X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Today was embarrassing......the epitome of a losing culture

I'm not talking about winning meaningless games or losing for draft picks or anything like that. This has nothing to do with that. The final score meant nothing to me today. The way the team played did. It ALWAYS does.

I'm talking about having a little pride in being a professional athlete. Representing your team, your coaches, your teammates, your city, and the NFL in the best way possible every time you suit up.

This team doesn't have much talent. We know that. I don't expect them to win every game, and at this time I usually expect them to lose. But win or lose, no matter how it affects their draft status or contract incentives, or anything else, I damn well DO expect them to play with some pride and heart and represent themselves and our city and us fans with class and character.

I don't care who's playing for the Bills. I expect this at the very minimum. And so should all of you.

Losing the way they did today - to a bunch of backups with nothing to play for - and running for the bus the way they did is utterly embarrassing as a fan and a microcosm of what THE MAIN problem has been with this organization for the past decade.......A LOSING CULTURE.

Until THAT changes, it doesn't matter if they pick 1st, 2nd, 15th, or 32nd. It doesn't matter if they draft Andrew Luck or the backup QB from West Seneca HS, they will continue to be a laughing stock of the league and we will continue to see no football past the first weekend in January.

I actually think Chan had these guys headed in that direction considering how they've played the last 8 weeks. That's why it's been encouraging, at least.

But today was just the similar kind of classless suckfest I've seen from this organization for most of the last 10 years. And it SUCKED. It's EMBARRASSING. Get some damn players in here who give a **** about how they represent this team and this city and these fans!!
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: Today was embarrassing......the epitome of a losing culture

... Here here.

It blew my mind when Brad Smith was in the game, I would yell at the TV at the bar and say "TEN BUCKS SAYS THEY'RE RUNNING RIGHT!!!"

And suuuure enough...

What is the secret to stopping the run when it is sooooo blatantly obvious it's the next play?
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

Agree 100% I wanted the higher pick in the draft but the way they laid down was embarrassing.

Comment

• Coach Sal
        • Aug 2006

I'm bound to get, "yeah, but the draft pick" responses here. So, for all of you about to type that, let me explain once again: You can have the #1 pick for the next 10 years, until the LOSING CULTURE of this organization changes, that will mean nothing!
        Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• Mad Max
          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
          • Mar 2003

Question for you coach. I only watch the games on my laptop and I don't study or re-watch them.

So I'd like a professionals opinion on why our run D is so abyssmal? It can't be that our entire front 7 is hot garbage? It has to be understanding of the system, right? But just how hard is it to understand that they have performed so poorly?

Or is it that we're trying to fit square pegs into...?

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Very true, but the only way to change a losing culture is to get the players to do so, either via FA or the draft.

Comment

• BillsFever21
              • Aug 2004

They had the bus warming up and their bags packed with their plane tickets in their car when the kickoff started.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

It was obvious the Bills did want to lose after all. Brohm sucked big time and some moves by the CBs almost looked lethargic and on purpose. The only guys seemingly playing hard was Byrd and Spencer.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                  Very true, but the only way to change a losing culture is to get the players to do so, either via FA or the draft.
                  according to Brohm he knew what was coming. He saw what the jets had in mind before the snap because he saw it at practice. That means our coaches know the X's and O's but the players could not execute. we need more talent especially in the trenches.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                    • Sep 2009

Well said, last two losses have really bugged, but today's no-show (coaches included) was disgusting.

How in the world is Brad Smith running the option effectively, where were the scrape techniques every other staff inserts into the gameplan when playing the Jets? They looked clueless out there.

Really disheartening way to end the year. At least put up a god damn fight. Reminded me of the infamous Steelers game.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                      • Feb 2009

How to go about changing the culture of losing? Maybe trading Evans.. Letting Donte Whitner walk as a FA letting go of some of the guys who have been accustomed to losing.. Another way to change the losing culture is to get a Top tier QB

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Some of that may be laid on the coaches, but the vast majority of it is on the shoulders of the players.

Out with the old losers, in with the winners.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• T-Long
                          Circling the Wagons since 1982.
                          • Sep 2003

The losing culture will not go away until this team makes it back to the playoffs...whenever the hell that will be.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                            Yes, the right players.

That doesn't mean it has to be the highest picked players, either.

Sure, those guys help. But the bottom line is, for every successful business, there is a standard that everyone is expected to perform to. And that's true in most successful organizations, too.

It's why the Steelers lost their starting QB but still went 3-1.
                            It's why the Colts lose 17 players for the year and still win the division.
                            It's why the pats still win 11 games without Brady.

No matter who you are, what place you were picked, how much $$ you make, or what string you are, when you put on the uniform, you are expected to compete at the highest level you can, and do everything in your power to maintain the expected successful standard.

The right players will understand that, no matter how much or little talent they have or where they are drafted. The right men leading them have to set that standard and hold true to it all the time.
                            Last edited by Coach Sal; 01-02-2011, 08:06 PM.
                            Click to listen:

Comment

• Demon
                              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Novacane
                              Agree 100% I wanted the higher pick in the draft but the way they laid down was embarrassing.
                              The only thing that was embarrassing was the fact that so many people fell in love with this sorry ass team and thought they turned the corner because we played balls to the wall football against teams that didn't respect us, and we got away with it. The Bills are awful. They didn't improve at all. They started the year getting destroyed week in and week out, and they finished the year getting spanked by the Viks, Pats and Jets. We are who we thought we were.

The losing culture debate is BS.

They NEED leaders and have not one in that locker room that is a leader. Fitzpatrick is a nice story but c'mon, the dude stinks too. He ain't ever leading anyone, let alone a team bunch of bums.

Picking high up would be HUGE for our team this year but it has much less effect then it should, because they picked all bums last year. Alex Carrington looked terrible today. Troup can't even see the field. Spiller is too busy following Clemson to focus on working on plays, Wang hasn't done anything.... last years draft developed nobody.

Sure, someone could still develop into something, but we're at the same point as we were going into week 1 with our draft picks. They are all unknowns.
                              Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X