PDA

View Full Version : Panthers not targeting a QB

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Reportedly from Michael Lombardi at NFL.com:

"The Panthers are on the clock with the first pick in the 2011 draft (order for top 20 picks of 2011 NFL Draft). There are indications coming from Carolina that the organization will not draft a quarterback and rely on Jimmy Clausen next season."

I will be looking for a link or SPAMing it myself.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Heres the link, rumor tag removed. Its about 3/4 of the way down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d6e4ed/article/playoff-field-set-but-some-teams-can-already-call-it-a-season

The King
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
We need to figure out how much to jump denver.

No way Elway passes on a Stanford guy.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
:smoke:

Carolina passing on Luck would be colossaly stupid.

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
like I said, wherever Harbaugh goes, they will look to trade up.

X-Era

Carolina passing on Luck would be colossaly stupid.I would agree but I can't say this would surprise me.

If anything, I think it makes them more likely to move down with a team that covets Luck. If they didn't just draft Clausen and Pike, I would see Luck as a sure thing. But having 2 one year guys and a rookie seems lees likely than getting a solid vet.

X-Era
like I said, wherever Harbaugh goes, they will look to trade up.Pray for the Fins if your a fan of drafting Luck.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
I would agree but I can't say this would surprise me.

If anything, I think it makes them more likely to move down with a team that covets Luck. If they didn't just draft Clausen and Pike, I would see Luck as a sure thing. But having 2 one year guys and a rookie seems lees likely than getting a solid vet.

It would shock me, I dont know where Lombardi is getting this but nobody else has heard anything and given Carolina has no current coach its a bit of a leap to make this claim now.

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Carolina passing on Luck would be colossaly stupid.

1. Carolina passes on Luck, takes Bowers (they have golden boy, Clausen)

2.Denver passes on Luck, takes Peterson (They have the son of the son of God in Tebow)

3. Buffalo is on the clock.They were ready to take Dareus, assumign Luck would be gone. Before they can fill out a new card, the intern runs to the table with the Dareus pick and the Bills pass on Luck.

I'm calling it now.

When I am right, you all can praise me.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2011, 11:42 AM
If Carolina is looking to move down, there's no better team to trade with than the Bills, so they wouldn't have to move too far down and still get a total stud.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:42 AM
We need to figure out how much to jump denver.

No way Elway passes on a Stanford guy.I like the possibilities. If Carolina isn't hell bent on drafting Luck, they may be more willing to move down... and the price may be less. Remember, they don't have a 2nd rounder...

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Pray for the Fins if your a fan of drafting Luck.
I'm praying the fins keep Sparano.

Mr. Miyagi
I totally said this by the way.

I'm still somewhat skeptical about Carolina taking Luck when they just spent a 2nd round pick on Clausen.

Hope against hope I guess.

X-Era
1. Carolina passes on Luck, takes Bowers (they have golden boy, Clausen)

2.Denver passes on Luck, takes Peterson (They have the son of the son of God in Tebow)

3. Buffalo is on the clock.They were ready to take Dareus, assumign Luck would be gone. Before they can fill out a new card, the intern runs to the table with the Dareus pick and the Bills pass on Luck.

I'm calling it now.

When I am right, you all can praise me.Zero chance. Ok, 5% chance, it is the Bills.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I totally said this by the way.Several of us did. It's too much to invest in one position with none of them being NFL proven. Yes, it is Luck, but he's also just one player. The thought highly enough of Clausen to spend a 2nd rounder on him. A vet makes more sense, and a trade down to get extra picks makes even more sense especially when they don't have a 2nd rounder.

Pinkerton Security
01-04-2011, 11:45 AM
sweet jebus, please let us somehow get Luck...

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Op? Is that you?

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I will end up eating serious crow if I wished for getting the top pick for Luck only to have him fall to us at 3...

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
sweet jebus, please let us somehow get Luck...As stoked as I am right now, there is a TON left to happen before we get to the draft... I still think it's unlikely that Carolina stays at 1 and passes up Luck... They too are shopping for a head coach and could be in the Harbaugh running.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Trading up to #1 takes A LOT. Not many teams would do it.

If Carolina passes on Luck, I just worry that teams would be trying to trade with Denver to jump in front of us.

I'd be soooooo pissed.

madness
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
In other words... Carolina thinks Luck is staying in school.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Bills 425 points allowed
32nd against the run

It truly amazes me that people want to waste the 1st pick on a QB.

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Bills 425 points allowed
32nd against the run

lol!

Jan Reimers
01-04-2011, 11:51 AM
We shall pummel you about the head and shoulders.

In an Internet sort of way, of course.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Trading up to #1 takes A LOT. Not many teams would do it.

If Carolina passes on Luck, I just worry that teams would be trying to trade with Denver to jump in front of us.

I'd be soooooo pissed.Wouldn't it be easier for us to move up the one spot? I mean that's 2600 points and we have 2200. Thats 400 points, our 2nd easily covers it, and they may take only a 3rd (250) and 4th (104)... we have an extra 4th. They also may be thinking CB and how about McKelvin?

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Bills 425 points allowed
32nd against the run

It truly amazes me that people want to waste the 1st pick on a QB.Maybe we don't think it's a waste... or that we can improve the defense drastically with requiring our 1st round pick.

THATHURMANATOR
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
First I can't imagine Carolina would keep the pick and NOT draft Luck. Of course this looks like a ploy to drive up trade interest. If by the grace of god they just didn't pick him then Denver is a very interesting situation. You have the whole Elway Stanford thing but they just gave up a boatload to trade up to get Tebow, and he actually looked half way decent when starting this year. Would they also pass him up? Seems highly unlikely.

My uneducated opinion is that Carolina will trade the Pick. I hope to the lord and Baby Jesus the Bills make it happen.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
In other words... Carolina thinks Luck is staying in school.

First thing I thought of when I read it.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
First I can't imagine Carolina would keep the pick and NOT draft Luck. Of course this looks like a ploy to drive up trade interest. If by the grace of god they just didn't pick him then Denver is a very interesting situation. You have the whole Elway Stanford thing but they just gave up a boatload to trade up to get Tebow, and he actually looked half way decent when starting this year. Would they also pass him up? Seems highly unlikely.

My uneducated opinion is that Carolina will trade the Pick. I hope to the lord and Baby Jesus the Bills make it happen.Why does them saying they aren't thinking Luck drive up the trade value? I would think it would drive the likely of a trade up which means the cost to make it happen may go down.

Beebe's Kid
I will end up eating serious crow if I wished for getting the top pick for Luck only to have him fall to us at 3...

X...I don't usually do this, but "lol." Do you think anybody would give a ****?

X-Era
First thing I thought of when I read it.If Harbaugh leaves, I think Luck will follow.

Ickybaluky
And last year everyone was saying that the Rams were hesitant to take Bradford as well. They want that out there because they still have to negotiate a contract with the guy. It is called leverage.

If Carolina doesn't take Luck, it will be because they trade the pick for a bounty. They would be dumb not to take the guy, but either way he is going #1.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
X...I don't usually do this, but "lol." Do you think anybody would give a ****?I don't honestly care, I'd be very happy to be wrong in that situation... but there is a few lurkers that don't much like us draft fans and our predictions... I'm sure Db knows the type.

Mr. Miyagi
I hope to the lord and Baby Jesus the Bills make it happen.
Don't forget Allah. Budda, and Mohammad.

Beebe's Kid
Not only does Denver have the son of God, they have a good QB named Orton.

They have so many other holes that they could fill with this pick that, giving the farm to Luck doesn't make a lot of sense.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
And last year everyone was saying that the Rams were hesitant to take Bradford as well. They want that out there because they still have to negotiate a contract with the guy. It is called leverage.

If Carolina doesn't take Luck, it will be because they trade the pick for a bounty. They would be dumb not to take the guy, but either way he is going #1.I think you are very right on that.

I'm just inclined to think that it's less than a slam dunk that Carolina stays and takes him. The Rams desperately needed Bradford, Carolina is a bit less desperate.

BTW, I'm smirking because it's truly the off-season when you get your first "it's a smokescreen" comment.

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Not only does Denver have the son of God, they have a good QB named Orton.

They have so many other holes that they could fill with this pick that, giving the farm to Luck doesn't make a lot of sense.
I think Orton is a free agent. He's as good as gone.

Demon
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Luck will go #1. Carolina is only feeding off info just incase for some reason they don't pick Luck to keep Jimmy's confidence high. Even if Luck had a average season, last night guaranteed him the #1 pick.

Bangarang
Bills 425 points allowed
32nd against the run

You do realize that we have 7 other draft picks besides our 1st rounder right? It's not like you can only find fat guys and linebackers in the 1st round.

Oaf
Would y'all be willing to give up #1, #2, and #2 2012 picks to secure this guy, holding Fitzpatrick and the state of our defense in consideration?

Beebe's Kid
I thought they extended the ol'boy, but regardless...I am full of ****.

What the **** was I talking about? If Luck doesn't go to the #1 team, there is no way in hell the #2 team passes. He is BPA, and is the most value. His salary is predetermined, and having too many QB's is never going to be a detriment to a team.

I ate some meatloaf for lunch, perhaps the mashed potatoes were tainted.

Dr. Lecter
01-04-2011, 12:02 PM

If Carolina doesn't take Luck, it will be because they trade the pick for a bounty. They would be dumb not to take the guy, but either way he is going #1.
A bit different this year. They can't negotiate a deal before the draft.

Beebe's Kid
01-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Would y'all .....

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Y'all will get you run every time.

Mahdi
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Carolina would be the dumbest organization in the NFL to pass on Luck because they have Clausen.

Carolina is a team perfectly set up for a QB like Luck. Two top end OTs, strong running game, big time receiver and can add another, and a very good pass defense that will get after QBs with a lead.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Carolina would be the dumbest organization in the NFL to pass on Luck because they have Clausen.

Carolina is a team perfectly set up for a QB like Luck. Two top end OTs, strong running game, big time receiver and can add another, and a very good pass defense that will get after QBs with a lead.How bad did it work out for the Chargers to move down with the Falcons and pass up Vick? They just drafted some guy named Drew Brees in the 2nd.

And at one point had both Rivers and Brees on the same team.

kingJofNYC
01-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Not even going to get my hopes up, simply not happening.

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM

he is signed through next season.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
How bad did it work out for the Chargers to move down with the Falcons and pass up Vick? They just drafted some guy named Drew Brees in the 2nd.

and they used the pick they got to draft some bum named LaDainian Tomlinson.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
and they used the pick they got to draft some bum named LaDainian Tomlinson.Exactly.

wmoz11
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Orton will not be back in Denver. They're asking for a 2nd round pick for him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/04/broncos-will-want-second-round-pick-for-orton/

Mahdi
01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
How bad did it work out for the Chargers to move down with the Falcons and pass up Vick? They just drafted some guy named Drew Brees in the 2nd.

Passing on Vick for Tomlinson makes some sense though. A lot of GMs were probably unsure how Vick would be as a QB in the NFL and Tomlinson looked like the next Thurman Thomas.

Also, they did not pass on Manning. They drafted him and then traded him for a player they valued just as highly and picks.

Rivers so far, although he didn't win the SB has proven to be the better QB.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Passing on Vick for Tomlinson makes some sense though. A lot of GMs were probably unsure how Vick would be as a QB in the NFL and Tomlinson looked like the next Thurman Thomas.

Also, they did not pass on Manning. They drafted him and then traded him for a player they valued just as highly and picks.

Rivers so far, although he didn't win the SB has proven to be the better QB.I know all that. The point was that it's not unheard of and has worked out well in the past for different teams doing it.

Saratoga Slim
01-04-2011, 12:21 PM
As I posted in another thread, Lombardi isn't the only one hearing these rumors.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=199288

At this point, you can't tell me that even Carolina knows what they're going to do for sure. They don't even know who their coach is going to be. You can say that Carolina is "most likely" to take Luck, or "stupid" not to take him, but at the end of the day....it's January. A lot of things can happen.

- the owner COULD decide to push the new coach to give Jimmy Clownsen a chance, so as to protect the investment of last year's #2 pick
- they COULD sign a vet like Orton or McNabb to either start or provide a vet alternative to Clausen
- they COULD hire a coach that totally falls in love with Cam Newton's physical attributes
- they COULD go the Miami '08 route and take a 'safe pick' like Jake Long instead of a QB prospect (Matt Ryan)

Anyway, everyone who says that Carolina will likely take Luck is probably right. But I don't think it's by any means a lock at this point.

That's good, because it will give us all SO much more to speculate about.

psubills62
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
:sigh:

How many more months until the draft?

99% sure this means one of two things: 1) Carolina is putting out misinformation already, 2) Carolina has good reason to think Luck is staying in school.

A team giving up a bunch of crap to move up and draft Luck at #1 is a possibility. However, it is a very, very small possibility. I just don't see Carolina trading out of the top spot, and if Luck is there, they'll be taking him.

kscdogbillsfan1221
01-04-2011, 12:35 PM
didn't everybody "know" that in 2006 the Houston Texans would be selecting Reggie Bush?

My point is that anything can happen.

psubills62
01-04-2011, 01:38 PM
This is much more believable:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/17362/panthers-will-take-luck-if-he-enters-draft

According to ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas, the Panthers have already decided to select Stanford QB Andrew Luck with the No. 1 overall pick if he enters in the 2011 NFL draft.

trapezeus
01-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Is this not the game the carolina is allowed to play. I think the #1 team likes to try to work out thecontract with their pick the day before the draft so that it's all good to go.

If they say the aren't targeting luck and talk to him prior to the draft about a contract, they can kind of decline and put on a face that they'll take someone else. This allows them a little leverage in the contract negotiation prior to draft day announcement. Let me emphasize "little" as at the end of the day,the #1 pick has the worst team bent over.

better days
01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Y'all will get you run every time.

Hey, that is just Bills Coach speak. If y'all don't like it too bad.

Lone Stranger
01-04-2011, 02:01 PM
If the initial rumor is accurate the Bills must do whatever to get Luck. He is supposed to be the best QB prospect in 10 years.It would essentially mean outbidding Denver. However, if somebody offers Carolna their entire draft it's going to be hard to beat.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
You do realize that we have 7 other draft picks besides our 1st rounder right? It's not like you can only find fat guys and linebackers in the 1st round.
And the Bills can find other QB's that will be a bust later in the draft. Except if a 3rd/4th round QB turns out to be a turd its no big deal. A first round QB that turns out to be a bust sets this franchise back another 5 years.

Defense should be the only priority this draft.

Ickybaluky
01-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Their owner just confirmed they aren't taking the pick. He didn't come right out and say it, but they are taking Luck.

LINK (http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/01/richardson-discusses-fox-exit-next-coach.html)

The Panthers' owner said the Panthers were unlikely to trade the top pick. "We're looking for someone that can be a top-flight player and hopefully make us a better team," Richardson said. "And I have no doubt if you have the first pic, we're likely to do that."

X-Era
01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Their owner just confirmed they aren't taking the pick. He didn't come right out and say it, but they are taking Luck.

LINK (http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/01/richardson-discusses-fox-exit-next-coach.html)This isn't done until the card goes in. Besides, the list of potential future answers at QB doesn't end at Luck.

DraftBoy
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
This isn't done until the card goes in. Besides, the list of potential future answers at QB doesn't end at Luck.

True but it certainly starts there.

Mad Max
01-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Pray for the Fins if your a fan of drafting Luck.

http://draftharbaugh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/harbaugh.jpg

We don't want Harbs to go to the Fins...there's a good chance he'd make them, you know, good.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 02:51 PM
This is Richardson's quote:

""We're looking for someone that can be a top-flight player and hopefully make us a better team," Richardson said. "And I have no doubt if you have the first pic, we're likely to do that.""

Sure it can fit for Luck, but it also can fit for several of the other top flight players like Green, Peterson, maybe Bowers. It also doesn't say he won't move down, only that if they have the top pick he doesn't doubt they would get a top flight player.

It simply doesn't say a) the Panthers won't move down, and b) They will definitely take Luck.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/01/richardson-discusses-fox-exit-next-coach.html

This ESPN link says high ranking sources say they will absolutely pick Luck:

[/URL][url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254 (http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/01/richardson-discusses-fox-exit-next-coach.html)

So really it's Michael Lombardi's sources vs. Pete Yasinskas's sources and the owner didn't directly tell you one way or the other.

Do I think it's likely they would take Luck, Yes. Do I think it's a foregone conclusion, No. Do I think they won't even listen to trad offers? No, They absolutely will.

(http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/01/richardson-discusses-fox-exit-next-coach.html)

Mr. Miyagi
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
We're all reading too much into between the lines, when 90% of what is said between now and draft day is posturing.

I want Luck, but we'll have to wait until April to find out.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
We're all reading too much into between the lines, when 90% of what is said between now and draft day is posturing.

I want Luck, but we'll have to wait until April to find out.On this we agree.

And, I think the majority of Bills fans here are clear (so far in the poll) that they want us to move up to get him and either pay full trade value or even more to do it.

don137
01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Also says in Charlotte paper how Panthers want Luck not Harbaugh
http://blogs.charlotte.com/tom_talks/2011/01/panthers-will-draft-luck-if-he-comes-out-wont-pursue-harbaugh-as-coach.html
The city will revolt if the Panthers do not draft Luck. I know thousands will cancel their PSL season tickets. The Panthers already are on thin ice with the fans after this year. IMO, no way they trade the pick or draft someone else.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Mort just speculated there could be a trade down as well. Called it a possible auction for the pick.

TigerJ
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
If Carolina is looking to move down, there's no better team to trade with than the Bills, so they wouldn't have to move too far down and still get a total stud. Very true. Buffalo is high enough that the price shouldn't be prohibitive. If you're picking tenth or lower, you just about have to give up the team to trade up. Buffalo should at least be talking to Carolina. If I were Carolina, I would be planning to draft Luck and trying to sucker someone into trading for Clausen.

Dr. Pepper
01-04-2011, 05:21 PM
the panthers will either draft luck or trade the #1 for an obscene amount of picks. end of story. either way, the Bills should probably take best defensive player available and see if theres a qb they like left standing in the 2nd round. if not, more defense.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Mayock discusses the situation for Carolina in this video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81d24e8b/Draft-advice-for-the-Panthers