PDA

View Full Version : Winfield WANTS an extension BEFORE training camp begins....

Michael82
06-19-2003, 10:54 AM
I just read the little blurb from Shout! Check it out....

Antoine Winfield is looking forward to a new deal. His original five-year contract with Buffalo expires after 2003 and he hopes to sign an extension with the team before training camp opens for veterans on July 26.

http://story.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=24&p=2&c=116621&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fbills.theinsiders.com%2f2%2f116621.html

mikemac2001
06-19-2003, 11:06 AM
sweet

Ebenezer
06-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Go for it!! We have room in the cap to extend him and even pitch him a couple of $$ this year.

LtBillsFan66
06-19-2003, 11:14 AM
please please please let this happen. I will sleep better knowing Winfield is with us for more than one more season.

Schobel94
06-19-2003, 11:33 AM
He already stated like a month ago he wants a new contract b4 camp. Dammit just sign him!! Then there will be no offseason tension during the season.

Lone Stranger
06-19-2003, 12:22 PM
If Winfield has expressed this interest previously I do not understand why he hasn't been signed in view of the Bills favorable cap situation, and the Bills should be in better cap space in 2004.

Ebenezer
06-19-2003, 12:24 PM
The Bills are approx. $20mil under next years cap...they have the room.

MDFINFAN
06-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by fmr60
If Winfield has expressed this interest previously I do not understand why he hasn't been signed in view of the Bills favorable cap situation, and the Bills should be in better cap space in 2004.

He only had one good game and Lucas doesn't play for the dolphins anymore:snicker2:

Mr. Miyagi
06-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
He only had one good game and Lucas doesn't play for the dolphins anymore:snicker2:
Too bad Phin fans can't even say the same about Gay Fiedler.

Mr. Miyagi
06-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Oops I meant Jay. Freudian slip? :laughter:

justasportsfan
06-19-2003, 12:50 PM

I think you meant Clements :doh:

lordofgun
06-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
The Bills are approx. $20mil under next years cap.

:hungry:

MDFINFAN
06-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

I think you meant Clements :doh:

Me thinks you're right, go ahead a give Winfield a raise. He took an easy on Lucas :coffee:

Jay got an extension before last year...next year his big $ start to come on his extension..you're right he's definetly not gay,,a tough cookies if you ask me, and yea, I know you didn't, but had to put in my 2 cents. :jetsuck: They're the ones who led us to believe Lucas could play.

justasportsfan
06-19-2003, 01:08 PM

:jetsuck: They're the ones who led us to believe Lucas could play.

With the jets suck sign, who are the real suckers. :D

MDFINFAN
06-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan

With the jets suck sign, who are the real suckers. :D

That's why they suck, memo to phins FO, never trust rivals..:hitself:

ryven
06-19-2003, 01:16 PM
Winfield is IMO one of the best corners in the league and for the fact that he took it easy on the dolphins I did not see lucas throw it his way to much

Voltron
06-19-2003, 01:52 PM
That is the thing ryven! No one throws it towrd him!!!! If he is so bad MDFIN why does every NFL writer call him a "lock down Corner" ?

MDFINFAN
06-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by ryven
Winfield is IMO one of the best corners in the league and for the fact that he took it easy on the dolphins I did not see lucas throw it his way to much

Thank God, What had happen was:D, He was still trying to figure out the left side, where Clements was..it took all game so he never got to Winfield..:homer:

robeezy
06-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Hey a big name player that actually wants to stay in Buffalo? Sign him now!

NC-BILLS44
06-19-2003, 02:54 PM
No one wants to test Winfield. They would rather go at Clements, who takes more chances that Winfield.

The_Philster
06-19-2003, 03:30 PM
What are we :angry: waiting for?

Michael82
06-19-2003, 03:37 PM
That's the question that I am asking myself, Phil!

Come on TD! Extend Winfield's contract! :pray:

SoCalBillsFan
06-19-2003, 04:20 PM
this isa no brainer, unless winfield is asking for a rediculous amount of money. Please dont let this guy go.

BillsFanInMass
06-19-2003, 04:24 PM
yes Winfield is the smallest on our team but by far the hardest hitter.

Stewie
06-19-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Schobel94
He already stated like a month ago he wants a new contract b4 camp. Dammit just sign him!! Then there will be no offseason tension during the season.

Well, there is that small factor of the head coach not being signed.. but other than that... ;)

MDFINFAN
06-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by paulB

Well, there is that small factor of the head coach not being signed.. but other than that... ;)

It's interesting to see a coach not extended after winning as many games as you did last year, based on previous year's record...What's up in Buf..with this..I thought the team was on the right track..Is there something not being reported going on?

Stewie
06-19-2003, 04:45 PM
IMO GW has been smart not to publicly say anything about this.. TD knows what he's doing, I'm not worried about it.. The only thing that worries me is the possibility of Gilbride or Lebeau becoming head coach here. I do not want another defensive coach and I DEFINITELY do not want Gilbride.

MDFINFAN
06-19-2003, 04:52 PM
I hear ya, but It would concern me if a coach got the team headed in the right direction and don't get any public feedback from the organization, ie. extention.

WG
06-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Gilbride as head coach...

:lol:

If he even reverts to a couple of games that cost us wins last year by passing too much he may not even be the OC next year. Fan outcry will be incredible.

I'm tellin' ya, 50% of what stands between us and the AFC Championship is Gilbride!

Schobel94
06-19-2003, 04:57 PM

Me thinks you're right, go ahead a give Winfield a raise. He took an easy on Lucas :coffee:

In case everyone has forgotten Winfield was hurt and did not play that game vs. the Dolphins, we had the Toast in his place, if Winfield was there it would have been muuuuuuuuuuuuch worse for Miami.

MDFINFAN
06-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
I'm tellin' ya, 50% of what stands between us and the AFC Championship is Gilbride!

That's harsh...the 12 teams you guys play and the talent on your team only make up 50% of you not getting to the AFC Championship game..I reserve further comment.

mvb1781
06-19-2003, 05:42 PM
The signing of Winfield would be the !!!!! to the end of this beautiful offseason. All bills fans have been paying attention about football even though it is months away!

The Natrix
06-19-2003, 07:31 PM
oh, very good news

hey
06-19-2003, 07:58 PM
man you guys are way overhyping winfield.the guy has never even had 3,or 4 int in a season.wat is so special about him?to say say he is one of the best in the nfl is just crazy.maybe he has alot of potential but untill he proves himself he is jusy an average corner.

WG
06-19-2003, 08:17 PM

That's harsh...the 12 teams you guys play and the talent on your team only make up 50% of you not getting to the AFC Championship game..I reserve further comment.

You can have all the talent in the world and an easy schedulel, but unless you put it together right you won't be as good as you can be! You can reserve what you want, but Gilbride singlehandedly lost 2 or 3 games for us simply due to complete bumbling and ineptitude in planning and strategizing the offensive plan both prior and during games, mostly during.

Furthermore, if he pulls the same crap this year he'll be boo'd out of the stadium by midseason and it'll cost us more than 2 or 3 games w/ the schedule we have.

Originally posted by hey
man you guys are way overhyping winfield.the guy has never even had 3,or 4 int in a season.wat is so special about him?to say say he is one of the best in the nfl is just crazy.maybe he has alot of potential but untill he proves himself he is jusy an average corner.

hey,

Your analysis is one dimensional. Since when is INTs the sole measure of a CBs worth/performance?

Winfield may not be the best cover corner in the league, and I agree, his strength is not coverage although he's good at it, average+ I'd say, but against the run, you won't find many if any CBs who are as good against the run and who can tackle and hit as hard as Winfield can!

So as a package player/CB, Winfield's right up there. If we were looking simply for a nickle-back, then I'd agree, he isn't the man. But we're not, we're looking at a CB to start. As such, there aren't too many as good as Winfield is in all facets of the game!

So before you demand "proof", my short answer is watch some games! I'd take Winfield and his 5'9" frame over just about any other corner in the league in the open field one-on-one v. a starting RB any day of the week!

You find me a CB who hits as hard as Winfield does and tackles as well as he does, particularly in the open field, and I'll show you a CB who can't cover as well as AW.

Michael82
06-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by hey

Are you NUTS?!?!? You are the crazy one! You actually think the Dolfelons will make it past the first round and past their December slump to become Super Bowl champs!?!??!?! Hey buddy....can I have what you are smoking? :D :mex:

mvb1781
06-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by hey

I dont believe that you dont see Winfeild as a great player.
To be a great Quarterback in the league one needs a good offensive line
To be a great Cornerback in the league one needs a good defensive line
BILLS didnt have a Dline=no ints
it isnt possible after 5 secs to keep a man covered
Against the run very few can match Winfields skills
Against the pass he is beyond average
I dont know if u remember the KC game Winfield 5'9 was covering Tony 6'4 250 and held him to 2 catches for 17 yards the whole game!!

Bascially all im sayin is SIGN HIM

Stewie
06-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by hey

Let me expand your flawed logic.. If a corner is so good that he only sees 1 or 2 passes per game thrown in his direction, and therefore has 0 interceptions out of the 20 passes he saw all season, that mean's he's not a good corner??

venis2k1
06-19-2003, 09:12 PM
It will be much smarter to wait until next offseason to sign him, this coming draft is CB Rich, and there are several top name CBs coming into the free agent market next year, this is gonna drive prices way down. None of us know what Winfeild is looking for, But the going rate for CBs this offseason is gonna be MUCH higher than it will be next year.

The_Philster
06-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
It will be much smarter to wait until next offseason to sign him, this coming draft is CB Rich, and there are several top name CBs coming into the free agent market next year, this is gonna drive prices way down. None of us know what Winfeild is looking for, But the going rate for CBs this offseason is gonna be MUCH higher than it will be next year.

Next offseason he's a free agent though. That's what everyone wants to avoid...losing him to free agency. If he has a big year for interceptions this year, he's gonna cost us a lot. Right now, he shouldn't be as expensive.

Schobel94
06-19-2003, 09:28 PM
His hands arent great, but it doesnt help his int stat that no one throws to his guy, cuz he is lock down! He is THE best tackling corner in the NFL, amazing against the run, and is shut down v. the pass. With an improved pass rush, he will only get better, and with more experience for the saftey's he will get help on deep balls.

venis2k1
06-19-2003, 09:40 PM
IF we lose him, it wont be the end of the world, these are the good CBs that will be FAs next year :

Charles Woodson (Raiders), Champ Bailey (Redskins), Troy Vincent (Eagles), Bobby Taylor (Eagles), Antoine Winfield (Bills), Ahmed Plummer (49ers), Fernando Bryant (Jaguars) and Jason Webster (49ers).

As apposed to this year:

Dre Bly

The_Philster
06-19-2003, 09:44 PM
I'd rather have someone here who knows the system than to bring in someone who has to learn

Turf
06-19-2003, 09:53 PM
If they can extend him without giving away the farm, they should. If he wants as much as a free agent next year, wait him out and play the game.

don137
06-20-2003, 05:37 AM
I agree that Winfield's contract should be extended. In this league you need three good corners because teams pass so much teams are in the nickel a lot. I wonder if the Bills want to see how Kevin Thomas pans out this season before making a decision.
Hey Venis, you can probably can add one of the fins coners to the list for next year. Next year they will be really cap strapped and I wouldn't be surprised if they have to let one of them go.

BillsFanInMass
06-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Other fans dont think Winfield is that good because they dont watch bills games and he doesnt have many ints. Like all the homo phins fans who post on this site they say hes not good .

But us bills fans who watch the games will tell you this guy hits like a truck rarely gets burned and doesnt have many oppurtunities to get ints cause he doesnt get thrown towards. I personally think he is better than Clements. Nate was burned on few occasions last year that i can remember but he had more ints.

But ive been watching football for more than 15 years and havent seen a corner who can play the run like him . And the hits are devastating on all refer to my avatar.

Earthquake Enyart
06-20-2003, 07:29 AM
The only problem with signing him now is that it ties up money for this year too soon. If something tragic happens in training camp, TD will not have as much flexibility to react. TD probably would like to wait until the season starts, then sign him.

TedMock
06-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Good point but I think next year's cap space is ridiculously large because we'll finally lose all that big "dead" money. We'll have even more to work with. I'm not the cap expert here though so I'd run that by Eb before I commit to that statement!

MDFINFAN
06-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanInMass
Other fans dont think Winfield is that good because they dont watch bills games and he doesnt have many ints. Like all the homo phins fans who post on this site they say hes not good .

But us bills fans who watch the games will tell you this guy hits like a truck rarely gets burned and doesnt have many oppurtunities to get ints cause he doesnt get thrown towards. I personally think he is better than Clements. Nate was burned on few occasions last year that i can remember but he had more ints.

But ive been watching football for more than 15 years and havent seen a corner who can play the run like him . And the hits are devastating on all refer to my avatar.

I resent the homo remark, I've said nothing but sign him for not hurting us last year...drop Clements would have been my motto, but since we don't have Ray anymore, keep both of them, they never hurt Jay..other than that, I think Winfield is a decent Corner back who can be very good in this league, time will tell, is he a shutdown corner yet, I don't think so..Since we all play the NFCE this year, we will see more passing from the likes of NYG, Philly, definetly the Skins..and to a lesser degree, Dallas..Winfield will either earn an extension or lose his job..I think your GM is just checking to ensure that he deserves a big payday..

casdhf
06-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Winfield is good, but he isn't the type of guy you line up on the other teams best WR and know that WR is going to have 5 catches for 48 yards. Winfield is a #2 that's great in run support. In a few years, he'll be out answer at FS, until then he's a good corner and is better than any #2 WR out there. Clements steps up, we're set.

hey
06-20-2003, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike32282
[B]

Are you NUTS?!?!? You are the crazy one! You actually think the Dolfelons will make it past the first round and past their December slump to become Super Bowl champs!?!??!?! Hey buddy....can I have what you are smoking?

what the hell are you talkin about??nothing you said has ANYthing to do with what i said about winfield.are you on medication or something?

hey
06-20-2003, 03:40 PM
every keeps sayin he is a good tackler and a hard hitter.sorry but its not that important when you are a cb.int are what make good cb.tackles are what make good Lb and safety's.no cb is gonna go to the probowl or hof based on how many tackles they have.to get int is the job of the corner.

Schobel94
06-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Interceptions are the the key concern of the conrerback. The most IMPORTANT thing is that the man he is covering does NOT get the ball. How many times have you seen Winfield's man break a big one on him??? I'm sure there were a few times, but I sure as hell can't remember any.

mikemac2001
06-20-2003, 03:56 PM
Look at that HIT he can tackle he can lock down a WR thats all you really need at CB....If he can lock down one WR 1 on 1 that leaves us to float in a zone bring a blitz or double another WR and thats how you get INT's. winfield might not get INT but his play helps the bills everywhere on Defense....he can nail a RB he can lock down a WR AND HE CAN SMACK THE **** OUT OF PEOPLE.

clumping platelets
06-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Bills have over $6 million still available in 2003 cap........plenty of cap space to re-sign Winfield long-term.

He already counts a bit over $1.7 million. I forsee a slight increase in salary from his $530,000 to $750,000 and the addition of $1.5 million amortization(translates to a $7.5 million signing bonus over 5 yrs). That would be an additional $1.72 million on the 2003 cap.

Let's do it!!!

ublinkwescore
06-20-2003, 04:54 PM
Clements is also taking a page out of Winfield's book - ask Tim Dwight from the Chargers - he got nailed by both of them in last years game.

As for Winfield - the ONLY time I ever saw him fail to make a tackle was in our second game against New England in which Troy Brown grabbed his facemask and threw him down - and got a first down instead of a flag. That pissed me off so much.

Billsbabee
06-23-2003, 07:37 AM
I don't know of any reason not to extend Winfield. I've read all the posts thus far and there is more reason to sign than not, so lets get it done. Besides the fact that I have watched all the games...and there too can't find a reason not too. As long as it's within reason and we have the cap room...sign him!

HenryRules
06-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Billsbabee, no good reasons for signing Winfield? I can think of a few that have been presented for which there have been no solid counter arguments:

1 - (Biggest reason) We don't know what Winfield is asking for. If he's asking for 10 mil/yr with a big signing bonus (intentionally exagerrated), of course he wants that done by training camp. (I know you acknowledged this reason, I'm just restating it).
2 - Why sign him now when we can still sign him a month or two from now? He's going to play for us this season and if by giving him an extension, we miss out on signing some guys that end up being suprise cuts, or if we have some fluke rash of injuries and need some money to spend, but Winfield's extension (which will involve a raise in this year's cap hit, how much is the question - see point #1) takes up too much cap room, then TD's made a bad decision.
3 - The market this offseason is extremely overpriced for DB's ... look at Bly. Next year, Winfield is probably the 5th best CB (at least in terms of marketing power) that's gonna be a free agent and no progress is being made regarding the other CB's either. So signing Winfield next season will probably be cheaper than this year (admittedly, it may take up more cap room for the years 2004 and beyond bc we won't be able to amortize any of the cost this year, but its still a stupid move to spend millions of dollars when you don't have to).
4 - He hasn't caught the ball at all in his career. I don't care how many passes that get thrown his way now, he never made interceptions early in his career either ... the guy simply has no hands. CB's get paid to stop the WR from catching the ball AND to catch the ball themselves ... paying a CB to hit is liking paying a cleanup hitter in baseball because he can lay down a bunt.

Billsbabee
06-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Ok, maybe I needed a few more descriptives in my post Henry.

I think we are pretty much agreeing on your #1? On your #2, I didn't say sign him today or tomorrow but maybe let the guy know we intend to sign him, again within reason, by a certain length of time. Talk it out with him so it doesn't become a sore situation. (yeah I know, I'm a female so I wanna talk about it, LOL). On #3, next year we will have a whole nother set of needs and will need some cap room for those too. So, again, if it's not going to kill us, sign him. Other things I have considered - bringing in someone new and starting from scratch with that guy. When your defense completely el suckos like last year, at least there's a guy back there that will and can tackle and tackle hard if he's not down before then. Winfield has 5 int's in his career with the Bills, agreed not overly impressive, but have to agree that most avoid his direction when possible bc he is well respected.

Also, in regards to #1, I am certainly not advocating signing the guy at top dollar.

(Since I'm at work and have lost my train of thought for the moment I'll just stop now, LOL. Sorry.)