PDA

View Full Version : CFL Star to workout with the team

northernbillfan
01-04-2011, 11:16 AM
The star receiver from the Saskatchewan Rough Riders is going to work out with the team this week.

Andy Fantuz is checking out a few NFL teams and Buffalo is a stop of his. This guy is a legitimate receiver and not another CFL cast off. He's already made stops in Minny, Pittsburgh and NE.

I hope the team has a chance of securing him.

Link (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Andy-Fantuz-to-work-out-for-Bills-Bengals.html)

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Good size at 6'4, 220ish.

Based on limited videos Ive watched on him (Youtube mostly) I think he'll struggle with seperation issues. Has good hands though, will go after balls in the air but not a big leaper. He does use his body well.

Wonder if he'd be open to putting on 20-30 pounds playing hybrid TE?

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Montreal Gazette Opinion Piece on why he may not opt for NFL;
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Fantuz+plans+could+still+south/3977270/story.html

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Interesting guys throws his own videos up on Youtube to comment to fans;

On NFL Tryout Rumors;
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H1Izlqg5evo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H1Izlqg5evo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

On his workout with Pittsburgh;
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/42xupRXXh2s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/42xupRXXh2s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 11:27 AM
His Vikings tryout;
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KL9STz9eRwc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KL9STz9eRwc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Guess we can expect one from him after the Bills workout as well. He's also on Twitter for those that follow athletes @andyfantuz

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
No harm in looking for talent, but it seems odd that we are looking at WR's when we have so many bigger needs.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
No harm in looking for talent, but it seems odd that we are looking at WR's when we have so many bigger needs.

We aren't set at WR by any means. Especially with WR's that have size.

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBLgUZ9v0K0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBLgUZ9v0K0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

hydro
01-04-2011, 11:50 AM

There isn't a limit on how many players can be worked out. This isn't hindering us from looking at other players. So what is the problem again?

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
So what is the problem again?

Whitner is gone and OP is already missing him especially if he never comes back.

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
There isn't a limit on how many players can be worked out. This isn't hindering us from looking at other players. So what is the problem again?
This argument will hold water if we start looking at players in positions where we have a greater need. The fact that we technically can do it is irrelevant unless we actually do it.

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
This argument will hold water if we start looking at players in positions where we have a greater need. The fact that we technically can do it is irrelevant unless we actually do it.

With Whitner gone, we'll need a DB. We should bring Whitner back for a workout.

Jaybird
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
I watch the CFL, and have seen him play a ton. Good WR but noit even the best in the cfl and won;t make the team

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
We aren't set at WR by any means. Especially with WR's that have size.
I dont disagree, but we have players at WR who are at least serviceable. I can't say the same thing about LB or TE, the DL could use upgrades, the OL could use upgrades- it just seems odd that two days after the season ends, we are jumping on a WR but not showing the same sense of urgency for positions of greater need.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 12:03 PM
I dont disagree, but we have players at WR who are at least serviceable. I can't say the same thing about LB or TE, the DL could use upgrades, the OL could use upgrades- it just seems odd that two days after the season ends, we are jumping on a WR but not showing the same sense of urgency for positions of greater need.

Since when did you suddenly become ok with serviceable?

You dont just bring in every tom dick and harry because they can maybe play. You bring in guys who have a legitimate skill set regardless of position.

Saratoga Slim
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Really? Are you serious?

Have you seen the parade of OL and DL prospects that we've been looking at and in some cases signed over the past months?

If there is anyone, at ANY position out there that might improve our team, we should be looking at them. Period.

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Just because it was mentioned that we worked a wr out doesn't mean we aren't looking at other players in other positions.

You mentioned OL and yet how many players have we brought this year to try and improve the OL?

Beebe's Kid
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM

You dont just bring in every tom dick and harry because they can maybe play. You bring in guys who have a legitimate skill set regardless of position.

Exactly. I think it is hilarious that you are having this talk with Op...

We are not set at receiver? If you think we are, get Fitzy or Chan wasted and ask them. Chan and Fitzy made our receivers look really good this year, and they took all of the **** on botched plays because they receivers were overachieving, and weren't held responsible.

Can this guy catch? Let's do it. Nobody is safe, we upgrade anywhere you can.

Op, I know you are looking for 17 defensive players to replace the group that was here, but there were no defensive players available for today"s workout, so we'll have to look at WR, even with the surplus of talent we have there.

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM

I'm not ok with serviceable, but it's called pragmatism. Only so much can be done in one off-season, so hit the biggest needs first. Find guys with skill sets in our positions of need and get then in here ASAP.

I really can't believe anyone would object to that.

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Just because it was mentioned that we worked a wr out doesn't mean we aren't looking at other players in other positions.

You mentioned OL and yet how many players have we brought this year to try and improve the OL?
So we mention the WR but not the other positions where we are looking at guys? That makes no sense.

We didn't bring in guys to try to improve the OL. We brought guys in cuz we had injuries and were desperate.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm not ok with serviceable, but it's called pragmatism. Only so much can be done in one off-season, so hit the biggest needs first. Find guys with skill sets in our positions of need and get then in here ASAP.

You act like these guys with skill sets are magically available.

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
You act like these guys with skill sets are magically available.
You act like they are not. Apparently the only available players right now are WR's? Sorry, not buying it.

psubills62
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
We're in no way set at WR. We have a huge, gaping need for a #1 WR. While the chances of this guy becoming a #1 WR in the NFL are slim to none, just look at Cameron Wake, who had 14 sacks this year and nearly had the sack title. It never hurts to look to see if someone can upgrade a position. And despite the protests of many, WR can certainly use an upgrade.

Saratoga Slim
01-04-2011, 12:57 PM
You act like they are not. Apparently the only available players right now are WR's? Sorry, not buying it.

Nobody is arguing that we shouldn't address our positions of need first.

What we're arguing is that there really are only so many prospects out there RIGHT NOW that are unsigned free agents that might possibly help the team.

If Buddy and/or someone on his scouting staff give this CFL WR an hour or two of their time to run him through a workout, that doesn't necessarily preclude them from ALSO looking at other prospects.

Even if they signed this guy, he's not going to cost much. Even if he's the Larry Fitzgerald of the CFL....it's the CFL. Signing him isn't going to tie up a lot of money.

What am I missing? I'm fairly puzzled that we're even debating this.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Kind of reminds me of Brandon Stokley.

northernbillfan
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
He has his own cereal:

http://www.x929.ca/shows/newsboy/wp-content/uploads/FantuzFlakesCereal-22258.jpg

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Nobody is arguing that we shouldn't address our positions of need first.

What we're arguing is that there really are only so many prospects out there RIGHT NOW that are unsigned free agents that might possibly help the team.

If Buddy and/or someone on his scouting staff give this CFL WR an hour or two of their time to run him through a workout, that doesn't necessarily preclude them from ALSO looking at other prospects.

Even if they signed this guy, he's not going to cost much. Even if he's the Larry Fitzgerald of the CFL....it's the CFL. Signing him isn't going to tie up a lot of money.

What am I missing? I'm fairly puzzled that we're even debating this.
All I said is that I find it odd that we are already looking at WR's but not the other positions of need. I understand that looking at WR's does not preclude him from looking at other positions, which is why I'm wondering why he's not.

This roster is a mess, partially because Nix accomplished nothing last off-season. I'd really like to see him get a jump on doing something this off-season.

psubills62
01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
All I said is that I find it odd that we are already looking at WR's but not the other positions of need. I understand that looking at WR's does not preclude him from looking at other positions, which is why I'm wondering why he's not.

This roster is a mess, partially because Nix accomplished nothing last off-season. I'd really like to see him get a jump on doing something this off-season.

Who says they aren't looking at other positions of need? They might just not see anyone out there worth bringing in. Or they've brought people in, it just wasn't reported in any form of media.

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Who says they aren't looking at other positions of need? They might just not see anyone out there worth bringing in. Or they've brought people in, it just wasn't reported in any form of media.
Like I said to justa: If they brought other people in, why would it not be reported when this one is? That's just illogical.

psubills62
01-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Like I said to justa: If they brought other people in, why would it not be reported when this one is? That's just illogical.

There could be a lot of reasons. This is from a league source, not a Buffalo source. Since the kid's worked out for other teams, the "league source" could easily have heard it from someone working for one of the other teams that he was headed to Buffalo at some point.

I don't remember any particular names, but there have been several times during this season that I remember seeing a report that "Player X" worked out for Buffalo a few weeks prior, yet we never heard about it at the time.

I just don't think workouts like these are anything to get upset about. The way they're going to improve the team consistently is through the draft and free agency, not by finding a gem among the lower-league junk. This is more of a "if they find someone, no matter the position, then it's a positive" situation, in my mind.

Mad Max
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
http://media.nj.com/photogallery/photo/4372532966ca3caf2f8e579f3285341e.jpg

Mad Max
01-04-2011, 02:21 PM

We are 4-12, we need to look at whatever comes our way. We could use improvement at every position.

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 02:22 PM
There could be a lot of reasons. This is from a league source, not a Buffalo source. Since the kid's worked out for other teams, the "league source" could easily have heard it from someone working for one of the other teams that he was headed to Buffalo at some point.

I don't remember any particular names, but there have been several times during this season that I remember seeing a report that "Player X" worked out for Buffalo a few weeks prior, yet we never heard about it at the time.

I just don't think workouts like these are anything to get upset about. The way they're going to improve the team consistently is through the draft and free agency, not by finding a gem among the lower-league junk. This is more of a "if they find someone, no matter the position, then it's a positive" situation, in my mind.
Well we didnt improve at a single position via the draft or FA last year. Maybe you could argue DE with Dwan Edwards and Carrington, but that's it. On paper, we were better with Spiller but that didn't pan out on the field. Finding a gem in lower-league junk is a long shot, but it may be our only shot with the way this team drafts and behaves in FA.

Thief
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
This argument will hold water if we start looking at players in positions where we have a greater need. The fact that we technically can do it is irrelevant unless we actually do it.Yes, lets work out players that are either in college or under contracts with other teams.

better days
01-04-2011, 02:27 PM

Well, only so much can be done in the draft in one off-season. They can sign as many off the street as they can find.

psubills62
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Well we didnt improve at a single position via the draft or FA last year. Maybe you could argue DE with Dwan Edwards and Carrington, but that's it. On paper, we were better with Spiller but that didn't pan out on the field. Finding a gem in lower-league junk is a long shot, but it may be our only shot with the way this team drafts and behaves in FA.

Immediate improvement, no. I see last year's draft as more of a long-term investment. Nearly every guy we drafted had high upside, but were relatively...undeveloped. I think the next two years we'll see the drafts focus slightly more on NFL-ready guys.

I like the long-term outlook of a number of these guys, including Carrington, Easley, Batten, and Moats.

And no matter how incompetent a FO is, sorting through the trash is not a consistent way of improving the team.

Just out of curiosity, if they hadn't tried any "street" guys out this offseason, would you have even thought of complaining about this?

stuckincincy
01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
I watch the CFL, and have seen him play a ton. Good WR but noit even the best in the cfl and won;t make the team

Thanks for the eye-witness reporting - it matters.

Still, might be worth a look. CIN snagged a good CFL playe a few years back - LB Rashad Jeanty.

Sad that he was plagued with injuries - he was a force when he could go...

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 02:39 PM
So we mention the WR but not the other positions where we are looking at guys? That makes no sense.

We didn't bring in guys to try to improve the OL. We brought guys in cuz we had injuries and were desperate.

Did we not bring Aydollelelalrelal in in the middle of the season. It's been noted and said by Chan that Nix is constantly monitoring the waiver wire and FA'cy. Stop trying to draw your own conclusion when you have nothing but what you think is happening.

The bills bring in a player for a look at and you find something wrong with it. Just because Whitner cleaned his locker room our , you're lookin fro something else ***** about something again.

Gailey has already addressed the need to fix the run D. Just because we brought in a wr to look at doesn't mean we are not looking to fix the run D.

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Yes, lets work out players that are either in college or under contracts with other teams.
So, this guy is the ONLY player out there who isn't in college or under contract? Ok...

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 03:19 PM
So, this guy is the ONLY player out there who isn't in college or under contract? Ok...

That is the most ******ed ass logic you've ever used and that's saying something. You cant be serious with this line of thinking. You're just being stubborn.

ticatfan
01-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Whitner is gone and OP is already missing him especially if he never comes back.The problem is he is from the CFL and a CFL'er does not get any respect down south, we sent you doug flutie and you benched him and the rest is history. Like cam wake ,the things being said about him on the fin board was hilarious and he is now a pro bowler and sack leader. But he does not play special teams ,so is a team going to put him in at WR right away.

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
The problem is he is from the CFL and a CFL'er does not get any respect down south, we sent you doug flutie and you benched him and the rest is history. Like cam wake ,the things being said about him on the fin board was hilarious and he is now a pro bowler and sack leader. But he does not play special teams ,so is a team going to put him in at WR right away.

With all due respect , not entirely true Ticat. the fact that we brought Flutie means we do look at the CFL. Same with Garcia and Moon .They do get some respect.Our QB coach is from the CFL.

The thing is, it's not that easy to just jump out and find these players but I'm sure NFL teams do look at the CFL.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 04:34 PM
With all due respect , not entirely true Ticat. the fact that we brought Flutie means we do look at the CFL. Same with Garcia and Moon .They do get some respect.Our QB coach is from the CFL.

The thing is, it's not that easy to just jump out and find these players but I'm sure NFL teams do look at the CFL.

And the other way. If you watch the video of him talking after his Vikings workout he mentions one other former college player in Phillip Hunt who was a DE for Houston 3-4 years ago.

When I was at Notre Dame in the press box I was sitting next to a scout for the Edmonton Eskimos. He was scouting players for the CFL team.