PDA

View Full Version : Whitner's exit

madness
01-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Whitner’s exit (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/03/whitners-exit/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2011-01-03T16:01:14+0000"> January 3, 2011 – 4:01 pm </abbr> </small>

Bills free agent safety to be Donte Whitner was nowhere to be found during locker clean out at One Bills Drive Monday. The former first-round pick looked to be long gone with his locker completely bare including his name plate at the top, which was disappointing to see as far as his head coach was concerned.
“Tenuous would be a word you could use there,” said Chan Gailey when asked about Whitner’s future with the organization. “I didn’t realize that until I was told that a few minutes ago that that had happened. He’s a really good player. You’d love to have him on your football team, but we’re in a business where that doesn’t happen every time. We’ll wait and see what happens.”
When asked Whitner’s apparent intentions to exit quickly Gailey said the following.
“You don’t what kind of advice these guys get,” he said.
Here was Whitner’s bare locker late this morning. It’s the one on the left.

http://nflbills.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/img00040-20110103-09432.jpg?w=225&h=300

Can't say I expected any class in his departure...

Bangarang
01-03-2011, 03:29 PM
He wants elite safety money. He's not an elite safety. We can do worse at the position, but we can also do better. It's just part of the business. If in fact he is no longer on the roster next season then I wish him luck.

psubills62
01-03-2011, 03:29 PM
He's as good as gone. If the whispers of his contract demands are true, then I have no problem with this. Wilson at SS is not a huge drop-off, imo. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

kingJofNYC
01-03-2011, 03:30 PM
To be fair, the fans haven't treated him that well either, feelings were mutual on both sides.

Move on, hope he does better somewhere else. Don't want to wish ill on anyone.

sqad5
Oh well moving on

Stewie
I'm sure Donte will tell us all about it on twitter and as an aside, God will be mentioned about once for each interception he's ever had.

Oaf
First reaction is that I feel bad for the guy. Been on such a mismanaged team for his whole career, probably still pretty emotional after getting trashed again yesterday, if he wanted to make a quiet and quick exit today, so what?

BADTHINGSMAN
That is the quickest he has ever moved.

BidsJr
01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Bye.

madness
01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
That is the quickest he has ever moved.

:rofl:

X-Era
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Sweet, yet another hole.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Peace out Donte.

Enjoy your non-elite safety money elsewhere.

Mad Max
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm sure Donte will tell us all about it on twitter and as an aside, God will be mentioned about once for each interception he's ever had.

That won't take many keystrokes to write.

madness
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Peace out Donte.

Enjoy your non-elite safety money in Cleveland.

:evil:

Mad Max
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Peace out Donte.

Enjoy your non-elite safety money elsewhere.

Snyder's dumbass will probably overpay him.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
:evil:

:rofl:

Nah, TJ Ward doesn't have to worry.

TacklingDummy
01-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Good riddance.

Mr. Pink
01-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Snyder's dumbass will probably overpay him.

He already has Laron Landry to overpay.

BidsJr
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Sweet, yet another hole.

So now its 0 vs O.

Mad Max
01-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Sweet, yet another hole.

There was one there during his entire tenure as starting Bills safety.

justasportsfan
01-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Tight ends that will play the bills hope Whitner will return.

As you can see on BB.com, POz is still there answering questions and doesn't seem to be sulking that he doesn't have a contract.

trapezeus
01-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Perhaps our defense has a girl-ish quality because our "elite" player is about as emotionally stable as a 14 year old girl.

I feel bad that he didn't get the contract he felt was fair, but honestly, your team went 4-12, you got thrashed by two teams that make most people feel like that improvement in the middle of the year was a smokescreen, and you go clean out your locker and tell no one about it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy is sitting at home watching the twilight movies on blue ray.

X-Era
01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
One thing I will say is between him running his mouth with huge playoff claims, Twitter, and now exiting early, I'm not sure I like what he brings as far as leadership.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2011, 05:00 PM
another bust....

NOT THE DUDE...
01-03-2011, 05:01 PM
i swear to god if we take a db with our first pick i will puke...

Philagape
01-03-2011, 05:03 PM
What I'm sad to see go out the door is yet another wasted high first-round pick. He was the first step in the Levy/Jauron regime's destruction of this franchise.

As for the player himself, meh, replaceable.

better days
01-03-2011, 05:10 PM
First reaction is that I feel bad for the guy. Been on such a mismanaged team for his whole career, probably still pretty emotional after getting trashed again yesterday, if he wanted to make a quiet and quick exit today, so what?

I can't feel too bad for him, he made a lot more money than he was worth.

Novacane
01-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Poor Donte. Did not get his way so he's taking his ball and going home. Good freaking riddence!!! I look forward to next year finding out who's right. Those of us who say no big deal to lose him or those who think he's above average and losing him creates another hole.

k-oneputt
01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Poor Donte. Did not get his way so he's taking his ball and going home. Good freaking riddence!!! I look forward to next year finding out who's right. Those of us who say no big deal to lose him or those who think he's above average and losing him creates another hole.

I already know who's right. You won't even be able to tell he's not there because he rarely makes a big play. Actuallly we may be able to cover a t-end sometimes. He was decent but easily replacable imo.

Novacane
01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I already know who's right. You won't even be able to tell he's not there because he rarely makes a big play. Actuallly we may be able to cover a t-end sometimes. He was decent but easily replacable imo.

I agree with you 100%. Perhaps I should have said I can't wait to say I told you so to all the posters who think losing him creates a hole. I was trying to be nice :D

Night Train
01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I like Whitner but he's not worth what he thinks he is in FA.

I wish him the best.

BertSquirtgum
01-03-2011, 06:33 PM
whitner is so ****ing clueless. does he think he is the g.o.a.t? i think he is average at best. if he is going to be a ***** i say good riddance.

ServoBillieves
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Good in the run game, thrown all over in the passing game.

Sounds like a decent ILB.

Later Whitless.

TacklingDummy
01-03-2011, 10:34 PM
How has most former drafted Bills done with their new teams? Losman, Lynch, Edwards, Simpson, J. Reed, etc...

OpIv37
01-03-2011, 10:40 PM
To be fair, the fans haven't treated him that well either, feelings were mutual on both sides.

Move on, hope he does better somewhere else. Don't want to wish ill on anyone.
He got arrested twice, promised playoffs before the start of the season, was constantly running his mouth on Twitter and was never more than average on the field.

It's mostly his own fault that the fans didnt treat him well.

Good riddance.

OpIv37
01-03-2011, 10:45 PM
How has most former drafted Bills done with their new teams? Losman, Lynch, Edwards, Simpson, J. Reed, etc...
Jabari Greer, Fletcher, Jim Leonard, Pat Williams, Antwoine Winfield... Hell even Justin Bannan had a decent year for the Broncos.

Not that this is an excuse- I can't wait to see Whitner go, and I really don't care if he does well elsewhere because he has been mediocre here. But lots of ex-Bills have done just fine for themselves.

BillsWin
01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
He wants elite safety money. He's not an elite safety. We can do worse at the position, but we can also do better. It's just part of the business. If in fact he is no longer on the roster next season then I wish him luck.

I second this entire post.

streetkings01
01-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Jabari Greer, Fletcher, Jim Leonard, Pat Williams, Antwoine Winfield... Hell even Justin Bannan had a decent year for the Broncos.

Not that this is an excuse- I can't wait to see Whitner go, and I really don't care if he does well elsewhere because he has been mediocre here. But lots of ex-Bills have done just fine for themselves.Those guys weren't drafted by the Bills.

Crisis
01-04-2011, 08:01 AM
greer and leonard were undrafted FAs which is close enough to being drafted by the bills

it's pretty sad that our undrafted players end up being better than our 1st rounders.

jamze132
01-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Sweet, yet another hole.
Are you serious? SS has been a liability ever since he's been here. So what if the guy can throw is shoulder to a guy 10 yrds downfield?

RockStar36
01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Are you serious? SS has been a liability ever since he's been here. So what if the guy can throw is shoulder to a guy 10 yrds downfield?

Truth.

Whitner leaving isn't creating another hole. That hole already exists on the team with Whitner here.

hydro
01-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Finally!!!!!! No more Whitner for Op to get all hot and bothered about.

The King
01-04-2011, 08:25 AM

Not that this is an excuse- I can't wait to see Whitner go, and I really don't care if he does well elsewhere because he has been mediocre here. But lots of ex-Bills have done just fine for themselves.
even CJ Ah You

Historian
01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Sayonara Numbnuts!

ChristopherWalken
01-04-2011, 09:46 AM
There were also reports that he jumped on a stale pile of laundry on his way out the locker room door...back first.

streetkings01
01-04-2011, 09:54 AM
greer and leonard were undrafted FAs which is close enough to being drafted by the bills

it's pretty sad that our undrafted players end up being better than our 1st rounders.Not even close.......undrafted rookie FAs get to choose the teams they want to play for not the other way around.

Bulldog
01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I'll certainly miss his ferocious hits in the endzone. He was nasty when he tackled players after they already scored.

Cleve
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Here's the nightmare scenario - Whitner goes to another team and succeeds at safety. :(

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM
I hope someone pays Whitner what he wants, at least he can get us a supplemental draft pick.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-04-2011, 01:18 PM
losing whitner would get us a 3rd right? obviously if we dont sign another fa s

better days
01-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Not even close.......undrafted rookie FAs get to choose the teams they want to play for not the other way around.

That makes it even more impressive that the Bills got them.

k-oneputt
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Their undrafted free agents have been better then their 1st rd. picks the last decade.

k-oneputt
01-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Greer vs. McKelvin
Jackson vs. McGahee
Peters vs. Williams
Leonhard vs. Whitner
Nelson vs. Evans ok we'll give that one to Evans.
anyone dl vs. McCargo/Flowers
anyone lb vs. Maybin

BillsFever21
01-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Looks like his mind is mostly made up lol

Dr. Pepper
01-04-2011, 05:05 PM
is still stunned that this clown wanted top 5 safety money... he was a middle of the pack safety who deserved mid range money. he had a lot of tackles because TEs were always catching balls on him and running backs were always breaking through our front lines.

Mad Max
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Here's the nightmare scenario - Whitner goes to another team and succeeds at safety. :(

There's a bigger chance of the moon being knocked out of it's orbit by a Manhattan sized asteroid and crashing into the earth than of his play elsewhere making us regret his departure.

Cleve
01-04-2011, 09:19 PM
There's a bigger chance of the moon being knocked out of it's orbit by a Manhattan sized asteroid and crashing into the earth than of his play elsewhere making us regret his departure.

haha, you're right. It's probably even less likely that Whitner will become an asset to a team than Trent Edwards.

Turf
01-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Chalk up another one for Marv. Yikes. Marv may be worse than Stew Barber.

Cleve
01-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Very true.

Levy absolutely sucked donkey balls as a GM - he 's the one that rammed Jauron down our throats. And he has YET to publicly admit that hiring Jauron was a mistake - even after 3 1/2 seasons of Jauron ineptness and futility, he still thought that Jauron needed "more time". And he still spouted that ridiculous line "Well, I had a losing record when I started with the Bills... hahahahahaha!"

And then we all saw how many other teams were anxious to hire him for a HC, OC or DC position once the Bills finally cut him loose (answer -ZERO!).

Ridiculous. This team has still not recovered from Levy's mis-management.

Spiderweb
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
I like Whitner but he's not worth what he thinks he is in FA.

I wish him the best.

As noted numerous times, he's been decent at best. He's surely not elite and doesn't warrant the "elite" money he seeks. Where he got it into his head that he's top shelf, only one can imagine.

That said, his infantile obsession with Tweeter and his likewise tweets won't be missed.

justasportsfan
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Whitner is stupid for thinking he's worth elite money. Give him average money based on his average play and then add incentives. He was already overpaid by being reached in the draft. He should give us a discount.

Bravo82
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Looks like I should pick a new avatar now :ill:

better days
01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Whitner is stupid for thinking he's worth elite money. Give him average money based on his average play and then add incentives. He was already overpaid by being reached in the draft. He should give us a discount.

After cleaning out his locker like he did,he will have to swallow his pride to come back. When he sees no other team will overpay for him maybe he will.

If some team is stupid enough to overpay him, at least the Bills will get a comp pick.