PDA

View Full Version : Make them an offer they can't refuse.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:13 PM
What should happen:
Buffalo should do WHATEVER it takes to move up from #3 or #4 to get Andrew Luck. There are reports today that Harbaugh will be leaving Stanford for either the 49ers or Broncos, I can't see any way Luck won't leave for the draft. I don't care what kind of overpayment it takes. Luck is the biggest blue-chip QB to come out since Matt Ryan. Find a way to get it done and build around the kid. That is the BEST way to reverse the fortunes of this franchise.

What probably WILL happen:
With the 4th pick in the draft, the Bills select: QB Cam Newton

Morons.

justasportsfan
01-02-2011, 02:17 PM
What probably WILL happen:
With the 4th pick in the draft, the Bills select: QB Cam Newton

Morons.

they are morons based on what you think might happen? :coocoo:

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2011, 02:21 PM

hilarious...lol

YardRat
01-02-2011, 02:21 PM
No way. Take who we can at 3 or 4, whether or not Luck drops to us. If we should've learned anything from the TD era, trading up is a terrible idea.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:22 PM

No, they are Morons based on the last 11 years.

I'm just following the pattern.

justasportsfan
01-02-2011, 02:23 PM

you turned in your fan card anyways.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:24 PM
No way. Take who we can at 3 or 4, whether or not Luck drops to us. If we should've learned anything from the TD era, trading up is a terrible idea.

Really? Tell that to the New York Giants. Eli has a Super Bowl.

The 4th overall pick won't change the future of the franchise. Andrew Luck is the only pick in the top 5 that can possibly do that.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:24 PM
you turned in your fan card anyways.

I'm not a fan. I'm an observer. I don't expect them to do the right thing and I won't be disappointed when they don't. BUt i'm still right.

psubills62
01-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Trading up isn't necessarily a bad idea, as long as you take the right prospect. The Jets are evidence of that.

If Luck does come out, I have little doubt Carolina would take him, even if we offered them everyone on our team and every draft pick we had. The only slight chance we'd have that they don't want him is that their owner doesn't want to pay the money. People may think Ralph is cheap, but he looks like a wife on a spending spree compared to Carolina's owner.

mikemac2001
01-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm not a fan. I'm an observer. I don't expect them to do the right thing and I won't be disappointed when they don't. BUt i'm still right.

Cool

YardRat
01-02-2011, 02:27 PM

Part of the 'moronic' has been trading up or trading away picks for Bledsoe, Johnson, McGahee, McCargo, Losman, etc.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Trading up isn't necessarily a bad idea, as long as you take the right prospect. The Jets are evidence of that.

If Luck does come out, I have little doubt Carolina would take him, even if we offered them everyone on our team and every draft pick we had. The only slight chance we'd have that they don't want him is that their owner doesn't want to pay the money. People may think Ralph is cheap, but he looks like a wife on a spending spree compared to Carolina's owner.

I agree with you on that. There may not be ANY offer that convinces them to move down, and I don't blame them.

Clausen hasn't shown anything really, and with them getting a new coach, they will probably want to pick their own guy anyway.

I have zero doubt Luck goes #1 to someone though.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Really? Tell that to the New York Giants. Eli has a Super Bowl.

The 4th overall pick won't change the future of the franchise. Andrew Luck is the only pick in the top 5 that can possibly do that.

One definition of insanity is to repeat doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results.

This team has way too many holes to expect one guy to make that kind of difference.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Part of the 'moronic' has been trading up or trading away picks for Bledsoe, Johnson, McGahee, McCargo, Losman, etc.

Yes it is.

But MOVING UP isn't the problem... it's WHO THEY PICK that is.

Had they taken
Nnamdi Asomugha instead of McGahee
Steven Jackson instead of Losman
Mathias Kiwanuka or Nck Mangold instead of McCargo

You wouldn't complain about the cost of moving up now.....

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:38 PM
One definition of insanity is to repeat doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results.

This team has way too many holes to expect one guy to make that kind of difference.

Well by that logic we shouldn't even bother drafting...... but i'm just telling you what they SHOULD do.

Luck fills the biggest and most important of all the needs. I know it hurts to give up assets to get him, but you NEED to change this franchises fortunes.

It might mean not improving immediately... but you take him and build around him in FA, draft and so on a few more years and I think you are suddenly a much much better team.

The biggest issue with this team if you ask me is settling for "filling holes" and trying to patch together a team instead of making a huge game changing move.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes it is.

But MOVING UP isn't the problem... it's WHO THEY PICK that is.

Had they taken
Nnamdi Asomugha instead of McGahee
Steven Jackson instead of Losman
Mathias Kiwanuka or Nck Mangold instead of McCargo

You wouldn't complain about the cost of moving up now.....

I posted this in a different thread, and it doesn't even address the players we lost out on from the Bledsoe/Johnson trades...

They still could've (should've IMO at the time) taken Revis instead of Lynch, Ngata instead of Whitner while not trading up for McCargo and taken Marcus McNeil with their second instead, gotten Rodgers in '05 if they didn't trade that pick away for Losman, not to mention Bob Sanders in '04.

SS Sanders, QB Rodgers, LT McNeil, DT/DE Ngata, and CB Revis instead of Lynch, Whitner, McCargo and Losman just via picking wisely and not trading away picks.

It isn't where you draft...it's how and who.

I'll take those 5, by standing pat and not trading up, over the three you mentioned any day of the week.

Night Train
01-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Just have the mods lock your thread now. There's no discussion here.

You know better and need to teach us. Ban all responses.

:rofl:

Johnny Bugmenot
01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
There's a difference between trading up from the 2nd into the lower 1st-- and trading higher into the 1st. You go from possibly getting a franchise player to almost certainly getting a franchise player.

Michael82
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I'd give the Panthers whatever they want for the #1 pick. We need a QB of the future badly. Fitzpatrick is not the answer and Brohm is definitely NOT the answer.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Just have the mods lock your thread now. There's no discussion here.

You know better and need to teach us. Ban all responses.

:rofl:

So... you lock threads when people express their opinions? Maybe you should stick to "news" sites and stay of discussion boards?

Brilliant.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I posted this in a different thread, and it doesn't even address the players we lost out on from the Bledsoe/Johnson trades...

They still could've (should've IMO at the time) taken Revis instead of Lynch, Ngata instead of Whitner while not trading up for McCargo and taken Marcus McNeil with their second instead, gotten Rodgers in '05 if they didn't trade that pick away for Losman, not to mention Bob Sanders in '04.

SS Sanders, QB Rodgers, LT McNeil, DT/DE Ngata, and CB Revis instead of Lynch, Whitner, McCargo and Losman just via picking wisely and not trading away picks.

It isn't where you draft...it's how and who.

I'll take those 5, by standing pat and not trading up, over the three you mentioned any day of the week.

I agree with you.

They have drafted HORRIBLY. Both with picks they made and ones they didn't.

But the problem still isn't one of "don't move up".

You're argument really is "draft better"! We're not talking apples to apples here.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:53 PM
There's a difference between trading up from the 2nd into the lower 1st-- and trading higher into the 1st. You go from possibly getting a franchise player to almost certainly getting a franchise player.

There are good times to trade up at any point if you are picking the right player.

Andrew Luck is the right player.

justasportsfan
01-02-2011, 02:54 PM
So... you lock threads when people express their opinions? Maybe you should stick to "news" sites and stay of discussion boards?

Brilliant.

but theres nothing to discuss when you already know what is going to happen in the next draft. Hell, you even know more than Nix himself.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd give the Panthers whatever they want for the #1 pick. We need a QB of the future badly. Fitzpatrick is not the answer and Brohm is definitely NOT the answer.

Exactly what I'm getting at. There is NO ONE available IMO that is a sure thing to finally be the franchise player they need at QB. McNabb is done.

THere's a reason Manning and Brady don't miss the playoffs.

A great QB doesn't guarantee a good team, but it certainly can make any team a heck of a lot better.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 02:58 PM
but theres nothing to discuss when you already know what is going to happen in the next draft. Hell, you even know more than Nix himself.

Where did I say i KNOW what will happen?

I said I THINK Luck will be in the draft and am CONFIDENT he will be a franchise QB.
I BELIEVE the Bills should do whatever it takes to move up and get him if possible.
and HISTORY AND MY GUT tells me they'll not do that and somehow screw it up like all the other recent 1st rounders.

But i never said i KNOW anything.

Mad Max
01-02-2011, 03:03 PM
If Carolina is smart they will take Luck. Pas on him and they will make the second most stupid drafting mistake in all of professional sports history...right after The Portland Trailblazers passing up one Michael Jeffrey Jordan..for Sam fkin Bowie?!?!?!

Having said that If Carolina wants to be Portland..the BILLS better fkin be the BULLS..and gobble that dude up.

Night Train
01-02-2011, 03:09 PM

Brilliant.

" Help ! I don't get the whole sarcasm thingy ! " ~ Canadian Duh

BillsFever21
01-02-2011, 03:11 PM
To move up from #4 to #1 it would take the #4 pick obviously, either a 2nd or 3rd round pick in this draft and our 1st round pick next year too. Maybe even more. Judging by past draft day trades similar to this that is what the compensation has been on average.

Is Andrew Luck worth that many high draft picks? Nobody knows. You can judge a college QB all you want but you don't know until they reach the NFL. Even if we did the trade it is highly conceivable we would be drafting in at least the Top 10 next year too. This team is way further off from being a good team then just an unproven QB.

So basically you would be giving up a Top 10 pick next year and one or two higher picks this year too. If today proved anything we need to fix our run defense before we can even think about being a contender. The Jets ran all over us with a vanilla gameplan of mosty running the ball with most of their backups. Not to mention the entire season as a whole.

tampabay25690
01-02-2011, 03:34 PM
The way I look at the draft the Bills are in a good spot for a difference maker.
DL is very solid in this draft and you should see around 5 guys taken in the top 10....I think it will depend if the Bills are really into Cam newton and if they think he is the difference maker at the QB position.....

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
If Carolina is smart they will take Luck. Pas on him and they will make the second most stupid drafting mistake in all of professional sports history...right after The Portland Trailblazers passing up one Michael Jeffrey Jordan..for Sam fkin Bowie?!?!?!

Having said that If Carolina wants to be Portland..the BILLS better fkin be the BULLS..and gobble that dude up.

I agree that Carolina will probably stay where they are and take Luck.

I doubt very much that they will "pass" on him for someone else. The only way Carolina doesn't take him IMO, is if they trade out of the #1 pick. I doubt they stay there and pick someone else. So it's a safe bet Luck will go #1, only to which team (again... odds are on Carolina)

So there won't be a true Sam Bowie situation here. (though I'd argue that Oden over Durant is going to approach that level)

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 03:46 PM
The way I look at the draft the Bills are in a good spot for a difference maker.
DL is very solid in this draft and you should see around 5 guys taken in the top 10....I think it will depend if the Bills are really into Cam newton and if they think he is the difference maker at the QB position.....

Drafting Cam Newton as a QB will be a tragic mistake for any team. SO it wouldn't surprise me if they did draft him.

EricStratton
01-02-2011, 03:49 PM
So who is Hakeem Olajuwon in this little fantasy?

YardRat
01-02-2011, 03:50 PM

And you pay a ****-load more to move up early in the first, than you do moving from the second to the first.

If we had lines, and not to many holes elsewhere, I might be for trading up to get Luck. But we don't. We have needs basically everywhere. The cost is too high to move up a couple of spots to get one guy and force yourself to stand pat in other areas to compensate.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree with you.

They have drafted HORRIBLY. Both with picks they made and ones they didn't.

But the problem still isn't one of "don't move up".

You're argument really is "draft better"! We're not talking apples to apples here.

Yeah, it is apples to apples.

Moving up costs picks, that in turn could become solid players.

I'm not willing to pass up a future DE, OT, and CB to move up and pick one guy, a QB.

Moving up to get the likes of Losman, McGahee, McCargo etc didn't just cost us shots at different guys at those picks..it cost us shots at additional guys that would've been there if we didn't package multiple picks to move up.

We need as many picks as we can muster, we can't afford the luxury of trading away multiple picks for one player, and we need to hit on the majority of the picks we have.

Akhippo
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I would in a heartbeat call up Carolina for Luck if we picked 2nd. To be at the doorstep of arguably one of the highest rated QBs to come out, it would be hard to not at least make every possible offer.

Our 3rd/4th and Fitz. We have a ton of holes, but we also dont have a franchise QB. We have one that will either keep you in it or lose it. And that outcome teeters on a pinhead with Fitz. We are his third team for a reason.

Anything past 2 becomes to pricey.

Nighthawk
01-02-2011, 04:03 PM

No, it isn't. It's a great idea if Luck comes out. I agree, you do whatever it takes to get your franchise QB and from everything I've seen and heard, Luck is the guy. I would do it in a heartbeat.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 04:35 PM
No, it isn't. It's a great idea if Luck comes out. I agree, you do whatever it takes to get your franchise QB and from everything I've seen and heard, Luck is the guy. I would do it in a heartbeat.

We traded up or out for Bledsoe, Johnson and Losman...and that's just the QB's...How many players did that cost us in the long run?

baalworship
01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
I agree we should make an offer if Luck comes out. I disagree this is remotely plausible as why would Carolina want to give him up?

I have not heard a compelling argument how this could happen. Right now this thread is wishful thinking.

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong as I can't find the actual trade... but didn't Atlanta give up only the #5 overall and a 3rd round pick to trade up to get Mike Vick?

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 05:23 PM
That being said... more recently, San Diego received Rivers (#4 overall) a 3rd and 1st the next year for Manning..

I'm betting New York has no regrets.

BillsFever21
01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Everyone needs to get over their Andrew Luck wet dreams. He is not coming to Buffalo.

Also, if he was so great then there is no way Carolina would trade out of that spot to begin with. Seriously, if he was supposed to be the next great thing then why would they trade him away for anything no matter what the package was.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2011, 05:27 PM
guys, luck is good, hes not the next manning... calm down...

Nighthawk
01-02-2011, 06:00 PM
We traded up or out for Bledsoe, Johnson and Losman...and that's just the QB's...How many players did that cost us in the long run?

Scared money, don't make money...

Canadian'eh!
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm not saying I think this will happen.

But if I were running the Bills I'd just do everything in my power to make it happen.

I'm not sure he's the next Peyton Manning... But i'm betting he can definitely be the next Matt Ryan, or better.

Akhippo
01-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Everyone needs to get over their Andrew Luck wet dreams. He is not coming to Buffalo.

Also, if he was so great then there is no way Carolina would trade out of that spot to begin with. Seriously, if he was supposed to be the next great thing then why would they trade him away for anything no matter what the package was.

Everyone has a price. There is a scenario of picks that would get Carolinas attention. However, that might be to rich for Buffalo

None the less it is there.