PDA

View Full Version : How about Haynesworth?

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I think this guy can still be every bit as good as he was in Tennessee. When he did get on the field for the Skins he was actually quite good.

Seeing as how we will be a multiple front I think that would be perfect for Haynesworth. He played DE sometimes in Tenn. and I'm sure he would love the idea of playing DT in our 4 man line and playing some DE in our 3 man fronts.

He would be doing that with KW beside him and Merriman off the edge.....

That would be a DL that could get after Tom Brady for once.

Thoughts?

BidsJr
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Hell No.

PromoTheRobot
01-05-2011, 09:56 AM
I think this guy can still be every bit as good as he was in Tennessee. When he did get on the field for the Skins he was actually quite good.

Seeing as how we will be a multiple front I think that would be perfect for Haynesworth. He played DE sometimes in Tenn. and I'm sure he would love the idea of playing DT in our 4 man line and playing some DE in our 3 man fronts.

Thoughts?
Haynesworth was incredible on this play....and by incredible I mean WTF?!?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFzp3uHua40&feature=related

Did you mean Haynesworth was quite good at staying glued to the field?

PTR

SquishDaFish
01-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Hell no dont want his attitude on this team

streetkings01
With the signing of Merriman it's clear we will be a 3-4 defense full time next season. Haynesworth would not want to come here knowing that........there are a ton of 4-3 teams that could use him........Bengals, Texans, Colts, Jags, Titans, Raiders, Giants, Eagles, Bears, Lions, Vikings, Falcons, Panthers, Bucs, Rams and Seahawks are all options for him.......he wont be coming to Buffalo.

TheGhostofJimKelly
I wouldn't want anything to do with that cancer.

streetkings01
01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I could see the Saints and Colts making a run for his services next year.........he instantly turns those defenses into top 10.

THATHURMANATOR
01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Guy is a pure Douche. NO THANKS

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Haynesworth was incredible on this play....and by incredible I mean WTF?!?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFzp3uHua40&feature=related

Did you mean Haynesworth was quite good at staying glued to the field?

PTR
Yeah he had some bad plays but he had some great ones. This guy didn't just suddenly suck. He is still one of the best DL in the league.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2011, 10:15 AM
probably not man, we run a 34

X-Era

Thoughts?I kind of went here yesterday but came to the conclusion that it isn't a fit.

Rotoworld says that the contract is now 5.4 mill next year and that none of the bonus is guaranteed. If I read that right, I read 5.4 mill which is way less that the 10 mill per that the contract seemed to be written for. I'd like to hear someone confirm if I am reading that right. That is very affordable for what you may get:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&line=198096&id=2636

Here's the contract details, someone crack this code for me because it's far from easy to understand:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2636

They also predict it may only take a 5th to get him which again would seem cheap if you get the Titans version of Albert and if he's not a head case but rather a motivated player.

I thought that Nix and Gailey could give him what he wants which is reportedly to not be a 3-4 NT. That we could use him in the 5 technique and let him rush the passer, and hold up against the run.

The problem I had is that we seem to be building character and targeting players with good character. This is a young team and has a coach who is building them into a strong willed, mentally tough team. I'm not sure Gailey will want to jeopardize that with a guy who could cause locker room problems.

If Gailey and Nix felt he can return to form, if they think they can put him in a position he's happy with, if they think they can get the production that they need out of him, and if they can convince themselves that he won't be any trouble at all in helping to build character on this team, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But that's a ton fo if's and I'm not sure we would even be willing to go there.

Forward_Lateral
Haynesworth wants nothing to do with a 3-4 defense. Unless the Bills are going to switch back to a 4-3 (which I doubt), he won't come here.

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
So why is he such a bad character? From what I know he had the stomping incident which was pretty bad but not the first time a player has done something dirty.

Other than that the Washington situation. Personally, I think the Skins were dumb to ask him to play NT. And if you are a player who was considered the best pass rushing DT in the game and then asked to play NT in a 3-4, that is pretty annoying.

He agreed to join the Skins as a FA based on what they had planned for him.

Basically for him, it was like being an executive in a company making a ton of money, then they ask you to go down a few floors and start working on basic accounting and all that grunt work after proving to be the best executive out there. Even if you kept the same salary you would not like that.

Does that example fly with anyone or???

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Haynesworth wants nothing to do with a 3-4 defense. Unless the Bills are going to switch back to a 4-3 (which I doubt), he won't come here.
No, Haynesworth does not want to be a NT. And our defense next year according to Gailey will be multiple. As in divided between playing 3-4 and 4-3.

In that case, Albert could be our DE in the 3-4 and a DT when we are in 4-3 looks. I would say that is a great fit.

This guy just wants to play his position.

X-Era
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Haynesworth wants nothing to do with a 3-4 defense. Unless the Bills are going to switch back to a 4-3 (which I doubt), he won't come here.I don't think that's what he said. I think he said he doesn't want to play NT. Ngata is a huge guy too and doesn't always play the nose.

The Ravens use a guy who's Kyle Williams size in Kelly Gregg as the NT and Ngata who's huge as a 5 technique. It would be potentially a similar situation.

Kelley Gregg is 6' 320:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1926

Haloti Ngata is 6' 4" 350:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9598

Ravens depth chart in the 3-4:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/bal/formation/3-4-defense

Kyle Williams is listed as 6' 1" and 306 but has added weight:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9720

Albert Haynesworth is listed as 6' 6" 335 (he's heavier than that now):
http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3543

BertSquirtgum
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM
i would rather suck someones fart out of their ass

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 10:21 AM
i would rather suck someones fart out of their ass
....interesting....

DraftBoy
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
No thanks on Haynesowrth. Motivational issues, character concerns and not sure he's even a good fit at 3-4 DE given he's a better penetrator than gap controller.

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 10:45 AM
No thanks on Haynesowrth. Motivational issues, character concerns and not sure he's even a good fit at 3-4 DE given he's a better penetrator than gap controller.
Haynesworth was just as good at run defense in Tenn. as he was a penetrator and pass rusher.

DraftBoy
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Haynesworth was just as good at run defense in Tenn. as he was a penetrator and pass rusher.

Yea....however that's has little to no equivalncy to how he'll do in a scheme that doesnt play to his strengths, at a new position, going up against players that are faster and more nimble.

Nobody said he wasnt good in Tennessee, but I dont think he's a good option as a 3-4 DE.

X-Era
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Haynesworth was just as good at run defense in Tenn. as he was a penetrator and pass rusher.Looking more at the contract, it appears to be a monsterous mess of a contract that would pay him top money in the league. Can we really say he's worth that at this point?

The character concerns is probably a killer for this team.

TacklingDummy
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
A motivated, incentive based contract for Haynesworth would be a great fit in Buffalo. If he pulls any crap just cut him.

X-Era
01-05-2011, 10:50 AM
A motivated, incentive based contract for Haynesworth would be a great fit in Buffalo. If he pulls any crap just cut him.If the contract can be completely redone (assuming it isn't incentive based now), and if Nix/Gailey is willing to take on risk to the teams morale and character, fine.

I think if Fisher stays he's headed back there. They were supposedly willing to offer a contract close to what Wash paid and Fisher knows he can turn him around.

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Yea....however that's has little to no equivalncy to how he'll do in a scheme that doesnt play to his strengths, at a new position, going up against players that are faster and more nimble.

Nobody said he wasnt good in Tennessee, but I dont think he's a good option as a 3-4 DE.
Well let's see....

He is 6'6 335 pounds. He can penetrate better than anyone and he is tough against the run.

He has played DT in a 4-3 and DE in a 4-3 and succeeded doing both. He has every qualification needed to play 3-4 DE and then some.

There is no "kind" of linemen that Haynesworth has not faced. He has beaten up on Centers, Guards and Tackles.

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Looking more at the contract, it appears to be a monsterous mess of a contract that would pay him top money in the league. Can we really say he's worth that at this point?

The character concerns is probably a killer for this team.
Merriman was a character concern and a ton of other players in the league have been character concerns yet teams play them and win with them.

Vick comes to mind too.

X-Era
01-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Merriman was a character concern and a ton of other players in the league have been character concerns yet teams play them and win with them.

Vick comes to mind too.I agree. I think, under the right situation, a good argument could be made to do it. I just don't think Nix nor Gailey will be much interested.

DraftBoy
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Well let's see....

He is 6'6 335 pounds. He can penetrate better than anyone and he is tough against the run.

He has played DT in a 4-3 and DE in a 4-3 and succeeded doing both. He has every qualification needed to play 3-4 DE and then some.
There is no "kind" of linemen that Haynesworth has not faced. He has beaten up on Centers, Guards and Tackles.

You mean except that thing like holding up blockers at the POA, keeping his LB's clean, and gap control? The main cogs of being a 3-4 end.

You're making my point for me.

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 01:50 PM
You mean except that thing like holding up blockers at the POA, keeping his LB's clean, and gap control? The main cogs of being a 3-4 end.

You're making my point for me.
Man, football is football if you are solid at the POA in a 4-3 you are solid in a 3-4. Some techniques are different but at the end of the day its football. Pretty sure Haynesworth kept his LBs spotless in Tenn.

Haynesworth is not going to get suddenly pushed around because he is in a different scheme.

Glen Dorsey was a 3-technique (who no one thought could make that conversion) as were Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly. Justin Smith was a pure DE in Cinci and Randy Starks was a pure 4-3 DT.

All those players are now 3-4 DEs but Haynesworth can't?

Jan Reimers
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I may put too much stock in character, chemistry, building a winning culture, etc.

Haynesworth's attitude really scares me in relation to trying to instill those qualities in a young team.

psubills62
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
No thank you.

DraftBoy
01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Man, football is football if you are solid at the POA in a 4-3 you are solid in a 3-4. Some techniques are different but at the end of the day its football. Pretty sure Haynesworth kept his LBs spotless in Tenn.

Haynesworth is not going to get suddenly pushed around because he is in a different scheme.

Glen Dorsey was a 3-technique (who no one thought could make that conversion) as were Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly. Justin Smith was a pure DE in Cinci and Randy Starks was a pure 4-3 DT.

All those players are now 3-4 DEs but Haynesworth can't?

But he's not a solid POA DT in a 4-3, that's why he is known as a penetrator. He's never been a clogger or space eater.

Actually a lot of people thought Dorsey would be good, Jolly as well. Smith was a surprise yes.

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
But he's not a solid POA DT in a 4-3, that's why he is known as a penetrator. He's never been a clogger or space eater.

Actually a lot of people thought Dorsey would be good, Jolly as well. Smith was a surprise yes.
And that is where I disagree. AH has always been tough against the run. Just because he is known as a penetrator it doesn't mean he was not solid at the PoA. AH was amazing at the PoA in Tenn. and a great run stuffer.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
i think we are taking dareus or fairley so we wont get him....

would be exciting though...

better days
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
So why is he such a bad character? From what I know he had the stomping incident which was pretty bad but not the first time a player has done something dirty.

Other than that the Washington situation. Personally, I think the Skins were dumb to ask him to play NT. And if you are a player who was considered the best pass rushing DT in the game and then asked to play NT in a 3-4, that is pretty annoying.

He agreed to join the Skins as a FA based on what they had planned for him.

Basically for him, it was like being an executive in a company making a ton of money, then they ask you to go down a few floors and start working on basic accounting and all that grunt work after proving to be the best executive out there. Even if you kept the same salary you would not like that.

Does that example fly with anyone or???

I agree. I think Shannahan did his level best to make Haynsworth look bad to the public. When he signed his contract he was told he would be playing in a 4-3. Had he known they would switch to a 3-4 a year later, he probably would have signed elseware.

Forward_Lateral
01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
No, Haynesworth does not want to be a NT. And our defense next year according to Gailey will be multiple. As in divided between playing 3-4 and 4-3.

In that case, Albert could be our DE in the 3-4 and a DT when we are in 4-3 looks. I would say that is a great fit.

This guy just wants to play his position.

He doesn't want to play in a 3-4. If you don't understand that, I'm sorry for you. He flat out has said, many times, that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4. He wants to play in a 4-3 as a 3 technique.

Unless you've been living in a cave for the past year, you'd know this.

Forward_Lateral
01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Also, if you think playing DE in a 3-4 is the same as playing the 3 technique in a 4-3 you are way off. It's not even close to the same.

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Also, if you think playing DE in a 3-4 is the same as playing the 3 technique in a 4-3 you are way off. It's not even close to the same.
Where did I say 3 technique and 5 technique were the same?

Mahdi
01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
He doesn't want to play in a 3-4. If you don't understand that, I'm sorry for you. He flat out has said, many times, that he doesn't want to play in a 3-4. He wants to play in a 4-3 as a 3 technique.

Unless you've been living in a cave for the past year, you'd know this.
His problem was playing NT, not necessarily with playing in the 3-4. Skins wanted him to take on double teams all day.

Plus as Gailey said, we won't be a pure 3-4 which means we will play plenty of 4-3.

Where have you been?

DraftBoy
01-05-2011, 09:35 PM
His problem was playing NT, not necessarily with playing in the 3-4. Skins wanted him to take on double teams all day.

Plus as Gailey said, we won't be a pure 3-4 which means we will play plenty of 4-3.

Where have you been?

He never said we would play plenty of 4-3. Nobody has any idea what we are going to actually look like defensively. We will see both looks but nobody knows how much we'll see of each.

psubills62
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
He never said we would play plenty of 4-3. Nobody has any idea what we are going to actually look like defensively. We will see both looks but nobody knows how much we'll see of each.

Considering he specifically referenced Cleveland and KC, two teams that run exclusively 3-4 looks, I have a feeling we'll be slight majority 3-4, with 4-3 looks thrown in. Just my gut instinct.

Forward_Lateral
01-06-2011, 06:14 AM
Where did I say 3 technique and 5 technique were the same?

You insinuated it.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2011, 06:18 AM
haynesworth wants to penetrate, not 2gap... he is a great great pass rusher when motivated... if buffalo switches to the 43 then maybe he comes here, i highly doubt it....

jamze132
01-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Lets be realistic. It's Albert Haynesworth. Albert ain't playin' for no Bills!