PDA

View Full Version : Last win against a good team?

trapezeus
01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
When did the bills beat a good team last? I honestly can't remember. I'm not going to define a good team; i'll leave that up to you. Maybe the metric is above .500. Maybe it's a team that has talent across all three phases of the game.

Is it the 2003 Patriots game?

imbondz
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Good question. I think a good team would mean they had to at least make the playoffs.

Prov401
01-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Beat the Jets last year...

And San Diego in 2008 when we thought Edwards was going to be our franchise..

Ed
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I think we also beat Cincy recently in a year that they went to the playoffs...

trapezeus
01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
You know what is hysterical to me about the Bills Jets Meadowlands game the last two years?

Last year the Bills had 6 turnovers and needed ***** OT to win 16-13. The bills turn the ball over 6 times this year and get crushed 38-7. This team is just too mediocre at every aspect of the game.

The chargers game at the time seemed like a big win. but the chargers were flat at the start of that season. And that was the poweroutage game.

i feel like in the last 10 years, there are maybe three games where i was pumped up.
1. Bills beat Minnesota in overtime in Bledsoe's first season. Thought the season would be better than it was
2. Bills vs Pats...obviously
3. Bills vs. Jags the following week. Thought we were on the road to the superbowl.

Literally the rest of the wins were really boring. Even in that 5-1 run, it was maddening out close they played pretty awful teams.

Beebe's Kid
01-07-2011, 12:28 PM
You know what is hysterical to me about the Bills Jets Meadowlands game the last two years?

Last year the Bills had 6 turnovers and needed ***** OT to win 16-13. The bills turn the ball over 6 times this year and get crushed 38-7. This team is just too mediocre at every aspect of the game.

The chargers game at the time seemed like a big win. but the chargers were flat at the start of that season. And that was the poweroutage game.

i feel like in the last 10 years, there are maybe three games where i was pumped up.
1. Bills beat Minnesota in overtime in Bledsoe's first season. Thought the season would be better than it was
3. Bills vs. Jags the following week. Thought we were on the road to the superbowl.

Literally the rest of the wins were really boring. Even in that 5-1 run, it was maddening out close they played pretty awful teams.

Ok, I'll give you the games were close, but they were 5-1, and had just beat the Chargers in a game that the Bills won. I mean we executed better than the opposition. We capitalized on scoring chances, played defense, etc.

Maybe nobody wants to admit it, but I was ****ing pumped at 5-1. I thought we were for real. If you can say that you didn't like that team, and the wins, I think you're nuts. Again, I know who we beat, and I know the scores, but it was 5-1.

I remember the old saying "fake it 'til you make it," and that is what I was hoping we would be able to do. We were certainly an odds on favorite to make the post season.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that, since the Pats win, 5-1, after the Chargers game, was the highest I've been in the last ten years. I thought getting Bledsoe was awesome, but that isn't the same as looking in the paper to see 5-1, just waiting for the little * to mean "Clinched Playoff Berth."

Bill Cody
01-07-2011, 12:33 PM

That Minnesota game was quite possibly the most exciting football game I have ever seen.

trapezeus
01-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Beebe, my response was kind of a historical look back at 5-1. At the time, i was excited, but i had a suspicion that Jauron couldn't keep it up. at 4-1, i knew we beat bad teams and just lost to a crappy cardinals team (didn't know at the time they were superbowl bound).

But that chargers game at the time was unreal. HEre we have edwards bounce back from a nasty hit and beat a perennial playoff team convincingly. I left the stadium pretty sure that that was what we needed to turn the corner. And jauron just sucked the life out of us. The team performed so poorly in the following weeks that it was a joke that they retained him another year.

historically though, you can kind of dissect what really happened.

Bill Cody
01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Beebe, my response was kind of a historical look back at 5-1. At the time, i was excited, but i had a suspicion that Jauron couldn't keep it up. at 4-1, i knew we beat bad teams and just lost to a crappy cardinals team (didn't know at the time they were superbowl bound).

But that chargers game at the time was unreal. HEre we have edwards bounce back from a nasty hit and beat a perennial playoff team convincingly. I left the stadium pretty sure that that was what we needed to turn the corner. And jauron just sucked the life out of us. The team performed so poorly in the following weeks that it was a joke that they retained him another year.

So true. It is almost hard to comprehend how much of a future star Trent Edwards looked in that game compared to the mouse turd he turned out to be. I honestly think after Edwards had what appears to be a sex change operation Jauron got a whole lot dumber, not that he was ever Bill Walsh.

Mahdi
01-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Jets last year.

trapezeus
01-07-2011, 01:36 PM
jets last year simply didn't feel like a big win though. It was a classic boring meadowlands game. and like i said before, usually a 6 turnover game should turn into a blowout like it did this year for the jets.

Beebe's Kid
01-07-2011, 01:46 PM

I hear you...this is a good thread, albeit it is a little bit of a bummer.

I didn't say this is my first response, but I think you may have been able to tell this isn't the first time I have given this some thought.

This is actually my big pink elephant when I contemplate the future. This is the reason I really wanted one of our big games this year. Obviously I enjoy watching the Bills win, but I knew, as I think we all did, this was going to be a rough year. I was seriously hoping that we'd get one of the big ones.

To qualify what I mean by "big ones," I mean Patriots or Steelers. There were a lot of good teams we played, but those were the two that would have meant something to me. I know I am not alone in this sentiment, and that many out there felt the same.

As for our "awesome" 5-1 start, I thought Trent was the real deal when he bounced back to beat the Chargers. I think a lot of us did. Doesn't that seem like it was ages ago?

I really hope that we get some key players and make some improvements this year. I know you go to the games, as well, and I really can't express how awesome it would be to see a playoff game at the Ralph.

trapezeus
01-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I hear that. i think winning a big game would have been good for the team. but in the end, it seemed to be fine that it played out the way it did.

Before we even talk playoffs, i want the bills to win a season opener, and then i want them to keep pace with their AFC brethren. I think if they start out strong and win a big game in the first 4 games, we don't have to talk about "obtaining a winning attitude." It'll be there.

I want to be able to be on thanksgiving vacation and watch a bills game that has me sweating. i want to watch a two minute drill and have my heart beating in my throat because losing that game is not an option.

I can't remember the last time that i was on the edge of my seat with a game on the line. Maybe oakland in 2008. But that was embarassing at the time that we had to go to the end with them at our own place.

I think it might be the bledsoe vikings OT game.