PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh came off as a jerk

trapezeus
01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Did anyone else think Harbaugh came off as an entitled ***** after the game?

He hardly gave the espn reporter and interview. He just said, "talk to andrew and this guy" and he walked away. Then during the award ceremony he practically yelled at the guy for asking the question, "now what?"

Those aren't really invasive questions nor are they unexpected. warning signs of a douchebag who may let his ego get the best of him and become a new shanahan. And I mean that in the derogatory 2010 manner, not the promotional, almost godlike 1998 manner.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Who cares. Reporters are annoying

trapezeus
01-04-2011, 08:57 AM
it's called having class. If you can't be a decent person when you win, what kind of ***** and awful person are you going to be to your team and coaches when you lose.

If i was a GM, that would have opened my eyes and maybe added more questions to ask in the interview.

hydro
01-04-2011, 08:59 AM
I see it in a totally different way. He was under the radar until this season and just isn't used to the constant talk about where he is going. It has to be pretty annoying to win a game but have the reports not even care and just constantly hound him about where he is coaching next. He didn't come off as a jerk at all to me.

SquishDaFish
01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
I see it in a totally different way. He was under the radar until this season and just isn't used to the constant talk about where he is going. It has to be pretty annoying to win a game but have the reports not even care and just constantly hound him about where he is coaching next. He didn't come off as a jerk at all to me.

Exactly Hydro I saw it that way also plus when he said talk to Luck he was trying to put the spotlight where it should of been all along on the PLAYERS

RockStar36
01-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Regardless of what happened last night (I didn't see it), Harbaugh is a jerk. Don't you guys remember his playing days?

trapezeus
01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Exactly Hydro I saw it that way also plus when he said talk to Luck he was trying to put the spotlight where it should of been all along on the PLAYERS

it was in his delivery. he wasn't gracious about it all. he just threw the reporter off and walked away. It was bizarre.

Reporters can be annoying, but the station just helped paid your contract. They ask that you give out a 2 second bit. You respond with something generic and shake hands and move on.

To t he guy at the award presentation he literally said, "I told you to respect the game." What the hell? is he a parent. And frankly, i hate the "respect the game" statement. What does that even mean? Respect the game means don't ask any questions about it? Ok, got it.

Harbaugh turned their program around quickly and impressively. But he also did it with a QB that many say will be a household name for the next 10 years.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Regardless of what happened last night (I didn't see it), Harbaugh is a jerk. Don't you guys remember his playing days?

I was going to say have none of you guys ever seen Harbaugh coach, play, or talk?

He's an ass, but he's also damn good as a coach. Nobody and I mean nobody is going to get Harbaugh to say anything that Harbaugh doesnt want to say. Its his personality.

An if anybody was shocked that Stanford was still throwing last night late despite being up multiple scores just re-watch a few Stanford games to see how Harbaugh coaches. He subscribes to the Beat'em Down theory.

Forward_Lateral
01-04-2011, 09:14 AM
He's a dick, but I think he's right in this case. His team just won the Orange bowl, and some ass reporter is asking him about leaving? Let the team enjoy it's win, and Harbaugh didn't want anyone to take the focus off of the win. I agree with him in this case, but he was a bit harsh with his way of deflecting the question.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-04-2011, 09:16 AM
He can coach my team and be the same dick anyday

Jimbuktu
01-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Didn't Jim Kelly punch him out once? Or was it the other way around? I believe Kelly called him out for being a sissy and playing up his injuries.

Pinkerton Security
01-04-2011, 09:20 AM
the way I took the "talk to andrew" comment was him actually being quite selfless...he didnt want the reporters all talking to him about his job status, he wanted Luck and his teammates to get their well deserved moment in the sun.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
He probably is a dick. Pretty sure Miss Manners wouldn't make it as a football coach. It's nice when you have a coach who can control the press without being seen as a total douchbag but it's not essential.

Historian
01-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Harbough IS a jerk.

Next topic?

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Belichik is a dickhead too.

I wish he was our dickhead

Beebe's Kid
01-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Harbough IS a jerk.

Next topic?

...and a sissy.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I have always heard of him being a jerk. He can coach a football team though.

Ingtar33
01-04-2011, 12:27 PM

yes... he IS a classless jerk. always has been.

of course the same could be said about the ******* in NE too.

You don't have to be a good guy to be an outstanding football coach.

trapezeus
01-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Ok, i get the sentiment in this thread about no correlation between good guy and good coach. I just think the belichik's of the world are a rarity. more cases than not, the ******* will get under everyone's skin.

And yeah, i never really saw any interviews with harbaugh as a coach. i remember when he was with the cardiac colts. i liked him. i didn't know jimbo knocked on him for being a showman about injuries. nevertheless, all i'm saying is that luck came off like a real likeable guy who is good at what he does and doesn't need to make anyone's life more difficult. Harbaugh just thought he was the coolest guy on the planet.

I really was impressed by luck in the game and after game. he was asked the same question on TV (which means he probably has heard the question a million times) with a few minutes of each other and he had a calm rationale answer. And he still just looked thrilled ot be part of that moment.

Bill Cody
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Ok, i get the sentiment in this thread about no correlation between good guy and good coach. I just think the belichik's of the world are a rarity. more cases than not, the ******* will get under everyone's skin.

And yeah, i never really saw any interviews with harbaugh as a coach. i remember when he was with the cardiac colts. i liked him. i didn't know jimbo knocked on him for being a showman about injuries. nevertheless, all i'm saying is that luck came off like a real likeable guy who is good at what he does and doesn't need to make anyone's life more difficult. Harbaugh just thought he was the coolest guy on the planet.

I really was impressed by luck in the game and after game. he was asked the same question on TV (which means he probably has heard the question a million times) with a few minutes of each other and he had a calm rationale answer. And he still just looked thrilled ot be part of that moment.

As to Harbough: He doesn't appear to have gotten under his players skins has he? How a coach is perceived by the players is all that really matters.

As to Luck: agree completely

Mad Max
01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
it was in his delivery. he wasn't gracious about it all. he just threw the reporter off and walked away. It was bizarre.

Reporters can be annoying, but the station just helped paid your contract. They ask that you give out a 2 second bit. You respond with something generic and shake hands and move on.

To t he guy at the award presentation he literally said, "I told you to respect the game." What the hell? is he a parent. And frankly, i hate the "respect the game" statement. What does that even mean? Respect the game means don't ask any questions about it? Ok, got it.

Harbaugh turned their program around quickly and impressively. But he also did it with a QB that many say will be a household name for the next 10 years.
Oh Harbs is definately a deluxe cherry scented douche, but he wasn't wrong in his responses to the reporters last night. He KNOWS that he's about to bounce, we KNOW he's about to bounce, he just did not want that topic to overshadow or completely take away from the players glory of the night (most of which will never sniff NFL glory).

BTW as much as it pains me to say this, not only did he not say anything out of line, he actually said/did something very classy. It happened when the VA Tech QB made that amazing pirouette play for a TD while in front of Harbs on the sideline, the kid asked harbs of all people "was I inbounds"? And Harbs to his credit said to him "you were inbounds"...a lot of coaches would have ignored him, or outright lied.

stuckincincy
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Who cares. Reporters are annoying

That's right. They will gleefully go and ruin your life to polish their own financial and status knob.

Never talk to the press. They misquote, or quote things out of context for their short sound bite.

I'm on the side of these players that won't give them the time of the day.

Dr. Pepper
01-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Did anyone else think Harbaugh came off as an entitled ***** after the game?

He hardly gave the espn reporter and interview. He just said, "talk to andrew and this guy" and he walked away. Then during the award ceremony he practically yelled at the guy for asking the question, "now what?"

Those aren't really invasive questions nor are they unexpected. warning signs of a douchebag who may let his ego get the best of him and become a new shanahan. And I mean that in the derogatory 2010 manner, not the promotional, almost godlike 1998 manner.

i thought the exact opposite. he didnt want to ruin the moment for his players by having some dumb bi*ch from espn babbling on about harbough leaving the program. IMO he showed that hes all class, hes in it for the right reasons, the kids.

Bert102176
01-04-2011, 08:24 PM
he just wanted the focus on the kids that played the game I agree totally with how he responded.

baalworship
01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
He better be good at X's and O's because his people skills look poor. He will get killed in the NFL by the media if he treats every question like an insult.