PDA

View Full Version : Elway in Denver

psubills62
01-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Is anyone else intrigued by the prospect of Elway playing a big part in Denver's football operations?

With Levy seeming to have failed utterly as a GM after being a beloved coach, I'm very curious to see how Elway's foray into an NFL front office goes. I have little doubt Jim Kelly will also be watching, as he seems to always be hanging around in the background when it comes to the Bills.

Historian
01-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Can you say....General Manager Marino?

:roflmao:

trapezeus
01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
THe elway move is going to be a failure. I have a sense that he's going to do the big things that gets the fans excited. but he's not going to be hands on enough to be able to work all the moving pieces.

Beebe's Kid
01-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Elway has done pretty well in his business ventures, and he is definitely a smart football guy. It could work out well for Denver.

The difference between Elway and Marino is that Elway isn't a ****ing moron. GM Marino...that's rich...I just peed a little.

I also didn't think Jim was "hanging around." I thought he was employed by the Bills?

RockStar36
01-04-2011, 09:56 AM
From the outside, this seems like a Levy as the GM situation where the Denver ownership is trying to salvage fan support and ticket sales after the McDaniels era, which couldn't have gone any worse.

The King
01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Elway has run an arena team for a while, maybe that will help.

psubills62
01-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I also didn't think Jim was "hanging around." I thought he was employed by the Bills?

I'm not sure. I never hear that he's directly involved in their day-to-day processes, I just read that he talked to Ralph about this or that.

HAMMER
01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Marino is dumber than John Dellapelle.

psubills62
01-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Broncos named Hall of Famer John Elway Executive Vice President of Football Operations, as expected.

Elway will answer to Joe Ellis, who has been promoted to team president with "ultimate responsibility." Elway will, however, oversee the head coach and GM Brian Xanders. His first order of business will be to lead the head coaching search. Matt Millen, the only recent example of a former player with no personnel experience getting a similar position, told the Denver Post he hopes Elway fares better. "Because I stunk at it," Millen admitted.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Marino is dumber than John Dellapelle.

I must be dumb too, who is John Dellapelle?

psubills62
01-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I must be dumb too, who is John Dellapelle?

For your viewing pleasure:

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=199398

psubills62
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Not starting out great:

New Broncos VP of Football Operations John Elway referred to head coaching candidate Mike Mularkey as "Mark Mularkey" multiple times in Elway's introductory press conference Wednesday.

It won't throw water on skepticism about Elway's credentials, and nor will Elway's admission that he hasn't paid close attention to NFL personnel in recent years. Elway is at the forefront of the Broncos' head-coaching search. Hopefully, he learns Mularkey's first name before Friday's interview.