• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Merriman went from reluctant to asking to be a part of the Bills

Outlook for Merriman good

Posted by Chris Brown on January 4, 2011 – 1:40 pm

Bills OLB Shawne Merriman talked about his Achilles problem that had plagued him for the past year in a radio interview in Washington D.C. on 106.7 the FAN Tuesday morning. But the pass rusher also talked about how he and the Bills training staff believe they’ve rectified that injury problem.
    Merriman said they don’t see it being an issue moving forward now that they’ve pinpointed what was causing the strained Achilles to be re-injured.
    “I had an Achilles strain early on this year and it’s been kind of lingering for the past year,” he said. ”It’s been something that I haven’t been able to take care of and I lost a little bit of explosion because I haven’t been able to push off the thing. But I’ve seen a couple of people and got some help finally and figured out what the problem was. So now it’s just a time thing.
    “I’m grateful to be out there with the Buffalo training staff. They really helped me out with this thing because they brought a lot of things to my attention that I didn’t know for the past year. I’m waiting to be that guy that’s going to go out there and make plays because Buffalo is going to need me to do that come around September.”
    If Merriman is able to successfully recover and put the Achilles problem behind him, Buffalo may have made one of the better investments available for a pass rush.

Merriman on decision to sign

Posted by Chris Brown on January 4, 2011 – 1:34 pm

For the first time since re-signing with the Bills over the weekend, Shawne Merriman addressed that decision among other things while appearing on 106.7 FM the FAN in Washington D.C. this morning.
    Merriman was up front about being reluctant to join the Bills, but explained that once he got to One Bills Drive his whole outlook changed.
    “Of course if you have your chance, your choice to pick a team you wouldn’t want to go to a team that’s 0-8 at the time,” said Merriman of being claimed off waivers by Buffalo. ”That’s just typical for anyone that wants to win football game. I really don’t like losing so it wasn’t my first choice to go there. Obviously I knew Buddy Nix. I have a great relationship with Buddy Nix. I knew a couple of guys on the team. From the outside looking in being in San Diego you didn’t have a chance to see a lot of their games. You’re looking at their stats and looking at their record you think the team is really out there getting blown out. And that’s not the case.
    “When you get a chance to be out there and you’re around the guys and around the organization it’s a totally different story. This is a team that’s going to go out there each and every day and fight their a** off. That’s one thing I loved about it. They were in just about every game this year.
    “There were one or two games where they just lost the game and they were just flat out beat. But the rest of the games they were in it. They probably were a couple of guys away at the time from competing in the division. My whole mentality changed when I got out there. These are guys that I love being around that are going to go out there and lay it out on the line. They’re probably a few guys away from going out there and tearing some things up. So I told them I wanted to be a part of it and it changed my mentality toward the team very quick.”
  • dog14787
    • Oct 2010

Re: Outlook on Merriman's injury and his decision to sign w/ Bills

A healthy Shawn Merriman could be just what the doctor ordered for an ailing Bills pass rush.
    Last edited by Figster; 01-04-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

honesty is a cool thing.

When i was a kid, i was on the jim kelly show on channel 7. Mind you i was under 5 feet tall and maybe 13 at the time. I got to ask jim Kelly my question. I think he thought i was going to throw a softball out there, and i ended up asking him, "why did you chose to go to houston when the bills picked you." and he answered it pretty straightfoward. He said, "they weren't a good team, and the city had a bad reputation, especially as a QB. I was told that playing in the cold would effect my playing life and it would hurt my arm. I really didn't want to go there and took a bigger contract in houston. But i did end up in buffalo, and i love it."

I remember that being cool to here him kind of give it like it was. Same with merriman. he didn't really just gush about the town in a sound clip. he gave it like he experienced it more or less. I hope he's right about being a couple guys away and i hope to god he's one of those guys.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

When the Bills signed Merriman, I said that I hoped he would get healthy & that once he experienced Buffalo he would like it. Now he just has to get healthy.

How great would it be next year to see Merriman doing his dance with Brady on the ground 5 or 6 times?

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Kudos to Merriman for being honest. He's right, who would've wanted to come to Buffalo at that point in the season? Maybe now that he's signed other guys might consider Buffalo instead of just fluffing them off. Either way, it's a great deal for Buffalo, whether Merriman works out or not.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

I really hope all of this is true and not simply a case of him saying the right things to the media.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Thief
              • Sep 2009

I wish he would have been more specific about what help his Achilles problem.

Comment

• The King
                Without me it's just Awe so
                • Jun 2004

This was such a low risk move, its hard not to love it. If it doesnt pan out ok... if it does its brilliant. Good for the Bills and Merriman to see the opportunity at hand.
                I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                It was all
                true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Conclusion - His agent found out there was a market of 1 team for his client.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
                    Conclusion - His agent found out there was a market of 1 team for his client.

that and new CBA might want to get the deal done before

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• BillsWin
                      man amongst boys
                      • Oct 2008

Merriman went from reluctant to asking to be a part of the Bills

Of course if you have your chance, your choice to pick a team you wouldn’t want to go to a team that’s 0-8 at the time,” said Merriman of being claimed off waivers by Buffalo. ”That’s just typical for anyone that wants to win football game. I really don’t like losing so it wasn’t my first choice to go there. Obviously I knew Buddy Nix. I have a great relationship with Buddy Nix. I knew a couple of guys on the team. From the outside looking in being in San Diego you didn’t have a chance to see a lot of their games. You’re looking at their stats and looking at their record you think the team is really out there getting blown out. And that’s not the case.

“When you get a chance to be out there and you’re around the guys and around the organization it’s a totally different story. This is a team that’s going to go out there each and every day and fight their a** off. That’s one thing I loved about it. They were in just about every game this year.

“There were one or two games where they just lost the game and they were just flat out beat. But the rest of the games they were in it. They probably were a couple of guys away at the time from competing in the division. My whole mentality changed when I got out there. These are guys that I love being around that are going to go out there and lay it out on the line. They’re probably a few guys away from going out there and tearing some things up. So I told them I wanted to be a part of it and it changed my mentality toward the team very quick.
                      From buffalobills.com

I like the attitude if he's genuine.
                      I am The Batman.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Re: Merriman went from reluctant to asking to be a part of the Bills

If I blew my achilles again, I would be asking for a job too.

I hope he pans out but that really doesn't mean anything until I see him on the foeld.
                        Last edited by justasportsfan; 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsWin
                          From buffalobills.com

I like the attitude if he's genuine.
                          A few of us predicted this possibility. I like the potential statement it makes to other players in the league and that it may mean we may go this route again.

I saw a Haynseworth for a 5th speculation today and the Merriman move had me think about it. My thought was that we could give Albert what he wants and put him as a DT in a 4-3 or DE in a 3-4 and that he may be just fine in that situation. But, I just worry too much about his attitude and it may just be too much to take on. T.O. worked with Jauron, not sure Gailey would even want a player like that.

Regardless, There may be other significant players out there in similar situations who may be interested now based on Merriman's comments.

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                            If I blew my achilles again, I would be asking for a job too.

I hope he pans out but that really doesn't mean anything until I see him on the foeld.
                            I'd be happy if he just taught others how to rush the passer and brought intensity to the defense, even from the sideline. To be honest though, I think he can become much more for us. Maybe not what he once was, but much better than Ellison, Maybin, or Torbor, and that means a significant upgrade to what we have now.

Comment

• Electrici
                              • May 2003

He keeps on saying 'they'. He's signed and a part of the team, he should be saying 'we'. He may not have played a down on the team yet or had anything to do with the past season but he's down for the cause now.

Comment

Working...
                              X