PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck Returning to School!

methos4ever
01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Ka-boom. Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth commence....

http://twitter.com/#!/CardinalReport/status/23099736022056960

Luck -"I'm committed to earning my degree in architectural design and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring of '12"

And the official per Stanford Athletics:

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010611aac.html

Slim
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
LOL CAROLINA.

Static
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Wow, there goes the Panther's cash cow, now there 1st round pick isn't worth so much.

psubills62
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Haha...I'm so glad we got our 4 wins. Wouldn't want to be drafting #1 now.

soapman
01-06-2011, 01:39 PM
What a fn idiot

Mahdi
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Yeah really, drafting #1 now is not such a good spot. 3-5 is perfect. This is not wise on Luck's part. Right now he is as high as he is going to get in terms of a prospect. The only thing he increases now is risk of injury or poor play with an uncertain future at Stanford.

T-Long
01-06-2011, 01:41 PM
you can get your degree later. WOW.

Mindbender
yup, i like the Bills draft position a ton more now.

Night Train
:rofl: at all his boyfriends here..

"MY PRECIOUS !"

Demon
Time to tank next season... lol

RockStar36
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Crazy decision by Luck (imo) but now I'm soooooo glad the Bills didn't tank to get the #1.

Mahdi
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
This means Patrick Peterson could go #1! or Bowers.

better days
01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Now the question is does Harbaugh stay? If not, I think Luck made a HUGE mistake. I think it is a mistake to stay anyway but a much bigger mistake if Harbaugh leaves.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I guess the Start Brohm Petition will line-up the street in Buffalo in 2011 season ...

methos4ever
01-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah really, drafting #1 now is not such a good spot. 3-5 is perfect. This is not wise on Luck's part. Right now he is as high as he is going to get in terms of a prospect. The only thing he increases now is risk of injury or poor play with an uncertain future at Stanford.
Bradford was annointed number one pick, he went back, GOT HURT...and still went number 1.

If the slotting comes in as Peter King speculates, he's skipping out on a 5 year/15 mil deal instead of the 80 mil with 55 on the table...

methos4ever
01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
you can get your degree later. WOW.
It's like King says T-Long...

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing/status/23100712594448384

Luck logic: 1 Always said he wanted to stay 4 yrs; next yr would be 4th yr ... 2 Unusual kid. 3.5 gpa in Arch. Engineering. Loves school ...

It might be strange to some of us, but to him that's where his priorities are. Bravo.

bigbub2352
01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
mallett or newton or Dline now for sure

Mr. Pink
01-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I wonder if Gabbert will make any of the mocks as the #1 pick now.

If the Panthers want a QB watch out for Jake Locker going number 1.

:rofl:

psubills62
01-06-2011, 01:49 PM
This is actually a good decision by Luck, in my opinion. First, the labor uncertainty is very significant. Second, the success rate of QB's who come out as redshirt sophomores is very, very low. Third, as someone mentioned, if he's as good of a prospect as advertised (like Bradford), then he'll still go #1 overall next year.

There are plenty of reasons he would want to go back to school, and I believe he made the right choice.

mikemac2001
01-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Thank god sick of all these luck post's

kingJofNYC
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Definitely, now we can over other which player, instead reading crazy trade proposals.

Take Green @ 3, **** addressing the run D, we need teams to hang 40 on us so we can get Luck next year!...hahaha

Beebe's Kid
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
so, is this going to cost us another pick to trade up for him?

Maybe he drops to 32, where we are picking next year...

don137
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Not sure why people are laughing at Carolina because if they opened there eyes this hurts Buffalo in a few ways. This means one less player available and the Panthers could end up taking the player the Bills covet. The Bills also needs a QB and with the Titans almost guaranteed to take a QB if the Panthers take a QB it means it is very unlikely a good QB can drop to the Bills in round two.
This decision could cost Luck tens of millions of dollars due to a rookie salary cap will most likely be implemented in 2012 and not in the 2011 draft. May not be the smartest decision from a monetary standpoint but you have to respect his decision.

better days
01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
This is actually a good decision by Luck, in my opinion. First, the labor uncertainty is very significant. Second, the success rate of QB's who come out as redshirt sophomores is very, very low. Third, as someone mentioned, if he's as good of a prospect as advertised (like Bradford), then he'll still go #1 overall next year.

There are plenty of reasons he would want to go back to school, and I believe he made the right choice.

I agree about the success of sophmores, but if a new coach comes in with a new system, that will only set him back & that system may not suit his ability as much as Harbaughs not to mention he could get injured.

trapezeus
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Bradford knew that the CBA wasn't going after rookie signing pools. he took a calculated risk but still signed in a broken rookie signing system.

Luck will be missing out on the ridiculous payday if everything else remains the same about his slotting next year. Then you add injury risk, some other sensation climbs the ladder.

I'm an old school guy. i think you strike when the going is good.

To recover the lost money, he'll have to perform at a high level during his 5 years. And to that extent, i think he has a better chance of getting hurt and getting stuck on a crumby team which could affect his free agency.

Jeff1220
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM

It might be strange to some of us, but to him that's where his priorities are. Bravo.

I'm an educator and I don't get this. His earning potential may never be higher. He can finish a degree while playing. Many have done it. I just don't know how someone can risk this sort of opportunity - a chance to be a top pick and make your family financially set for generations. He must really not want to play for Carolina, Denver, or Buffalo. :idunno:

X-Era
01-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I wonder if Gabbert will make any of the mocks as the #1 pick now.

If the Panthers want a QB watch out for Jake Locker going number 1.

:rofl:Shefter and McShay just talked about it. I don't think so, but Gabbert to us at 3 may have just gotten more realistic. It all depends if Gabbert ends up the consensus #1 QB.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Well to increase odds of getting Luck(y) next year, the Bills should trade down from #3 to get another first rounder next year. Trade away #34 overall for a next year first rounder. So we'll have 3 chances of getting Luck(y) next year.

Mindbender
01-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Yea, pretty sure I would have gone for the possible millions.

better days
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm an educator and I don't get this. His earning potential may never be higher. He can finish a degree while playing. Many have done it. I just don't know how someone can risk this sort of opportunity - a chance to be a top pick and make your family financially set for generations. He must really not want to play for Carolina, Denver, or Buffalo. :idunno:

Well if he is a top pick again next year, the team that drafts him won't be any better. Maybe his plan is to tank his season next year so he drops like a brick & a good team drafts him at the end of rnd 1.

psubills62
01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
I agree about the success of sophmores, but if a new coach comes in with a new system, that will only set him back & that system may not suit his ability as much as Harbaughs not to mention he could get injured.

Maybe. I believe Matt Ryan went to a new system his senior year (or was it that he lost a bunch of teammates? Can't remember), and still went 3rd overall.

NFL people will know if he goes to a new system, and take that into account. I don't think playing under a different coach is going to ruin him as a prospect - NFL FO personnel will still know that he's not worth passing on.

djjimkelly
01-06-2011, 01:58 PM
ok front seven it is!!!!!!!!

this 3-4 gonna start coming together now!!!

better days
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Maybe. I believe Matt Ryan went to a new system his senior year (or was it that he lost a bunch of teammates? Can't remember), and still went 3rd overall.

NFL people will know if he goes to a new system, and take that into account. I don't think playing under a different coach is going to ruin him as a prospect - NFL FO personnel will still know that he's not worth passing on.

Brian Brohm had a new HC & different system & it cost him.

psubills62
01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Bradford knew that the CBA wasn't going after rookie signing pools. he took a calculated risk but still signed in a broken rookie signing system.

Luck will be missing out on the ridiculous payday if everything else remains the same about his slotting next year. Then you add injury risk, some other sensation climbs the ladder.

I'm an old school guy. i think you strike when the going is good.

To recover the lost money, he'll have to perform at a high level during his 5 years. And to that extent, i think he has a better chance of getting hurt and getting stuck on a crumby team which could affect his free agency.

1) I don't think it's guaranteed that these rookies will get a guaranteed payday. IIRC, contracts aren't allowed to be worked out until the new CBA is done. That means no money for possibly quite a while for rookies.

2) DB has warned a couple times that a pay scale won't restrict the contracts as severely as some people hope/expect. The owners are making other issues a priority, and with the give-and-take of negotiations, I doubt they institute a strict pay scale. Luck will almost certainly still get a decent contract at #1 overall no matter what year he enters.

WeAreArthurMoates
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Hope this means AJ Green to Carolina but my guess is Bowers.

psubills62
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM

True, but I'd bet that Luck is a different level of prospect than Brohm was. If Luck truly is a franchise QB, moving to a different system (unless it's something like an option spread) shouldn't make a difference in his draft stock.

Demon
01-06-2011, 02:03 PM

This doesn't make too much sense, because all the talk would of ended pretty soon after he announced he was turning pro because everyone knew Carolina would pick him. Now, you'll hear about him for another year and the Bills will probably be back in the mix for a top pick, again.

BuffaloBlitz83
They will go higher and make more money

Michael82
Wow! What a fool! Watch how far he falls in the draft next year. :crazy:

psubills62
01-06-2011, 02:04 PM
This doesn't make too much sense, because all the talk would of ended pretty soon after he announced he was turning pro because everyone knew Carolina would pick him. Now, you'll hear about him for another year and the Bills will probably be back in the mix for a top pick, again.

You don't think people would come up with 10001 trade scenarios for Buffalo to get Luck? We've already had some of those threads come up before Luck even made a decision.

RockStar36
The Bills neeeeed to get their QB this draft. I cannot stand the thought of another year of crap football while everyone fights over the idea of them tanking to get Luck. I just can't do it again.

X-Era
This doesn't make too much sense, because all the talk would of ended pretty soon after he announced he was turning pro because everyone knew Carolina would pick him. Now, you'll hear about him for another year and the Bills will probably be back in the mix for a top pick, again.Unless we draft a potential franchise QB at 3 this year. :whistle:

psubills62
Wow! What a fool! Watch how far he falls in the draft next year. :crazy:
Right now, I'd be willing to bet he won't fall at all.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 02:05 PM
They will go higher and make more moneyAs is Gabbert.

better days

Unless they pick a QB at #3, then the Bills would most likely be out of the market for a QB next year.

X-Era
The Bills neeeeed to get their QB this draft. I cannot stand the thought of another year of crap football while everyone fights over the idea of them tanking to get Luck. I just can't do it again.Theres other guys....

Demon
01-06-2011, 02:06 PM

Didn't effect Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan nor Sam Bradford who got HURT his senior year. Brian Brohm was PROJECTED as a top pick, none of us truly know how far he would of dropped after the combines and when scouts saw him first hand. My guess, a lot.

better days
01-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Unless we draft a potential franchise QB at 3 this year. :whistle:

Damn, you beat me to it. You must type faster than me.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Damn, you beat me to it. You must type faster than me.And now it could easily be the #1 QB available.

T-Long

I have to totally disagree here. The rookie pay scale looks like it won't go into effect until 2012, so this is the last year for underclassmen to land a big contract, especially him. His contract would surpass Bradford's from last year. If he is so smart and loves school, then why the hell even go to the NFL? Go be an architect and leave millions upon millions on the table. It just blows my mind that he is going back. Look what happened to Locker and Brohm for going back. Yes, Bradford still went #1, but he was an exception. If Locker and Brohm had come out after their junior year, they could have both went #1 overall. I could care less about it because it doesn't pertain to the Bills besides it takes away one of our options now, but I just think he is an idiot to pass this up.

RockStar36
Didn't effect Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan nor Sam Bradford who got HURT his senior year. Brian Brohm was PROJECTED as a top pick, none of us truly know how far he would of dropped after the combines and when scouts saw him first hand. My guess, a lot.

And how many people has it hurt? Obviously those three above are an exception, but I don't think they're the standard to base this upon.

I know 100% if I were in Luck's shoes I'd be going in the draft and getting my degree later on. Strike now while it's a sure thing. This is crazy.

T-Long
01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
And now it could easily be the #1 QB available.
exactly. I don't see Carolina or Denver taking a QB at all now, so the Bills can have the pick of the litter if they choose to do so.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
exactly. I don't see Carolina or Denver taking a QB at all now, so the Bills can have the pick of the litter if they choose to do so.The interesting part will now be how the top guys rank and who ends up being the #1 guy.

BTW, is your message box empty?

psubills62
01-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I have to totally disagree here. The rookie pay scale looks like it won't go into effect until 2012, so this is the last year for underclassmen to land a big contract, especially him. His contract would surpass Bradford's from last year. If he is so smart and loves school, then why the hell even go to the NFL? Go be an architect and leave millions upon millions on the table. It just blows my mind that he is going back. Look what happened to Locker and Brohm for going back. Yes, Bradford still went #1, but he was an exception. If Locker and Brohm had come out after their junior year, they could have both went #1 overall. I could care less about it because it doesn't pertain to the Bills besides it takes away one of our options now, but I just think he is an idiot to pass this up.

Locker's situation is overstated, as people have said multiple times that he was never going to be a high draft pick last year. Brohm...same thing, nobody really knows.

Luck is a better prospect than both Locker and Brohm. Like I said, I see his situation as being similar to Bradford, as he'll still go #1.

As for the money, I addressed that in this post:

http://billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3394321&postcount=34

Slim
01-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Panthers just turned into the '97 Jets.

T-Long
01-06-2011, 02:11 PM
BTW, is your message box empty?
Oh crap, I forgot to msg you back. Sorry man, been crazy at work. I'll hit you up tonight

psubills62
And how many people has it hurt? Obviously those three above are an exception, but I don't think they're the standard to base this upon.

I disagree, especially when you consider the level of prospect Luck is.

With someone like Locker, all you had was McShay and a couple of minor people hyping his potential. Most scouts indicated Locker was nowhere near a top 5 or even first round pick. And I'd bet that's the case with most guys who seem to "drop" because they stayed in school.

Luck is supposedly a better prospect than Bradford, so I'd say his situation is fairly comparable.

better days

You guess based on what you know now, but you don't really know. He may not have dropped at all.

Bradford was lucky he recovered enough before the draft. If Luck is injured at the end of the season or in a bowl game & there is a question about his recovery at draft time, it will definately affect his stock.

TacklingDummy
01-06-2011, 02:13 PM
So do the Bills draft a QB this year or do they wait until next year?

Most likely the Bills will be picking top 5 again next year. Which means Luck and Barkley will be there.

psubills62
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Most likely the Bills will be picking top 5 again next year. Which means Luck and Barkley will be there.

I'm pretty confident they'll take one in the later rounds (2-5).

RockStar36
01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
People also say "well Bradford got hurt and it didn't hurt him," which is true but what if Luck suffers a much more severe injury.

A - He stays in school, suffers a huge injury, and never makes it to the NFL. Tons of money lost.

B - Jumps to the NFL, cashes in, suffers a huge injury and his career is shot, but he still has a ton of money and it doesn't take athletic ability to sit in a classroom.

I think the choice is simple. Then again, I'm not Andrew Luck.

T-Long
01-06-2011, 02:15 PM
I seriously can not wait until draft day.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Most likely the Bills will be picking top 5 again next year. Which means Luck and Barkley will be there.If, and it's still a big if, a QB rates as worthy of the 3 pick or even top 5, and the Bills like him, take him.

Luck is on a whole other level. But, without a huge trade up we won't get him. And I don't think for a second that we will be picking #1 overall next year.

If Luck is out of the equation, this years class looks better.

Add in Fitz being a FA after this year.

Add in Gailey's short leash.

This is the year to get one, IMO.

T-Long
People also say "well Bradford got hurt and it didn't hurt him," which is true but what if Luck suffers a much more severe injury.

A - He stays in school, suffers a huge injury, and never makes it to the NFL. Tons of money lost.

B - Jumps to the NFL, cashes in, suffers a huge injury and his career is shot, but he still has a ton of money and it doesn't take athletic ability to sit in a classroom.

reading my mind. Very well said. Don't understand why some people disagree to be honest. It's a no brainer for me.

better days
exactly. I don't see Carolina or Denver taking a QB at all now, so the Bills can have the pick of the litter if they choose to do so.

I still think Carolina needs a QB in this draft, but not at #1.

Canadian'eh!
01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
mallett or newton or Dline now for sure

HELL NO at #3. YOu better be looking round 2.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I still think Carolina needs a QB in this draft, but not at #1.I think Carolina will go hard after a vet like Young or McNabb. Makes sense to give Clausen a bit more of a chance now and add a vet.

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2011, 02:18 PM
This feels like when you're running super late for your connection flight, you're completely hopeless and your heart is completely sunk, disappointingly considering contingency plans, then rush off to the monitors at your first chance to find that your connection has been delayed by 2 hours.

Holy :phew:!!!!

better days
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Then again as someone said if his priority is school that is why he stayed. I would question his passion for football then myself however. I want my QB to be passionate about the game like Payton Manning & Tom Brady.

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
reading my mind. Very well said. Don't understand why some people disagree to be honest. It's a no brainer for me.
Personally I'm in the camp with RockStar and T-Long, but that's only because our personal priorities value money more than other things. For Andrew Luck, apparently he values his education more. That is his choice and I respect it even though I wouldn't have done the same thing.

psubills62
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Then again as someone said if his priority is school that is why he stayed. I would question his passion for football then myself however. I want my QB to be passionate about the game like Payton Manning & Tom Brady.

Both of whom stayed for their senior years in college.

X-Era
01-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I think Carolina will go with Peterson or Bowers and that Peterson is the better prospect.

But, I think Denver would take Bowers at 2.

T-Long
01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Personally I'm in the camp with RockStar and T-Long, but that's only because our personal priorities value money more than other things. For Andrew Luck, apparently he values his education more. That is his choice and I respect it even though I wouldn't have done the same thing.
I respect the whole education thing as well, but my God, he can get that AFTER his career is over when he is looking for something else to do in his life. It's not like he can't ever go back and earn it. Now, if the labor agreement gets agreed upon before the draft, then the decision doesn't look bad at all considering the pay scale will be put in. But as of today, it is a very very stupid decision IMO.

Bill Cody

You do realize that Peyton Manning was in EXACTLY the same situation and decided to stay for his senior year at UT right?

Mad Max
Now the question is does Harbaugh stay? If not, I think Luck made a HUGE mistake. I think it is a mistake to stay anyway but a much bigger mistake if Harbaugh leaves.

Harbaugh will be a MUCH bigger idiot than even Luck if he stays, his stock cannot go higher only lower, much lower.

He will not win a National Championship with Stanford, and if even by some miracle he did, his stock still wouldn't be higher.

I think he gone.

T-Long
I think Carolina will go with Peterson or Bowers and that Peterson is the better prospect.

which means Fairley or Dareus falls right to us.

psubills62

Then we take Dareus.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carolina go with Green, to be honest. Green, Peterson, or DL (Bowers/Fairley/Dareus).

X-Era
01-06-2011, 02:26 PM
which means Fairley or Dareus falls right to us.Or the top QB. QB's are coveted and it wouldn't shock me at all to see one of the guys go that high when we get to the draft.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I respect the whole education thing as well, but my God, he can get that AFTER his career is over when he is looking for something else to do in his life. It's not like he can't ever go back and earn it. Now, if the labor agreement gets agreed upon before the draft, then the decision doesn't look bad at all considering the pay scale will be put in. But as of today, it is a very very stupid decision IMO.

It's not stupid. If this kid is as good as I think he is he's not going to be short of money EVER. But he'll only be 22 and in college once. On the other hand, if the Bills were holding the 1st pick and he decided to go back then THAT would be stupid.

Mr. Miyagi
The very definition of "priority" is "first", be it chronologically or figuratively. Luck decides to FIRST get his education and THEN enter the NFL. You and I will never truly understand.

Commissioner
Jimmy Clausen must be the happiest guy in the country right now.

Mr. Miyagi
01-06-2011, 02:29 PM
And :lolpoint: Carolina.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 02:32 PM

I love what ifs so ok I'll play. What if the waitress at my local tap with the huge bazoombas that flirts with me decides to go topless to work? What then?

Bulldog
01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I love what ifs so ok I'll play. What if the waitress at my local tap with the huge bazoombas that flirts with me decides to go topless to work? What then?

Pretty sure you should fondle her then. Is that the correct answer?

Slim
01-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Seriously. I haven't even thought of him.

patmoran2006
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I think Bowers, Peterson and Fairley become the top 3 picks now, in no particular order.

Newton, Locker, Mallet, The MSU kid. .Run of QBS can start as early as 5.

For the record, I think Locker will end up top QB now when its all said and done.

RockStar36
01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
It's not stupid. If this kid is as good as I think he is he's not going to be short of money EVER. But he'll only be 22 and in college once. On the other hand, if the Bills were holding the 1st pick and he decided to go back then THAT would be stupid.

He'll definitely have the money eventually, but what if a rookie pay scale goes into effect by the time he enters the draft. That's a lot of money to toss away to stay in college.

Mad Max
01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Cam Newton just got a pay raise (assuming a great performance in the NCG)

RockStar36
01-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Actually, I don't see how this affects Newton a ton. Luck was going to go #1, so if anything, this affects the other players slotted 1-5. Unless Newton goes #1 now, I don't think it totally affects him. Maybe moves him up a spot? I don't know.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 02:43 PM

yeah those Carolina fans are going to be greeting him with open arms aren't they

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure you should fondle her then. Is that the correct answer?

i dunno. The places I hang out where they go topless they still don't let me do that. But maybe you're right.:D

better days
01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Both of whom stayed for their senior years in college.

Did Brady have any other choice? If told he would be drafted #1 I think he would have come out early.

psubills62
01-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Did Brady have any other choice? If told he would be drafted #1 I think he would have come out early.
Haha Brady didn't have a choice almost certainly, but the point remains that you don't have to leave ASAP to prove your loyalty to the game. Manning is one of the most dedicated QB's and one of the hardest workers out there.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
He'll definitely have the money eventually, but what if a rookie pay scale goes into effect by the time he enters the draft. That's a lot of money to toss away to stay in college.

Yeah I guess. But if he's a top tier QB he'll still have a challenge spending it all. I could literally live pretty damn comfortably for the rest of my life on what this guy will eventually make in one year. Unless this guy is Ebenezeer Scrooge or spends like Mike Tyson it really won't matter so why not do what he wants? One other thing to consider: the extra year in college may help him QB wise in the long run. Peyton always says it helped him. Or do you know better?

better days
01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
yeah those Carolina fans are going to be greeting him with open arms aren't they

Uh NO. Carolina fan must be mad as hell about now. As X-ERA said they probably go get a vet. McNabb or maybe Orton.

DraftBoy
01-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Kid stuck to his guns the whole time. Thats admirable...borderline stupid...but admirable. Good for him.

Ickybaluky
01-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Wow. This is a huge blow for the Panthers. This was clearly the guy to take in this draft.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Uh NO. Carolina fan must be mad as hell about now. As X-ERA said they probably go get a vet. McNabb or maybe Orton.

Yeah get one of those guys. That should make those Panther fans feel much better.

Slim
01-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Wow. This is a huge blow for the Panthers. This was clearly the guy to take in this draft.

Luck's math homework for the night:
E= MCF**K the panthers.

better days
01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
You do realize that Peyton Manning was in EXACTLY the same situation and decided to stay for his senior year at UT right?
Yeah he stayed for his senior year, but not because he had a passion for something other than football which Luck appears to have. Peyton believed he would be a better QB in the NFL if he stayed his senior year. Luck has said he will complete his degree next year. You think he will stay around for his Senior year because he thinks it will make him a better QB? I doubt it.

RockStar36
01-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Do Panthers fans even really care? They seem to be the type (to me) that just enjoy going to a live game but don't really care one way or another.

TheBrownBear
01-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I respect the heck out of this kid. Yes, he can always "go back" and earn his degree, but he'll only get one opportunity for a true undergrad experience and this is it. And I'm not just talking about parties and girls, but getting to constantly interact with others who are as intellectually curious as you are.

He's gonna get paid either way, and even in the worst case scenario where he gets injured or flops, he's obviously a very bright guy with a Stanford degree...he's going to go on to a well-paying job in finance, law, architecture, or the like.

better days
01-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Yeah get one of those guys. That should make those Panther fans feel much better.

A hell of a lot better than Clausen.

Slim
01-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Do Panthers fans even really care? They seem to be the type (to me) that just enjoy going to a live game but don't really care one way or another.

One of the roughest road games I have ever been to was at Carolina, I don't know if it was where I was sitting or what, but it was pretty rough.

better days
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I respect the heck out of this kid. Yes, he can always "go back" and earn his degree, but he'll only get one opportunity for a true undergrad experience and this is it. And I'm not just talking about parties and girls, but getting to constantly interact with others who are as intellectually curious as you are.

He's gonna get paid either way, and even in the worst case scenario where he gets injured or flops, he's obviously a very bright guy with a Stanford degree...he's going to go on to a well-paying job in finance, law, architecture, or the like.

Yeah because they all pay as well as a 1st pick NFL QB. He could have had the intellectual interaction in the offseason.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah he stayed for his senior year, but not because he had a passion for something other than football which Luck appears to have. Peyton believed he would be a better QB in the NFL if he stayed his senior year. Luck has said he will complete his degree next year. You think he will stay around for his Senior year because he thinks it will make him a better QB? I doubt it.

hahahaha Did you watch the kid being interviewed after the game? He seemed pretty damn passionate to me. Why the hell does everyone have to play amateur shrink about this? The kid is brilliant, super talented and mature beyond his years. He thinks it's a good idea to finish school. I say good for him.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
A hell of a lot better than Clausen.

ok so?

better days
01-06-2011, 03:04 PM

Where do you get that from? I can tell you when both the Bucs & Panthers were good & fighting for the division title, those games were intense.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah because they all pay as well as a 1st pick NFL QB. He could have had the intellectual interaction in the offseason.

you seem kind of pissed. Were you in line to be his agent?

TheBrownBear
01-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Obviously, he values the college experience and getting his degree more than being the guaranteed number one pick. Maybe he doesn't give a $#@! about the difference between #1 pick money and #10 pick money. Money isn't everything - is that so hard for people to believe?

better days
01-06-2011, 03:07 PM
ok so?

So to your original post, NO they will not welcome Clausen back with open arms. They already know that he sucks.

better days
01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
you seem kind of pissed. Were you in line to be his agent?

I am only bothered by the fact his staying in school affects the Bills draft.

better days
01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
hahahaha Did you watch the kid being interviewed after the game? He seemed pretty damn passionate to me. Why the hell does everyone have to play amateur shrink about this? The kid is brilliant, super talented and mature beyond his years. He thinks it's a good idea to finish school. I say good for him.

I also think it is a good idea to finish school, but he could have done that in the off season. I think that would have been a better idea.

Slim
01-06-2011, 03:15 PM
So Carolina is now the one city in America that is hoping for a lockout.

Bill Cody
01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
I also think it is a good idea to finish school, but he could have done that in the off season. I think that would have been a better idea.

No the best idea is for him to do what he no doubt did: talk to his parents, talk to his family and friends, talk to Harbough and then make his OWN decision. Exactly who are you to question that?

TigerJ
01-06-2011, 03:36 PM
It's possible that Carolina is relieved that Luck is staying in school. Clausen struggled this year, but according to what I read, he didn't get a lot of help from his receivers who seemd to have chronic "dropsies" this year. Carolina may feel he's going to develop. This frees them to draft for need rather than take a player just because he's ranked at the top of his draft class. Of course, since Carolina won't be drafting a QB, they will be drafting a player at another position. If that position is defensive line, it will think out the available talent for Buffalo, just a bit. Not a huge issue, but it is there.

imbondz
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
plus Carolina has a great shot at getting #1 next year too

TacklingDummy
01-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I was wrong, I thought Luck would go to the NFL.
What a stupid move giving up those millions.

Philagape
01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
So Carolina is now the one city in America that is hoping for a lockout.

Their owner did say earlier this week that he's not optimistic about labor peace.

JD
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
LOSE OUT!

Nighthawk
01-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Wow, Luck is one dumb mother*****er! This might be the single-dumbest move ever by a college player regarding their future. Absolutely a stupid move....

Nighthawk
01-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Bravo for staying to earn a degree that won't make him nearly as much money as being this year's #1 pick??? Sorry, it is a very stupid move...he just cost himself an estimated 40-50 million, that he'll never get back. Dumb, just dumb.

naugem
01-06-2011, 05:29 PM
He can still change his mind, can't he?

Nighthawk
01-06-2011, 05:31 PM
He can still change his mind, can't he?

Only until the deadline, unforunately, I don't know that date, but it is coming up.

YardRat
01-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Dammit. One less player for us to choose from at #3 with Luck not entering.

better days
01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Only until the deadline, unforunately, I don't know that date, but it is coming up.

January 15

better days
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
No the best idea is for him to do what he no doubt did: talk to his parents, talk to his family and friends, talk to Harbough and then make his OWN decision. Exactly who are you to question that?

Maybe that is what he did, but his decision was not good. I don't care how you spin it. It was very foolish to pass up being the 1st pick in the NFL draft. Especially when your HC is leaving. He may hate his next HC.

methos4ever
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Bravo for staying to earn a degree that won't make him nearly as much money as being this year's #1 pick??? Sorry, it is a very stupid move...he just cost himself an estimated 40-50 million, that he'll never get back. Dumb, just dumb.
He gets drafted. Can't sign due to CBA. New CBA will have cap. He won't make 50 million.

You can think it's stupid, but whatever he would make as the number one pick is going to be the same in a year. The days of the mega millions were over the second they opted out of the CBA.

If you want to think that's stupid, by all means knock yourself out. But I'm still going to say bravo to a kid who's going to be rich out of his mind either way, play football and get to be an engineer(!) as a fall back. That to me is amazing.

better days
01-06-2011, 05:57 PM
He gets drafted. Can't sign due to CBA. New CBA will have cap. He won't make 50 million.

You can think it's stupid, but whatever he would make as the number one pick is going to be the same in a year. The days of the mega millions were over the second they opted out of the CBA.

There is no guarantee he will be the number 1 pick next year.

BillsFever21
01-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Well at least this will stop the "We have to trade anything to draft Luck at #1" posts.

methos4ever
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
There is no guarantee he will be the number 1 pick next year.
There's no guarantee he won't either.

As opposed to any of the other QBs (Locker, Leinart, etc.) who came back for another year, he doesn't have physical/mental limitations those guys did. I liken him to the Bradford and Manning(s) model which didn't hurt any of them.

And he also wanted to go back to get better. If he can anticipate a little more and not worry about seeing his receiver's numbers/face before he throws it, it's only going to help him.

Nighthawk
01-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Well at least this will stop the "We have to trade anything to draft Luck at #1" posts.

Nope, it will just start up the "we need to bottom out next year to get Luck" talk!

justasportsfan
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM

As opposed to any of the other QBs (Locker, Leinart, etc.) who came back for another year, he doesn't have physical/mental limitations those guys did. I liken him to the Bradford and Manning(s) model which didn't hurt any of them.

And he also wanted to go back to get better. If he can anticipate a little more and not worry about seeing his receiver's numbers/face before he throws it, it's only going to help him.

he could end up getting injured

methos4ever
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
he could end up getting injured
Most of these guys when they go back get insured at Lloyd's of London. So if he does, he'll make back say tens of millions of dollars if he cannot play football again. And he seems like the sort that would be okay with that and his hundreds of thousands a year.

better days
01-06-2011, 06:18 PM

The point is Luck was guaranteed to be the #1 pick this year. There is no guarantee that will be so next year. When Peyton Manning was a Jr. he was not assured of being the 1st pick if he came out. Even when he did come out as a Senior, It was divided as to who was better & who would be drafted 1st Manning or Leaf. The Colts are lucky they have a very good GM that made the right call.

mikemac2001
01-06-2011, 06:20 PM
What does the QB class look like for next year?

methos4ever
01-06-2011, 06:23 PM
The point is Luck was guaranteed to be the #1 pick this year. There is no guarantee that will be so next year. When Peyton Manning was a Jr. he was not assured of being the 1st pick if he came out. Even when he did come out as a Senior, It was divided as to who was better & who would be drafted 1st Manning or Leaf. The Colts are lucky they have a very good GM that made the right call.
In 1997 Manning was in fact lambasted for doing the exact same thing. Jets fans, the media, local and national radio thought he was a fool for not going to the Parcells Jets and owning the East. He did okay.

BillsFever21
01-06-2011, 06:24 PM
The only thing that sucks about this that it's one less good player that would've been drafted ahead of the Bills. It could end up being the difference between them getting the player they wanted or Carolina or Denver drafting him. Face it Luck was never coming to Buffalo is he declared. This could only possibly hurt us now.

methos4ever
01-06-2011, 06:26 PM
What does the QB class look like for next year?
Ryan Lindley, Sd State
Pryor, Ohio State
Nick Foles, Arizona
Kirk Cousins, Mich St

USC's Matt Barkley and Oklahoma's Landry Jones would also be eligible to declare early.

better days
01-06-2011, 06:27 PM
In 1997 Manning was in fact lambasted for doing the exact same thing. Jets fans, the media, local and national radio thought he was a fool for not going to the Parcells Jets and owning the East. He did okay.

Jets fans may have wanted him, but he was not the consensus #1 pick that Luck is this year.

Saratoga Slim
01-06-2011, 09:02 PM

Hopefully he struggles in the new system, and falls to the middle of next year's first round, where we scoop him up.

LtFinFan66
01-06-2011, 11:22 PM
What a fn idiotyeah....god forbid a kid get his degree

better days
01-06-2011, 11:25 PM
yeah....god forbid a kid get his degree

Who said he should not get his degree? Thousands of people work full time jobs & get a degree.

methos4ever
01-07-2011, 06:39 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Luck-staying-at-Stanford-a-reaction.html

Whereas last year’s top pick Sam Bradford made $50 million guaranteed with a contract that could reach $78 million, this year’s top pick could be limited to $15 million guaranteed with a contract that could barely reach $20 million.

Of course, everything is subject to negotiation and the negotiation could result in a new rookie system not being implemented until 2012, but I don’t think that will happen. Without an advocate, the rookies will suffer compared to past classes.

Did the pending rookie scale make a difference to Luck? Maybe, but my sense is it was not overriding.

I know Luck’s father Oliver – he was general manager of the Frankfurt Galaxy of the NFL’s World League when I held that position with the Barcelona Dragons – and how diligent he was in researching the pros and cons of this decision for Andrew. A lot of thought went into this, and – although I am biased – it is an admirable decision.

don137
01-07-2011, 06:46 AM

If you want to think that's stupid, by all means knock yourself out. But I'm still going to say bravo to a kid who's going to be rich out of his mind either way, play football and get to be an engineer(!) as a fall back. That to me is amazing.

If no agreement is done by the draft then they those players go by the current deal which is no salary cap thus this could be the last year with no cap. This decision could cost him tens of millions.
Jerry Richardson, Panthers owner, is ready to play serious hard ball with the players. He cut payroll in preparation of the lockout thus causing the bad season.

methos4ever
01-07-2011, 08:07 AM
If no agreement is done by the draft then they those players go by the current deal which is no salary cap thus this could be the last year with no cap. This decision could cost him tens of millions.
Jerry Richardson, Panthers owner, is ready to play serious hard ball with the players. He cut payroll in preparation of the lockout thus causing the bad season.
But Don, if there's no cap AND no CBA, no owner in their right mind would sign a kid to the old standard when as the article above states, both owners and players want the slotting for rookies. In this whole thing rookies have no voice, because they're not a part of the NFL until they sign those contracts.

But you're right - he could cost himself tens of millions if they don't slot with these picks. I just don't think any owner will push this hard (ala Richardson) to cut costs and then drop 40 mil on their pick anymore!

Extremebillsfan247
01-07-2011, 08:30 AM
oh well, better Luck next year. lol We wouldn't have gotten him anyway so it doesn't really matter. If he is really that good of a QB, his production on the field shouldn't be hampered much. If he comes to the pros, he's going to be in a different system with out Harbaugh anyway. So for those worried about him having a bad year because he is returning to Stanford, your basically saying he is only good because of the system and not his talent. If that is the case, you have to then ask yourself if he really is worth that high pick. Just something to think about.

don137
01-07-2011, 08:39 AM
But Don, if there's no cap AND no CBA, no owner in their right mind would sign a kid to the old standard when as the article above states, both owners and players want the slotting for rookies. In this whole thing rookies have no voice, because they're not a part of the NFL until they sign those contracts.

But you're right - he could cost himself tens of millions if they don't slot with these picks. I just don't think any owner will push this hard (ala Richardson) to cut costs and then drop 40 mil on their pick anymore!
You are right. The real wild card is if there is no rookie cap in 2011 but there is one in 2012 it will be interesting to see what will be the salaries of the 2011 rookie class.

better days
01-07-2011, 11:09 AM
You are right. The real wild card is if there is no rookie cap in 2011 but there is one in 2012 it will be interesting to see what will be the salaries of the 2011 rookie class.

Well in the past, if a drafted player was not happy with the team that signed him or the offer, he could just not sign & be drafted again the next year. He would cost himself a years salary by doing so but a few guys have done it in the past.

If there is no cap this year & a draft pick does that he will face a cap in the next draft, costing the player a years salary on top of it so I think even without a cap this year the money won't be as high as it was last year.

Bill Cody
01-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Maybe that is what he did, but his decision was not good. I don't care how you spin it. It was very foolish to pass up being the 1st pick in the NFL draft. Especially when your HC is leaving. He may hate his next HC.

His new coach is going to ask him if he wants 1 or 2 sugars in his coffee. Will any player in the country get his ass kissed as much as Luck will? Seriously. Stanford is one of the most beautiful campuses in the world and the kid is going to have more sex than Charlie Manson. He is good now and he will only get better. Odds are low that he gets hurt and he'll have insurance. Money isn't the only thing in the world. As his father said he's "old school" he wants to go 4 years and get his degree.

Beyond that he's only played 2 years of college football. Are you saying another year of experience is useless? That's not what the numbers say for QB's coming out of college, it's actually rather clear cut that kids benefit from 3 or more years under center. That's the scary thing- the kid is going to improve.

Johnny Bugmenot
01-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Who said he should not get his degree? Thousands of people work full time jobs & get a degree.
When your job involves getting your head bashed in by defensive linemen, it has a tendency to cause brain damage. Ask Trent Edwards. It's not exactly conducive to trying to juggle a career and a degree.

Ingtar33
01-07-2011, 05:52 PM
My only concern when i hear this sort of thing... is it raises a question of how dedicated the kid is to football.

of course the same questions were raised about Payton Manning too when he decided to go back... BOTH times