X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

The 3rd overall Pick

It's not often a franchise is expected to be in that position often. Do it wrong, well we see what Mike Williams did to this franchise.

The ideal situation is for Luck to be there. And he still may come out as Harbough is likely gone from Standford. but I really doubt that the Bills can get to him primarily because Carolina as a franchise would not pass him up. Still I want luck to come out because that pushes more talented guys down to us.

The safe way is to take a top ranked guy in any position. We are high enough that we practically can take the best out of a number of positions, be it DT, CB, etc. Lord knows we can use a star potential guy at any position on this team.

But I come back to the main theme. We need a franchise QB and I don't know we can count on Fritz for that. That bring us to Cam Newton. To be honest, I was against getting anywhere near him at first. Like Vick before him, he is probably better served to stay in college level and improve his skills at reading defense and throw the ball accurately. But we all know he's sure to come out due to his other problems.

So it is up to the coaches, namely Gailey, I guess, who was the one at Pittsburgh created the then brand new slash Kordell Stewart. There is no doubt comparing college level skills, Newton is a huge upgrade over Stewart. Can Gailey get through Newton, over time? We do have time, at least two years in fact where Fitz will be starting. So Newton can be this slash guy, the wildcat guy to compliment Fitz for at least two years to learn and improve at Pro level.

This is very tempting, also high risk with a potential high reward for this franchise. If Gailey says so, I'd be going for it.

Does anyone know Newton's work ethics? I was very surprised to hear Vick saying that he never actually studied film until his 2nd go-around in NFL. Somehow Newton struck me as having that kind of personality. The problem is the Bills cannot wait for Newton to his 2nd go-around in NFL.
  • Danny Duberstein
    • Jun 2010

Re: The 3rd overall Pick

If the 2010 Draft taught me anything, it's that we should decide what our strongest position currently is, draft a player at that position, then trade away the good players we already had for a 3rd day draft pick. So maybe we should draft a Guard and trade Wood.

THAT folks, is how you build a winner.

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

I'm intrigued by Newton but I'm waiting for the Wonderlic to see if this is Russell and Young 3.0. And stories like this don't sit well with me or make me confident this kid has a ****ing brain in his skull.

Newton, a Heisman Trophy front-runner, is said to have been caught cheating three times, including putting his name on someone else's paper without that student's knowledge.

SEC blog

ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.Blog network:
      College Football Nation

Newton attended Florida in 2007 and 2008 before transferring to Blinn College, a junior college in Texas.

Newton decided to leave Florida following a November 2008 arrest after he bought a stolen computer. The charges were dropped last December when he completed a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders.

According to FoxSports.com, Newton again violated the university's honor code by putting his name on another student's paper and turning it in. Newton was caught after the instructor asked the real author of the paper why he had not turned in his work.
      Newton turned in a second paper to the instructor, but that paper was later found to have been purchased off the Internet, according to FoxSports.com. He was to appear for a hearing in front of Florida's Student Conduct Committee during the spring semester of 2009 but instead transferred to Blinn College.

Comment

• dog14787
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Sell Local Ralph
        I'm intrigued by Newton but I'm waiting for the Wonderlic to see if this is Russell and Young 3.0. And stories like this don't sit well with me or make me confident this kid has a ****ing brain in his skull.

Newton, a Heisman Trophy front-runner, is said to have been caught cheating three times, including putting his name on someone else's paper without that student's knowledge.

SEC blog

ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.Blog network:
        College Football Nation

Newton attended Florida in 2007 and 2008 before transferring to Blinn College, a junior college in Texas.

Newton decided to leave Florida following a November 2008 arrest after he bought a stolen computer. The charges were dropped last December when he completed a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders.

According to FoxSports.com, Newton again violated the university's honor code by putting his name on another student's paper and turning it in. Newton was caught after the instructor asked the real author of the paper why he had not turned in his work.
        Newton turned in a second paper to the instructor, but that paper was later found to have been purchased off the Internet, according to FoxSports.com. He was to appear for a hearing in front of Florida's Student Conduct Committee during the spring semester of 2009 but instead transferred to Blinn College.
        Speaking of wonderlic , here is a good article from The palm Beach Post Sports that gives wonderlic scores for current and past NFL QB's

We have our one and only Ryan Fitzpatrick at the Top with an almost perfect score (48), in comparison Jim Kelly (15)

Note: All attributes of a signal caller come into play to get an accurate overall evaluation in my opinion and heart is something that can't be measured. Tom Brady ranks 8th on current QB wonderlic scores(33), but Brady's exceptional accuracy and field vision trumps all making him very possibly the best QB the National Football League has ever seen.
        Last edited by Figster; 01-03-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2010

UGHHHHH..... just take marcell dareus the next bruce!

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

I see Nix more in the mold of John Butler - hate giving up draft picks like trading up. So I really doubt the Bills will be in the mode of trading up to #1. Drafting Newton is an option like I said before, though he's very risky especially at #3 spot. There will be a lot of pressure to start him for drafting him that high.

The more I think about it, the more I see a scenario similar to SD years back when they weren't so convinced with Vick. I see the Bills taking a star potential guy at #3 and scoop Locker to groom in the 2nd. Fitz will be our Flutie except that he may start 2 to 3 years before Locker sees the field.

Comment

• psubills62
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
              UGHHHHH..... just take marcell dareus the next bruce!
              You sound constipated in a lot of your posts lately. I can't wait to see what they are like come April.

Weren't the Bills rumored to be looking to trade up into the late first round last year? Though they said it wasn't for Tebow, so who knows exactly who they were looking to get.
              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

Hughes?

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Jan 2010

dareus is the bpa, and the safest pick. please take him or fairley, please... i dont want another whitner pick for christs sake...

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

big difference between slash and newton is that slash was a special teamer. He was given a chance to shine. he had to prove it to keep the job. That will instill hard work for a guy who had a tough time sticking on the team. He doesn't take things for granted.

Newton walks in as an heir apparent, has the luxury of watching fitz start, and nearly $50MM reasons to not study as hard as the next guy.

I don't know anything about newton, but if the bills brass picks him, Ii'm on board because i'll assume the due diligence checks out. if they pass on him, i won't cry too much as the red flags are too numerous

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by JOHN DELLAPELLE
                      dareus is the bpa, and the safest pick. please take him or fairley, please... i dont want another whitner pick for christs sake...
                      Nobody does. I'd like to have a Revis/Champ Bailey, though.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                      X