• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Run stuffer vs. QB

After reading a bunch of posts, I see the board is very divided in terms of whether or not to go with a run stuffer or try to land that franchise QB. Since the Bills are picking third, let's take a look at what is available.

Granted, if Luck comes out, he has got to be the #1 pick no matter if it's Carolina or a team to trade up. I honestly don't see Nix trading up to the top pick, so let's scratch that from the equation.

Here is how I see the top 3 panning out.

1. Car: Andrew Luck QB Stanford
    2. Den: Patrick Petersen CB LSU
    3. Buf:

The Bills have a chance to get either Bowers, Fairley, Dareus, Quinn or one of the other 2 QB's.

If we want to help the run defense, then the pick is Fairley or Dareus. If we want a better pass rush, we should take Bowers or Quinn. If you don't believe Fitz is a franchise quarterback, then they need to take a gamble and take their highest rated QB of the 2 (Mallet or Newton).

I for one am not a fan of Mallet as a Bill. But I am intrigued by Newton's athleticisim.

Although my brain is telling me to go DL, I really want them to roll the dice and try to get that QB. You never draft this high very often and this is the place you get a QB.

So, I am going to take Cam Newton with this pick.....for now. I know this will piss off a lot of people, but excite a lot of people as well.

Ok, let me have it.
    Last edited by T-Long; 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM.
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: Run stuffer vs. QB

If Luck is available the Bills HAVE to take him. If not, they need to concentrate on run defense, where the pick will depend on the defense they are running.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
      • Aug 2004

From what I can see, the run stuffing problem is not on our D-tackles. It's on the linebackers.

I saw time and again today the linebackers unable to get to the ball carrier or not fast enough to stretch-out, forcing our DBs to be the first ones doing the contact with ball carrier.

For what it is worth we have a near Pro-bowl season from our nose tackle.

Poz is not contacted by the Bills yet about an extension. and yet he's out best linebacker. that tells you something.

Comment

• cbatl32
        • Jan 2010

I am with you on Newton. If Nix has a franchise grade on him, then that has to be the pick.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

If Luck is there (or Newton is perceived as a franchise qb by the FO) you take him. we an find stuffers via FA.
          Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

DTs take a few years to be effective. Lets keep this in mind people. And before it's said, there isn't a Suh in this draft.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

I think Denver will be choosing between Peterson and Dareus. I could easily see us taking whichever one is left. If Luck comes out, Buffalo should do whatever they can (within reason) to move up. If not, stay at 3, choose from one of Dareus, Peterson, and Green (at this point, I'd say in that order).
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• tomz
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                From what I can see, the run stuffing problem is not on our D-tackles. It's on the linebackers.

I saw time and again today the linebackers unable to get to the ball carrier or not fast enough to stretch-out, forcing our DBs to be the first ones doing the contact with ball carrier.

Poz is not contacted by the Bills yet about an extension. and yet he's out best linebacker. that tells you something.

I do not let the LBs and d-line players off the hook---we rarely seem to clog the middle and our LBs always seemed sealed off inside or otherwise pushed out of the play--but this is a complex problem.

For all of the comments about our LBs and d-line, nobody seems to mention that our corners are horrible in run support. I think back to the days of Antoine Winfield and recall him making stops as runners tried to turn the corner at least once or twice per game.

Also, there was a thread a couple days ago about Kyle Williams as not the right type of NT for the 3-4. I think that is a big part of the issue as well. We need control of the middle of the line to keep the trash off the LBs.

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by T-Long
                  After reading a bunch of posts, I see the board is very divided in terms of whether or not to go with a run stuffer or try to land that franchise QB. Since the Bills are picking third, let's take a look at what is available.

Granted, if Luck comes out, he has got to be the #1 pick no matter if it's Carolina or a team to trade up. I honestly don't see Nix trading up to the top pick, so let's scratch that from the equation.

Here is how I see the top 3 panning out.

1. Car: Andrew Luck QB Stanford
                  2. Den: Patrick Petersen CB LSU
                  3. Buf:

The Bills have a chance to get either Bowers, Fairley, Dareus, Quinn or one of the other 2 QB's.

If we want to help the run defense, then the pick is Fairley or Dareus. If we want a better pass rush, we should take Bowers or Quinn. If you don't believe Fitz is a franchise quarterback, then they need to take a gamble and take their highest rated QB of the 2 (Mallet or Newton).

I for one am not a fan of Mallet as a Bill. But I am intrigued by Newton's athleticisim.

Although my brain is telling me to go DL, I really want them to roll the dice and try to get that QB. You never draft this high very often and this is the place you get a QB.

So, I am going to take Cam Newton with this pick.....for now. I know this will piss off a lot of people, but excite a lot of people as well.

Ok, let me have it.
                  Run stuffer is never an option in the top 10. A player in the top 10 is skill position, pass rusher, OT, CB, phenomenal S.

If we take any of the DL players it will be related to their pass rush abilities not run stuff.

If Fairley, Dareus and Bowers weren't good pass rushers they would not even be in consideration for top 10 status.

We have to keep in mind that we have Dewan Edwards who was have a great year and Carrington who was coming on. As well as S. Johnson and Stroud.

I really think the pick will be Newton or Peterson.

Also, IMO, it is the LBs who are the problem on our run defense. They never shoot the gaps even when you see KW in the backfield and doing his job you never see the LBs shooting through to make plays at or behind the LoS. They also are horrible at keeping contain.

I thought Poz was improving but looks like he is just not a good run stuffer. I think our second and third round picks will include ILBs.
                  Last edited by Mahdi; 01-02-2011, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Jul 2007

With Carrington, Troup, Williams, and Edwards, I wouldn't be surprised if run stuffer is taken in FA and other needs are addressed early in the draft.

We haven't cut anyone yet, we haven't signed anybody, and we won't know til April what we need...

But it's fun ain't it?
                    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Spiderweb
                      ....formerly OhBF
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh

Disagree a bit there Ghz... Our DT have to be hugely successful penetraters (they're not), or they have to gobble up blockers and space (they don't). While I agree our LB's are very poor overall, it would look much better if they didn't have a Center, Guard or Tackle clinging to them every play.

Poz will be contacted.
                      Spiderweb

Need a Hero? Try looking within your
                      own family. You might be surprised.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

If Luck and Peterson are gone, Dareus is the pick.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

I'd take Dareus. He's great at stopping the run and a solid pass rusher too.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

425 points allowed
                            32nd rushing yards allowed

Comment

• Oaf
                              Do you read what you write?
                              • Jun 2007

I hope to nab LBs in rounds 2 and 3, allowing for a skill position/QB at #3. Another 5-tech DE would do well for us too.

Comment

Working...
                              X