PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe on 49ers Radar

IAG
12-30-2010, 09:54 PM
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/12/sundquist-lates.html

People will bad mouth him here, but I think Bills ownership always cut him off at the knees. He was great in Pittsburgh. I would love to see him get one more chance in the league to see if it was Wilson or was it Donahoe.

It sounds like the in house candidate will get the gig in SF. I have read that Donahoe wants to stay out of the mix until the CBA is solved.

Buffalogic
12-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Great in free agency, terrible drafter.

NOT THE DUDE...
12-31-2010, 01:20 AM
great in fa, bad at drafting...

Crisis
12-31-2010, 01:40 AM
bad drafter, great at picking up free agents?

NOT THE DUDE...
12-31-2010, 01:56 AM

spikes, fletcher, adams, milloy, vincent, villarial, gandy, campbell, bledsoe. not bad

drafting...

mike williams- 4th overall...
josh reed
ryan denney
coy wire
tim anderson
losman- traded a first
mcgahee
kelsay
.... kinda bad...

kingJofNYC
12-31-2010, 02:14 AM
Yeah, but what about guys like Greer and Peters? Would we put Peters/Greer under the Free Agent category, or draft? Regardless, one of the two may end up in the HoF, and the other is pretty good corner. Too bad the old regime dumped both.

IAG
12-31-2010, 05:38 AM
TD just never found that QB. Just never happened.

I think his tenure would have started out smoother if he kept Flutie.

Oh well...

NOT THE DUDE...
12-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Yeah, but what about guys like Greer and Peters? Would we put Peters/Greer under the Free Agent category, or draft? Regardless, one of the two may end up in the HoF, and the other is pretty good corner. Too bad the old regime dumped both.

rookie free agents that turn out good are not entirely the result of good scouting... its obvious that donadope passed on these players in the regular draft. plus rfa can sign where they want, plus with so many players a gm is bound to hit on a few rfa players...

SquishDaFish
12-31-2010, 06:57 AM
I agree he deserves another chance. Im sure the higher powers here in Buffalo screwed him

Ginger Vitis
12-31-2010, 07:10 AM
I thought TD had free rein to do as he pleased and didn't have a lot of interference from RW?

SquishDaFish
12-31-2010, 07:12 AM
Wilson has always and prob always will interfere.

streetkings01
12-31-2010, 08:03 AM
I would've loved if Nix were to handle the draft and Donahoe were to handle free agents.......this team would be stacked right now.

Night Train
12-31-2010, 08:36 AM
TD was always too smart for his own good and never wanted another situation like Pittsburgh, where he lost a power struggle to Cowher.

He hired Greggo & Mularkey (bad) because they wouldn't challange his power. Signed some good FA's but never completed the job. Fell in love with Bledsoe (bad). Fell in love with Mike Williams & Roscoe during pre-draft workouts, ignoring the rankings of his scouts. Our drafts were pretty brutal during his tenure.

I was more than happy to see him leave. He set this franchise back for years and then Ralph compounded the problem by overreacting and hiring unqualified cronies (Marv & Brandon) to continue the downward spiral.

trapezeus
12-31-2010, 09:13 AM
His inability to get coaches at a high level due to his spat with cowher weakened his chances of turning a great d into a fantastic team. That cowher complex also affected his drafting. He wanted to prove he was some genius evaluator.

Joe Fo Sho
12-31-2010, 09:17 AM

I'd say he's better at free agency than the draft. I've also heard that he drafts poorly while picking up good free agents.

Bill Cody
12-31-2010, 09:51 AM
2 MAJOR problems he had here:

1) he hired not one but 2 poor head coaches

2) He did an absolutely terrible job building an OL. His major draft effort, Mike Williams, was a total bust. He gave up on Drew Bledsoe but the real problem was he failed to build a pro OL.

Oldbillsfan
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Donahoe had his chance and he blew it. At least he helped the Pats win a couple championships.

ServoBillieves
12-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Great in FA, bad at drafting.

Wait...

IAG
12-31-2010, 02:07 PM
I do not think Mularkey is a bad coach.

I never liked Gregggggggg Williams. However, he probably deserves another shot with the great work he has done with the Saints.

better days
12-31-2010, 02:36 PM
I do not think Mularkey is a bad coach.

I never liked Gregggggggg Williams. However, he probably deserves another shot with the great work he has done with the Saints.

Williams is a very good DC but it was very telling that Snyder did not hire him as HC when he had him as HC in waiting all those years. I will be surprised if he ever gets another shot.

PromoTheRobot
12-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Donahoe had full control in Buffalo. He left a mess. No excuses.

PTR

IAG
12-31-2010, 03:08 PM
The last time they had a winning record, TD was in charge. We are so far away from that now.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 08:26 AM
donadope took mike williams instead of mckinnie, and reed instead of branch, enough said....

oh yeah, he took kelsay instead of umenyiora...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 08:28 AM
was donahoe better than jaroun, yes. but thats not saying much...

if we would have had a better 02/03/04 draft, which was critical, then maybe things would have been different...

YardRat
01-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Tough call for TDono if he does get the job. Mularkey or Williams?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 01:41 PM
if the 49ers are smart, they should hire jimmy johnson as gm/personnel guy. hes to old for coaching, but he is a great talent evaluator...

better days
01-01-2011, 02:16 PM
if the 49ers are smart, they should hire jimmy johnson as gm/personnel guy. hes to old for coaching, but he is a great talent evaluator...

Johnson is happy, living down in the keys, fishing whenever he wants, works about 30 days a year on TV. He will never leave the keys to go to the West Coast.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Johnson is happy, living down in the keys, fishing whenever he wants, works about 30 days a year on TV. He will never leave the keys to go to the West Coast.

enough money and he will...

better days
01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
enough money and he will...

No he won't. He has plenty of money & is paid very well by Fox. I have heard him on the radio down here. I just repeated what I heard him say. He is very happy with his life, living in the keys & will never take an NFL job again. That is what he said.

Edit: I could see him taking the job with Miami that Parcells had because it would not interfere with his life too much, even though he has said he never would take an NFL job again.

Michael82
01-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Donahoe was a horrible GM! He's the main reason to blame for the last 11 years with no playoffs! He had total control of the team and sucked at picking head coaches, sucked with the draft, gave us Tom Modrak and John Guy. I'm thrilled that he's gone. Don't forget, it was because of how bad he did with total control that terrified Ralph into giving anyone total control again and that brought us the Marv/Jauron era, and then Russ Brandon as GM. :ill:

Buffalogic
01-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Tom D is pretty much the root of all evil as far as bills fans are concerned.

IAG
01-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Donahoe was a horrible GM! He's the main reason to blame for the last 11 years with no playoffs! He had total control of the team and sucked at picking head coaches, sucked with the draft, gave us Tom Modrak and John Guy. I'm thrilled that he's gone. Don't forget, it was because of how bad he did with total control that terrified Ralph into giving anyone total control again and that brought us the Marv/Jauron era, and then Russ Brandon as GM. :ill:

That is so completely wrong. We were relevant with Donahoe. We won more than four games after the cap hell we had to go through. We had a legit defense. We were in the national conversation when we picked up Spikes, Bledsoe and McGahee.

Now, all we have is a "feel good" story of the Bills "playing hard" in the face of starting 0-8.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 07:58 AM
That is so completely wrong. We were relevant with Donahoe. We won more than four games after the cap hell we had to go through. We had a legit defense. We were in the national conversation when we picked up Spikes, Bledsoe and McGahee.

Now, all we have is a "feel good" story of the Bills "playing hard" in the face of starting 0-8.

Donohoe's choices for HC, poor record in the draft and trading away picks for players are a pretty big reason why we're no longer relevant. He basically mortgaged the future, and we've been paying for it over the last few seasons. I think Mikey nailed it.

IAG
01-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Donohoe's choices for HC, poor record in the draft and trading away picks for players are a pretty big reason why we're no longer relevant. He basically mortgaged the future, and we've been paying for it over the last few seasons. I think Mikey nailed it.

Gregg Williams will be better in his second chance. Destroyed Manning in the Super Bowl btw.

Mike Mularkey is the best coach the Bills have had since Marv. His work with Matt Ryan has been awesome. He will get a job again very soon.

TD's drafts got us more players than the last two regimes. The fact the last two regimes have re-signed players like Kelsay, Evans, Moorman, Lindell and Parrish tells me still years later the best players on the team come from the Donahoe's era.

He did not mortgage squat. Ralph Wilson is a cheap owner that has a 1980's mentality to running a team.

You are telling me that the 2004 team has less talent the today's squad?

Players like Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Aaron Schobel, Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Lawyer Milloy, Jonas Jennings, Eric Moulds, Travis Henry were all legit players.

Today, we celebrate Arthur Moats.

TrEd FTW
01-02-2011, 10:54 AM

I can't believe it took two pages for someone to call you on this. Peters in the the Hall of Fame? Are you ****ing serious?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Gregg Williams will be better in his second chance. Destroyed Manning in the Super Bowl btw.

Mike Mularkey is the best coach the Bills have had since Marv. His work with Matt Ryan has been awesome. He will get a job again very soon.

TD's drafts got us more players than the last two regimes. The fact the last two regimes have re-signed players like Kelsay, Evans, Moorman, Lindell and Parrish tells me still years later the best players on the team come from the Donahoe's era.

He did not mortgage squat. Ralph Wilson is a cheap owner that has a 1980's mentality to running a team.

You are telling me that the 2004 team has less talent the today's squad?

Players like Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Aaron Schobel, Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Nate Clements, Lawyer Milloy, Jonas Jennings, Eric Moulds, Travis Henry were all legit players.

Today, we celebrate Arthur Moats.

he ****ed up big with jp losman.... the 2002 and 2004 drafts were horrendous... those 3 things killed this team under donahoe. he is a bad gm

Michael82
01-02-2011, 11:03 AM

And the only reason why all those good FAs came here was because Donahoe had total control and shelled out the bucks to bring them here. One Donahoe was fired, Ralph was terrified to give anyone else control and didn't want to pay the big bucks for the FAs either.

Michael82
01-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Neither coach will get a second chance. Williams was supposed to be the heir apparent in Washington and didn't get the job after Gibbs retired.

Mularkey was horrible as an OC in Miami and is only doing good in Atlanta because of all the talent he has to work with

Michael82
01-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I can't believe it took two pages for someone to call you on this. Peters in the the Hall of Fame? Are you ****ing serious?

:rofl: I missed that one. Ask the Eagles fans how they like that overpaid LT in Philly. They ***** about him all the time. He's so ****ing overrated, it's not even funny.

IAG
01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Neither coach will get a second chance. Williams was supposed to be the heir apparent in Washington and didn't get the job after Gibbs retired.

Mularkey was horrible as an OC in Miami and is only doing good in Atlanta because of all the talent he has to work with

Want to bet?

Betcha I am correct.

SquishDaFish
01-02-2011, 05:28 PM

That dumbass post didnt deserve a response LOL

IAG
01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
The brutal 4 wins this year was Donahoe's fault too.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2011, 03:36 AM

unreal.... jason peters in the hall of fame is like having mike gandy in the hall of fame. im not perfect but i agree tr, this is literally the dumbest post i have ever read...

IAG
01-04-2011, 12:36 PM
TD was always too smart for his own good and never wanted another situation like Pittsburgh, where he lost a power struggle to Cowher.

He hired Greggo & Mularkey (bad) because they wouldn't challange his power. Signed some good FA's but never completed the job. Fell in love with Bledsoe (bad). Fell in love with Mike Williams & Roscoe during pre-draft workouts, ignoring the rankings of his scouts. Our drafts were pretty brutal during his tenure.

I was more than happy to see him leave. He set this franchise back for years and then Ralph compounded the problem by overreacting and hiring unqualified cronies (Marv & Brandon) to continue the downward spiral.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/broncos-to-interview-mike-mularkey/

Not going to coach again, eh?

IAG
01-05-2011, 01:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/05/broncos-to-interview-gregg-williams-perry-fewell/

Not going to coach again, eh?