PDA

View Full Version : Bucs, QB Johnson Finalize New Deal

Gunzlingr
06-19-2003, 08:40 AM
TAMPA - Brad Johnson led the Bucs to a Super Bowl title. Now his salary reflects his importance to the team.
Tampa Bay's starting quarterback finally got his new contract Wednesday, four months after the Bucs' first attempt at restructuring the deal.

Johnson, who had three years remaining on his original five-year contract, received a new four-year deal worth $25 million, including a $6 million signing bonus. The move frees up nearly $1.5 million in salary cap money.

Including the signing bonus, Johnson will earn $8.5 million this season, ranking him fourth among the NFL's highest-paid quarterbacks.

``We have reached many of the goals I sought out to accomplish when I came here as a Buccaneer during free agency,'' Johnson said. ``But there are many more goals here to be achieved.

``I'm extremely happy with what we accomplished in the first year under Coach [Jon] Gruden.''

Johnson flourished in Gruden's offense last season, leading the NFC with a 92.9 quarterback rating and earning his second trip to the Pro Bowl.

Johnson also set team records with 22 touchdown passes, a 62.3 completion percentage and only six interceptions

more (http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGAUE3704HD.html)