PDA

View Full Version : Gailey talks about Evans future with the team

X-Era
01-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Doesn't rule out moving him but seems to say it's unlikely.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/03/evans-future/

John Doe
01-03-2011, 05:58 PM

“The disadvantage is nobody’s going to have any great stats because the ball’s going to be spread around. That’s what happened. They go over and double cover Lee the first half of the season so the other side gets all the catches. That’s kind of what happened. I don’t know how it’s going to work out next year. I just know it’s a much better position we’re walking into this year than we were walking into last year ona lot of spots on the offensive side of the ball.”

An interesting quote from Gailey about the wide reciever situation.

He has no qualms about Evans' lack of high production because defenses are double teaming him. Their philosphy is to spread the ball around to the players that are open.

X-Era
01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
An interesting quote from Gailey about the wide reciever situation.

He has no qualms about Evans' lack of high production because defenses are double teaming him. Their philosphy is to spread the ball around to the players that are open.And it worked. The question is if a) Stevie can advance to the #1 guy and b) can someone then advance to #2? I think both can happen fairly easily.

djjimkelly
01-03-2011, 06:15 PM
evans is definitely not a problem on this team

dont know why this is even an issue

X-Era
01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
evans is definitely not a problem on this team

dont know why this is even an issueThe thought is to trade from a position of strength to add a pick or player to fill another position.

But yes, I have no issue with keeping him.

k-oneputt
01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I like that quote about the wr's. Sounds like no chance of stupity at #3 by taking Green.

Mad Max
01-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Lee Evans is no Eric Moulds. I would trade him in a heartbeat if we could find a suitor. We're rebuilding anyway, when we're ready he'll be done.

BTW, think about how many studly WRs there were on the last few Super Bowl winners. The WR position is now the same as the running back position, >A< stud really isn't needed, a few really good players are exactly what's needed.

Wes Welker? Julian Edelman? Hines Ward? I can't even name a WR on New Orleans. Common thread, none of them is a superstar.

We still need a burner, but we can find one of those via the Draft/FA...or we may already have him in Marcus Easley.

Oops, I think I sort of went on an anti AJ Green tangent.

Night Train
01-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Gailey shouldn't rule out moving ANYONE.

better days
01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Lee Evans is no Eric Moulds. I would trade him in a heartbeat if we could find a suitor. We're rebuilding anyway, when we're ready he'll be done.

BTW, think about how many studly WRs there were on the last few Super Bowl winners. The WR position is now the same as the running back position, >A< stud really isn't needed, a few really good players are exactly what's needed.

Wes Welker? Julian Edelman? Hines Ward? I can't even name a WR on New Orleans. Common thread, none of them is a superstar.

We still need a burner, but we can find one of those via the Draft/FA...or we may already have him in Marcus Easley.

Oops, I think I sort of went on an anti AJ Green tangent.

Well, move him for what? A 4th rnd pick? I doubt the Bills could get value for him & Evans has more value to the team than anything they could get in trade. And he will be cheap to keep the next 2 years as well.

justasportsfan
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Gailey shouldn't rule out moving ANYONE.

except for Fitz unless we can trade him to the jags for Trent Edwards :scratch:

better days
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM

Mods look into this HHURRICANE has hijacked justas account.

Night Train
01-03-2011, 07:11 PM

I wouldn't trade Fitzys beard stubble for Trentative.

Mad Max
01-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Well, move him for what? A 4th rnd pick? I doubt the Bills could get value for him & Evans has more value to the team than anything they could get in trade. And he will be cheap to keep the next 2 years as well.

For the most we can get for him, if that's a fourth rounder so be it.

He's almost 30 and is no game breaker, so I'd take my chances with the WR by committee approach of the Patriots as I mentioned before.

Philagape
01-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Unless he can be part of a package to the Panthers for No. 1, although I doubt that.

better days
01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
For the most we can get for him, if that's a fourth rounder so be it.

He's almost 30 and is no game breaker, so I'd take my chances with the WR by committee approach of the Patriots as I mentioned before.

I get what you are saying but I would pass on a 4th myself. Evans brings something to the table, the fact other teams consistently double cover him. If they keep him this year, the Bills could probably get a 4th next year if they want.

acehole
01-04-2011, 07:15 AM

I got tomatoes thrown at me for saying about the same thing.
I was called dumb by hurkeynuts of all people.

This is a very good possibility.

I like lee but would love something good for him as by the time the other pieces are in place he will be past his prime anyway.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 07:19 AM
I got tomatoes thrown at me for saying about the same thing.
I was called dumb by hurkeynuts of all people.

This is a very good possibility.

I like lee but would love something good for him as by the time the other pieces are in place he will be past his prime anyway.It's absolutely possible to make a move from a position of strength to add to a position of weakness or even to add a pick to improve in another area. The focus should be in building a well rounded, solid team. Because of our depth and the emergence of Steve Johnson, Evans is expendable.

I have no issue in keeping him but I wouldn't mind the extra pick or a player at an other position.

Also, this may be best for Evans himself, he isn't getting younger and may want to go to a team with a chance to compete for the playoffs or SB. I wouldn't blame him after being stuck on this non-playoff team for so long. However, he also resigned with us so he may really like it B-lo.

dannyek71
01-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Johnson seems to be a good #1 possession guy. Lee is a good #2 deep threat reviver.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2011, 07:47 AM
We're all pissed, we're sick of losing, we hate almost every player on the team, etc. ad finitum, ad nauseum. But I think the way to rebuild is NOT to get rid of every solid, veteran player we have, and replace them with who knows what? I say build around players like Evans, Whitner and Poz - even though they are not the Pro Bowl superstars we all expected - with young, and hopefully better, players.

I think we will never be done rebuilding if everytime we bring in new talent, we create several new holes by dumping the useful players that make up almost every successful team.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 07:56 AM
We're all pissed, we're sick of losing, we hate almost every player on the team, etc. ad finitum, ad nauseum. But I think the way to rebuild is NOT to get rid of every solid, veteran player we have, and replace them with who knows what? I say build around players like Evans, Whitner and Poz - even though they are not the Pro Bowl superstars we all expected - with young, and hopefully better, players.

I think we will never be done rebuilding if everytime we bring in new talent, we create several new holes by dumping the useful players that make up almost every successful team.I agree with this take. I'm a bit torn on the situation. I simply feel we have enough quality receivers who have shown enough this year in our spread passing O, to be able to sacrifice him. I don't think it would create a hole like losing Poz or Whitner would. I agree, I don't want new holes. And I also agree that keeping these guys makes us better if for nothing more than depth. Let's not forget that this is a team that has IR'd a ton of players the last 2 years. I also would love to have him back, I think he is a underrated receiver. I wouldn;t mind having him back either.

I simply see it as an opportunity to move from a position of strength to get better in another area. I mean, if Evans was part of a package that moves us up for Luck, were potentially talking about finally adding our franchise QB at the expense of a potentially expendable player.

If Evans could net us a late 3rd, we could potentially trade our 1st, 2nd and Evans (the extra 3rd) for Luck. Moss brought a 3rd but also hasn't been the same this year and has questionable character issues cropping up again. A 4th is much more likely and our 1st, 2nd, and the 4th for Evans may not be enough to move up for Luck... but it may be closer than many think.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2011, 08:16 AM
I just find it strange that so many posters feel we are so deep and strong at WR that we can just dump Evans. We have one other guy - Stevie Johnson - who has had ONE successful season, and one other veteran, Roscoe Parrish, who may be getting better under Gailey.

The rest are rookie UDFAs with potential, and a 4th round pick who has never seen the field. And Johnson's hands, to me, are somewhat suspect.

It would be extremely premature to let Evans go.

psubills62
01-04-2011, 08:25 AM

That's been the Bills' problem this whole time, though. They draft the wrong guys, they re-sign the wrong guys, they build around the wrong guys. Putting ~7 million per year into Whitner will simply reward the mediocrity that was already rewarded with Kelsay's contract.

Those aren't the kind of players you build around. They're guys who are good enough to be supplemental players to your core, but they are not core players. That's our problem - we need core guys to build around, and re-signing veterans who we know are not getting the job done is not going to help that.

Jan Reimers
01-04-2011, 08:42 AM
That's been the Bills' problem this whole time, though. They draft the wrong guys, they re-sign the wrong guys, they build around the wrong guys. Putting ~7 million per year into Whitner will simply reward the mediocrity that was already rewarded with Kelsay's contract.

Those aren't the kind of players you build around. They're guys who are good enough to be supplemental players to your core, but they are not core players. That's our problem - we need core guys to build around, and re-signing veterans who we know are not getting the job done is not going to help that.
I probably shouldn't have said "build around" the veterans I mentioned, and I should have put in a caveat about not overpaying them. What I would like is to keep our decent veterans, add talent, and let guys like Evans, Whitner and Poz be the kind of solid support guys that every team needs - not to have to count on them as big time stars.

But even though I probably see them as better players than you do, I wouldn't pay them elite money to stay around (not an issue at this point with Evans).

Beebe's Kid
01-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Johnson seems to be a good #1 possession guy. Lee is a good #2 deep threat reviver.Johnson is "a good #1 possession guy?"

I like SJ, hell I even have a jersey, but listen... this guy is not a #1 possession receiver. He drops a ton of balls. Way too many. On a 4-12 team he is a superstar, but if we are ever going to be good, he needs to drastically improve.

I am not saying that he can't, I am sure he will be working on that very hard, and I hope he improves. I am as big of a homer as anybody, and I enjoyed watching Stevie get some crooked numbers, but we need to expect more if we ever expect more...if you know what I mean.

Lee...after what I said about SJ, dropped more balls this year than I can recall for his career to date. He was not good. It was not about double teams or about not enough passes, or anything else. He dropped balls, and I feel he didn't finish routes, or get to some he should have.

Good news?? We were the only ones watching the Bills, around the league, Lee is "still waiting for somebody to get the ball to him," "being wasted in Buffalo," "a great player on a bad team," etc. He also is very cheap, as his contract begins to wind down. A team that trades for him gets the underappreciated, underutilized, superstar that never was, at a cheap price with a few years left on his deal... That is worth more than a 4th.

I am with Jan on not subtracting talent, I know X has been tooting this horn, too, but hey man, if the price is right, pull the trigger. The mistake would be to sit on your hands and wait for all of the "feel good kids" to turn into Larry Fitzgerald...we need some more talent at WR, especially if we move Lee.

trapezeus
01-04-2011, 09:03 AM
dumping evans is a bad idea. Trading evans may not be a bad idea. Especially for the luck or bust crowd. Pick up an extra couple picks so that when you move up in the draft, you still have selections in the fourth round. and you have selections to help your defense.

I'm not against it. But i think moving him this year will probably yield less than what we perceive his worth to be. He's a good receiver with ****ty stats. A buyer will price him on his stats, while the bills and their fans will price him on his potential. It'll be hard to find a suitor unless synder fell in love with him and trades away their entire draft because that's what he does for name players that don't produce.