PDA

View Full Version : ****Pat Devlin National Title Game Scouting Thread****

DraftBoy
01-06-2011, 10:37 AM
For the third QB that many fans like. Unlike the other bums in their little bowl games, Devlin is playing for a National title.

Game is Friday night at 7:00pm on ESPN2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Pat_Devlin2.jpg/250px-Pat_Devlin2.jpg

DraftBoy
01-06-2011, 10:39 AM
My report on Devlin:
http://newsite.draftnasty.com/football_content/conferences/fcs-div2-div3/pat-devlin/ (DN Members Only)

My Q&A with Devlin;
http://newsite.draftnasty.com/index.php?cID=2531

Devlin Named to Our Pre-Season All-Small School Team, Also named OPOY;
http://draftnasty.com/football/conferences/acc/wealth-of-untapped-talent-on-our-all-small-school-team/

Needless to say I like this kid as a prospect a little bit, and Ive been following him for two years now.

Novacane
01-06-2011, 11:16 AM
What round do your project him going in?

DraftBoy
01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
What round do your project him going in?

Depending on tomorrow night, his workouts, and his all-star performances. Im saying 2-4 right now.

He's playing in the East-West Shrine game and possibly in the Senior Bowl as well.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Here's my guy, I can't wait to watch it. He's had an incredible season and should be a great game.

ZAZusmc03
01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
I've really liked him since a few guys brought him up. The kid is amazing in the small school setting, giving.me the impression that he can make it at the next level. If he were only slightly better, of have questions. But of we could take him in the 2nd or third allowing.us to go front 7 in the first or 1st and 2nd, I'd be pumped.

Nighthawk
01-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Ehhh...

BuffaloBlitz83
01-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Biggest strength...

Biggest weakness...

Comparable to which qb...

DraftBoy
01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Biggest strength...

Biggest weakness...

Comparable to which qb...

Strength-Accuracy

Weakness-Downfield Vision

Not really sure at this point.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Strength-Accuracy

Not really sure at this point.

Thanks

camelcowboy
01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Strength-Accuracy

Not really sure at this point.Let me help you, sounds like Trent Edwards to me.

DraftBoy
01-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Let me help you, sounds like Trent Edwards to me.

Clearly you've never seen Devlin play.

Philagape
01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
From what I've read so far, I like him better than Mallett. I'm looking forward to watching the tape. Going defense in the first round and then taking Devlin later may be the best value scenario.

Night Train
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up, DB. Just programmed the DVR.

Mad Max
01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
He's going to the East-West Shrine game as well. So he has two opportunities to show something on a national stage (the latter against some top level talent).

http://www.bluehens.com/teams/football/stories/2011/january/010511a.html

bigdog72ny
01-06-2011, 09:18 PM
dont see the hype you guys are giving this guy.

BillsWin
01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
I LOVE Devlin. Haven't changed my signature in months. Love this kid. Would jump all over him and rounds 2-3.

TigerJ
01-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Walter Cherepinsky of www.walterfootball.com (http://www.walterfootball.com) said that he really likes Devlin. The one negative that he noted was a tendency to hold o to the ball too long. The comment is in his mock draft, where he has Buffalo picking Devlin in round 2. Devlin hasn't had a lot of time under center in college compared to some QBs who come out. Perhaps that has something to do with his downfield vision and holding on to the ball. The thing is, the only QB who didn't have obvious warts was Luck. Nobody else is any where near as polished or ready to play the pro game. The problem with warts is it's very difficult to determine conclusively which warts you can treat successfully, and which ones you're going to be stuck with. That's not to say Devlin wouldn't be a good pick. It's just that there's a risk factor you can't avoid.

DraftBoy
01-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Walter Cherepinsky of www.walterfootball.com (http://www.walterfootball.com) said that he really likes Devlin. The one negative that he noted was a tendency to hold o to the ball too long. The comment is in his mock draft, where he has Buffalo picking Devlin in round 2. Devlin hasn't had a lot of time under center in college compared to some QBs who come out. Perhaps that has something to do with his downfield vision and holding on to the ball. The thing is, the only QB who didn't have obvious warts was Luck. Nobody else is any where near as polished or ready to play the pro game. The problem with warts is it's very difficult to determine conclusively which warts you can treat successfully, and which ones you're going to be stuck with. That's not to say Devlin wouldn't be a good pick. It's just that there's a risk factor you can't avoid.

Also lacks any kind of dynamic weapon in the passing game. He throws his WR's open, by hitting them in tight spots in stride.

BertSquirtgum
01-06-2011, 10:18 PM
does anybody think can we get this guy in the 3rd round? i was doing some reading on him and he seems like a great prospect.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 07:32 AM
does anybody think can we get this guy in the 3rd round? i was doing some reading on him and he seems like a great prospect.

A lot depends on tonight and how he preforms on National TV. He's going to have another shot at the E-W Shrine Game to work under center more and show off his mechanics but everything starts tonight. Like I said above right now you gotta think somewhere between round 2 and 4. He starts lighting it up, that window starts narrowing on Round 2.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 07:32 AM
My preview of tonight's FCS Title Game;
http://tinyurl.com/26fqrzy

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 07:39 AM
Also a quick head's up most of my comments tonight will be on Twitter, as Ill be live tweeting the game and my prospect thoughts on my Twitter account for my job. You can follow me if you would like @Matthewcelder . Ill be taking questions all night long and giving instant analysis as I see it.

We are going to get started at 6pm est with some good primer info.

HAMMER
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
How did he play?

psubills62
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
How did he play?

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 11:36 AM
How did he play?

The game is at 7pm tonight on ESPN2.

BillsWin
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Come on Patty D! Show em what you got.

we are
01-07-2011, 12:10 PM
he's one of those "15 yard handoff" type of qb's...meaning he can usually put the ball exactly where he wants it.

everytime i watch him play he makes a throw that makes me say "damn"

HAMMER
01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
The game is at 7pm tonight on ESPN2.

Doh, my bad.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Doh, my bad.

No problem, now you can watch him live yourself. :up:

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Game time bump!

X-Era
01-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Game time bump!If any of you are able to, I'd suggest you watch Devlin.

Bills Juggernaut
01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Captain checkdown!!!!!!!!!!

X-Era
01-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Captain checkdown!!!!!!!!!!One drive, hang in there.

TheBrownBear
01-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Captain checkdown!!!!!!!!!!

Lol...that was my initial impression as well. But he did what he needed to get his team down for the score. (or rather that #30 guy did).

Mad Bomber
01-07-2011, 07:24 PM
For the third QB that many fans like. Unlike the other bums in their little bowl games, Devlin is playing for a National title.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Pat_Devlin2.jpg/250px-Pat_Devlin2.jpg
I was impressed with the way he played in the first half. His accuracy is amazing...he hits his receivers in stride. Not one bad pass the whole half. He also goes through his progressions quickly and doesn't stare down receivers. I like the way he runs out his play fakes.

He didn't throw a pass more than 15 yards down field. Can he throw the long ball?

X-Era
01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I was impressed with the way he played in the first half. His accuracy is amazing...he hits his receivers in stride. Not one bad pass the whole half. He also goes through his progressions quickly and doesn't stare down receivers. I like the way he runs out his play fakes.

He didn't throw a pass more than 15 yards down field. Can he throw the long ball?He definitely managed the game well.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM

He didn't throw a pass more than 15 yards down field. Can he throw the long ball?

Can he? Yes, he just doesn't very often.

Part is his offensive scheme, but he goes through his progressions too quickly for many deep routes to develop.

Mad Bomber
01-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Can he? Yes, he just doesn't very often.

Part is his offensive scheme, but he goes through his progressions too quickly for many deep routes to develop.
That and his accuracy are what has impressed me most.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
with all due respect, i see nothing to make me want to draft this kid.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 08:19 PM
****ing Twitter kicked me off for too many status updates...bastard system!

Mad Max
01-07-2011, 08:19 PM
with all due respect, i see nothing to make me want to draft this kid.

This. Not that he's bad, just a whole lot of meh.

Nothing remarkable in any part of his game.

elltrain22
01-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Ok, I have a new man crush b/c this kid is sick. He is terrific. By far and away, the QB trait that is most important, accuracy, he is friggen pinpoint everytime. He can make all the throws. DB, he does in deed throw a very tight spiral everytime, and def' throws his receievers open almost everytime. I also love his ability to make plays w/ his feet. He has ideal height, weight, and I would absolutely love this guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Only thing is, I see him shining in all star games, and possibly getting drafted in round 1, especially since so many teams need QB's. Think about it, Miami, SF, Wash, Cincie, Tenn, Minn, Sea, and Arizona all need QB's. Not to say all that all of these 8 teams get QB's first round, but by round 3 all these teams, IMO, will draft a QB. Devlin, at worst, is probably graded as the 7th or 8th best passer in this years draft, and at best some teams may have him 2, 3, or 4. IMHO, I see him going very late rd 1 or early 2.

BertSquirtgum
01-07-2011, 08:50 PM
i forgot about the game. i just turned it on and e. washington just scored. how has he been playing?

Bangarang
01-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I wasn't overly impressed. There are parts of his game that I like. Was it just me or does he not look comfortable running out of the shot gun every play?

wmoz11
01-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Turned away when it was 19-0. That was dumb.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
01-07-2011, 09:50 PM
seriously... hes facing 2nd rate defenses... minor leagers at best... no reason to think hes NFL worthy

BertSquirtgum
01-07-2011, 10:10 PM
yeah, i wouldn't draft him any earlier than the 4th.

Mad Max
01-07-2011, 10:11 PM
seriously... hes facing 2nd rate defenses... minor leagers at best... no reason to think hes NFL worthy

I'm not at all a Mallett fan, but I would take him all day every day over someone like this guy.

We could be wrong, and he turns out special, but I think he ends up being a nice clipboard holder for someone, a Brooks Bollinger, maybe Kyle Orton type.

I certainly would hope that we don't try to build our Franchise around him or anyone with an equivalent skill set.

BidsJr
01-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm not at all a Mallett fan, but I would take him all day every day over someone like this guy.

We could be wrong, and he turns out special, but I think he ends up being a nice clipboard holder for someone, a Brooks Bollinger, maybe Kyle Orton type.

I certainly would hope that we don't try to build our Franchise around him or anyone with an equivalent skill set.

yes

X-Era
01-08-2011, 07:12 AM
He did a nice job of managing the offense. He threw tight spirals and found the open guys by reading the defense. His game management was impressive. Mechanics were good, arm strength was decent but not great. It would have been nice to see him light up the field but that didn't happen. I see him being a 3rd or 4th rounder. I think he will battle with Ponder to be the 5th QB taken.

alohabillsfan
01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Sounds like a fit for a west coast offense...

Nighthawk
01-08-2011, 09:09 AM
He did a nice job of managing the offense. He threw tight spirals and found the open guys by reading the defense. His game management was impressive. Mechanics were good, arm strength was decent but not great. It would have been nice to see him light up the field but that didn't happen. I see him being a 3rd or 4th rounder. I think he will battle with Ponder to be the 5th QB taken.

Actually, he didn't and that stuck out to me...not that it would make me less likely to draft him. However, there was nothing that struck me as him being a standout player. He looks just like all the other QBs drafted later in the draft...a project.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Actually, he didn't and that stuck out to me...not that it would make me less likely to draft him. However, there was nothing that struck me as him being a standout player. He looks just like all the other QBs drafted later in the draft...a project.So, for the throws I watched, they looked good to me. I didn't watch the whole game. I have watched many of his games. But I have him on DVR so I can look closer.

Nighthawk
01-08-2011, 09:19 AM
So, for the throws I watched, they looked good to me. I didn't watch the whole game. I have watched many of his games. But I have him on DVR so I can look closer.

Yeah, most of his passes were wobblers. I just wasn't overly impressed with him...

X-Era
01-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Yeah, most of his passes were wobblers. I just wasn't overly impressed with him...So, in this game he didn't light up the field and take the game over. I think that would have been nice to see but isn't necessarily the end of the story. I would have loved to have seen him win the game with the game on the line. He didn't do that. But that isn't the complete story on him. I think his game management skills overall warrant a look from an NFL team.

Like with any prospect, I think it's the whole story. Devlin is a decent looking prospect who has potential issues like all of the QB's in this class do. Right now I think he's the 5th rated QB in the class. It'snot black and white, it's a scale. I put him down farther than other but like anyone he has a chance to become something in the NFL.

Mad Bomber
01-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Turned away when it was 19-0. That was dumb.
I did the same thing. Turned to the Cotton Bowl (I'm an LSU alum) and flipped back and forth between the games. Delaware blew it.

Mad Max
01-08-2011, 02:15 PM
So, in this game he didn't light up the field and take the game over. I think that would have been nice to see but isn't necessarily the end of the story. I would have loved to have seen him win the game with the game on the line. He didn't do that. But that isn't the complete story on him. I think his game management skills overall warrant a look from an NFL team.

Like with any prospect, I think it's the whole story. Devlin is a decent looking prospect who has potential issues like all of the QB's in this class do. Right now I think he's the 5th rated QB in the class. It'snot black and white, it's a scale. I put him down farther than other but like anyone he has a chance to become something in the NFL.

See that's damning with faint praise.

Game managers are a dime a dozen. Ken Dorsey, Josh Heupel, Alex Van Pelt, ahem Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I don't want a game manager, I want a fkin HERO.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 03:28 PM
See that's damning with faint praise.

Game managers are a dime a dozen. Ken Dorsey, Josh Heupel, Alex Van Pelt, ahem Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I don't want a game manager, I want a fkin HERO.I said an NFL team, doesn't necessarily mean he's the best fit for us.

Mad Max
01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I said an NFL team, doesn't necessarily mean he's the best fit for us.

I know you didn't I was just carrying on the "general" discussion.

Nighthawk
01-08-2011, 03:36 PM
I know you didn't I was just carrying on the "general" discussion.

I just don't see anything special from him that you couldn't get out of another development project in this draft.

DraftBoy
01-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Haven't had the chance to post my thoughts on him yet, but Ive watched the game three times now so here we go;
-His pass accuracy and efficiency is out of this world. He is effective at progressing through his reads, and finding the open man.
-He throws his man open, if you watch one of the Delaware drives in the second half on a goalline pass he throws a floater to the back shoulder of the TE who was originally on a route to the flat. He saw the DB's head was turned and tried to lead his man to the open space. The pass almost connected too, it was a very heady play.
-His lack of arm strength is very concerning to me, he only attempted three passes over 20 yards. Two were complete on post patterns across the middle while the third was a poorly thrown deep ball that died and was way short.
-Devlin's ability to read coverage and make the right throw beyond the intermediate zone is a huge issue. He wound up on one play to go deep but tucked the ball, he needs to trust himself more on that ball and let it rip.

Part of Devlin's issue is that he's too good in his offense which is predicated on the ability of the QB to hit short quick passes out of the three step drop. But he needs to let his reads progress more. He flips through routes like he is going through a check list. He needs to get his WR's more time to work, which is a system thing.

Bills41
01-12-2011, 08:08 PM
He looks like a good prospect to me. He took over for Joe Flacco of the Ravens at Delaware.