PDA

View Full Version : Must draft Luck

Buffalogic
01-03-2011, 02:58 AM
At this point there's no reason to assume that Nix would not move up for Luck. And although unlikely, Luck could possibly fall into the bills lap, but that's hard to count on. Also, standing pat isn't the only strategy available to the Bills.

Carolina's owner might not exactly be thrilled about having to pay for a 1st overall qb when just last year he invested an early 2nd round pick in Clausen. Carolina needs to pay for a new coach, that's a pretty big hit to the wallet especially if Cowher goes there like many people want to put him.

If Carolina wants to trade out Buffalo is a perfect partner because they only move back two spots, they gain more picks which they desperately need and they still are able to select the third best player in the draft. This would make a lot of sense for the Panthers.

It also makes a lot of sense for the Bills. The team would finally have their future star qb and for the first time since Bruce Smith, they would get the best player in the draft. The morale boost and publicity generated by getting the best player in the draft would be electrifying for the organization and go a long way to create an identity for this regime as well as changing the culture of complacency and losing in Buffalo.

TrEd FTW
01-03-2011, 03:20 AM
The morale boost and publicity generated by getting the best player in the draft would be electrifying for the organization and go a long way to create an identity for this regime as well as changing the culture of complacency and losing in Buffalo.
That sentence also applies to Carolina. Luck is going there.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2011, 03:25 AM
the panthers passing on luck would be like the colts passing on manning in 98. aint gonna happen....

Buffalogic
01-03-2011, 03:26 AM
That sentence also applies to Carolina. Luck is going there.Carolina was a playoff team two years ago, The bills have been bad for over a decade.

Buffalogic
01-03-2011, 03:27 AM
the panthers passing on luck would be like the colts passing on manning in 98. aint gonna happen....That's what they said about Reggie bush.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2011, 03:28 AM
That's what they said about Reggie bush.

true. jmo

Danny Duberstein
01-03-2011, 11:32 AM
the panthers passing on luck would be like the colts passing on manning in 98. aint gonna happen....

I wish people would just stop with the Luck/Manning comparisons. Every year, there's at least one "Can't Miss" QB prospect in the draft, who is supposed to be the next Peyton. Luck <> Peyton.

HAMMER
01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
This discussion will not end until late April, uggh.

Nighthawk
01-03-2011, 12:00 PM
This discussion will not end until late April, uggh.

Nope, especially since we still don't have a franchise QB.

HAMMER
01-03-2011, 12:27 PM

But how many times can you say the same thing NightHawk, don't you get sick of repeating yourself?

mikemac2001
01-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Dude we got fitz

Nighthawk
01-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Dude we got fitz

Exactly...we don't have a QB...

Nighthawk
01-03-2011, 12:33 PM
But how many times can you say the same thing NightHawk, don't you get sick of repeating yourself?

Nah, I only repeat it to you and to piss you off because you want to have Fitz's baby.

mikemac2001
01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Nah, I only repeat it to you and to piss you off because you want to have Fitz's baby.

Dude fitz isnt the future answer but we do have a lot of wholes i am just stating

Must draft luck is not a must

Buffalogic
01-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Dude fitz isnt the future answer but we do have a lot of wholes i am just stating

Must draft luck is not a mustIt is if you want to have something to look forward to, instead of the same old crap. Time to break out of the mold and go big, this is their perfect opportunity.

TrEd FTW
01-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Carolina was a playoff team two years ago, The bills have been bad for over a decade.
So what? Carolina will be on its way to a long period of awfulness unless it finds a real quarterback. Enter Andrew Luck.

billsfanryan
01-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Carolina was a playoff team two years ago, The bills have been bad for over a decade.

so you want us to trade away picks to get a qb when we have so many holes? If anything we should be the team that trades back to get more picks and maybe get a guy like gabbert or newton who would also fit gaileys system (assuming nix and gailey want a QB).

Buffalogic
01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
so you want us to trade away picks to get a qb when we have so many holes? If anything we should be the team that trades back to get more picks and maybe get a guy like gabbert or newton who would also fit gaileys system (assuming nix and gailey want a QB).Yeah, I've heard that strategy the last 10 years too. Don't take the best guy because we have other holes!! How do you think we ended up with such an obvious lack of talent playing out there every Sunday??

I guess you want to live out the Losman scenario again?? If we would have just moved up from 13 for a real QB instead of the old 'fill multiple holes' scenario we'd be light years ahead of where we are now.

kingJofNYC
01-03-2011, 11:15 PM
If there's no CBA you basically can't trade roster players for picks. Until this whole thing is straightened out there's no point in discussing it, no CBA makes trading picks impossible.

mikemac2001
01-03-2011, 11:28 PM
It is if you want to have something to look forward to, instead of the same old crap. Time to break out of the mold and go big, this is their perfect opportunity.

i was being a little sarcastic about the fitz love but really we have a ton of holes id rather fill as many as we can this year...if luck is there its a no brainer

X-Era
01-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I've heard that strategy the last 10 years too. Don't take the best guy because we have other holes!! How do you think we ended up with such an obvious lack of talent playing out there every Sunday??

I guess you want to live out the Losman scenario again?? If we would have just moved up from 13 for a real QB instead of the old 'fill multiple holes' scenario we'd be light years ahead of where we are now.
I think if you look at the situation and say that you will fill any traded draft pick with a second tier free agent, you can make a case that you really didn't affect your team year one.

I mean I feel that we could have replaced this years version of Carrington and Troup fairly easily with second tier free agents.

Don't leave open holes just to move up to get this guy, just find another way to fill them.

To me I'd rather have Luck than Troup and Carington, assuming it even took your 2nd and 3rd rounder this year and I'm not so sure you need to trade away that much.

The other possibility is the Manning Rivers scenario. It's not impossible that Carolina will decide they like another QB almost as much as Luck when all is said and done. If you remember, SD actually liked Rivers better just not at 1. It's possible that they could move down to 3 and still get the guy they like almost as much.

I think the more likely scenario is that the new HC likes Clausen's upside and wants to go in a different direction. It would be a lot of money to have invested in 2 quarterbacks. And again, why wouldn't the new HC want a solid starting vet presence like Palmer or McNabb instead? and then develop Clausen/Pike as their future?

A lot still has to play out before we can say Luck to the Panthers is a given.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-04-2011, 06:00 AM
the bills have no luck

and never will

the bills will not even get a sniff at luck
he is going to panthers or following harbaugh to denver

SquishDaFish
01-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Im in the boat of in the draft you take BPA all the time and fill holes with Free Agency.

Saratoga Slim
01-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Or the Dolphins passing on Matt Ryan in 2008? Oh wait. They did.

Ickybaluky
01-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Luck is a much better prospect than Ryan or Bradford. He is absolutely certain to go number one. It would be like passing on Elway. The kid is already a complete prospect, he has not real weakness in his game.

Mahdi
01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
We are not getting Luck so I think Bills fans should move on from this idea. Carolina and Denver would have to have Jim Kelly and Marv Levy and GMs in order for Luck to fall to Buffalo.

Carolina is not sure of Clausen and Denver although they invested heavily in Tebow would probably have no issue trading him (especially with Elway as an advisor) and taking Luck without even thinking.

Luck is 6'4 235 pounds, can run, and has a strong, accurate arm and amazing touch on his passes....

Who would pass on that?

Oh and he is a Stanford kid, smart and seems like a disciplined kid.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 08:55 AM
We are not getting Luck so I think Bills fans should move on from this idea. Carolina and Denver would have to have Jim Kelly and Marv Levy and GMs in order for Luck to fall to Buffalo.

Carolina is not sure of Clausen and Denver although they invested heavily in Tebow would probably have no issue trading him (especially with Elway as an advisor) and taking Luck without even thinking.

Luck is 6'4 235 pounds, can run, and has a strong, accurate arm and amazing touch on his passes....

Who would pass on that?

Oh and he is a Stanford kid, smart and seems like a disciplined kid.

I think we will get him. Why? Because there are times when all this "we have so many holes" and "draft BPA" and blahblahblahblahblah MAKES NO SENSE and the cost is pretty much irrelevant. The Bills will get Luck because we are the most desperate to get Luck. I believe we will make Carolina an offer they cannot and will not refuse.

When the Giants moved up 3 spots to #1 and gave up 3 high picks to get Eli Manning the Giants fans howled but 3 years later they won the SB. Manning was not the prospect Luck is. I'm all in. I think the Bills will be all in. Who's with me?

Mahdi
01-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I think we will get him. Why? Because there are times when all this "we have so many holes" and "draft BPA" and blahblahblahblahblah MAKES NO SENSE and the cost is pretty much irrelevant. The Bills will get Luck because we are the most desperate to get Luck. I believe we will make Carolina an offer they cannot and will not refuse.

When the Giants moved up 3 spots to #1 and gave up 3 high picks to get Eli Manning the Giants fans howled but 3 years later they won the SB. Manning was not the prospect Luck is. I'm all in. I think the Bills will be all in. Who's with me?
This has nothing to do with what the Bills want and what the Bills will offer. It has everything to do with Carolina not being crazy enough to give up Luck. That is a team that is only a QB away from being a competitive team. They have a decent defense, RB, WR and a solid OL.

Luck makes them a contender in a year or 2 if not right away. Why would they trade him?

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
This has nothing to do with what the Bills want and what the Bills will offer. It has everything to do with Carolina not being crazy enough to give up Luck. That is a team that is only a QB away from being a competitive team. They have a decent defense, RB, WR and a solid OL.

Luck makes them a contender in a year or 2 if not right away. Why would they trade him?

Because there will be a star player sitting at 3 for them at another position of need and because they want the extra picks. I believe this can be a win/win.

Mahdi
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Because there will be a star player sitting at 3 for them at another position of need and because they want the extra picks. I believe this can be a win/win.
Yeah Luck is a star player, who plays QB, which they don't have.

You saying that Carolina could/should pass on Luck is the same as the teams below us saying that Buffalo could/should pass on Luck because we have Fitz.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah Luck is a star player, who plays QB, which they don't have.

You saying that Carolina could/should pass on Luck is the same as the teams below us saying that Buffalo could/should pass on Luck because we have Fitz.

Everyone has a price.

Mahdi
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Everyone has a price.
Ok so basically you want the Bills do give their entire draft for Luck and even then I doubt Carolina would agree.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Ok so basically you want the Bills do give their entire draft for Luck and even then I doubt Carolina would agree.

Carolina isn't a 2 win team strictly because they lack a QB. They stink too. It would be very tempting to them to fill in several holes. Every year the team with the first pick solicits offers. Every year. Last year St Louis did and they were desperate for a QB. Carolina just invested in 2 QB's in last years draft. Yeah the price will will steep. So what?

better days
01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Carolina isn't a 2 win team strictly because they lack a QB. They stink too. It would be very tempting to them to fill in several holes. Every year the team with the first pick solicits offers. Every year. Last year St Louis did and they were desperate for a QB. Carolina just invested in 2 QB's in last years draft. Yeah the price will will steep. So what?

Well, the price to move up & draft Losman was not all that much, but people still ***** about it to this day because he didn't pan out. If the Bills give up the farm for Luck & he fails it will really set this team back & MANY people will ***** about it including me.

Mahdi
01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Actually that is exactly why they are a two win team. They have had horrible QB play all year. They have a very strong OL and running game and they have a very good pass defense and a decent run defense.

They can't score points so teams run on them a lot despite the fact that they limit opponents to 3.9 ypc.

This is a team that can make a Falcons-like turnaround with Luck.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Well, the price to move up & draft Losman was not all that much, but people still ***** about it to this day because he didn't pan out. If the Bills give up the farm for Luck & he fails it will really set this team back & MANY people will ***** about it including me.

You're right but I could've told you before that draft that JP Losman was a bust waiting to happen and I'm no scout. Luck is not a Losman. And the fact is no guts no glory. Generally speaking you can't win in this league without a QB. I think Fitz is adequate but adequate isn't good enough. Just my take.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Actually that is exactly why they are a two win team. They have had horrible QB play all year. They have a very strong OL and running game and they have a very good pass defense and a decent run defense.

They can't score points so teams run on them a lot despite the fact that they limit opponents to 3.9 ypc.

This is a team that can make a Falcons-like turnaround with Luck.

Maybe so but I still say there are a lot of GM's that are madly in love with draft picks, almost beyond reason. Having a bunch of picks to many GM's is like offering a drug addict a mirror full of blow.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 02:00 PM
You're right but I could've told you before that draft that JP Losman was a bust waiting to happen and I'm no scout. Luck is not a Losman. And the fact is no guts no glory. Generally speaking you can't win in this league without a QB. I think Fitz is adequate but adequate isn't good enough. Just my take.Fitz is a FA after next year.

Lets say he starts all year, and manages to take us to the playoffs. Do you pay him starting QB money?

What if he doesn't, you let him walk and then you have whom starting?

This is the year to get your future guy, we can't wait any longer or we risk even more seasons of mediocrity.

And if our progression continues, we won't be drafting at 3 either next year.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Fitz is a FA after next year.

Lets say he starts all year, and manages to take us to the playoffs. Do you pay him starting QB money?

What if he doesn't, you let him walk and then you have whom starting?

This is the year to get your future guy, we can't wait any longer or we risk even more seasons of mediocrity.

And if our progression continues, we won't be drafting at 3 either next year.

yep

Mahdi
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Maybe so but I still say there are a lot of GM's that are madly in love with draft picks, almost beyond reason. Having a bunch of picks to many GM's is like offering a drug addict a mirror full of blow.
The ONLY factor here that might get the Panthers to trade is the fact that the Panthers don't have a second round pick.

And if they feel like they like Newton enough. Maybe, doubtful, but maybe they trade for our 1st and 2nd. That way they get Newton and a second rounder which they don't have now.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 03:42 PM
The ONLY factor here that might get the Panthers to trade is the fact that the Panthers don't have a second round pick.

And if they feel like they like Newton enough. Maybe, doubtful, but maybe they trade for our 1st and 2nd. That way they get Newton and a second rounder which they don't have now.

It will take more than our 2nd to make the deal.