PDA

View Full Version : Blaine Garret vs Mallet vs Cam Newton

Mike
01-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Out of these 3 QBs: Blaine Gabbert vs Mallet vs Cam Newton, who do you Prefer and Why?

Mad Max
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Garret? Blain? come on man, spelling errors will occur, no biggie..but to fugg up the guys name twice in a poll? lol

Seriously though, it's too early for me to decide between Gabbert and Newton. I want to see what he does in the NCG.

Mallett for me is a non starter.

IMissKelly
01-06-2011, 09:43 PM
malletts got potential

Mike
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
DraftBoy: What is your scouting report on the 3QBs. Which one of them do you prefer?

Mike
01-06-2011, 09:50 PM
I personally Like Mallet, a lot. He reminds me of Joe Flacco, I love his arm and the way he throws the ball. Cam Newton, to me is a slightly better, faster version of Vince Young. He throws a dart. To me it seems that Cam is a run first type of QB; he makes one read and then decides to run. As far as Blaine, there is something about Blaine Gabbert that is amiss. I think he can go bust. On the other hand, he was a very good college QB. Jake Locker is also interesting. I think he can be an above average NFL QB.

IMissKelly
01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
for experts to compare mallett to big ben is enough of a reaqson for me

Beebe's Kid
01-06-2011, 11:39 PM

While not necessarily a rapist he is one creepy ****er.

Seriously Ben has been great for the Steelers, but he is going to be a sad case one day...the dude has a ****load of concussions, and will probably be forced from the game early, and pissing himself by 40.

Also...Mallet doesn't look anything like Ben to me, in the limited amount I have seen him.

ServoBillieves
01-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Mallet. Only issue for me with Mallet is that he has a line in front of him right now and won't escape arm tackles so easily in the backfield of the NFL. As a Bill, it will take some time to build a solid line in front of him.

Mallet at QB
CJ/Freddy at HB
McIntyre at FB
Johnson/Evans/Parrish/Easely/Nelson/Jones at WR
... Whoever at TE
and a mediocre to possibly-after-FA decent OL...

I'd be OK.

Then spend every. Single. Other. Draft pick. On D.

Crisis
01-07-2011, 12:29 AM
stick with fitz, draft bowers/dareus/fairley, go 1-15 and get luck next year

JCBills
01-07-2011, 01:38 AM

Big Ben's ability to dodge people in the pocket is on another level. Mallett doesn't have that. What they have in common is size and a rocket arm, but Ben adds something to his game that few have. He's flat out dirty under pressure.

zone
01-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Mallet can make throws that 99.9% of the QB's in the NFL right now can not make. The problem is when he relies on that arm strength to get him out of a jam and doesn't set his feet. When he is under pressure he does not do well.

Extremebillsfan247
01-07-2011, 10:40 AM
If I were forced to choose right now, It would be Newton. I've seen him play, and next to Andrew Luck is probably the most athletically gifted talent at the position this year. He would be phenomenal in a Gailey type offense.

Commissioner
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Cam Newton = 1 year of experience.

Bills will not draft him that high.

Extremebillsfan247
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Cam Newton = 1 year of experience.

Bills will not draft him that high. he is still better than anyone in this years draft. That should say alot about the talent level at the QB position in this coming draft.

Extremebillsfan247
01-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Gabbert shouldn't even be in this discussion, He's ok but nothing great. The guy never lines up under center which is a problem at the Pro level, and he doesn't handle pressure on blitzes too well. For a guy who likes to run with the football, he gets sacked a lot. Another question I have on him is how in the world do you throw for over 3000 yards and only have 16 tds to show for it? Mallet and Newton are both in a different bracket talent wise. Anyone taking Gabbert in the first is reaching big. This guy should be no better than a 3rd rounder. JMO

imbondz
01-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I've only seen Mallet play once, and he threw 3 INTs.

I'm all for Cam Newton, the kid is a machine this year. Not sure how anyone would not be excited over his prospect. Course if he chokes in the BCS game, I take it all back.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
DraftBoy: What is your scouting report on the 3QBs. Which one of them do you prefer?

Gabbert is the most pro ready, but he still struggles with some aspects of the mental game. His reads are always right on, he plays with too much emotion and pushes in big games. This has caused him to make bad throws and throw picks at times. He can work on that though.

Mallett has the biggest arm and most potential to be a gunslinger of the three. Showed great velocity and touch in the Senior Bowl but like Gabbert his final throw will get you benched in the NFL. His read ability has improved greatly but he still struggles with zone blitzes and when pressure gets in his face his throws suffer. Also horrendous on the roll out.

Newton has the most potential of the trio but also the farthest to come. Right now he's in a one read and run system. He has to learn just about everything over again though his mechanics are fundamentally sound. He doesnt read very well, progress very well, and isnt a big "student of the game" his learning curb is steep and that's me being nice about it.

Ed
01-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I picked Gabbert, but I think Cam Newton is definitely the most intriguing prospect.

JCBills
01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Gabbert shouldn't even be in this discussion, He's ok but nothing great. The guy never lines up under center which is a problem at the Pro level, and he doesn't handle pressure on blitzes too well. For a guy who likes to run with the football, he gets sacked a lot. Another question I have on him is how in the world do you throw for over 3000 yards and only have 16 tds to show for it? Mallet and Newton are both in a different bracket talent wise. Anyone taking Gabbert in the first is reaching big. This guy should be no better than a 3rd rounder. JMO

Plenty of good NFL QBs came from college spreads. Also, did you happen to notice us going 4-5 wide quite a bit this season? Gailey would make the transition an easy one.

Mad Max
01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Plenty of good NFL QBs came from college spreads. Also, did you happen to notice us going 4-5 wide quite a bit this season? Gailey would make the transition an easy one.
Right. People forget (or some of the younger ones may not know) that with Gailey as OC the Steelers went to an AFC Championship game with Kordell freaking Stewart. Kordelia could not hold Newton's jock.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
I picked Gabbert, but I think Cam Newton is definitely the most intriguing prospect.If Cam can answer any possible issues with his character, it would be an intriguing pick. I think he's deceptive in his ability to throw the ball. He can put a good amount of touch on his throws. Add in what he can do athletically, he's interesting.

I'm going to be watching more of his ability to throw the ball.

JCBills
01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
If Cam can answer any possible issues with his character, it would be an intriguing pick. I think he's deceptive in his ability to throw the ball. He can put a good amount of touch on his throws. Add in what he can do athletically, he's interesting.

I'm going to be watching more of his ability to throw the ball.

I've seen him absolutely fire the ball at times, I'm still just not sure how well he'll do in the league.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
I've seen him absolutely fire the ball at times, I'm still just not sure how well he'll do in the league.I didn't mean arm strength, I meant accuracy, touch, mechanics, and his ability to read defenses and find open guys.

Night Train
01-07-2011, 04:51 PM
The Bills probably won't select any of them.

Why torture yourself ?

JCBills
01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I didn't mean arm strength, I meant accuracy, touch, mechanics, and his ability to read defenses and find open guys.

I know, just saying that one of the things on the list isn't an issue, I'm not sold on him altogether though.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
The Bills probably won't select any of them.

Why torture yourself ?Bills fan = sadomasochist

YardRat
01-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Gabbert.

More because of red flags for Mallett and Newton than anything else.

TigerJ
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I think Gabbert has the chance to be productive the earliest for the Bills, but Newton has a higher ceiling with his run abillity. Mallett's immobility scares me, and will until the Bills' offensive line gets a lot better

The Jokeman
01-07-2011, 07:38 PM
What about D) Colin Kaepernick? He won't be a 1st Rounder but is a four year starter at Neveda and improved his passing numbers every year but also one helluva runner granted he plays in the Pistol but could be a benefit since Gailey is familiar with it and actually run a form of it in the NFL. Toss in he has NFL size at 6-6 220. To me he's the ideal development type QB that might be able to take with one of two 4th Rounders. To me he's a Dennis Dixon type.

Extremebillsfan247
01-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Plenty of good NFL QBs came from college spreads. Also, did you happen to notice us going 4-5 wide quite a bit this season? Gailey would make the transition an easy one.Did you watch how Brohm handled Gaileys offense against the Jets backups? That's a preview of what it would look like with Gabbert back behind center here. It wont work.

jdbillsfan
01-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Cam Newton for me. I thought Mallet played well in the Sugar Bowl though, which was good. Strong arm, accurate, etc.

Newton just seems like he could be dominant. An MVP type candidate, once he has been in a system for a couple of years.

Electrici
01-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I think Newton has the talent... good arm, mobility, etc... I am extremely worried about what happens to his demeanor when he's paid. I'm probably looking too much into it, but it really does worry me. I just don't want another swing and a miss in the 1st round.

Mad Max
01-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I think Newton has the talent... good arm, mobility, etc... I am extremely worried about what happens to his demeanor when he's paid. I'm probably looking too much into it, but it really does worry me. I just don't want another swing and a miss in the 1st round.

The Rookie Cap portion of the new CBA is going to go a long way towards attitude adjustment/maintenance of the players coming in from here on in.

Tatonka
01-08-2011, 12:14 AM

newton has been getting paid for a while now.. lol.

mallett looks like drew bledsoe to me. he has no ability to get away from a pass rush at all and relies totally on his arm strength.. you pressure him and he throws picks. i am not a fan at all.

newton has the highest ceiling i think and while i dont think he will be ready to go in year 1, i am all for him. if the bills could somehow trade down and grab him and blackmon.. i would do back flips.

Mike
01-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Newton just reminds me of Vince Young way too much. He runs a better than VY, however he has the same type of dart throw, similar arm strength and is coming out of a one read and run system just like VY. I don't think he will have the QBing part of the game down for at least 3yrs if at all. He might be a better version of VY and a lesser version of Vick. What scares me most is that he might not try, according to DraftBoy he is not a student of the game, and you can not force someone to learn...

Mike
01-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Gabbert seems somewhat average to me. He is a good average QB, he does not make me go WOW. I think best case scenario, he can be extremely effective running a WC or Open Offense.

Mallet's throwing ability does make me go WOW. I love the way he throws the ball, his accuracy is good, and his running ability is not bad. Watch some of his games, he does scramble well enough.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Newton just reminds me of Vince Young way too much. He runs a better than VY, however he has the same type of dart throw, similar arm strength and is coming out of a one read and run system just like VY. I don't think he will have the QBing part of the game down for at least 3yrs if at all. He might be a better version of VY and a lesser version of Vick. What scares me most is that he might not try, according to DraftBoy he is not a student of the game, and you can not force someone to learn...I like the way Newton throws the ball better than VY and I actually like his ability to handle adversity better. VY strikes me as a bit of a baby and a bit fragile. Yet Newton has handled all the adversity without acting out in a negative manner by all accounts. I don't think character questions are answered yet by any means. But going on what we know, I like his his approach better than VY's and I think I like his football skills better as well.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Gabbert seems somewhat average to me. He is a good average QB, he does not make me go WOW. I think best case scenario, he can be extremely effective running a WC or Open Offense.

Mallet's throwing ability does make me go WOW. I love the way he throws the ball, his accuracy is good, and his running ability is not bad. Watch some of his games, he does scramble well enough.Gabbert has had "wow" moments. I think he just didn't show enough of it and also made some bad decisions. I like what he's done on the field this year and think he could easily become more consistent than Mallet. I see a brighter future with Gabbert than Mallett to be honest. think he handles the game better, has a better approach, and a better character to be honest.

As far as the type of offense he might be best suited for, I think he fits very well with ours. We run a very similar offense a lot of the time. I really like how he might project into what we already do.

John Doe
01-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Newton could certainly contribute right away in "wildcat" packages - opponents might have to game plan for him.

Mad Bomber
01-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Gabbert please.

I like Newton's physical attributes, but my question is to whether he can read NFL defenses. I don't want Jamarcus Russell 2.0.

Jan Reimers
01-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Kordelia could not hold Newton's jock.
But he'd like to.

k-oneputt
01-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Gabbert with Mallett close second, and three years from now don't be surprised if Locker is the best of all of them.
Personally I want no part of Newton. More run then pass and I don't think he studies the game much . Just my opinion.

JCBills
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Did you watch how Brohm handled Gaileys offense against the Jets backups? That's a preview of what it would look like with Gabbert back behind center here. It wont work.

Aaaand you know this how?