PDA

View Full Version : Shawne Merriman: "....if your a Bills fan I have some exciting news coming!"

Coach Sal
12-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Interesting. From his twitter account:

I said #2011 is about accomplishing its also about proving and if your a #Bills fan I have some exciting news coming!!!

http://twitter.com/#!/shawnemerriman

I'd actually like to see him back in a Bills uni, as long as they don't pay him a boatload. But otherwise there's no risk at all in keeping him around for camp to see if he's healed and can contribute.

BillsWin
12-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Merriman and Moats... Hmmmmm

G Wolly
12-31-2010, 11:38 PM
He's gonna assassinate Ralph?

Coach Sal
12-31-2010, 11:39 PM
He's gonna assassinate Ralph?

I was reading his "response timeline" and some of the things people responded to him were funny. Maybe cruel, but funny.

homeslice5484
12-31-2010, 11:45 PM
This season was all about evaluating and tryouts. I have absolutely no program giving him a new contract with incentives based on stats and time played. We now need 2 starting LBs if he is healthy.

cocamide
12-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Got for it if we can get him cheap. Maybe he can teach Maybin what a QB looks like.

G Wolly
12-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Maybe he can teach Maybin what a QB looks like.

What?

clumping platelets
01-01-2011, 12:01 AM
I'd love a chance to see him play in a Bills uniform. Qualify it "at the right price".

cocamide
01-01-2011, 12:04 AM
What?

I was trying to imply that Maybin's never been close to a QB so he doesn't know what one looks like.

G Wolly
01-01-2011, 12:06 AM
I was trying to imply that Maybin's never been close to a QB so he doesn't know what one looks like.

Oh.

Good one.

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2011, 12:18 AM
this leads me to believe that there is a new contract with merriman about to be signed. i wouldn't mind it at all.

jcdavey
01-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Merriman and Moats... Hmmmmm
merriman said basically the same thing on twitter, but for the chargers, the past 2 seasons

this guy talks alot without delivering, since the titans broke him

YardRat
01-01-2011, 12:59 AM
He better come cheap.

pats-were-right
01-01-2011, 02:24 AM
He better come cheap.

Do the Bills sign them any other way?

:bullseye: :couch:

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 06:29 AM
could be he has a contract, or hes drunk and wants to play a joke...

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Exciting news from Merriman? He is going to talk some defensive free agents to sign here?

bigbub2352
01-01-2011, 08:27 AM
we got nothing to lose

bf1
01-01-2011, 08:49 AM
He'll fake another injury.

SabreEleven
01-01-2011, 08:54 AM

I think Wolly was the only one not to get the joke...He was THAT guy.

SabreEleven
01-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Interesting. From his twitter account:

I'd actually like to see him back in a Bills uni, as long as they don't pay him a boatload. But otherwise there's no risk at all in keeping him around for camp to see if he's healed and can contribute.

Was he ever in a Bills uniform?

Spiderweb
01-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Was he ever in a Bills uniform?
I do believe he donned a pair of Bills gym shorts for about 15 minutes or so.....

If he signs a contract with the Bills, I would not be displeased. Yet, one has to wonder if he will be able to overcome his lingering injuries since he showed he wasn't able to in 2010.

mikemac2001
01-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Maybe the full year off plus offseason gets this guy finally healthy
not my money we would be spending so who cares

Thief
01-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Give him the key to the city!

Figster
01-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Maybe the full year off plus offseason gets this guy finally healthy
not my money we would be spending so who cares

My thoughts also Mikemac, a healthy Shawn Merriman in a Bills uni would be awesome.

Night Train
01-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Once you get off the Roids, you lose mass. He's got one last shot in the NFL and an entire off-season to work himself into roid free shape. He hasn't done much of anything in 3 years.

I'll give him a chance but still view him as a long shot, if he even stays. Go ahead and insert him in your imaginary starting lineup with Batten.

Plus if he's another guy who thinks he needs to tweet every conscious thought, I'll defintely be skeptical. See Maybin.

I wouldn't be surprised if his agent found out that no other team has an ounce of interest in him.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Once you get off the Roids, you lose mass. He's got one last shot in the NFL and an entire off-season to work himself into roid free shape. He hasn't done much of anything in 3 years.

I'll give him a chance but still view him as a long shot, if he even stays. Go ahead and insert him in your imaginary starting lineup with Batten.

Plus if he's another guy who thinks he needs to tweet every conscious thought, I'll defintely be skeptical. See Maybin.

I wouldn't be surprised if his agent found out that no other team has an ounce of interest in him.

Im not so sure it was roids as it was more so the knee injury... he suffered it in 2008, wasnt the same at all in 09, and 2010 was full of minor injuries. a full season of healing up, maybe he can get back to his form... there is no risk...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 10:28 AM
hes only 27...

TacklingDummy
01-01-2011, 11:00 AM
He better come cheap.
He should get double what Kelsay got.

YardRat
01-01-2011, 11:06 AM
He should get double what Kelsay got.

I'd be OK with that, if Kelsay had gotten half of what he actually signed for.

Saratoga Slim
01-01-2011, 11:57 AM
I think it's a risk worth taking, as long as they don't pay him enough to preclude aggressive pursuit of other OLB free agents. A shame that Batten was IR'd, would be very nice to know what we have there. I remember Kawika Mitchell tweeting in camp that Batten was a heckuva football player.

YardRat
01-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I still wanna go after Woodley and Harris.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 01:08 PM

if they could get harris to play ilb next to poz that would be very cool! i dont think its unrealistic for buffalo to get one big fa

JCBills
01-01-2011, 01:36 PM

That would make our D unreal. Poz would finally have a thumper next to him which would allow him to fly to the ball. Woodley can hold down the strong side as good as anyone and obviously can get to the QB. Between Moats, Coleman, Batten, and now possibly Merriman, (what a shame Maybin can't even be mentioned, that pick is going to sting like hell for a while) we should be able to pull a starting ROLB out of that bunch.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 01:38 PM
That would make our D unreal. Poz would finally have a thumper next to him which would allow him to fly to the ball. Woodley can hold down the strong side as good as anyone and obviously can get to the QB. Between Moats, Coleman, Batten, and now possibly Merriman, (what a shame Maybin can't even be mentioned, that pick is going to sting like hell for a while) we should be able to pull a starting ROLB out of that bunch.

what would happen to kelsay, they just gave him a new 4 year deal, hes going to start for at least one more year.

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2011, 01:44 PM
what would happen to kelsay, they just gave him a new 4 year deal, hes going to start for at least one more year.

who cares, give him the boot

JCBills
01-01-2011, 01:44 PM

If we can land a guy like Woodley, who cares. Kelsay isn't quick enough to be very effective standing up. Washington just gave McNabb a massive contract and he's now 3rd string. Sure, play him when we're in 4-3 looks, but OLB is a massive need for when we're in the 3-4.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 01:53 PM
If we can land a guy like Woodley, who cares. Kelsay isn't quick enough to be very effective standing up. Washington just gave McNabb a massive contract and he's now 3rd string. Sure, play him when we're in 4-3 looks, but OLB is a massive need for when we're in the 3-4.

could you imagine this front 7 fully healthy-

marcell dareus
kyle williams
alex carrington
shawne merriman
paul posluszny
david harris
lamar woodley

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcdavey
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Im not so sure it was roids as it was more so the knee injury... he suffered it in 2008, wasnt the same at all in 09, and 2010 was full of minor injuries. a full season of healing up, maybe he can get back to his form... there is no risk...
yeah it wasn't roids that was his downfall...it was the titans...they simply broke him

BILLSROCK1212
01-01-2011, 04:20 PM
could you imagine this front 7 fully healthy-

marcell dareus
kyle williams
alex carrington
shawne merriman
paul posluszny
david harris
lamar woodley

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Madden??

JD
01-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I was reading his "response timeline" and some of the things people responded to him were funny. Maybe cruel, but funny. Like this one?

What your gonna fake an injury with a new team next season? @shawnemerriman

ZAZusmc03
01-01-2011, 05:41 PM
How do you read the response's?

BillsFever21
01-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Wow I'm very surprised he signed here. I didn't think he would be here. I can handle only 2.5 million of guaranteed money.

I think the guy is done though unless he starts juicing again. Since being caught he hasn't done anything and can't stay healthy. For only 2.5 million guaranteed it's worth the risk though.

For him signing for this little amount without testing FA you know him and his agent don't feel he is worth very much. If they felt they could've gotten more then they would've went for it in FA. It's not like Merriman is a stand up guy. At least if he stays injured we're only out 2.5 million.

The overall value of the contract will be determined by how easy it is for him to reach the incentives. I doubt he could've gotten much more even in FA in guaranteed money. He's basically been injured for the past few years all but a better part of one season and he was worthless in that season. They must have felt that the possible incentives he could make would be higher now then if he tested FA. Especially with the new CBA and possible lockout still up in the air. Hopefully it works out for us though.

seanbillsfan
01-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Yeah I am very surprised about this. Especially the timing of it

better days
01-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow I'm very surprised he signed here. I didn't think he would be here. I can handle only 2.5 million of guaranteed money.

I think the guy is done though unless he starts juicing again. Since being caught he hasn't done anything and can't stay healthy. For only 2.5 million guaranteed it's worth the risk though.

For him signing for this little amount without testing FA you know him and his agent don't feel he is worth very much. If they felt they could've gotten more then they would've went for it in FA. It's not like Merriman is a stand up guy. At least if he stays injured we're only out 2.5 million.

The overall value of the contract will be determined by how easy it is for him to reach the incentives. I doubt he could've gotten much more even in FA in guaranteed money. He's basically been injured for the past few years all but a better part of one season and he was worthless in that season. They must have felt that the possible incentives he could make would be higher now then if he tested FA. Especially with the new CBA and possible lockout still up in the air. Hopefully it works out for us though.

I would bet one of the incentives is games played. Easy to reach if he plays well but if the Bills are not happy with his play, they can sit him so he does not reach that incentive.

TigerJ
01-01-2011, 06:10 PM
this leads me to believe that there is a new contract with merriman about to be signed. i wouldn't mind it at all.I don't know that it means a signing is imminent, but at least he sounds like he thinks he's a Bill in 2011. If he can get his body healed up and play like he did his first couple years, that would be terrific. Of course, every player pretty much thinks he's God's gift to the world, but if he can get 8 or 10- sacks that would instantly improve the Bills' pass defense.

BillsFever21
01-01-2011, 06:24 PM
I just saw the numbers. He will average a little over 5 million a season if he makes the team. Will make up to 9+ million a year if he reaches all the incentives.

I hope the incentives are geared more towards his production then just games played. What good is the games played if he is a shadow of his old self like a couple years ago. That would be a lot of money just for the games played.

The way this guy is he could make out like a bandit of over 5 million next year if he makes the roster and then is injured most of the year. I don't see many other teams offering him 5+ million if he made the team and up to 10 million with the incentives. He was smart to take the contract when he has the chance. I'm sure he will make the team no matter what so he is guranteed at least 5+ million next year. Not bad for somebody who has played about 1 season's worth of games in the last 3 years.

Many will proclaim him a superstar still just because we signed him. I still have my doubts though. He had couple good seasons till he got caught juicing then hasn't been anything the last few years since. For our sake I hope he works out though.

James Harrison signed a contract last year for an average of a little over 8 million a year so for Merriman to get 5+ million next year and up to 9+ million with incentives on average it was a pretty good deal for him if you ask me. Especially since he hasn't done anything since his first couple years in the league.

The Bills give Kelsay 6 million a year but a guy like Harrison gets 8+ million on average. That shows how much we got robbed. And to think we have given him a contract like that twice now.

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't know that it means a signing is imminent, but at least he sounds like he thinks he's a Bill in 2011. If he can get his body healed up and play like he did his first couple years, that would be terrific. Of course, every player pretty much thinks he's God's gift to the world, but if he can get 8 or 10- sacks that would instantly improve the Bills' pass defense.

correct me if i am wrong but didn't he sign a 2 year contract with the bills today? at least that's what i'm getting from reading the threads on here.

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I just saw the numbers. He will average a little over 5 million a season if he makes the team. Will make up to 9+ million a year if he reaches all the incentives.

I hope the incentives are geared more towards his production then just games played. What good is the games played if he is a shadow of his old self like a couple years ago. That would be a lot of money just for the games played.

The way this guy is he could make out like a bandit of over 5 million next year if he makes the roster and then is injured most of the year. I don't see many other teams offering him 5+ million if he made the team and up to 10 million with the incentives. He was smart to take the contract when he has the chance. I'm sure he will make the team no matter what so he is guranteed at least 5+ million next year. Not bad for somebody who has played about 1 season's worth of games in the last 3 years.

Many will proclaim him a superstar still just because we signed him. I still have my doubts though. He had couple good seasons till he got caught juicing then hasn't been anything the last few years since. For our sake I hope he works out though.

James Harrison signed a contract last year for an average of a little over 8 million a year so for Merriman to get 5+ million next year and up to 9+ million with incentives on average it was a pretty good deal for him if you ask me. Especially since he hasn't done anything since his first couple years in the league.

The Bills give Kelsay 6 million a year but a guy like Harrison gets 8+ million on average. That shows how much we got robbed. And to think we have given him a contract like that twice now.

haters be hatin'

Mr. Miyagi
01-01-2011, 07:14 PM
So what's the exciting news already? I have the attention span of a parrot.

justasportsfan
01-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Don't know if I'm more worried about his being injury prone after the roids or that he doesn't know how to use "you're"

TacklingDummy
01-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Ralph is cheap