PDA

View Full Version : Where does the Merriman re-signing leave us for the draft?

BILLSROCK1212
01-01-2011, 04:30 PM
It may mean that the Bills want to get a QB in the draft. If we can sign another OLB or even w/ our current LBers we may have a solid foundation there to the point where we don't need to draft an OLB in the first round (maybe ILB later on or sign one)

But now this probably means our biggest need is QB (still not saying Merriman will be a stud as starter) or we go offensive line and plug in the holes, maybe cornerback since there are some strong prospects there

What do you guys think? Sorry about the lack of grammar...didn't care to use much of it...

psubills62
01-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't think there's an OLB worth the top 5 anyway. To me, Merriman doesn't change anything. If he happens to return to form, then he'll probably leave for the money after 2 years. We still need a starting-level OLB.

Yasgur's Farm
01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I got no LB worthy of a top 20 pick.

YardRat
Unless he plans on playing the dline, we're still in the same boat we were this morning before he signed. QB is still far from our biggest need, and if Dareus or Peterson are there when we pick we have to grab them.

OpIv37
I don't think it should have any effect on our draft whatsoever. Merriman hasn't proven that he's recovered from his injuries so there's a chance he might not make the team.

On top of that, our LB's were by far the weakest spot on a very weak team. Even if Merriman does come back and play at a high level, we still need LB's.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 04:38 PM
we need at least one new starter at ilb, and a back up ilb. wouldnt hurt to add another pass rushing olb too...

we need to replace stroud and johnson too... this draft will be about front 7...

OpIv37
01-01-2011, 04:42 PM
we need at least one new starter at ilb, and a back up ilb. wouldnt hurt to add another pass rushing olb too...

we need to replace stroud and johnson too... this draft will be about front 7...

you don't see the need for an OLB? Who's going to provide pass rush? Kelsay?

Raptor
R.Quinn was the only OLB worth a top 10 pick and considering he was suspended for most of the year and only has one real year of great production I doubt that Nix would have really considered him anyway

Outside of a late round Draft pick or a low level FA I think we are rolling into TC season with

Kelsay
Merriman
Moats
Maybin
Batten
A.Coleman
Torbor
1 or 2 FA/Late DP

All competing for spots. Im fine with that I guess

dannyek71
RB . Freddie is about 30

YardRat
01-01-2011, 04:51 PM
R.Quinn was the only OLB worth a top 10 pick and considering he was suspended for most of the year and only has one real year of great production I doubt that Nix would have really considered him anyway

Outside of a late round Draft pick or a low level FA I think we are rolling into TC season with

Kelsay
Merriman
Moats
Maybin
Batten
A.Coleman
Torbor
1 or 2 FA/Late DP

I'm not. I want a top-level talent from FA...at least one. I realize wishing for two is way too much.

Raptor
01-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm not. I want a top-level talent from FA...at least one. I realize wishing for two is way too much.

Which one do you want? Woodley is the only one worth a big deal but there is no way Pitt is letting him walk

mrbojanglezs
01-01-2011, 05:02 PM
we need a stud Dlineman like a DE

better days
01-01-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't think there's an OLB worth the top 5 anyway. To me, Merriman doesn't change anything. If he happens to return to form, then he'll probably leave for the money after 2 years. We still need a starting-level OLB.

Well, Buddy has said he will spend Ralphs money resigning Bills rather than expensive FA from other teams. I think Merriman will enjoy playing in Buffalo & if he plays well, I could see him being resigned. I do agree about drafting a LB though, just not in the 1st rnd.

YardRat
Which one do you want? Woodley is the only one worth a big deal but there is no way Pitt is letting him walk

Woodley or Harris would be nice.

Raptor
we need a stud Dlineman like a DE

I am firmly on the Dareus bandwagon. If he declares I want him to be a Bill

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I am firmly on the Dareus bandwagon. If he declares I want him to be a Bill

outside of luck, me too i think... i like mallett and gabbert, but with fitz being a top 15qb, we could get really good fast adding dareus... he has all the tools..

i can see our 4 man pass rush on 3rd and long being

merriman

williams

carrington

dareus

bigbub2352
01-01-2011, 05:17 PM
mallett please

Dr. Lecter
01-01-2011, 05:46 PM
mallett please
Not top 5.

BillsFever21
01-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't think it will change one thing for our draft. At least it shouldn't change our approach. We need more then one LB and you can't depend on his health or production one bit. Even if it did work out we still need more then just him.

The worse thing that could happen is for them to pass on a good LB and then Merriman continue being a china doll or not performing at all. He has basically done nothing in the last 3 years.

Raptor
01-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Woodley or Harris would be nice.

This signing wouldnt affect a Harris signing because he plays in the middle and Woodley as stated wont be leaving the Steelers. They will sign him long term or tag him

Raptor
01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't think it will change one thing for our draft. At least it shouldn't change our approach. We need more then one LB and you can't depend on his health or production one bit. Even if it did work out we still need more then just him.

The worse thing that could happen is for them to pass on a good LB and then Merriman continue being a china doll or not performing at all. He has basically done nothing in the last 3 years.

I think it will affect how we rank OLB's, ILB it will have no affect on

tampabay25690
01-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Don't think it changes anything...........
Draft a dominate DL, QB of the future..........
TE, OT, DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE...............
If this is a good draft this team could be much improved going into the 2011 season..............

Mahdi
01-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I am one of the strongest Fitz supporters but I have a hard time passing on Newton.

tampabay25690
01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I am one of the strongest Fitz supporters but I have a hard time passing on Newton.

I almost agree too...
I think Newton is a rare breed of QB that only comes around once in a while........

Beebe's Kid
01-01-2011, 08:24 PM
I almost agree too...
I think Newton is a rare breed of QB that only comes around once in a while........
This may be...
Would we sign him, and have to pay his dad too...
How long is a while? If is every 5 years, I think we could wait...
An ellipses is only three periods...

Newton vs. Defense.

As much as I prefer to go D and roll with my nephew, Fitzy, I thing Newton may be worth a long look. I trust Buddy... Boy it feels good to say that.

DraftBoy
01-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Nothing changes as of now. You still target a pass rusher in FA, though I dont think they look at a big name unless its an ILB.

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
i think this is ****ing hilarious considering all those people that said merriman would never sign in buffalo.

TigerJ
01-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Kelsay
Merriman
Moats
Maybin
Batten
A.Coleman
Torbor
1 or 2 FA/Late DP

I agree pretty much. Quinn may have elite talent, but character issues aside, not having played this year is a red flag that likely keeps him out of Nix's top five players available. It may have been a long shot for the Bills to draft him before the Merriman signing. Now there's no chance. I still think the most likely draft pick is one of three: Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers. Apart from Luck, I don't think there is a QB in the draft who is anywere close to being a certain starter next season. Luck may not enter the draft, and if he does, he won't last until the Bills pick. I think Nix is feeling some heat from the lack of production the Bills got out of Spiller this season, and I think he wants a starter out of his first round pick.

psubills62
01-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I almost agree too...

Nah..."overrated" is not a rare breed.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I agree pretty much. Quinn may have elite talent, but character issues aside, not having played this year is a red flag that likely keeps him out of Nix's top five players available. It may have been a long shot for the Bills to draft him before the Merriman signing. Now there's no chance. I still think the most likely draft pick is one of three: Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers. Apart from Luck, I don't think there is a QB in the draft who is anywere close to being a certain starter next season. Luck may not enter the draft, and if he does, he won't last until the Bills pick. I think Nix is feeling some heat from the lack of production the Bills got out of Spiller this season, and I think he wants a starter out of his first round pick.

i agree that the spiller pick might force nix to go with dareus or fairley... we need a impact starter. and with merriman signing, say he gets back to form, we need another top pass rusher to take double teams off merriman....

Ed
01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't expect it to change anything. Merriman still has a lot to prove, but I don't think there are any LB's worthy of a top 5 pick anyway.

Right now my guess for our first pick would still be one of the top D-lineman, CB Patrick Petersen, or QB Cam Newton.

Personally, I'm always a fan of trading down if possible.

TacklingDummy
01-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Championship!!!

NOT THE DUDE...
01-01-2011, 11:10 PM
i think if we pick 8 or 9 we might trade down or take clayborn/cam jordan/ryan mallett/gabe carimi... i dont think fairley, dareus, peterson, bowers will be there...

BertSquirtgum
01-01-2011, 11:18 PM
i wish the bills would actually use cj spiller, so far that pick has been an eye sore.

Night Train
01-02-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm still of the position that the Bills are playing primarily in a 4-3 set, since it was obvious Williams could not play NT but was very good as a DT. Less need for Lb's but trying to find a true MLB like Harris would be wise. Poz is not the answer and is a UFA.

So the draft should be focused on DL with 2 of our first 3 picks.

Jan Reimers
01-02-2011, 07:04 AM
It really changes nothing. Our needs are exactly the same as they were, because you can't assume that Merriman will ever again be anywhere near the player he once was.

jamze132
01-02-2011, 07:47 AM
We are in the same boat we were yesterday. His signing, although awesome changes nothing as far as the draft is concerned.

tampabay25690
01-02-2011, 08:18 AM
This may be...
Would we sign him, and have to pay his dad too...
How long is a while? If is every 5 years, I think we could wait...
An ellipses is only three periods...

Newton vs. Defense.

As much as I prefer to go D and roll with my nephew, Fitzy, I thing Newton may be worth a long look. I trust Buddy... Boy it feels good to say that.

Who cares about his dad.
If Newton is the guy we really like then we take him.
I still think Defense is the way to go but if we have top 5 pick it's hard to ignore a QB if the Bills think he can make a difference.......

tampabay25690
01-02-2011, 08:21 AM

Come on MAN........
Overrated that's just stupid you would say that. (NOT CALLING YOU STUPID)..
But come on man..........
The guy took over College ball this year......

BILLSROCK1212
01-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Come on MAN........
Overrated that's just stupid you would say that. (NOT CALLING YOU STUPID)..
But come on man..........
The guy took over College ball this year......
Tebow was overrated too and doesn't like half bad this year

tampabay25690
01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Tebow was overrated too and doesn't like half bad this year

Wasn't overrated ever in my book.
That was just the people that looked to much into his delivery of the ball...

Mahdi
01-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Wasn't Tebow overrated? He didn't look out of place in his first 2 starts.

Newton is even more athletic and one could argue has better throwing ability.

better days
01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Wasn't Tebow overrated? He didn't look out of place in his first 2 starts.

Newton is even more athletic and one could argue has better throwing ability.

Tebow has a great work ethic & intangibles. He will not allow himself to fail. There is no question Newton has physical ability. The question is will he work to become a great QB or will he be like Russell & many other guys with talent that never worked to be a good NFL QB?