PDA

View Full Version : Could the Bills get Luck with the 3rd pick?

Ebenezer
01-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Thoughts?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2011, 12:16 AM
its a lock that carolina will take him...

Demon
01-03-2011, 12:17 AM
its a lock that carolina will take him...

Yeah, Luck is going to Carolina or Stanford.

YardRat
01-03-2011, 12:17 AM
Doubtful.

Michael82
01-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Only if they trade up.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-03-2011, 04:23 AM
I guess it all depends on how much in love Carolina is with Clausen. They have bigger needs then Buffalo. Denver won't take him.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2011, 04:25 AM
probably not man, but trading up is not out of the question.... it depends on what nix thinks of luck. jmo, i dont think luck is all world. hes good but hes not the next manning. if he peaks i think he becomes matt ryan which is really good....

Raptor
01-03-2011, 05:10 AM
zero shot

Ickybaluky
01-03-2011, 05:21 AM
Carolina almost has to take him if he declares for the draft, the guy is the clear #1 pick at the most important position in the sport. Financially, he gives them a face to market the team around and get the fanbase excited. The new coach gets his QB to build around. It is a no-brainer.

I highly down they trade down. If they trade down, it would have to be an overwhelming package, probably more than the Eli Manning deal. Probably it would have to include both this year's and next year's first, along with multiple extra picks in both drafts. Even then, I doubt they make the trade. They take the player.

At the end of the day, you take the potential franchise QB if he is there. Luck is perfect for the NFL. He has the tools, has been groomed in a pro style, and is about as stable character-wise as you find. He is the sure-fire #1.

The idea they won't take him because of Clausen is laughable.

Extremebillsfan247
01-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Thoughts?
It is a definite possibility. Both teams ahead of us selected QB's high in the draft last year. However, Carolina is going new staff which will have no ties to Claussen and could potentially go QB with the top pick, but its more likely that they either go with another position or trade out of the number 1 spot for more picks. Denver is bringing in Elway to work in the front office. Why is that important? he went to Stanford. Yeah, they have Tebow, but they might be tempted to take a chance at Luck if he is seen as a potential elite QB.

The 3 part of this equation are the teams that are sitting just behind us in the draft that could try to trade up to get him if he gets past Carolina. It would take a lot to move up to the number 2 slot, but it's not unheard of for teams to give up considerable amounts of collateral to move up and get their guy. The bottom line is, we have a really good shot, but it will be nail biter all the way to the 3rd pick for anyone hoping this team gets Luck. JMO

don137
01-03-2011, 06:44 AM
No way Carolina passes on Luck. You do not pass up on a talent like that. I am a season ticket holder of the Panthers and Claussen sucks. I know he is was only a rookie but he looked terrible. All the talk here in Charlotte is about Luck and if he comes out. The Panthers would have to be offered a ton to even consider it but even then I doubt they do it. He is once a decade QB. The only team that could offer enough to get Luck would be New England who has two first round picks and the first pick of the second round.
I would love Buffalo to get him however I just do not see it.

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Carolina takes him unless somebody in the top 5-7 offers them a Ricky Williams package for the pick. And nobody is that stupid...I hope.

Figster
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Myself personally, Cam Newton could be the wild card in all this because its very possible his stock could rise high enough in the eyes of the Panthers thus enabling us to swap positions in the draft (or QB's.)

The question becomes how much would Buffalo be willing to give up to make the swap.

TacklingDummy
01-03-2011, 11:13 AM
There are a few mocks that have Luck going 3rd or 4th.

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 11:18 AM
There are a few mocks that have Luck going 3rd or 4th.

You should immediately disregard those then, because they are not at all credible.

Ingtar33
01-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Thoughts?

assuming he enters the draft... no, there is no chance we get him at number 3.

wmoz11
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Clausen is John Fox's "guy." Jimmy Clausen is terrible. John Fox is gone.

Yeah, they're taking Luck if he comes out.

Bangarang
01-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Clausen is John Fox's "guy." Jimmy Clausen is terrible. John Fox is gone.

Yeah, they're taking Luck if he comes out.

Not from what I've been hearing in Carolina. Clausen was management's guy more than Fox's. I've also heard that they aren't willing to give up on him so soon/easily either.

We'll see though.

mikemac2001
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
ya i don't think fox like jimmy C i think it came down to losing season injurys and he knew he was gone anyways just wanted to finish it out.

Ickybaluky
01-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Not from what I've been hearing in Carolina. Clausen was management's guy more than Fox's. I've also heard that they aren't willing to give up on him so soon/easily either.

We'll see though.

Clausen was 1-9 as a starter with a 58.4 QB Rating. If Luck declares and Carolina didn't take him, their fanbase would revolt. Nobody in Carolina or anywhere else sees him as the answer. He was a 2nd round pick, they don't have that much invested in him.

Carolina is a franchise that desperately needs a player to build around. Luck, if he declares, would be that player. He would allow them to sell their fans on the future and sell tickets. If you think they are pass on him to take some DT, you are ignoring what he would bring to the franchise. It is about a lot more than football. He would instantly become the face of the team.

patmoran2006
01-03-2011, 01:07 PM
The "Matt Ryan" effect is the reason Luck will never get past Carolina. You cant let a franchise QB slip by, Clausen is hardly a lock to even be in league in four years.

Take Miami.. Jake Long is a great player, but would Miami be where they are now if they took Ryan over Long?

There's no way Luck slips to 3.. and I would be SHOCKED if Nix moves up with anyone to take anyone.. Buddy Nix wants to stock up on draft picks, not trade has his draft for one player.

I'm not even thinking about Luck for next few months. If you're locked into a QB start learning about Locker or the kid from MSU

X-Era
01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
its a lock that carolina will take him...It is absolutely not a lock. At this point we don't even know who the head coach will be for that team, much less who the offensive coordinator will be, and what schemes they plan to run. Nor do we know what any of the new coaches will think about Jimmy Clausen or Tony Pike.

Way to much has yet to be determined to know for sure.

Luisito23
01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
If Newton has a huge game next week who's to say Carolina doesn't take him instead...He'll easily sell more tickets, and he's more talented...

dasaybz
01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Carolina takes him unless somebody in the top 5-7 offers them a Ricky Williams package for the pick. And nobody is that stupid...I hope.

stupid or smart?

don137
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
If Newton has a huge game next week who's to say Carolina doesn't take him instead...He'll easily sell more tickets, and he's more talented...

Luck will sell more tickets to Panther fans than Newton. No way they take Newton over Luck. While Newton is very athletic Luck is much better suited for the prototypical NFL offense. He played in a prostyle offense in college. Newton is a very risky pick at #1 overall.

don137
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM

We'll see though.

Clausen lost the confidence of his teammates and annoyed his teammates (i.e. Steve Smith) with his play and actions. The consensus in Charlotte is Clausen will never be nearly as good as Luck. Since Luck is no guarantee to come out of course the management will not throw Clausen under the bus plus they will trade Clausen if they get the opportunity to draft Luck.
A friend that lives in my development works for the Panthers. Next time I talk to him I will ask for the true feelings of management on Clausen and Luck.

better days
01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
It is absolutely not a lock. At this point we don't even know who the head coach will be for that team, much less who the offensive coordinator will be, and what schemes they plan to run. Nor do we know what any of the new coaches will think about Jimmy Clausen or Tony Pike.

Way to much has yet to be determined to know for sure.

While we do not know about the HC & front office for Carolina yet, we do know Clausen sucks & Pike could not beat him out. That tells me all I need to know. Carolina will be in the market for a QB on day 1 of the draft.