PDA

View Full Version : A case for drafting JJ Watt (+ a 2 round Mock)

The Slave
01-07-2011, 02:33 AM
It is no secret that this draft is full of high end talent that might stretch all the way into the late 2nd round.

Bills currently possess the 3rd overall pick, and I don't think that players rated in that vicinity justify the 3rd overall selection. I find Marcel Dareus and Nick Fairley to be quality prospects, but not top 5 caliber at all. I find A.J Green to be a very intriguing prospect, but the Bills IMO are better off stocking talent in other areas where there is much more of a need. With Andrew Luck staying in Stanford, guys like Ryan Mallet, Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton might get top 10 buzz, but are they really worthy to be picked in that area?

I think the best thing the Bills can do is trade down, possibly with a team in the mid to late teens and grab another 2nd rounder along with way (possibly more). The 2nd round is filled with quality talent that the Bills can take advantage off and fill areas of need.

St. Louis Rams currently possess the 14th overall pick and should be in the market for a WR to give Bradford a go-to weapon.

Buffalo trades: 3rd overall to Rams
St. Louis trades: 14th overall + 2nd rounder '11 to Bills.

End Result: 3 picks in the top 2 rounds with plenty of talent to choose from.

Mock Draft

1st round:

14th overall

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/74/742501.jpg

Buffalo selects JJ Watt DT/DE - Wisconsin
Watt might just be the most underrated player in the 1st round. He's got a great IQ for the game and a great motor to go along with it. He'll be an impact pass rusher for us and is one of the more safer selections come draft time. Watt is a type of player teams like New England and Baltimore gun for.

2nd Round:

35th overall

http://www.ncaagridirongab.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Anthony-Costanzo.jpg

Buffalo selects Anthony Costanzo LT - Boston College
Well coached. Good technique. Will definitely give our O-Line a boost.

St. Louis 2nd '11

http://wwwcache.wralsportsfan.com/asset/colleges/unc/2009/11/07/6371865/11_07_09_08_33_42pm_JTR5644-576x432.jpg

Buffalo selects Marvin Austin DT - North Carolina
The suspension might cause his stock to drop but I think he will be a steal if available in the middle of the 2nd round. We shore up our defense immensely with the picks of Watt and Austin.

If Austin is not available, Buffalo may consider the likes of Kyle Rudolph or Greg Jones.

Night Train
01-07-2011, 03:26 AM
I don't know if I've ever seen someone post their idea and then thank themselves before anyone else read it. :rofl:

It's not bad.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Can we please stop with the ryan denney types....

TMu11
01-07-2011, 05:13 AM
what, white?

ParanoidAndroid
01-07-2011, 05:48 AM
North Carolina could give us 2 players able to vastly improve. Both of them were suspended. Quinn and Austin are both top-flight players.

chernobylwraiths
01-07-2011, 06:00 AM
I think moving down from 3 to 14 is worth just a bit more than an extra 2nd. Someone will have to post the draft pick value chart again.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2011, 06:02 AM
what, white?

yes, and slow, high motor, good character etc etc etc. **** that, i want thugs who want to kill people....

give me dareus, bowers, fairley,

if we trade down give me jordan, heyward, clayborn, amukamura, etc

or take a ot...

did you see dalton outrun watt to the endzone in the rose bowl... it was pathetic

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2011, 06:03 AM
only way i trade down to to 14 is if we get a extra 2nd and 3rd... and even then i might not do it. we have a chace to get a franchise player...

TMu11
01-07-2011, 06:30 AM
yes, and slow, high motor, good character etc etc etc. **** that, i want thugs who want to kill people....

or take a ot...

did you see dalton outrun watt to the endzone in the rose bowl... it was pathetic

Those 'types' of players are run out of town before they get a chance to be Franchise players

psubills62
01-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Mocking trades: :chair:

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Being in Wisconsin I have seen JJ Watt play plenty. He's NOT Ryan Denney. More like Clay Matthews.

cookie G
01-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Good thing teams don't run the option in the NFL much. Did you see him against TCU? He really got hung out to dry a few times in the beginning of the game. They had to call a TV time out just so he could pick his jock off the turf.

Beebe's Kid
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM

or take a ot...

Come on, Mitchell, you're better than that...at least I thought you were.

Ed
01-07-2011, 10:26 AM
I love the idea of trading down, but if we're moving all the way to #14 from #3 we should definitely get more then just a 2nd. I'm also not a big fan of using 2 of our first 3 picks on the D-line. Are best player on D is Kyle Williams, we added Edwards in free agency, and used a 2nd and 3rd last year on the D-line. I have no problem trying to get an impact D-lineman with our first pick, but we really need some LB's after that.

DraftBoy
01-07-2011, 10:29 AM

You are the one who wants us to take Kerrigan....

mayotm
01-07-2011, 10:36 AM
It's that time of year again. Many will have the brilliant idea for the Bills to trade down for more picks. It's a fine theory. The problem is finding a partner. It's going to be extremely difficult for the Bills to find a team that wants to move up to three. So, start figuring out who you want at three because that's very likely where the Bills will be picking.

Bill Cody
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Tom Donahoe would love the Watt pick

Yasgur's Farm
01-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I think moving down from 3 to 14 is worth just a bit more than an extra 2nd. Someone will have to post the draft pick value chart again.LOL... #3 pick overall is worth 2200 points.
Rams entire 7 round of picks is worth kust 1829.8 points.
They'd have to throw in 2012's 2nd rounder as well.

http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

Mahdi
01-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Not enough compensation and the "JJ Watt is like Clay Mathews" comment is way off. Cause he's white maybe?

ct bills fan
01-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Costanzo at #35, isn't he a vrtual lock for the mid/late 1st rd? As stated before, Stl would have to give us their 2nd's in 2011 and 2012. If we don't love anybosy at #3, hopefully we can move down but it doesn't seem like Buddy's style.

Bill Cody
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Costanzo at #35, isn't he a vrtual lock for the mid/late 1st rd? As stated before, Stl would have to give us their 2nd's in 2011 and 2012. If we don't love anybosy at #3, hopefully we can move down but it doesn't seem like Buddy's style.

I agree with you. There's not a lot of talent at OT in this draft. Unlikely Constanzo lasts that long. I could see a team like Dallas wanting to move up from 9 to 3 for a Peterson. That might be interesting and Buddy might be willing to do it since it keeps us in the top 10. But even that would probably take their 2nd plus a 4th next year. I really can't see the Bills taking yet another white DE. Those guys rarely pan out. Call that racism if you like but there it is. Personally I think you have to take the DL guys a little earlier than you'd like, they get snapped up before the ratings might indicate.

Oaf
01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Watts is the man, I like him.

But how can anyone honestly not be picking any linebackers in the first 3 rounds?

Bill Cody
01-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Watts is the man, I like him.

But how can anyone honestly not be picking any linebackers in the first 3 rounds?

Not sure but Spiller is a Bill and we waited till the 5th to take Wang.:wtf: