PDA

View Full Version : Not mortgaging the future for Andrew Luck

jamze132
01-06-2011, 08:26 AM
There are a lot of people who realize that Chan Gailey has a way with QBs to bring the best out of them. Hell, he even brought the best out of Edwards, he just sucked balls. So knowing that Chan is good with young QBs, is it absolutley necessary that we attempt to "Ricky Williams" the Panthers for the opportunity to draft Andrew Luck? Couldn't we find some great value in taking either Gabbert or Newton knowing that Chan will get the best out of them?

I am thinking that Chan is going to fall in love with Cam since Cam ran the spread and Chan loves the spread. Say that fast 5 times. Honestly it wouldn't break my heart if we drafted Cam Newton #3 overall but I really, really, really want our defensive front to not suck ass. But that's for another discussion.

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2011, 08:26 AM
I would mortgage everything to get a player like Peyton Manning. Of course there are no guarantees Luck will be that good.

jamze132
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I would mortgage everything to get a player like Peyton Manning. Of course there are no guarantees Luck will be that good.
You missed the point of my thread.

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Especially when Gailey is good with young QBs and can get the most of out of them, image what he could do with Andrew Luck.

better days
01-06-2011, 08:46 AM

I seriously doubt Luck will ever be that good, but I'm not an expert. Who knows? Luck may become a very good NFL QB, but one of the other QB's in this draft may become even better than Luck. There may even be 2 or 3 guys that have a better career than Luck even if Luck has a good career.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Especially when Gailey is good with young QBs and can get the most of out of them, image what he could do with Andrew Luck.You may have to replace the players you would have gotten with those picks with free agents. But, if the guy is what most think he is and solves our QB problem that has plagued us for more than a decade, wouldn't it be nice to put a check mark in that column? It sure would be nice to not have to be talking about the QB position for the next few years or longer. It's all based on potential, but the potential is there with this guy IMO.

Based on what we think at this point, I'm not sure another prospect in this draft could make a bigger impact on this team long term. No, it wouldn't likely be short term, it would be long term.

THATHURMANATOR
01-06-2011, 08:52 AM
You missed the point of my thread.
I tend to do that :(

jamze132
01-06-2011, 09:24 AM
I tend to do that :(
It's understandable.

kelly2reed4six
01-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I seriously doubt Luck will ever be that good, but I'm not an expert. Who knows? Luck may become a very good NFL QB, but one of the other QB's in this draft may become even better than Luck. There may even be 2 or 3 guys that have a better career than Luck even if Luck has a good career.

Agreed. I swear EVERY year there is a QB that "is the best prospect since Peyton Manning." Please! Luck likely will be a very good QB in this league, but no one in the world knows who is going to be the next GREAT QB. He may not even be in this draft class.

I am going to cross my fingers and have faith in whoever Nix decides to pick 3rd overall! He was the "go to guy" for drafting in San Diego and brought in some great talent; so we can all just hope and pray that he strikes gold for us!

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 10:48 AM
yeah let's not mortgage our future for a QB. After all, we've got Fitz.

cpearl
01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm pretty sure there isn't EVER going to be another Peyton Manning. In all probability, he may retire as the best QB ever and hold all QB statistical records.

Crisis
01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
people should go through our 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks the past few years and tell me you wouldn't trade them for the best qb prospect to come out in years

Night Train
01-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm on here stating I like DL named Darius, Fairley and several others at multiple positions. In other words, BPA.

I wouldn't make any noise if the Bills selected Cam Newton, who fits the next generation QB. Big, Strong, mobile. Able to throw on the run. A guy who can carry a team and plays big in the clutch. ( unlike Mallet ).

Don't trade up. Not with multiple holes on the roster.