PDA

View Full Version : It's That Time Of Year Again Where Many Become Polarized By One Player Or Position

Night Train
01-06-2011, 04:55 AM
I wouldn't mind a QB but up top I can hardly be upset if it's BPA with a leaning towards a DE, DT. The amount of postions that need upgrading are multiple and may take 2 more off-seasons to fill anyhow.

Just get some talented players to replace the many pretenders. If it's QB, fine. If not, I don't wish to hear how many of you " know better ". We won't know anything about this last draft for at least 2 years.

Go Bills.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-06-2011, 05:22 AM
mallett, gabbert and newton are all tempting but im not sure they are worth the 3rd pick...

give me dareus or fairley and i will be happy. however if there is a chance we can get luck, then get it done...

X-Era
01-06-2011, 06:19 AM
I wouldn't mind a QB but up top I can hardly be upset if it's BPA with a leaning towards a DE, DT. The amount of postions that need upgrading are multiple and may take 2 more off-seasons to fill anyhow.

Just get some talented players to replace the many pretenders. If it's QB, fine. If not, I don't wish to hear how many of you " know better ". We won't know anything about this last draft for at least 2 years.

Go Bills.Absolutely agree. Locking into one position or player is a great way to reach. I think it's also important to realize that players will continue to move up and down in rank as we get closer to draft day.

Beebe's Kid
01-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Absolutely agree. Locking into one position or player is a great way to reach. I think it's also important to realize that players will continue to move up and down in rank as we get closer to draft day.

I was thinking about this yesterday... Players will continue to move, even though none of them are playing football. I was listening to Bulldog and Joe B on WGR yesterday, and they were talking about Locker and how he is going to shoot up the ranks at the combine... the guy crumbles in games, but will throw passes in shorts to receivers in shorts, with no pressure, no reads to make, and most importantly...no game to win, and that will raise his stock??

jamze132
01-06-2011, 06:31 AM
I just love how players can raise or lower their stock during the physically and mentally demanding offseason.

**** Kiper.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 07:21 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday... Players will continue to move, even though none of them are playing football. I was listening to Bulldog and Joe B on WGR yesterday, and they were talking about Locker and how he is going to shoot up the ranks at the combine... the guy crumbles in games, but will throw passes in shorts to receivers in shorts, with no pressure, no reads to make, and most importantly...no game to win, and that will raise his stock??This is directed at you and Jamze.

I think what happens is that scouts go out and do the homework and develop a rating on a player. They talk to coaches, they watch games, they rank different attributes on how a player plays. Scouts can estimate measurables or can go off old information obtained from workouts at the university.

But things can change. You can see players improve their stock by putting up better numbers than anticipated. Players will "wow" at the Combine by lifting more, running faster, weighing in heavier, jumping higher, etc... In some cases it can be important. Speed matters more at some positions than others. It's also not unheard of to see a university put out numbers that don't show up at the Combine. WR's and RB's can sometimes be reported to run sub 4.4's and then show up and consistently run 4.5's. If you're targeting a speedy receiver, that could drop your rank on him. Again, it's not black and white. It's infrequent that a player would go from 1st round consideration to undrafted because they ran a 4.5 instead of a 4.4. But it can affect a ranking enough to bump them down a round or 2. Universities also fudge on the height and weight and we see that every year as well. That can be more important on the lines, but certainly at every position. If your investing as much money as teams do, and banking on a player so much to draft them, you want as close to prototypical as possible. Sure, if a player can play, they can play. But let's remember, they are also jumping up another level in competition when they go to the NFL. They aren't playing in the MAC anymore, they are playing against colleges best of the best (theoretically). Teams develop as complete a picture as the can to make the most informed decision. It's a lot of money, and can really affect the fortunes of your team. But it's also a crap-shoot. Teams won't ignore the information or simply not collect it at all, it's a piece of the puzzle. How big a piece? That's up to each team to decide.

At QB it's a bit more difficult. Because as you said, throwing footballs in shorts isn't the game setting. This debate raged on last year on Tebow. Everyone knew he was a winner, but his mechanics were horrible. Then he gets to the Combine and in workouts and shows a whole new throwing motion. If he fixed his mechanics, he would potentially be the whole package. Without it, you could be looking at a guy who can't make every NFL throw or who will rack up picks with the slow windup. That alone could make the difference of several rounds or maybe even more.

The more frequent scenario with QB's is that teams will find they don't like a players demeanor, mental markup, or approach to the game when they meet him in person. Reports came out that teams weren't so fond of Clausen's attitude last year. At QB, teams care about what type of person they may be giving the keys to the car to. This may become an issue for either Mallett or Newton.

Or, the team may find that the QB can indeed make every NFL throw even though they rarely had the chance in their dink and dunk college offense.

With Locker, I think the hype will rise because of what he will run in the 40, and when he gets to showcase his arm strength. He's extremely athletic. I think this will cause teams to rethink how much of a risk he is. A team may decide that they think his inconsistencies can be fixed and that they can coach it out of him. And then, like Tebow, they may think he could become a franchise QB. It's risk reward. It's a matter of a team seeing first hand what Locker can do athletically and envisioning a) that they can fix his issues, and b) that they can exploit him and drastically improve their football team in the future.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 07:31 AM
I just love how players can raise or lower their stock during the physically and mentally demanding offseason.

**** Kiper.BTW, the teams are doing the picking, not Kiper. And players are drafted higher and lower than expected every year.

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I am not yet polarized. I am open to a couple different options. I like where we sit. I will not be happy with a corner or WR however.

better days
01-06-2011, 08:37 AM
I am not yet polarized. I am open to a couple different options. I like where we sit. I will not be happy with a corner or WR however.

I was about to post the exact same thing. Those are the only 2 positions I would not be happy with. The only thing is I doubt the Bills get a pick this high again so if they think a guy can be the franchise QB in this draft maybe they should draft him even if it is called a reach.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 08:42 AM
I was about to post the exact same thing. Those are the only 2 positions I would not be happy with. The only thing is I doubt the Bills get a pick this high again so if they think a guy can be the franchise QB in this draft maybe they should draft him even if it is called a reach.Remember that you said this... I think as things progress leading up to the draft, you will hear this more and more. I think you will hear pundits and maybe even the Bills say the same thing (minus the reach part). And it could end up that a prospect is deemed a viable potential franchise QB and worthy of the 3 pick. It's not a given, but I can easily see this.

jamze132
01-06-2011, 09:21 AM
BTW, the teams are doing the picking, not Kiper. And players are drafted higher and lower than expected every year.
Dude, I know this.

But we are the ones who have to sit here and read everyday about a certain player on Kiper or Mayock's mock who is all of the sudden rising! It's gay.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Dude, I know this.

But we are the ones who have to sit here and read everyday about a certain player on Kiper or Mayock's mock who is all of the sudden rising! It's gay.I can understand this sentiment.

Dr. Lecter
01-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Dude, I know this.

But we are the ones who have to sit here and read everyday about a certain player on Kiper or Mayock's mock who is all of the sudden rising! It's gay.

Somebody is forcing you to read all of it?

Interesting......

mybills
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
They did such a great job at picking the last 2 QB's. :ill:

Commissioner
01-06-2011, 10:22 AM
I want a QB with the #3 pick. There are too many teams looking for QB's this year. All the top prospects will be off the board by the time we pick again.

They need to figure out who they think is the best of the bunch after Luck... and bite the bullet and take him at #3. Go defense the rest of the draft.

I'm sick of watching 8-8 QB's.

mayotm
01-06-2011, 10:29 AM
I want a QB with the #3 pick. There are too many teams looking for QB's this year. All the top prospects will be off the board by the time we pick again.

They need to figure out who they think is the best of the bunch after Luck... and bite the bullet and take him at #3. Go defense the rest of the draft.

I'm sick of watching 8-8 QB's.I don't get this mentality. The Bills should not take a QB at three, just for the sake of taking a QB. If they feel somebody other than Luck is good enough at three fine. Otherwise, fill another need and get a QB later in the draft.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't get this mentality. The Bills should not take a QB at three, just for the sake of taking a QB. If they feel somebody other than Luck is good enough at three fine. Otherwise, fill another need and get a QB later in the draft.It has to a prospect worthy of the pick. Will someone be ranked that high when all is said and done? I can see it. But that may not happen. Point is I don't think we can say for sure right now.

Whysoserious?
01-06-2011, 10:34 AM

I'm sick of watching 8-8 QB's.

ya well i am tired of no pass rush.

mayotm
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
It has to a prospect worthy of the pick. Will someone be ranked that high when all is said and done? I can see it. But that may not happen. Point is I don't think we can say for sure right now.Re-read my original post. I stated if the Bills feel a QB is worthy at 3 I'm fine with it. I don't agree with the people that are stating the Bills HAVE to take a QB at 3.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Re-read my original post. I stated if the Bills feel a QB is worthy at 3 I'm fine with it. I don't agree with the people that are stating the Bills HAVE to take a QB at 3.I did, and I don't think I disagreed with you.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
oh shoot I'm polarized

jamze132
01-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Somebody is forcing you to read all of it?

Interesting......
Well just last night DB had a gun to my head forcing me to watch Joique Bell highlights. So yeah.

jamze132
01-06-2011, 11:09 AM
This is directed at you and Jamze.

I think what happens is that scouts go out and do the homework and develop a rating on a player. They talk to coaches, they watch games, they rank different attributes on how a player plays. Scouts can estimate measurables or can go off old information obtained from workouts at the university.

But things can change. You can see players improve their stock by putting up better numbers than anticipated. Players will "wow" at the Combine by lifting more, running faster, weighing in heavier, jumping higher, etc... In some cases it can be important. Speed matters more at some positions than others. It's also not unheard of to see a university put out numbers that don't show up at the Combine. WR's and RB's can sometimes be reported to run sub 4.4's and then show up and consistently run 4.5's. If you're targeting a speedy receiver, that could drop your rank on him. Again, it's not black and white. It's infrequent that a player would go from 1st round consideration to undrafted because they ran a 4.5 instead of a 4.4. But it can affect a ranking enough to bump them down a round or 2. Universities also fudge on the height and weight and we see that every year as well. That can be more important on the lines, but certainly at every position. If your investing as much money as teams do, and banking on a player so much to draft them, you want as close to prototypical as possible. Sure, if a player can play, they can play. But let's remember, they are also jumping up another level in competition when they go to the NFL. They aren't playing in the MAC anymore, they are playing against colleges best of the best (theoretically). Teams develop as complete a picture as the can to make the most informed decision. It's a lot of money, and can really affect the fortunes of your team. But it's also a crap-shoot. Teams won't ignore the information or simply not collect it at all, it's a piece of the puzzle. How big a piece? That's up to each team to decide.

At QB it's a bit more difficult. Because as you said, throwing footballs in shorts isn't the game setting. This debate raged on last year on Tebow. Everyone knew he was a winner, but his mechanics were horrible. Then he gets to the Combine and in workouts and shows a whole new throwing motion. If he fixed his mechanics, he would potentially be the whole package. Without it, you could be looking at a guy who can't make every NFL throw or who will rack up picks with the slow windup. That alone could make the difference of several rounds or maybe even more.

The more frequent scenario with QB's is that teams will find they don't like a players demeanor, mental markup, or approach to the game when they meet him in person. Reports came out that teams weren't so fond of Clausen's attitude last year. At QB, teams care about what type of person they may be giving the keys to the car to. This may become an issue for either Mallett or Newton.

Or, the team may find that the QB can indeed make every NFL throw even though they rarely had the chance in their dink and dunk college offense.

With Locker, I think the hype will rise because of what he will run in the 40, and when he gets to showcase his arm strength. He's extremely athletic. I think this will cause teams to rethink how much of a risk he is. A team may decide that they think his inconsistencies can be fixed and that they can coach it out of him. And then, like Tebow, they may think he could become a franchise QB. It's risk reward. It's a matter of a team seeing first hand what Locker can do athletically and envisioning a) that they can fix his issues, and b) that they can exploit him and drastically improve their football team in the future.

In all seriousness, I do agree and understand how the system works. I just really wanted to quote this long ass explanation from you to piss someone off!

And for the record, I like your style!

Commissioner
01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't get this mentality. The Bills should not take a QB at three, just for the sake of taking a QB. If they feel somebody other than Luck is good enough at three fine. Otherwise, fill another need and get a QB later in the draft.

We have so many holes... and could go in any direction.

I just think the top QB prospects are good in this draft.... and think we should get one.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
In all seriousness, I do agree and understand how the system works. I just really wanted to quote this long ass explanation from you to piss someone off!

And for the record, I like your style!:up: