PDA

View Full Version : McShay has Gabbert in the top 5

kingJofNYC
01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Has him going to Arizona at 5.

Think that's a bit of a reach. How does this guy still have a job? Reluctantly took Locker off the top spot after having him there a majority of the season.

Seems clueless.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=nfl_draft&id=5984118&action=upsell&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog%3fname%3dnfl_draft%26id%3d5984118

Jaybird
01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
can you post the link?

kingJofNYC
01-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Added the link to the OP, Insider only, ESPN sucks.

His top 5 mock:

Luck
Fairley
Peterson
Bowers
Gabbert

X-Era
01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I would put him there if I felt better about his inconsistencies. They don't bother me because I think it's a matter of time, not if, but because of them I can't agree that he should be drafted top 10 or 5. I think the right spot for him is late 1st early 2nd. But, IMO, I like him better than Mallet and Newton at this point. Both Newton and Mallett will likely be drafted ahead of him at this point because of their success this year. But, Newton and Mallett have some off the field issues that need to be answered.

I will also add this. Gabbert still looking raw is the only concern I have with him and I see no reason he can't sit for a while, even if it's a bit longer because he is still a bit raw. He can further develop his decision making and pocket presence which will improve his consistency. If he stays, and I think he should, I see him battling for the top QB rank next year. A team could make a case for him that early because of his better off the field situation and maturity, which may lead a team to make a better argument for him as the better leader.

And, as I have said numerous times, he already looks decent at reading defenses, can make every NFL throw, has one of the strongest arms in the draft, has a quick release, usually uses good footwork, is pretty mobile, and has solid accuracy. I like his leadership, I like his decision making most of the time and I think he's a deceptive play maker who makes plays that keep the chains moving more often than it appears. I also like the fact that he has come from a spread since we run it so often. I think he fits the Bills well.

Would I have an issue with the Bills taking him that high? Probably not because of what I think he can become. But, my opinion is based on potential and he is not worthy of that high of a pick right now. I also think his off-season may further improve his rank and that he could reach that high of a pick if he excels.

TedMock
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I would put him there if I felt better about his inconsistencies. They don't bother me, but because of them I can't agree that he should be drafted top 10 or 5. I think the right spot for him is late 1st early 2nd. But, IMO, I like him better than Mallet and Newton at this point. Newton and Mallett have some off the field issues that need to be answered.

I'm with you on most of this. I actually think Gabbert is going higher than most believe. I don't think McShay's that far off with this (maybe not top 5 though). I still think Locker is going to go high too. I think Mallett is going to be the guy who drops quite a bit because of the mental concerns. Too much Jeff George for my comfort. Newton is the most gifted, overall, but he needs a lot of good coaching and, as you mentioned, the off-the-field questions will require a bunch of teams to spend extra money on pre-draft due diligence.

patmoran2006
01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm with you on most of this. I actually think Gabbert is going higher than most believe. I don't think McShay's that far off with this (maybe not top 5 though). I still think Locker is going to go high too. I think Mallett is going to be the guy who drops quite a bit because of the mental concerns. Too much Jeff George for my comfort. Newton is the most gifted, overall, but he needs a lot of good coaching and, as you mentioned, the off-the-field questions will require a bunch of teams to spend extra money on pre-draft due diligence.

I agree with you about Locker.. Watch him climb the draft boards again this offseason.

Luisito23
01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
I agree with you about Locker.. Watch him climb the draft boards again this offseason.

I don't think so.

X-Era
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm with you on most of this. I actually think Gabbert is going higher than most believe. I don't think McShay's that far off with this (maybe not top 5 though). I still think Locker is going to go high too. I think Mallett is going to be the guy who drops quite a bit because of the mental concerns. Too much Jeff George for my comfort. Newton is the most gifted, overall, but he needs a lot of good coaching and, as you mentioned, the off-the-field questions will require a bunch of teams to spend extra money on pre-draft due diligence.On Newton, I think there are teams that won't worry that much at all about the off the field stuff, I just don;t think the Bills will be one of them.

On Locker, I think that teams may try to convince themselves they can get over the inconsistencies but that they will end up ranking him behind Luck, Mallett, Newton and maybe even Gabbert because of it. I think that Lockers stock will rise back into late 1 consideration though because of his athleticism and what he is likely to do running drills in shorts.

I think that if Luck, Mallett, Newton, and Gabbert all declare I think we could see 4 or maybe 5 QB's drafted in round 1.

tampabay25690
01-03-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't think so.

Locker at the combine will put up huge impressive numbers.
he will be in the 1st round again.
I think Mallett goes in the 2nd

don137
01-03-2011, 01:44 PM
I think one of those "first round" QBs will fall to Buffalo's pick in the second round. Not saying the Bills will take him but I think they will have the opportunity to draft one in round 2.

Akhippo
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I think Buffalo will have an opportunity for one of those in the second.
Add in Kolb and McNabb and thats 7 potential QBs for needy first round teams.
Carolina - Luck
Buffalo - Gabbert in the second
SF - Newton
AZ - Kolb
Seattle?
Miami - Mallet
Oakland - No first rounder
Washington - Locker
Minny - McNabb

YardRat
01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Every year somebody pulls a dumb move for a QB, and every year at least one gets drafted way higher than the big boards would indicate. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Arizona reached for one this draft.

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Locker at the combine will put up huge impressive numbers.
he will be in the 1st round again.
I think Mallett goes in the 2nd

Was never first round to begin with, so being it again is impossible.

Only reason Locker goes Round 1 (and I dont think he does) is because of how bad this QB class is as a whole. Especially if Luck doesnt come out.

Dr. Pepper
01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
why is this the first ive heard of gabbert's stock being so high? we've been talking qb all year and it seems this guy's name rarely came up... what's his deal, can someone give me some positives/negatives about gabbert?

k-oneputt
01-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Qb's always go high because to most it's the most important position. Should be obvious.
If the Bills all lucky enough for one to fall to the 2nd, grab him.

BertSquirtgum
01-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Only reason Locker goes Round 1 (and I dont think he does) is because of how bad this QB class is as a whole. Especially if Luck doesnt come out.

i thought everyone was saying how great this qb class was. it was supposed to be the next jim kelly, john elway, steve young class but better.

X-Era
01-03-2011, 02:30 PM
why is this the first ive heard of gabbert's stock being so high? we've been talking qb all year and it seems this guy's name rarely came up... what's his deal, can someone give me some positives/negatives about gabbert?I've been talking about him all year. Here's a link to my reports on him:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3290932#post3290932

X-Era
01-03-2011, 02:34 PM
i thought everyone was saying how great this qb class was. it was supposed to be the next jim kelly, john elway, steve young class but better.Some were, some weren't. Many said this would be a great year for QB's last year when we they argued we should skip QB last year. My point then and now is that many will not like the idea of a QB that high, but for this team it may be the best path to fixing our issue for the long haul.

wozrob11
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
i just read on twitter that gabbert just declared for the draft

better days
01-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I think Buffalo will have an opportunity for one of those in the second.
Add in Kolb and McNabb and thats 7 potential QBs for needy first round teams.
Carolina - Luck
Buffalo - Gabbert in the second
SF - Newton
AZ - Kolb
Seattle?
Miami - Mallet
Oakland - No first rounder
Washington - Locker
Minny - McNabb

I know John Clayton & the Seattle media would love to get Locker. He would be like Tebow going to the Jags. The Jags missed out on selling a lot of tickets for at least 3-4 years not drafting Tebow. They might even have been able to remove some of the tarps.

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 03:26 PM
i thought everyone was saying how great this qb class was. it was supposed to be the next jim kelly, john elway, steve young class but better.

Nobody ever said that, but some had hopes (myself included) if valued on QB's played fairly then this class would be fine but bc QB's are over drafted the class suffers.

THATHURMANATOR
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Gabbert? Never heard of the guy.... But I will admit to that unlike most others that will pretend to have intimate knowledge of the thoughts in his mind.

Draftboy what are your feelings on this him? I can say I have never watched him play. Is he the guy they had an article on a couple years ago when Mizzou had that other QB and how his backup was the one that would be drafted higher?

Bangarang
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Gabbert? Never heard of the guy.... But I will admit to that unlike most others that will pretend to have intimate knowledge of the thoughts in his mind.

Draftboy what are your feelings on this him? I can say I have never watched him play. Is he the guy they had an article on a couple years ago when Mizzou had that other QB and how his backup was the one that would be drafted higher?

Gabbert has prototypical size. A true cannon for an arm. Good mobility. Decent to good footwork. Needs to work on reading defenses and making smart decisions. Something that Fitz can certainly help him with while he sits for a year or 2. I've liked him for a little while now. Seems to be humble and have a good head on his shoulders as well.

X-Era
01-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Gabbert has prototypical size. A true cannon for an arm. Good mobility. Decent to good footwork. Needs to work on reading defenses and making smart decisions. Something that Fitz can certainly help him with while he sits for a year or 2. I've liked him for a little while now. Seems to be humble and have a good head on his shoulders as well.I think we may be overstating what he needs to work on. Sure, he looked bad in the Nebraska game and Texas Tech game, but in many other games he has shown the ability to read defenses. I wanted him to play rock solid in both the aforementioned games. I felt, if he did, he could show the type of consistency that you would look for with a top 10 pick. Now, that does not mean that he is bad at it or that he won't further develop. Only that his current body of work shows some inconsistency. I feel better about his decision making than I do with Lockers and Locker stayed for his senior year.

kingJofNYC
01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Well for him to declare he must have received positive feedback from draft projections. May indeed be a first day pick.

Lone Stranger
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I would like to see the Bills somehow manage to manipulate the draft to both get Gabbert and a top DL or linebacker. This can be done if they move #3.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Perfect this will leave Pat Devlin right where I want him, for us to snag him in the 2nd.

Mad Max
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
I would like to see the Bills somehow manage to manipulate the draft to both get Gabbert and a top DL or linebacker. This can be done if they move #3.
Careful, you're going to get X-Era envisioning a name change..to Gabbert-Era.

I agree this would be my ideal, non-Luck scenario. Quinn,Dareus,Bowers with first pick, Gabby with second.

This should be doable.

TigerJ
01-03-2011, 05:32 PM
If Gabbert enters the draft, and Luck does to (which he'll likely do if Harbaugh gets a pro coaching gig) the list of top QBs will grow to the point where somebody is going to drop out of the first round. I think every QB besides Luck is a reach for Buffalo at # 3, but at #33 Gabbert, Locker or Mallett are all pretty enticing. I think Newton will go in the first, as will at least two out of the three aforementioned, but one of them just might drop.

Bangarang
01-03-2011, 05:34 PM
If Gabbert enters the draft, and Luck does to (which he'll likely do if Harbaugh gets a pro coaching gig) the list of top QBs will grow to the point where somebody is going to drop out of the first round. I think every QB besides Luck is a reach for Buffalo at # 3, but at #33 Gabbert, Locker or Mallett are all pretty enticing. I think Newton will go in the first, as will at least two out of the three aforementioned, but one of them just might drop.

Gabbert officially declared.

X-Era
01-03-2011, 05:43 PM
If Gabbert enters the draft, and Luck does to (which he'll likely do if Harbaugh gets a pro coaching gig) the list of top QBs will grow to the point where somebody is going to drop out of the first round. I think every QB besides Luck is a reach for Buffalo at # 3, but at #33 Gabbert, Locker or Mallett are all pretty enticing. I think Newton will go in the first, as will at least two out of the three aforementioned, but one of them just might drop.I could easily see Gabbert going above Mallett and Newton if teams go sour on the off the field stuff with Newton and character questions on Mallett. I could then see Gabbert as the #2 QB taken. 3 seems high but it's early still. All a team needs to see from Gabbert is that he can further develop his pocket presence and decision making to be convinced he's a 1st round talent... all the measurables will likely be there and he is already at least average in his mental markup.

Nighthawk
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Honestly, how many years are we going to say there are "no QBs" worth drafting? There are ALWAYS QB's worth drafting and the overanalysis by scouts is kind of comical.

X-Era
01-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Honestly, how many years are we going to say there are "no QBs" worth drafting? There are ALWAYS QB's worth drafting and the overanalysis by scouts is kind of comical.I'm going to agree with both of you in a way... I think QB's are frequently over drafted because it's such a coveted position.

X-Era
01-03-2011, 05:59 PM
If Gabbert enters the draft, and Luck does to (which he'll likely do if Harbaugh gets a pro coaching gig) the list of top QBs will grow to the point where somebody is going to drop out of the first round. I think every QB besides Luck is a reach for Buffalo at # 3, but at #33 Gabbert, Locker or Mallett are all pretty enticing. I think Newton will go in the first, as will at least two out of the three aforementioned, but one of them just might drop.If Carolina goes Luck at 1, we pick right after Carolina in round 2 so any QB that drops out of the 1st is ours for the taking. My problem is Gabberts hype is on the rise and I'd prefer him to Newton or Mallet and certainly Locker... if we waited, I don't think we would get Gabbert and Mallett or Locker would be who drops out.

camelcowboy
01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Locker sucks stay away

Night Train
01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
McShay has some bizarre rankings and fails to ever impress me.

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Honestly, how many years are we going to say there are "no QBs" worth drafting? There are ALWAYS QB's worth drafting and the overanalysis by scouts is kind of comical.

Again do you wanna talk about what I actually said, or do you yet again wanna change it to fit your argument better? I never once have said no QB is worth drafting.

justasportsfan
01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Again do you wanna talk about what I actually said, or do you yet again wanna change it to fit your argument better? I never once have said no QB is worth drafting.

will you stop arguing and just answer this?

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Good size, good arm, and for the most part good decisions. His issues come up when he faces pressure, and when he tries to do too much.

I need to see work on his pre-snap reads better because he fails to ID the proper blitzes at time. He will throw the ball up under pressure, but does have the mobililty to give out of the pocket and escape up the middle pressure.

He has decent pocket presence and good footwork. Phenomenal mechanics, stands tall in the pocket but does not always see the field well.

Needs to work on some polish things like field vision, backside pressure awareness, and just learn to take a breath and not try and over do it.

Overall a very good prospect who may need some time to develop. Ideal 2nd Round pick if he lasts. QB overvaluing may force him into the 20-32 range though, which is unfortunate.

His pro day/combine will be huge.

k-oneputt
01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Well that just covered what every young qb does wrong and needs work on. Especially the pressure part. You can add Brady and Manning to screwing up when they get pressure too.
thanks for the effort though.

YardRat
01-03-2011, 07:02 PM
why is this the first ive heard of gabbert's stock being so high? we've been talking qb all year and it seems this guy's name rarely came up... what's his deal, can someone give me some positives/negatives about gabbert?

I've been talking about him all year. Here's a link to my reports on him:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...32#post3290932 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3290932#post3290932)

I was just going to say X has been on Gabbert's nutsack for a while now.

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Well that just covered what every young qb does wrong and needs work on. Especially the pressure part. You can add Brady and Manning to screwing up when they get pressure too.

Yea...not quite...

k-oneputt
01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Yea...not quite...

I'm not even joking.

I think you hit on his strengths right on.

YardRat
01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
I hope every one of these guys declare, and they all get snagged in the mid- to late-first round. That just leaves more defensive players, maybe even an OT, on the board to drop into our laps in the second.

don137
01-03-2011, 08:00 PM
If Carolina goes Luck at 1, we pick right after Carolina in round 2 so any QB that drops out of the 1st is ours for the taking. My problem is Gabberts hype is on the rise and I'd prefer him to Newton or Mallet and certainly Locker... if we waited, I don't think we would get Gabbert and Mallett or Locker would be who drops out.
One problem is New England has Carolina's second round pick. If they do the first round on Friday and second round on Saturday that leaves New England to work a deal with a team to take next year's first round pick in exchange for the top second round pick. With 2 picks in each of the first three rounds I would not be surprised if New England traded the first pick of round 2.

Mad Max
01-03-2011, 08:10 PM
One problem is New England has Carolina's second round pick. If they do the first round on Friday and second round on Saturday that leaves New England to work a deal with a team to take next year's first round pick in exchange for the top second round pick. With 2 picks in each of the first three rounds I would not be surprised if New England traded the first pick of round 2.

Very good point. I can't remember a recent Patriots draft where belidouche didn't trade down to stockpile more picks.

k-oneputt
01-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Seen it twice now. Paniced and makes dumb throws. He's human.

Taylor just did same thing.

tampabay25690
01-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Sure he was he graded 1st round last year and going into this year.

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Sure he was he graded 1st round last year and going into this year.
No he was given a 3rd round grade by the NFL Advisory Committee. The first round report was false. He went back to school due to his low grade.

k-oneputt
01-03-2011, 10:06 PM
What did the advisory committee give our boy Maybin.

Just curious.

DraftBoy
01-03-2011, 10:11 PM
What did the advisory committee give our boy Maybin.

Just curious.
Never released so I dont know.

kingJofNYC
01-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Great interview with Gabbert, a bit long but very interesting.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/behind-the-stripes/2010/dec/24/moe-gabbert-go-deep/

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2011, 02:00 AM
not sure the value is there at 3 but hes clearly my number 2 qb.... maybe they pull the trigger. either way if this pick is anything besides qb or dline, im done...

Commissioner
01-04-2011, 05:24 AM
I've been talking about him all year. Here's a link to my reports on him:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3290932#post3290932

I've been mentioning Gabbert all year also.... http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3328528&postcount=116

The guy's got all the tools... just needs a little bit more development.