• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Understatement of the year: Gailey

After the loss on Sunday Gailey said, ""Maybe we have further to go than I thought we did."

Ya think?
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Understatement of the year: Gailey

At least he realizes it . The first step to getting better is knowing you have problems instead of believing that what you have is good enough.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      At least he realizes it . The first step to getting better is knowing you have problems instead of believing that what you have is good enough.
      "Well, we played a really good team today. I think I'll have to take a look at the tape."
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Cleve
        • Oct 2004

LOL. He should have come to this conclusion in January of 2010.

Of course, we're talking about the same Chan Gailey that needed a full two weeks into the season to reach the obvious conclusion that Trent Edwards was terrible - a conclusion scores of sports writers, sports columnists, and fans had ALREADY reached long before. And somehow didn't notice during an entire off-season and training camp that Ryan Fitzpatrick clearly possessed superior skills to Edwards.

I gave Gailey the benefit of the doubt for most of the regular 2010 season - but now it's time to question his performance, and I think there are serious questions about his ability to turn this team around. I am strongly questioning his ability to evaluate player performance before a season starts.
        Last edited by Cleve; 01-05-2011, 09:43 AM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
        per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Cleve
          LOL. He should have come to this conclusion in January of 2010.

Of course, we're talking about the same Chan Gailey that needed a full two weeks into the season to reach the obvious conclusion that Trent Edwards was terrible - a conclusion scores of sports writers, sports columnists, and fans had ALREADY reached long before. And somehow didn't notice during an entire off-season and training camp that Ryan Fitzpatrick clearly possessed superior skills to Edwards.
          for the nth time you wont know how your players do until they hit the field. Ask Wade Philipps ( RJ/DF) Andy Ried (Kolb/Vick).
          sacrifice1

Comment

• bf1
            • Oct 2010

It's no surprise to me. How much is he getting paid?

Comment

• Cleve
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              for the nth time you wont know how your players do until they hit the field. Ask Wade Philipps ( RJ/DF) Andy Ried (Kolb/Vick).
              For the nth time, everyone and their brother (except Chan Gailey) knew Edwards sucked donkey balls BECAUSE he'd 'hit the field' numerous times in PREVIOUS SEASONS!

There was plenty of past "tape" since Gailey likes "tape" so much, to review and to base this judgment upon. Edwards starting the 2010 season was an enormous WTF!? moment for most fans. But... sports writers and fans did give Gailey the benefit of the doubt... maybe there WAS something about Edwards that was coachable or correctable - but clearly that was NOT the case. The guy stank from the first minute he hit the field.

Gailey was probably just being a good "Yes" man for Ralph Wilson - who apparently liked Trent Edwards. His job isn't to be "Yes" man, his job is to build a championship football team. So far, all he's accomplished is to bring the offense back to 2008 Jauron levels of efficency - the defense is now sub-Jauron quality.
              Last edited by Cleve; 01-05-2011, 09:56 AM.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
              per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

For the nth time, everyone and their brother (except Chan Gailey) knew Edwards sucked donkey balls BECAUSE he'd 'hit the field' numerous times in PREVIOUS SEASONS!

There was plenty of past "tape" since Gailey likes "tape" so much, to review and to base this judgment upon.

Gailey was probably just being a good "Yes" man for Ralph Wilson - who apparently liked Trent Edwards. His job isn't to be "Yes" man, his job is to build a championship football team. So far, all he's accomplished is to bring the offense back to 2008 Jauron levels of efficency - the defense is now sub-Jauron quality.

tape doesn't mean much. If tape was everything, then we weren't wrong for drafting Maybin.

Reid not only had tape but he had Vick on his team last year. Reid didn't know that Vick was better than Kolb until Vick came in for an injured Kolb.

If Kolb didn't go down with an injury that forced Vick to play ,Kolb most likely still be their qb.

You can say the same thing about Flutie and Rob Johnson. Wade had more than just tape.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                  Hall of Fame Zoner
                  • Jan 2010

any tape on edwards and fitz under jaroun had literally no relevance because the offense was the worst run o in the league.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

There was plenty of past "tape" since Gailey likes "tape" so much, to review and to base this judgment upon. Edwards starting the 2010 season was an enormous WTF!? moment for most fans. But... sports writers and fans did give Gailey the benefit of the doubt... maybe there WAS something about Edwards that was coachable or correctable - but clearly that was NOT the case. The guy stank from the first minute he hit the field.

There was also plenty of tape on Fitzpatrick, who up until 2010 had never had more TD's than INT's in a season. He managed to turn Fitz into a halfway decent QB, and I'm sure he expected to be able to do the same with Edwards.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                      • Sep 2008

Yes, of Edwards playing under another coaching staff - not Gailey's. Chan was known for making lousy QBs serviceable before he came to Buffalo. Stewart, Fiedler and Thigpen jump to mind immediately. He wanted to see if he could do the same with Edwards, and it didn't work out. Gailey realized it quickly and put in Fitzpatrick, who proceeded to have the best season of his career.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Dec 2005

That quote, in context, was referring to the fact that we got smoked in consecutive weeks by the top two teams in our division. I think heading into the New England game, Gailey thought... believed that we would be competitive. Saying we have further to go than he thought means we got smoked when he thought we would have shown up better (as he had reason to given the way we played after the bye). Still, it get's turned into a negative by the Bills "faithful". And for what? Because he had higher expectations than he should have? I'll take it. I want my coach to have high expectations, especially considering how competitive they had been.

As for Trent, f the film. He thought he could get more out of him, as he has with many QBs in the past. He didn't know the Trent was as fragile as they come mentally, nor would he until he had coached him when it counted. This was an experimentation year from day one... we all knew this, yet still some complain. The point was to find out what we had and go from there. Mission ****ing Accomplished.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                          This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                          • Feb 2009

The sky is falling! Our terribly awful team only had four wins!! How could this man not lead us to the playoffs with no defense and a constantly shifting offensive line?!?!

Even Al Davis gave Tom Cable 2 full years. Can't you do the same for Gailey?
                          True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

Working...
                          X