PDA

View Full Version : If Chan Gailey in 1997 could......

BidsJr
01-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Get 11 wins and 32 total touchdowns out of first year starter Kordell Stewart, what do you think he could get out of Cam Newton?

Just sayin.

TacklingDummy
01-03-2011, 08:32 AM
How many 4-12 coaches in year 1 and probably 4-12 the following year, keep their jobs?

Jersey1031
01-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Get 11 wins and 32 total touchdowns out of first year starter Kordell Stewart, what do you think he could get out of Cam Newton?

Just sayin.

i've actually warmed up to a possible newton pick, although 3 seems to be a bit high pre-combine

Night Train
01-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Pittsburgh already had a good overall team in place. Each situation is unique to itself.

I want DL but could see the Bills and a dozen other teams looking hard at Newton.

YardRat
01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Give us Pittsburgh's defense and offensive line first, and then we'll talk.

elltrain22
01-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Lets look at Newton's pro's and con's.

Cons
- character concerns
- not a "pro style" qb
- needs to read coverage alot better (but what young qb doesn't)

Pros
- ideal size & speed
- huge arm
- proven winner
- performs well in the clutch
- fairly accurate passer
- can turn busted plays into big gains

I would love Newton as our qb of the future. I think he's gonna be a very good NFL qb.

BidsJr
01-03-2011, 12:51 PM

This is what you just don't seem to get. If we had Pitts D and O-Line, we'd never be in position to draft Newton or Luck.

Then we would have to bank on a once in every 2 decade D to win us a superbowl. See Trent Dilfer and the Ravens D, or Jimmy Mac and the 85 Bears.

If you are in position to grab a potential franchise QB you do it every single time. We haven't been in this spot since 1985 and hope we are never in it again anytime soon.

Sure there is a potential for a bust but what did the Chargers do after Ryan Leaf??? They drafted Brees and then Rivers.

BidsJr
01-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Oh and by the way what did the Steelers do with the best draft pick they had in the last 10 years?

Oh yea they drafted a QB.

ptd86
01-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Newton playing in essentially a high school offense is my biggest concern. I think you would have to basically redshirt him, which losing a year is a lot considering how much money you would have to give a QB with the 3rd pick.

I like him a lot, but think it's a very risky pick. His running style is also different than Vick's he tends to run people over which isn't as easy in the NFL.

tampabay25690
01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Lets look at Newton's pro's and con's.

Cons
- character concerns
- not a "pro style" qb
- needs to read coverage alot better (but what young qb doesn't)

Pros
- ideal size & speed
- huge arm
- proven winner
- performs well in the clutch
- fairly accurate passer
- can turn busted plays into big gains

I would love Newton as our qb of the future. I think he's gonna be a very good NFL qb.

How many QB's now coming out of College are actually pro style????
The only character convern I have is none..........He handled this year inreal to be honest......

elltrain22
01-03-2011, 01:53 PM
How many QB's now coming out of College are actually pro style????
The only character convern I have is none..........He handled this year inreal to be honest......

Andrew Luck is a "pro style" qb. I don't have character concerns either, but I was just trying to play devil's advocate. Like I said, I am pro Cam Newton.

YardRat
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
This is what you just don't seem to get. If we had Pitts D and O-Line, we'd never be in position to draft Newton or Luck.

Then we would have to bank on a once in every 2 decade D to win us a superbowl. See Trent Dilfer and the Ravens D, or Jimmy Mac and the 85 Bears.

If you are in position to grab a potential franchise QB you do it every single time. We haven't been in this spot since 1985 and hope we are never in it again anytime soon.

Sure there is a potential for a bust but what did the Chargers do after Ryan Leaf??? They drafted Brees and then Rivers.

What you don't seem to get is if you have a dominant offensive line and defense, you can be consistently successful regardless of whether your QB is Terry Bradshaw, Neil O'Donahue, Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart or Ben Roethlisberger.

Build from the trenches out, and eventually you may hit on a franchise QB while still contending for a title, or even win a trophy or two without one. Keep wasting high draft picks (or trading them away) on 'maybes' at QB and you consistently pick in the top 10, every season.

Leaf was an epic bust, Brees didn't win jack until he was moved, and Rivers, for all intents and purposes, hasn't done squat than 100 other QB's have done in the regular season.

Luck isn't happening for Buffalo, and it astounds me that after all of the colossal draft fubars this team has suffered over the past decade there's actually somebody out there that wants to trade away picks for one guy or reach for another.

BidsJr
01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
What you don't seem to get is if you have a dominant offensive line and defense, you can be consistently successful regardless of whether your QB is Terry Bradshaw, Neil O'Donahue, Tommy Maddox, Kordell Stewart or Ben Roethlisberger.

No, I "get" that. But I also "get" that a dominant O-line and D = 16 players.

I'll take my chances on getting lucky with 1 QB, than rolling the dice on getting 16 players do create the dominant O-Line and D that you are in fantasy land about.

If you hit on the QB you can plug in players around him for the next 15 years see NE, Indy and even Arizona and St. Louis with Warner. With your philosophy you have to have hit after hit after hit, count them all to 16.

YardRat
01-03-2011, 02:18 PM
No, I "get" that. But I also "get" that a dominant O-line and D = 16 players.

I'll take my chances on getting lucky with 1 QB, than rolling the dice on getting 16 players do create the dominant O-Line and D that you are in fantasy land about.

If you hit on the QB you can plug in players around him for the next 15 years see NE, Indy and even Arizona and St. Louis with Warner. With your philosophy you have to have hit after hit after hit, count them all to 16.

Brady is a 6th round anomaly, Indy doesn't win dick without their defense stepping up and every season, inevitably, somebody's D takes Manning and Co. out of the hunt, and Warner was a freakin bagger at the Piggly Wiggly.

You do realize that two out of the three QB's you refer to were almost as far from a high first round pick you can get, right?

ptd86
01-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Brady is a 6th round anomaly, Indy doesn't win dick without their defense stepping up and every season, inevitably, somebody's D takes Manning and Co. out of the hunt, and Warner was a freakin bagger at the Piggly Wiggly.

You do realize that two out of the three QB's you refer to were almost as far from a high first round pick you can get, right?

Top 10 QBS (1st round)
Peyton- Yes
Brady - No
Rivers - Yes
Vick - Yes
Brees - Yes (basically, first pick in 2nd round)
Rodgers - Yes
Matt Ryan - Yes
Big Ben - Yes
Arguable
Cutler, Schaub, Eli, Flacco (3 out of 4 first round picks)

Just saying while it is fun to name a few guys that worked out in the late rounds. You basically have to get your franchise QB in the first round.

BidsJr
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Top 10 QBS (1st round)
Peyton- Yes
Brady - No
Rivers - Yes
Vick - Yes
Brees - Yes (basically, first pick in 2nd round)
Rodgers - Yes
Matt Ryan - Yes
Big Ben - Yes
Arguable
Cutler, Schaub, Eli, Flacco (3 out of 4 first round picks)

Just saying while it is fun to name a few guys that worked out in the late rounds. You basically have to get your franchise QB in the first round.

There ya go.