PDA

View Full Version : Merriman went from reluctant to asking to be a part of the Bills

madness
01-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Outlook for Merriman good (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/04/outlook-for-merriman-good/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2011-01-04T13:40:25+0000"> January 4, 2011 – 1:40 pm </abbr> </small>

Bills OLB Shawne Merriman talked about his Achilles problem that had plagued him for the past year in a radio interview in Washington D.C. on 106.7 the FAN Tuesday morning. But the pass rusher also talked about how he and the Bills training staff believe they’ve rectified that injury problem.
Merriman said they don’t see it being an issue moving forward now that they’ve pinpointed what was causing the strained Achilles (http://1067thefandc.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/the-sports-junkies-hour-4-1411/) to be re-injured.
“I had an Achilles strain early on this year and it’s been kind of lingering for the past year,” he said. ”It’s been something that I haven’t been able to take care of and I lost a little bit of explosion because I haven’t been able to push off the thing. But I’ve seen a couple of people and got some help finally and figured out what the problem was. So now it’s just a time thing.
“I’m grateful to be out there with the Buffalo training staff. They really helped me out with this thing because they brought a lot of things to my attention that I didn’t know for the past year. I’m waiting to be that guy that’s going to go out there and make plays because Buffalo is going to need me to do that come around September.”
If Merriman is able to successfully recover and put the Achilles problem behind him, Buffalo may have made one of the better investments available for a pass rush.

Merriman on decision to sign (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/01/04/merriman-on-decision-to-sign/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2011-01-04T13:34:40+0000"> January 4, 2011 – 1:34 pm </abbr> </small>

For the first time since re-signing with the Bills over the weekend, Shawne Merriman addressed that decision among other things while appearing on 106.7 FM the FAN in Washington D.C. this morning.
Merriman was up front (http://1067thefandc.cbslocal.com/2011/01/04/the-sports-junkies-hour-4-1411/) about being reluctant to join the Bills, but explained that once he got to One Bills Drive his whole outlook changed.
“Of course if you have your chance, your choice to pick a team you wouldn’t want to go to a team that’s 0-8 at the time,” said Merriman of being claimed off waivers by Buffalo. ”That’s just typical for anyone that wants to win football game. I really don’t like losing so it wasn’t my first choice to go there. Obviously I knew Buddy Nix. I have a great relationship with Buddy Nix. I knew a couple of guys on the team. From the outside looking in being in San Diego you didn’t have a chance to see a lot of their games. You’re looking at their stats and looking at their record you think the team is really out there getting blown out. And that’s not the case.
“When you get a chance to be out there and you’re around the guys and around the organization it’s a totally different story. This is a team that’s going to go out there each and every day and fight their a** off. That’s one thing I loved about it. They were in just about every game this year.
“There were one or two games where they just lost the game and they were just flat out beat. But the rest of the games they were in it. They probably were a couple of guys away at the time from competing in the division. My whole mentality changed when I got out there. These are guys that I love being around that are going to go out there and lay it out on the line. They’re probably a few guys away from going out there and tearing some things up. So I told them I wanted to be a part of it and it changed my mentality toward the team very quick.”

Figster
01-04-2011, 01:50 PM
A healthy Shawn Merriman could be just what the doctor ordered for an ailing Bills pass rush.

trapezeus
01-04-2011, 01:50 PM
honesty is a cool thing.

When i was a kid, i was on the jim kelly show on channel 7. Mind you i was under 5 feet tall and maybe 13 at the time. I got to ask jim Kelly my question. I think he thought i was going to throw a softball out there, and i ended up asking him, "why did you chose to go to houston when the bills picked you." and he answered it pretty straightfoward. He said, "they weren't a good team, and the city had a bad reputation, especially as a QB. I was told that playing in the cold would effect my playing life and it would hurt my arm. I really didn't want to go there and took a bigger contract in houston. But i did end up in buffalo, and i love it."

I remember that being cool to here him kind of give it like it was. Same with merriman. he didn't really just gush about the town in a sound clip. he gave it like he experienced it more or less. I hope he's right about being a couple guys away and i hope to god he's one of those guys.

better days
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
When the Bills signed Merriman, I said that I hoped he would get healthy & that once he experienced Buffalo he would like it. Now he just has to get healthy.

How great would it be next year to see Merriman doing his dance with Brady on the ground 5 or 6 times?

Forward_Lateral
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Kudos to Merriman for being honest. He's right, who would've wanted to come to Buffalo at that point in the season? Maybe now that he's signed other guys might consider Buffalo instead of just fluffing them off. Either way, it's a great deal for Buffalo, whether Merriman works out or not.

OpIv37
01-04-2011, 02:11 PM
I really hope all of this is true and not simply a case of him saying the right things to the media.

Thief
01-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I wish he would have been more specific about what help his Achilles problem.

The King
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
This was such a low risk move, its hard not to love it. If it doesnt pan out ok... if it does its brilliant. Good for the Bills and Merriman to see the opportunity at hand.

Night Train
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Conclusion - His agent found out there was a market of 1 team for his client.

mikemac2001
01-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Conclusion - His agent found out there was a market of 1 team for his client.

that and new CBA might want to get the deal done before

BillsWin
01-04-2011, 04:59 PM
“Of course if you have your chance, your choice to pick a team you wouldn’t want to go to a team that’s 0-8 at the time,” said Merriman of being claimed off waivers by Buffalo. ”That’s just typical for anyone that wants to win football game. I really don’t like losing so it wasn’t my first choice to go there. Obviously I knew Buddy Nix. I have a great relationship with Buddy Nix. I knew a couple of guys on the team. From the outside looking in being in San Diego you didn’t have a chance to see a lot of their games. You’re looking at their stats and looking at their record you think the team is really out there getting blown out. And that’s not the case.

“When you get a chance to be out there and you’re around the guys and around the organization it’s a totally different story. This is a team that’s going to go out there each and every day and fight their a** off. That’s one thing I loved about it. They were in just about every game this year.

“There were one or two games where they just lost the game and they were just flat out beat. But the rest of the games they were in it. They probably were a couple of guys away at the time from competing in the division. My whole mentality changed when I got out there. These are guys that I love being around that are going to go out there and lay it out on the line. They’re probably a few guys away from going out there and tearing some things up. So I told them I wanted to be a part of it and it changed my mentality toward the team very quick.”

From buffalobills.com

I like the attitude if he's genuine.

justasportsfan
01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
If I blew my achilles again, I would be asking for a job too.

I hope he pans out but that really doesn't mean anything until I see him on the foeld.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 05:04 PM
From buffalobills.com

I like the attitude if he's genuine.A few of us predicted this possibility. I like the potential statement it makes to other players in the league and that it may mean we may go this route again.

I saw a Haynseworth for a 5th speculation today and the Merriman move had me think about it. My thought was that we could give Albert what he wants and put him as a DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4 and that he may be just fine in that situation. But, I just worry too much about his attitude and it may just be too much to take on. T.O. worked with Jauron, not sure Gailey would even want a player like that.

Regardless, There may be other significant players out there in similar situations who may be interested now based on Merriman's comments.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 05:05 PM
If I blew my achilles again, I would be asking for a job too.

I hope he pans out but that really doesn't mean anything until I see him on the foeld.I'd be happy if he just taught others how to rush the passer and brought intensity to the defense, even from the sideline. To be honest though, I think he can become much more for us. Maybe not what he once was, but much better than Ellison, Maybin, or Torbor, and that means a significant upgrade to what we have now.

Electrici
01-04-2011, 05:08 PM
He keeps on saying 'they'. He's signed and a part of the team, he should be saying 'we'. He may not have played a down on the team yet or had anything to do with the past season but he's down for the cause now.

PromoTheRobot
01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Why do we want to trade for Haynesworth? He was decent years ago. Now he's an out-of-shape, unmotivated, overpaid bag of guano.

PTR

better days
01-04-2011, 05:23 PM
He keeps on saying 'they'. He's signed and a part of the team, he should be saying 'we'. He may not have played a down on the team yet or had anything to do with the past season but he's down for the cause now.

I think he said they because he was not out on the field playing with them. He knew he was no part of that in the past but it appears he wants to be part of the future & if healthy he will be a great addition to the team.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Why do we want to trade for Haynesworth? He was decent years ago. Now he's an out-of-shape, unmotivated, overpaid bag of guano.

PTRI don't. The thought was getting the Titans version of Haynesworth by only giving up a 5th rounder. It was the concept of a reclamation project and us providing him what he wants to get him motivated again. But, Gailey probably wants no part of that. His contract no longer includes the guaranteed money apparently. For a 5th, I think the Titans would take him back assuming Fisher stays.

Mr. Pink
01-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Already posted.

X-Era
01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Heres the Haynesworth link I was referencing:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&rwr=1&id=2636

Electrici
01-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I think he said they because he was not out on the field playing with them. He knew he was no part of that in the past but it appears he wants to be part of the future & if healthy he will be a great addition to the team.

Agreed, it just drives me nuts. :) "they,they,they,they."

Beebe's Kid
01-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Agreed, it just drives me nuts. :) "they,they,they,they."
If he would have said "we" you would have been mad, and said "you were injured in the first 15 minutes, this team didn't do much, but Merriman did even less."

Let's give the guy a chance. Out fans need to try to support the guys that are here, and quit pissing and moaning over every little detail.

Electrici
01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I haven't said one ill-word against Merriman. Haven't even seen the guy play for the team, so there's no reason to!

That said, I haven't said anything bad about Maybin either, I prefer to dwell on the positives, as few as those might be.

madness
01-05-2011, 08:43 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3391860#post3391860

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
From buffalobills.com

I like the attitude if he's genuine.
He could have signed anywhere in the offseason so the fact that he signed shows he is genuine.

Thief
01-05-2011, 11:27 AM
He could have signed anywhere in the offseason so the fact that he signed shows he is genuine.Or it just shows that his agent explained to him that his options were limited, and he wasn't worth much on the open market.

better days
01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Or it just shows that his agent explained to him that his options were limited, and he wasn't worth much on the open market.

Well, he didn't get all that much in Buffalo. He could have most likely got a similar deal elseware. He said he signed here because he liked the team & wanted to be here, I believe him.

EDS
01-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Well, he didn't get all that much in Buffalo. He could have most likely got a similar deal elseware. He said he signed here because he liked the team & wanted to be here, I believe him.

Almost every player that signs a deal says he likes the team and wants to be a part of it.

What is he going to say, "I wanted to be somewhere else but wanted a paycheck so hear I am!"

madness
01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
bump for the real thread :tongue:

Tbuffalobills
01-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Living in San Diego! I can tell everyone here! I mean everyone! The guy loves the ROIDS! Hes a broken down nothing with out them! The fact that the BIlls signed him is one of two things! They want to sells some jerseys, or he's back on the juice~

The San Diego Fan base got very sick of this guy, and you will too!

better days
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Living in San Diego! I can tell everyone here! I mean everyone! The guy loves the ROIDS! Hes a broken down nothing with out them! The fact that the BIlls signed him is one of two things! They want to sells some jerseys, or he's back on the juice~

Hey maybe he can hook up the rest of the team. The Bills need to find a guy with a connection to compete with the Pats* & the roided players on that team.

better days
01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Almost every player that signs a deal says he likes the team and wants to be a part of it.

What is he going to say, "I wanted to be somewhere else but wanted a paycheck so hear I am!"

Fair enough, but he did not have to sign with the Bills so while it is a cliche it is also most likely true.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2011, 08:37 PM

well if hes back on the juice and playing like an all pro, then guess what, I WANT HIM!

jamze132
01-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Dude, I would trade a 5th round pick for a starter any day of the week. I would trade a 4th for a starter too.

By starter I mean productive and damn good at his position. Not a Whitner.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Dude, I would trade a 5th round pick for a starter any day of the week. I would trade a 4th for a starter too.

By starter I mean productive and damn good at his position. Not a Whitner.I would too. I agree with trading the pick for a starter, not necessarily Haynesworth.

I think we should be thinking about what that pick represents in the type of player we typically draft. What type of production do we usually get out of our 4th or 5th round picks vs. what would we get out of a proven NFL starter.

jamze132
01-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I would too. I agree with trading the pick for a starter, not necessarily Haynesworth.

I think we should be thinking about what that pick represents in the type of player we typically draft. What type of production do we usually get out of our 4th or 5th round picks vs. what would we get out of a proven NFL starter.
I agree and 92.7% of the time you will have more sucess with a proven vet than a 5th RD pick. Especially if they are productively starting.

Mahdi
01-06-2011, 09:26 AM

So because you live in San Diego you have intimate knowledge of Merriman?

BTW Merriman had 17.5 sacks after his suspension, 12.5 of which came one year later. He doesn't need the ROIDS to be good.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I agree and 92.7% of the time you will have more sucess with a proven vet than a 5th RD pick. Especially if they are productively starting.
2000:
4- Avion Black
5- Sammy Morris

2001:
4- Brandon Spoon
5- Marques Sullivan

2002:
5- Justin Bannan

2003:
4- Terrence McGee
5- Sam Aiken

2004:
4- Tim Euhus

2005:
4- Duke Preston
5- Eric King

2006:
4- Ko Simpson
5- Kyle Williams

2007:
4- Dwayne Wright

2008:
4- Reggie Corner
4- Derek Fine

2009:
4- Shawn Nelson

In the last 10 years, we have drafted 1 high quality player in Kyle Williams, and one solid starter in Terrence McGee with that 4th or 5th round pick.

So, what were talking about is trading a pick that we have had little success getting a starter from for a proven NFL starting player.

It depends on who you're trading for as to whether it's worth it or not.

jamze132
01-06-2011, 11:21 AM
2000:
4- Avion Black
5- Sammy Morris

2001:
4- Brandon Spoon
5- Marques Sullivan

2002:
5- Justin Bannan

2003:
4- Terrence McGee
5- Sam Aiken

2004:
4- Tim Euhus

2005:
4- Duke Preston
5- Eric King

2006:
4- Ko Simpson
5- Kyle Williams

2007:
4- Dwayne Wright

2008:
4- Reggie Corner
4- Derek Fine

2009:
4- Shawn Nelson

In the last 10 years, we have drafted 1 high quality player in Kyle Williams, and one solid starter in Terrence McGee with that 4th or 5th round pick.

So, what were talking about is trading a pick that we have had little success getting a starter from for a proven NFL starting player.

It depends on who you're trading for as to whether it's worth it or not.
What I am talking about is trading a mid-round draft pick for a proven veteran. Obviously starters aren't just floating around and available for a mid-round draft pick, but occasionally one does come along. Randy Moss comes to light. And I think it was smart of Seattle to trade a 4th for Lynch. You know what you are getting and to me that is way more valuable than the unknown. Of course that 4th or 5th RD pick could blossom into Jesus but chances are, that's not going to happen.

RockStar36
01-06-2011, 11:31 AM
What I am talking about is trading a mid-round draft pick for a proven veteran. Obviously starters aren't just floating around and available for a mid-round draft pick, but occasionally one does come along. Randy Moss comes to light. And I think it was smart of Seattle to trade a 4th for Lynch. You know what you are getting and to me that is way more valuable than the unknown. Of course that 4th or 5th RD pick could blossom into Jesus but chances are, that's not going to happen.

I completely agree with this logic.

Thief
01-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Well, he didn't get all that much in Buffalo. He could have most likely got a similar deal elseware. He said he signed here because he liked the team & wanted to be here, I believe him.He got a lot more in B-lo than some predicted. Many thought he wouldn't get an offer and would be out of football all together.

better days
01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
He got a lot more in B-lo than some predicted. Many thought he wouldn't get an offer and would be out of football all together.

Are you talking football people or fans? A couple teams besides Buffalo claimed him when he went on waivers so I doubt he would be out of football.

He really did not get much in guaranteed money. If he reaches his incentives he will be well paid as he should be. I wish all contracts could be structured like this.

trapezeus
01-06-2011, 11:59 AM

By starter I mean productive and damn good at his position. Not a Whitner.

i wouldn't only because that's where the bills excel in drafting. i'd trade 1, 2 and 3 to get more 4 and 5's. I say this half joking.