or we pick someone up in the draft etc.

I read that he is now studying/working at ILB.

theanswer74
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I keep seeing people talking about Merriman, he is not a Bill and very likely won't even get an offer.

Dont be so sure. Merriman is a Nix guy. I dont know what Nix's plans are for Merriman. He may see Merriman as a pro bowl OLB still and uses the franchise tag on him.

OpIv37
12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Merriman is gone. He never wanted to be here in the first place.

As far as Batten, our LB's are TERRIBLE. It will be a big disappointment if he and Moats both aren't starting next year.

Beebe's Kid
12-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Sure...a 6th round pick that didn't make it through camp his rookie year??? I wouldn't be surprised if he was an All-Pro next year.

Dude..this guy might be good...maybe even really good to great, but he hasn't even played yet.

I appreciate the excitement for the team, as I think many do, but how can we really have a good discussion on what Danny Batten means to next years team???

OpIv37
12-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Sure...a 6th round pick that didn't make it through camp his rookie year??? I wouldn't be surprised if he was an All-Pro next year.

Dude..this guy might be good...maybe even really good to great, but he hasn't even played yet.

I appreciate the excitement for the team, as I think many do, but how can we really have a good discussion on what Danny Batten means to next years team???

it's a testament to
a) how bad our current LB's are and
b) how little faith we have in the FO to look outside the current roster to do something about it.

RockStar36
12-30-2010, 01:39 PM
There is 0% chance Nix franchises Merriman. If you think that, I suggest you put the pipe down.

Beebe's Kid
12-30-2010, 01:39 PM

As far as Batten, our LB's are TERRIBLE. It will be a big disappointment if he and Moats both aren't starting next year.

The only way this isn't true is if we are the only one that offers a real contract.

Odds are low, because:

1. I don't see us offering this guy big money... Kelsay signing was bad (still don't think Nix had anything to do with it,) but could you imagine if we put the Franchise tag on Merriman???

2. Somebody is going to take a chance on him. Somebody is going to pay him wayyy too much money. Hell, he may even end up earning it, but moves are all gambles, of varying degrees of risk....Merriman is not a risk I would want to wrap up millions of dollars in.

If Merriman doesn't get the offer he thinks he should, and we are, somehow, the highest bidder for a reasonable amount...he may come back. I doubt it, and I think the whole thing stunk, so I wouldn't offer him anything.

Beebe's Kid
12-30-2010, 01:49 PM
it's a testament to
a) how bad our current LB's are and
b) how little faith we have in the FO to look outside the current roster to do something about it.

The few games that he was able to play, half way healthy, I can say that I didn't hate Reggie Torbor as bad as I thought I would.

Andra Davis wasn't really a bad pick up...again, before the injury that landed him on IR.

I am well aware of how you feel about last off-season...it took some reading between the lines, but I was able to come away with a conclusion that you didn't like it. I didn't exactly get all hot and bothered about it, but the CBA had everything all ****ered up. Hopefully they get **** settled, and this year's FA class is comparable to most years, and we can actually add some serious quality.

We can quote the Who, and put the "whoa is us" spin on everything, but Nix is a new GM, and I think that a year of hands on evaluation of the talent by he and Chan will be huge for them, in terms of moving forward.

I guess that as we move into the off-season, we'll all assume our normal positions... Mitchell with his mocks, and "should we sign" threads, you with your "here we go again," and "meet the new boss..," and me with my Kool-Aid and pom-poms.

Thief
12-30-2010, 02:05 PM

I appreciate the excitement for the team, as I think many do, but how can we really have a good discussion on what Danny Batten means to next years team??? I don't know.... but if he was a 7th rounder or undrafted he would be a shoe in.

Ebenezer
12-30-2010, 02:39 PM

I got 1000ZBs that says Batten doesn't even make the team next year.

justasportsfan
12-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm in.

Night Train
12-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Who knows ? He's rehabbing and no one has seen him.

That's quite a leap of faith. To me, he's just like any unproven draft pick going into our next camp. A candidate for a roster spot.

There's a fine line between blind faith and a vivid imagination without any substance.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-30-2010, 02:58 PM

how does kelsay make the team but batten doesnt???

PromoTheRobot
12-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Dont be so sure. Merriman is a Nix guy. I dont know what Nix's plans are for Merriman. He may see Merriman as a pro bowl OLB still and uses the franchise tag on him.

Franchise tag???? Pay top 5 money to a guy who hurts himself stretching? Merriman may be a Bill but it will be for a minimum contract after no other team wants him.

PTR

Dr. Lecter
12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Huh?

Ebenezer
12-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Huh?
I thought it was pretty clear.

ServoBillieves
12-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Too many LB's, too little talent.

YardRat
12-30-2010, 06:10 PM
would anyone be suprised if danny batten starts next year at strong side olb?

Considering the dearth of talent we have at LBer, no, it wouldn't surprise me. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he would be any better than any of the other guys we currently have on the roster.

TigerJ
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
WAY too early to put him down as a starter, even if you're writing in pencil. He'll get a chance to show what he can do in training camp and the coaching staff will start evaluating him then. He's got to show he can make the jump from division 2, or whatever level it was that he played his college ball at.

tampabay25690
12-30-2010, 10:38 PM
how does kelsay make the team but batten doesnt???
Whats wrong with Kelsay??
Sometimes I wonder if you even watch bills football.....

Spiderweb
12-31-2010, 01:10 AM

The only positive I can muster on Batten is that Gailey has mentioned him a couple times of late in his media events. He must have made a favorable impression in the time he got to see him. Yet, this is still a long way from a possible starter, let alone star.

Jan Reimers
12-31-2010, 05:32 AM
My Crystal Ball isn't working nearly well enough to predict how a rookie 6th round pick from a small school, injured in training camp, might perform next year.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-31-2010, 06:12 AM
i tell ya, a 90% shawne merriman and nick fairley would do wonders for this defense...

justasportsfan
12-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I thought it was pretty clear.

so we're set?

Ebenezer
12-31-2010, 03:59 PM
so we're set?
1000 ZBs going out to you if Batten makes the final 53 man roster next year.

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2010, 07:25 PM
i tell ya, a 90% shawne merriman and nick fairley would do wonders for this defense...

I love how you think 1 or 2 people are all this team needs. You seem to always say 'this guy would do wonders' and 'we NEED that guy' and 'if we had this guy...'

Truth is, it's gonna take more than one guy and 90% of some guy who hasn't played in 2 years. I don't think they'd do 'wonders' for us. Maybe they'd improve our D, but not THAT much.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-31-2010, 07:43 PM
I love how you think 1 or 2 people are all this team needs. You seem to always say 'this guy would do wonders' and 'we NEED that guy' and 'if we had this guy...'

Truth is, it's gonna take more than one guy and 90% of some guy who hasn't played in 2 years. I don't think they'd do 'wonders' for us. Maybe they'd improve our D, but not THAT much.

dude relax, of course we need more upgrades... im just saying if both those guys potential becomes actual, we could really improve...

DraftBoy
01-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Ill take that bet. You have no idea how hard this kid will work. That's easy money for me.

DraftBoy
01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I read that he is now studying/working at ILB.

He should be, he's a better fit inside in a 3-4, which is something I said when we drafted him. The idea that he was an OLB and Moats was an ILB was a colossal fail by our coaching staff. Thankfully they quickly fixed that.

DraftBoy
01-01-2011, 09:00 PM
WAY too early to put him down as a starter, even if you're writing in pencil. He'll get a chance to show what he can do in training camp and the coaching staff will start evaluating him then. He's got to show he can make the jump from division 2, or whatever level it was that he played his college ball at.
FCS not D2

Captain Obvious
01-01-2011, 09:06 PM

You've been more and more wrong lately.. It's too the point you're wrong just as much as the homers are...

Dr. Lecter
01-01-2011, 09:46 PM
lol!!

I can't wait for the "I really wasn't wrong" spin!!!

Spiderweb
01-02-2011, 03:12 AM

hummmmm....not to late to edit the above.

Yasgur's Farm
01-02-2011, 07:38 AM
The few games that he was able to play, half way healthy, I can say that I didn't hate Reggie Torbor as bad as I thought I would.

Andra Davis wasn't really a bad pick up...again, before the injury that landed him on IR.

I am well aware of how you feel about last off-season...it took some reading between the lines, but I was able to come away with a conclusion that you didn't like it. I didn't exactly get all hot and bothered about it, but the CBA had everything all ****ered up. Hopefully they get **** settled, and this year's FA class is comparable to most years, and we can actually add some serious quality.

We can quote the Who, and put the "whoa is us" spin on everything, but Nix is a new GM, and I think that a year of hands on evaluation of the talent by he and Chan will be huge for them, in terms of moving forward.

I guess that as we move into the off-season, we'll all assume our normal positions... Mitchell with his mocks, and "should we sign" threads, you with your "here we go again," and "meet the new boss..," and me with my Kool-Aid and pom-poms.Let's not overlook the CEO type contributions of the humble HHURICANE.