PDA

View Full Version : Team Needs-Now that the season is over

YardRat
01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I've put together the list based on highest priority to lowest priority, IMO, but also grouped the needs because let's face it...this team has so many holes and could use a ton of upgrades so many can be interchangeable depending on who is available in FA or when we draft...

34 DE
OT
ILB
OLB
---
CB
TE
NT/DT
WR
QB
---
OG
Safety
RB

34 DE - We suck against the run, and still have no pass rush. We desperately need a guy that can pick up the slack in both phases...A real stud that can hold his own in a 34 set and also slide inside/step outside in a 43. If Dareus isn't at the top of our big board, he should be.

OT - Build from the trenches out...Control the line of scrimmage, you win. Bell is about as much 'the answer' at LT as Fitz is at QB. In other words...he ain't. Best case scenario we get a lock-down LT, and Bell moves to the right. If we end up with a Rightie, fine for a season or two but LT still remains a high priority.

ILB - Our LBers suck. Period. the POS is the best ILB we have right now, and that should tell you something. A big, physical presence that can attack the line of scrimmage that's also quick enough to roam and drop into coverage and even the POS will look adequate.

OLB - See above. Without a miraculous recovery from Merriman, or an unheard of leap in ability from Moats and/or Maybin we have nobody that can go sideline to sideline or get even close to coming off the end on a pass rush or cover a TE or HB. Kelsay blows, but would make better depth than a starter.

CB - McGee is breaking down, Florence is too inconsistent, McKelvin is more toast than money, Corner and Youboty have hit their ceiling. We need a lockdown guy badly. So much for our vaunted secondary being the strength of the team.

TE - If we don't have the worst TE's in the league, I don't know who does. We need a TE far more than any other skill position on the offense...the dearth of talent is simply embarrassing. We could actually use multiple upgrades here...one blocker, one receiver, one that can do both adequately.

NT/DT - Williams has had a nice year, but he's no space-eater...and that's necessary if you're going to run a true 34. Grab a hog that can occupy multiple blockers and occasionally blow up the line of scrimmage and let Williams back up the NT/DE spots, and play DT in 43 sets.

WR - Evans is not a #1 receiver, but is still a nice speed compliment. Johnson's hands are too inconsistent, and apparently the drop against Pittsburgh has affected him on the negative end...He may never actually recover. We need a #1 go-to guy, because as of right now we don't have one.

QB - Fitz played better than expected, and could be adequate with a better surrounding cast, but he's not the franchise by any means. Love his leadership, control of the game, smarts and toughness, but he's still far too inaccurate and a little bit too much of a risk-taker.

OG - Wood/Levitre/Rhinehart seem OK, but each take their turns getting blown up at the point of attack by stronger big men. We need a mauler that isn't going to take anybody's **** anytime, anywhere.

Safety - Whitner had a decent season, but he's no world beater. Who knows how Byrd is going to come back next season...back to '09 form, or more of the same from '10? Probably losing Whitner to boot.

RB - Hopefully next season the offensive guru's will have already figured out that Jackson is your money, and how to use Spiller more effectively. The talent is there, we just have to use it properly. On the downside, Freddie is starting to get up there in years and an every-down replacement is going to be imperative in a couple of seasons (because Spiller will never be one) but at least we have some breathing room here.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
agree with almost all, dont think it takes a miracle for merriman to come back, he has a sore achilles, not a broken neck...

psubills62
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I'd agree with your tiers of needs, Yardie. They seem pretty accurate.

To me, our WR's and CB's are in the same position as our QB - we can muddle along with them for now while we build other positions, but at some point we're going to need a stud who can take us to the next level. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Peterson or Green as the pick in this coming draft, personally. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Dareus or Bowers as the pick.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd agree with your tiers of needs, Yardie. They seem pretty accurate.

To me, our WR's and CB's are in the same position as our QB - we can muddle along with them for now while we build other positions, but at some point we're going to need a stud who can take us to the next level. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Peterson or Green as the pick in this coming draft, personally. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Dareus or Bowers as the pick.

for the 100th millionth time, we are not taking a wr/db... for christs sake havent we learned anything....

SquishDaFish
01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
for the 100th millionth time, we are not taking a wr/db... for christs sake havent we learned anything....

You know this for a fact why?? You got inside guy?? You know as much as I or anyone else knows and thats NOTHING

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
You know this for a fact why?? You got inside guy?? You know as much as I or anyone else knows and thats NOTHING

i have common sense, wr/dbs dont win championships, the trenches/qbs do....

i swear to god if we take another corner or wr i give up!

NOT THE DUDE...
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
you can get decent corners as rookie free agents. wr is not even a need at all....

Bangarang
01-02-2011, 05:29 PM
So basically, the Bills need good football players at every position..

baalworship
01-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Biggest needs on defense are pass rushing outside linebacker and 34DE.

Biggest needs on offense are tight end and right tackle. Also a franchise QB.

bigbub2352
01-02-2011, 05:32 PM
You are spot on my friend

Let most if not all of our FA's walk and spend the money on getting bigger and faster everywhere on D especially in front 7

We need a TE period i do like Stupar and Chandler as depth thou
dont know about Caussin

I think we need to spend some money on depth and at least 2 starters. A RT and an OLB or ILB

Time to let those bums like Ellison Corto Whitner walk and we can do better than Poz Stroud MccArgo Maybin McKelvin Florence McGee and Evans...add Kelsay and Mcintire too...

I also say leave Wood at Center and let Hang walk and let Urbik and Reinhart fight it out for RG

I just dont want to stay staus quo

Kelsay also bye bye

mysticsoto
01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
I've put together the list based on highest priority to lowest priority, IMO, but also grouped the needs because let's face it...this team has so many holes and could use a ton of upgrades so many can be interchangeable depending on who is available in FA or when we draft...

34 DE
OT
ILB
OLB
---
CB
TE
NT/DT
WR
QB
---
OG
Safety
RB

34 DE - We suck against the run, and still have no pass rush. We desperately need a guy that can pick up the slack in both phases...A real stud that can hold his own in a 34 set and also slide inside/step outside in a 43. If Dareus isn't at the top of our big board, he should be.

OT - Build from the trenches out...Control the line of scrimmage, you win. Bell is about as much 'the answer' at LT as Fitz is at QB. In other words...he ain't. Best case scenario we get a lock-down LT, and Bell moves to the right. If we end up with a Rightie, fine for a season or two but LT still remains a high priority.

ILB - Our LBers suck. Period. the POS is the best ILB we have right now, and that should tell you something. A big, physical presence that can attack the line of scrimmage that's also quick enough to roam and drop into coverage and even the POS will look adequate.

OLB - See above. Without a miraculous recovery from Merriman, or an unheard of leap in ability from Moats and/or Maybin we have nobody that can go sideline to sideline or get even close to coming off the end on a pass rush or cover a TE or HB. Kelsay blows, but would make better depth than a starter.

CB - McGee is breaking down, Florence is too inconsistent, McKelvin is more toast than money, Corner and Youboty have hit their ceiling. We need a lockdown guy badly. So much for our vaunted secondary being the strength of the team.

TE - If we don't have the worst TE's in the league, I don't know who does. We need a TE far more than any other skill position on the offense...the dearth of talent is simply embarrassing. We could actually use multiple upgrades here...one blocker, one receiver, one that can do both adequately.

NT/DT - Williams has had a nice year, but he's no space-eater...and that's necessary if you're going to run a true 34. Grab a hog that can occupy multiple blockers and occasionally blow up the line of scrimmage and let Williams back up the NT/DE spots, and play DT in 43 sets.

WR - Evans is not a #1 receiver, but is still a nice speed compliment. Johnson's hands are too inconsistent, and apparently the drop against Pittsburgh has affected him on the negative end...He may never actually recover. We need a #1 go-to guy, because as of right now we don't have one.

QB - Fitz played better than expected, and could be adequate with a better surrounding cast, but he's not the franchise by any means. Love his leadership, control of the game, smarts and toughness, but he's still far too inaccurate and a little bit too much of a risk-taker.

OG - Wood/Levitre/Rhinehart seem OK, but each take their turns getting blown up at the point of attack by stronger big men. We need a mauler that isn't going to take anybody's **** anytime, anywhere.

Safety - Whitner had a decent season, but he's no world beater. Who knows how Byrd is going to come back next season...back to '09 form, or more of the same from '10? Probably losing Whitner to boot.

RB - Hopefully next season the offensive guru's will have already figured out that Jackson is your money, and how to use Spiller more effectively. The talent is there, we just have to use it properly. On the downside, Freddie is starting to get up there in years and an every-down replacement is going to be imperative in a couple of seasons (because Spiller will never be one) but at least we have some breathing room here.

I don't understand how you've listed the above.

Are you saying you're okay with drafting anyone of your 1st grouping: 34 DE, OT, ILB, OLB for the 1st rd? The next grouping for the 2nd or 2nd/3rd?

I think, unless Luck is available, both 1st and 2nd should be top 3-4 DE and top OLB. If we are going to remain a hybrid 3-4 / 4-3 team, then I think Quinn is the better pick. And one of the reason I think they might is b'cse they have alot of money invested in Kelsay. In a pure 3-4, he completely sucks. But it was clear this season that he can actually perform (much to my surprise) in a 4-3. Kyle is also better in a 4-3...so you have alot of mixed personnel than can perform better in one scheme than another. If they go fully 3-4, it'll likely take 2 yrs to be able to replace and gather everyone we need - unless they are busy in FA which they usually aren't...

I don't view OT as a high (1st or 2nd rd) choice needed. Bell performed really well even against top DEs. We do need a RT, but obviously we don't take that high. And actually, I thought Cordaro Howard played really well when at RT. So I'm okay with grabbing a mauler in a lower round. Small school prospects are often overlooked. I might consider looking at one of them...

JCBills
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Bell didn't allow many sacks at all this year. He lacks the strength / power to play RT. We need a mauler there, Bell is more than fine at LT. An RT is more than just someone not good enough to play LT.

Nighthawk
01-02-2011, 06:36 PM
We need to see how the combine and the rest of the bowls play out before assuming there are no other QB's worthy of being picked high other then Luck. I'm still not sold that Newton isn't worthy of the 3rd overall pick. He is a freak of an athlete that the draft has not seen since Vick. We will see, but I can't make a judgement just yet on where all of these players fit.

mysticsoto
01-02-2011, 06:39 PM
We need to see how the combine and the rest of the bowls play out before assuming there are no other QB's worthy of being picked high other then Luck. I'm still not sold that Newton isn't worthy of the 3rd overall pick. He is a freak of an athlete that the draft has not seen since Vick. We will see, but I can't make a judgement just yet on where all of these players fit.

I'll agree with that. I don't think Newton would be the worst pick in the world, and depending on what happens during free agency, if they could fill some holes in the Front D 7, it could change who I'd want quite a bit...

justasportsfan
01-02-2011, 06:44 PM

Newton has played enough for someone to fall in love with him (just like the broncos fell in love with Tebow) and the bills might be one of them.

psubills62
01-02-2011, 06:44 PM
It's a distinct possibility.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Green or Peterson, then we focus on the lines in the next 4-5 rounds with a QB or someone thrown in there.

we are
01-02-2011, 06:47 PM
1. Dareus
2. ILB
3. ILB
4. OLB
4. DE

seriously, assuming luck is gone, thats what i want.

Novacane
01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Whoever they pick they must hit on. We can't afford anymore first round busts.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't understand how you've listed the above.

Are you saying you're okay with drafting anyone of your 1st grouping: 34 DE, OT, ILB, OLB for the 1st rd? The next grouping for the 2nd or 2nd/3rd?

No. I'm saying 34DE, OT, ILB and OLB are a higher priority than CB, TE, NT/DT, WR and QB, but within the groupings, even though I have them listed in the specific order I think should be the priority, I wouldn't ***** if we took an OLB before an ILB, or a QB before a TE.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Bell didn't allow many sacks at all this year. He lacks the strength / power to play RT. We need a mauler there, Bell is more than fine at LT. An RT is more than just someone not good enough to play LT.

Bell has no where near the athleticism to handle speed rushers...he was owned all season by them. At one point late in the season, the Bills were the #1 rushing team in the entire league in yards or attempt going to the left. I think he'd be fine on the right side. I'd also be OK with replacing both tackles and having Bell be the swing back-up, but I know that isn't going to happen.

mysticsoto
01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
No. I'm saying 34DE, OT, ILB and OLB are a higher priority than CB, TE, NT/DT, WR and QB, but within the groupings, even though I have them listed in the specific order I think should be the priority, I wouldn't ***** if we took an OLB before an ILB, or a QB before a TE.

Ah, okay. But I still think you should distinguish between DE/OLB and OT for instance. Bell was actually pretty good and should probably be dropped to your lower/secondary grouping...

YardRat
01-02-2011, 07:20 PM

Screw the combine, and the individual workouts/pro days while you're at it. The best read you're going to get on players is right now, after the games are played, from watching film.

Anybody that bumps players up their board in the early rounds based on the combine is an idiot.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Ah, okay. But I still think you should distinguish between DE/OLB and OT for instance. Bell was actually pretty good and should probably be dropped to your lower/secondary grouping...

I did...I listed them by individual priority by IMO. 34DE is a higher priority than OT.

Again, just my opinion, but Bell is to LT what Fitz is to QB. Could we live with him for another season? Sure...but he'll never be the 'franchise' guy that we need at that position.

mysticsoto
01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I did...I listed them by individual priority by IMO. 34DE is a higher priority than OT.

Again, just my opinion, but Bell is to LT what Fitz is to QB. Could we live with him for another season? Sure...but he'll never be the 'franchise' guy that we need at that position.

Let's be honest, Yardie, outside FJ, how many franchise players do we really have at any position? Every position could stand to upgrade...

YardRat
01-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Let's be honest, Yardie, outside FJ, how many franchise players do we really have at any position? Every position could stand to upgrade...

None. And they are not necessary at every position. But, IMO, LT is one of them where it is. Bell is serviceable at best, just as Fitz and Stevie are serviceable. But, as you said, they are all replaceable with an upgrade.

mysticsoto
01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
None. And they are not necessary at every position. But, IMO, LT is one of them where it is. Bell is serviceable at best, just as Fitz and Stevie are serviceable. But, as you said, they are all replaceable with an upgrade.

Realistically speaking, if we address DE and OLB which you agree is higher priority, how likely are we to get a franchise LT in the 3rd or lower that will be better than Bell ?

Lone Stranger
01-02-2011, 07:37 PM
The analysis is excellent and realistic.

bf1
01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Agree with the list. Would have been nice if bumbling buddy nix could have cut that list a little instead of taking a year off.

YardRat
01-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Realistically speaking, if we address DE and OLB which you agree is higher priority, how likely are we to get a franchise LT in the 3rd or lower that will be better than Bell ?

Pretty unlikely. I don't expect the team to fill all of the needs in one FA/draft. But if we don't have a shot at an LT, we damn well better get a DE and an OLB.

djjimkelly
01-02-2011, 07:58 PM
the front 7 is where we need to focus.

id take a flyer on mallett if he dropped into the 2nd round

otherwise the first 3 rounds should be D line especially the 1st rounder

then LB in the 2nd and 3rd

EDS
01-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Biggest need by far is fixing the run defense. I think they need to consider what defense best fits the few decent players the team has and build accordingly.

JCBills
01-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Bell has no where near the athleticism to handle speed rushers...he was owned all season by them. At one point late in the season, the Bills were the #1 rushing team in the entire league in yards or attempt going to the left. I think he'd be fine on the right side. I'd also be OK with replacing both tackles and having Bell be the swing back-up, but I know that isn't going to happen.

He's pretty damn athletic, he actually struggled with power rushers, the only guys that really gave him fits were Jared Allen and Tamba Hali, who combined for 25.5 sacks on the season at 275 and 270 lbs. He blanked a lot of the top pass rushers in the league. An offseason of actually lifting instead of rehabbing should help him gain some power, but he still probably won't be strong enough for RT.