• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingJofNYC
    • Sep 2009

McShay has Gabbert in the top 5

Has him going to Arizona at 5.

Think that's a bit of a reach. How does this guy still have a job? Reluctantly took Locker off the top spot after having him there a majority of the season.

Seems clueless.

Last edited by kingJofNYC; 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM.
  • Jaybird
    • Dec 2005

Re: McShay has Gabbert in the top 5

can you post the link?

Comment

• kingJofNYC
      • Sep 2009

Added the link to the OP, Insider only, ESPN sucks.

His top 5 mock:

Luck
      Fairley
      Peterson
      Bowers
      Gabbert

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

I would put him there if I felt better about his inconsistencies. They don't bother me because I think it's a matter of time, not if, but because of them I can't agree that he should be drafted top 10 or 5. I think the right spot for him is late 1st early 2nd. But, IMO, I like him better than Mallet and Newton at this point. Both Newton and Mallett will likely be drafted ahead of him at this point because of their success this year. But, Newton and Mallett have some off the field issues that need to be answered.

I will also add this. Gabbert still looking raw is the only concern I have with him and I see no reason he can't sit for a while, even if it's a bit longer because he is still a bit raw. He can further develop his decision making and pocket presence which will improve his consistency. If he stays, and I think he should, I see him battling for the top QB rank next year. A team could make a case for him that early because of his better off the field situation and maturity, which may lead a team to make a better argument for him as the better leader.

And, as I have said numerous times, he already looks decent at reading defenses, can make every NFL throw, has one of the strongest arms in the draft, has a quick release, usually uses good footwork, is pretty mobile, and has solid accuracy. I like his leadership, I like his decision making most of the time and I think he's a deceptive play maker who makes plays that keep the chains moving more often than it appears. I also like the fact that he has come from a spread since we run it so often. I think he fits the Bills well.

Would I have an issue with the Bills taking him that high? Probably not because of what I think he can become. But, my opinion is based on potential and he is not worthy of that high of a pick right now. I also think his off-season may further improve his rank and that he could reach that high of a pick if he excels.
        Last edited by X-Era; 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
          I would put him there if I felt better about his inconsistencies. They don't bother me, but because of them I can't agree that he should be drafted top 10 or 5. I think the right spot for him is late 1st early 2nd. But, IMO, I like him better than Mallet and Newton at this point. Newton and Mallett have some off the field issues that need to be answered.
          I'm with you on most of this. I actually think Gabbert is going higher than most believe. I don't think McShay's that far off with this (maybe not top 5 though). I still think Locker is going to go high too. I think Mallett is going to be the guy who drops quite a bit because of the mental concerns. Too much Jeff George for my comfort. Newton is the most gifted, overall, but he needs a lot of good coaching and, as you mentioned, the off-the-field questions will require a bunch of teams to spend extra money on pre-draft due diligence.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TedMock
            I'm with you on most of this. I actually think Gabbert is going higher than most believe. I don't think McShay's that far off with this (maybe not top 5 though). I still think Locker is going to go high too. I think Mallett is going to be the guy who drops quite a bit because of the mental concerns. Too much Jeff George for my comfort. Newton is the most gifted, overall, but he needs a lot of good coaching and, as you mentioned, the off-the-field questions will require a bunch of teams to spend extra money on pre-draft due diligence.
            I agree with you about Locker.. Watch him climb the draft boards again this offseason.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Luisito23
              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              I agree with you about Locker.. Watch him climb the draft boards again this offseason.

I don't think so.
              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TedMock
                On Newton, I think there are teams that won't worry that much at all about the off the field stuff, I just don;t think the Bills will be one of them.

On Locker, I think that teams may try to convince themselves they can get over the inconsistencies but that they will end up ranking him behind Luck, Mallett, Newton and maybe even Gabbert because of it. I think that Lockers stock will rise back into late 1 consideration though because of his athleticism and what he is likely to do running drills in shorts.

I think that if Luck, Mallett, Newton, and Gabbert all declare I think we could see 4 or maybe 5 QB's drafted in round 1.
                Last edited by X-Era; 01-03-2011, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Luisito23
                  I don't think so.
                  Locker at the combine will put up huge impressive numbers.
                  he will be in the 1st round again.
                  I think Mallett goes in the 2nd
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• don137
                    • Jul 2002

I think one of those "first round" QBs will fall to Buffalo's pick in the second round. Not saying the Bills will take him but I think they will have the opportunity to draft one in round 2.

Comment

• Akhippo
                      • Nov 2002

I think Buffalo will have an opportunity for one of those in the second.
                      Add in Kolb and McNabb and thats 7 potential QBs for needy first round teams.
                      Carolina - Luck
                      Buffalo - Gabbert in the second
                      SF - Newton
                      AZ - Kolb
                      Seattle?
                      Miami - Mallet
                      Oakland - No first rounder
                      Washington - Locker
                      Minny - McNabb
                      Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Every year somebody pulls a dumb move for a QB, and every year at least one gets drafted way higher than the big boards would indicate. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Arizona reached for one this draft.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                          Locker at the combine will put up huge impressive numbers.
                          he will be in the 1st round again.
                          I think Mallett goes in the 2nd
                          Was never first round to begin with, so being it again is impossible.

Only reason Locker goes Round 1 (and I dont think he does) is because of how bad this QB class is as a whole. Especially if Luck doesnt come out.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                            • Apr 2008

why is this the first ive heard of gabbert's stock being so high? we've been talking qb all year and it seems this guy's name rarely came up... what's his deal, can someone give me some positives/negatives about gabbert?

Comment

• k-oneputt
                              • Jun 2009

Qb's always go high because to most it's the most important position. Should be obvious.
                              If the Bills all lucky enough for one to fall to the 2nd, grab him.

Comment

Working...
                              X