PDA

View Full Version : Gailey doesn't rule out QB at 3

BillsWin
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
“No, I wouldn’t say that at all,” Gailey said.*”What has to happen is everybody has to understand is that I think Fitz is a really good quarterback and I think he can take our team to the playoffs, but if you’ve got a chance to get a guy that you think for 10 or 12 years is going to be the guy, Fitz has moved on up in years too.

“How many years do you expect to be able to draft at number three and be able to get a guy like that even if you put him under wraps for a year or two, while you’re grooming him? You have to consider that. We’re not in here just thinking about short term next year what can we do for the Buffalo Bills. Buddy (Nix) and I are committed to the long term success of the Buffalo Bills.”

Any QB fit that bill?

BillsWin
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
This is from bb.com

Bangarang
01-07-2011, 01:58 PM
At #3? Probably Cam Newton. Especially if he has a really good championship game and does well at the combine and during interviews. The athleticism is there. The arm is there. It's just a matter of getting him acclimated to running a pro offense and going through multiple progressions.

Not saying we should or shouldn't draft him but he seems like a guy Chan would like for his offense.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Wow what a refreshing view from a Bills head coach.

Gailey is the right man for the job.

Mad Max
01-07-2011, 02:00 PM
That read like a warning volley to those fans who don't want us taking a QB.

Prepare for us to (over)draft Newton or Gabbert. Which after overdrafting bums like McCargo, Losman, Whitner, Williams, et al, I am perfectly OK with.

Don't Panic
01-07-2011, 02:01 PM
It is going to be an interesting three+ months!

Bangarang
01-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Prepare for us to (over)draft Newton or Gabbert. Which after overdrafting bums like McCargo, Losman, Whitner, Williams, et al, I am perfectly OK with.

People won't care that we reached for someone if they turn out to be a star. However, if we do pick a guy like Newton or Gabbert and they completely bust...then yeah, that's going to hurt for a while.

psubills62
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Of course you're going to keep your options open. I doubt Gailey wants to tip his hand (if they even have a hand at this point) 3.5 months before the draft.

I'm still confident they won't draft a QB at #3.

Mahdi
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Like Gailey said, BPA.

k-oneputt
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Everyone talks about "reach". Whose to say right now that the guy picked #15 isn't better then the guy pick #5 ?

It happens all the time. Just because one of the so called "experts" say's it isn't "value" doesn't mean it's right.

elltrain22
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm tellin ya right now, if we draft Newton, we finally have something. I just hope if we plan to do that, that they address DL via free agency.

Commissioner
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Like Gailey said, BPA.

Best Pussie Available?

madness
01-07-2011, 02:41 PM

I read that as the exact opposite. If there is a QB actually worth taking at 3, they'll take him but don't expect us to play him right away.

bigfish2112
01-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I read that as the exact opposite. If there is a QB actually worth taking at 3, they'll take him but don't expect us to play him right away.
Thats what i took out of it to. Fitz is going to be the starter next year if we get a Qb in the draft or not . This would be the best situation to draft a Qb have him sit for a year maybe two that would be ideal.

jamze132
01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
The position the Bills are in, no position can be overlooked at #3. It would be nice to be able to fill as many positions as possible through FA, but that's probably not going to be the case at QB. Fitz can handle the position temporarily and I'm sure Fitz would be an outstanding mentor and teacher to any young QB drafted.

Oh and as far as my previous statement about no position can be overlooked, we better not draft no damn WR or RB.

RockStar36
01-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Nothing besides CB, RB, or WR should be ruled out at #3.

Mad Max
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
People won't care that we reached for someone if they turn out to be a star....

Of course not. But when the guy is drafted and until he gets on the field and (hopefully) starts to shine there will be much "we give up 400 rushing yards per game and we reach for a QB" sort of *****ing.

*****ing at annoyingly high levels akin to that which you'll be hearing from me if we draft another.freaking.first round.DB. waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

:banghead:

THATHURMANATOR
01-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I don't mind them taking any of the QBs in the draft if they are fully expecting him to be a great player.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Any QB fit that bill?Check the avatar.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
The position the Bills are in, no position can be overlooked at #3. It would be nice to be able to fill as many positions as possible through FA, but that's probably not going to be the case at QB. Fitz can handle the position temporarily and I'm sure Fitz would be an outstanding mentor and teacher to any young QB drafted.

Oh and as far as my previous statement about no position can be overlooked, we better not draft no damn WR or RB.I like your comment because I think it plays a big part in what will happen.

If FA goes first which may still be a big if, we could see a few clear needs filled before we hit the draft.

And I agree that you won't get a franchise QB in FA.

madness
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Need or not, any GM who passes on AJ Green is a fool. A damn straight fool.

psubills62
01-07-2011, 03:17 PM

Come on, you don't want Mark Ingram?

Or maybe you'll be pushing for a punter at #3?

Hm...I'm intrigued...

THATHURMANATOR
01-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Need or not, any GM who passes on AJ Green is a fool. A damn straight fool.
HUH?

NOT THE DUDE...
01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
cam newton?

BuffaloBlitz83
01-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Newton or Mallet at 3

madness
01-07-2011, 03:56 PM
HUH?

Obviously hasn't played a down in the NFL yet but best WR prospect since Megatron, the short-twitch agility of Santana Moss (who's 5 inches shorter) at 6'4 200 lbs and has the athleticism almost comparable to Randy Moss. All this leads a sick pass catch radius, throw it near him and he'll catch it. If he develops like he should, he'll be impossible to cover 1 on 1 in the NFL.

BillsFever21
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Gailey isn't going to publicly rule out any position or player at this point even if they know exactly who they want to draft. No coach does or ever will. Why give away your draft strategy.

Night Train
01-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Newton would fit but I'd still rather see a DL.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Newton would fit but I'd still rather see a DL.If he can convince teams he's developed enough and that he has a sound approach to the game and character, he may have the most upside of any in the top 3.

He certainly could help this team day one in Wildcat formations.

I'm not against it, I just want to hear how teams feel about the type of person he is.

Nighthawk
01-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Wow what a refreshing view from a Bills head coach.

Gailey is the right man for the job.

Thank God that he finally said it...because if you listened to some on here, they shouldn't even consider it because we have Fitz! This is very good news...now let's see what happens between now and the draft and who falls where.

Nighthawk
01-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Gailey isn't going to publicly rule out any position or player at this point even if they know exactly who they want to draft. No coach does or ever will. Why give away your draft strategy.

Could be a way to drum up interest in the #3 pick, so that they can move down? Don't know, but seems smart to me.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Thank God that he finally said it...because if you listened to some on here, they shouldn't even consider it because we have Fitz! This is very good news...now let's see what happens between now and the draft and who falls where.That's exactly it right there. We can't predict yet.

TheBrownBear
01-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Last night I dreamt that we drafted Cam Newton, but when he arrived in Buffalo he was killed in a freak mega-tornado. Therefore, I think we should draft front 7.

YardRat
01-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Our CB's suck. If Peterson is there, you have to at least seriously consider him.

Green also, actually.

BuffaloBlitz83
01-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Last night I dreamt that we drafted Cam Newton, but when he arrived in Buffalo he was killed in a freak mega-tornado. Therefore, I think we should draft front 7.

lol

Nighthawk
01-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Our CB's suck. If Peterson is there, you have to at least seriously consider him.

Green also, actually.

This will not help this team become better anytime soon...you have to weigh the position and the impact. IMO, CB is hardly an immediate impact position on the defense...it makes an impact when you have a good front 7 already.

T-Long
01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
and this ladies and gentlemen is exactly why I view draft day as a holiday.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 07:12 PM
and this ladies and gentlemen is exactly why I view draft day as a holiday.So do I. My brother asked if I wanted to go to the draft with him this year... I just might do it.

T-Long
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
So do I. My brother asked if I wanted to go to the draft with him this year... I just might do it.
let me know cuz I'll be there the entire weekend man

TigerJ
01-07-2011, 07:30 PM
First, at this point in time, no coach or GM is going to rule out picking a player at any given position in the first round of the NFL draft, so I don't read too much into it. If Buffalo indeed drafted a QB, it most likely would be Newton, because he has the highest ceiling, even though he'll need a couple years to learn what he needs to know. The interview at the combine is going to be critical for any team considering Newton high in the first round. If he doesn't have the right attitude, he's not going to deal successfully with having to sit and learn.

X-Era
01-07-2011, 07:32 PM
First, at this point in time, no coach or GM is going to rule out picking a player at any given position in the first round of the NFL draft, so I don't read too much into it. If Buffalo indeed drafted a QB, it most likely would be Newton, because he has the highest ceiling, even though he'll need a couple years to learn what he needs to know. The interview at the combine is going to be critical for any team considering Newton high in the first round. If he doesn't have the right attitude, he's not going to deal successfully with having to sit and learn.Just read a piece on his approach and leadership:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=5993420

ct bills fan
01-08-2011, 11:16 AM
the more I've thought about it, the more I think Newton should be the guy. This team needs a homerun and he's the best chance to do so. DL/LB/OL can be upgraded in FA and rd 2/3/4. Newton can't. I haven't see anything like him - so fast and quick for his size. 1 year in major colllege is worrisome, but, no risk/no reward. I will also be at the draft on thu (rd 1), and Fri (2,3).

X-Era
01-08-2011, 11:24 AM
the more I've thought about it, the more I think Newton should be the guy. This team needs a homerun and he's the best chance to do so. DL/LB/OL can be upgraded in FA and rd 2/3/4. Newton can't. I haven't see anything like him - so fast and quick for his size. 1 year in major colllege is worrisome, but, no risk/no reward. I will also be at the draft on thu (rd 1), and Fri (2,3).He just needs to convince teams that he can be the type of leader and person that they need to run their offense and represent the franchise.

Buffalo Thriller
01-08-2011, 03:50 PM
If we draft Newton, I will dance in the streets.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 03:52 PM
If we draft Newton, I will dance in the streets.Newton would be the flashiest pick out of the QB's.

Mahdi
01-08-2011, 04:29 PM
We don't have a single pro bowler in the secondary how can CB be ruled out. Same with WR.

DrGraves
01-08-2011, 04:45 PM
i wish trading down was a realistic option..

TigerJ
01-08-2011, 07:03 PM
On the outside looking, there are some positions we as fans can rule out. At #3 overall, Buffalo is not going to draft a running back (none worthy), tight end (none worthy), offensive lineman (none worthy), fullback, place kicker or punter (no explanations needed). There is nothing else that can absolutely be ruled out. At WR AJ Green is the best who's been available for several years, and Evans may be gone (he's due a bonus that he's probably no worth). At CB, both Peterson and Amukamara are both pretty elite, and both could play safety if you wanted them to do that. Cam Newton has the talent to be the third overall draft choice. It's mainly a question of readiness. I don't think Auburn's offense has anywhere near the sophistication of a pro offense. So, if the Bills are OK with picking him and sitting him, then you can't rule him out. You've got three elite defensiveline cadidates in Bowers, Fairley, and Dareus, and then a rush linebacker candidate in Robert Quinn. That's pretty much going to be the pool out of which Buffalo's draft pick will come, minus the guys that Carolina and Denver pick.

Nighthawk
01-08-2011, 10:32 PM
We don't have a single pro bowler in the secondary how can CB be ruled out. Same with WR.

Because CBs are not going to make a difference on this team or any without a front seven. They just don't make a huge impact unless there are players around them...that's just the way it is. Picking a CB would be stupid.

Nighthawk
01-08-2011, 10:33 PM
On the outside looking, there are some positions we as fans can rule out. At #3 overall, Buffalo is not going to draft a running back (none worthy), tight end (none worthy), offensive lineman (none worthy), fullback, place kicker or punter (no explanations needed). There is nothing else that can absolutely be ruled out. At WR AJ Green is the best who's been available for several years, and Evans may be gone (he's due a bonus that he's probably no worth). At CB, both Peterson and Amukamara are both pretty elite, and both could play safety if you wanted them to do that. Cam Newton has the talent to be the third overall draft choice. It's mainly a question of readiness. I don't think Auburn's offense has anywhere near the sophistication of a pro offense. So, if the Bills are OK with picking him and sitting him, then you can't rule him out. You've got three elite defensiveline cadidates in Bowers, Fairley, and Dareus, and then a rush linebacker candidate in Robert Quinn. That's pretty much going to be the pool out of which Buffalo's draft pick will come, minus the guys that Carolina and Denver pick.

For the 1 millionth time...the Bills do not run a "pro style" offense...they run a version of the spread, so get over that!

X-Era
01-08-2011, 10:36 PM
For the 1 millionth time...the Bills do not run a "pro style" offense...they run a version of the spread, so get over that!They run the spread very often. And the Bills may actually look for a QB who runs that. A multi-faceted QB like Netwon may really appeal to an offensive minded HC like Gailey. It may be too much to pass up. A lot has to be shown and proven yet to earn Newton a top 10 rank. But, he could potentially offer a lot to our offense.

The Slave
01-09-2011, 12:42 AM
No to any QB save for Luck and he's going back. Buffalo fans need to realize that the 3rd overall in this supposed stacked draft needs to be capitalized on. We need a difference maker from this 3rd overall pick and we can't risk reaching for a QB who may or may not pan out.

I'd go with any of the players mentioned below before going after a QB:

Robert Quinn
Patrick Peterson
A.J Green
Da'Quan BowersToo many holes to fill first. Let's just improve our D.

better days
01-09-2011, 08:34 AM
No to any QB save for Luck and he's going back. Buffalo fans need to realize that the 3rd overall in this supposed stacked draft needs to be capitalized on. We need a difference maker from this 3rd overall pick and we can't risk reaching for a QB who may or may not pan out.

I'd go with any of the players mentioned below before going after a QB:

Robert Quinn
Patrick Peterson
A.J Green
Da'Quan BowersToo many holes to fill first. Let's just improve our D.

I would gamble on a QB at 3 that may be the franchise QB to lead the team for years over any CB or WR. A QB can be a difference maker a WR & CB not so much, no matter how good they are.

TigerJ
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
For the 1 millionth time...the Bills do not run a "pro style" offense...they run a version of the spread, so get over that!I do get that. There is a "pro set" usually with a running back, fullback, one tight end, two WRs, five linemen and a QB. While the Bills run a spread/pistol offense a good deal of the time, my guess is there is still a difference between a spread offense run at the college level and a spread run at the pro level. If Gailey's offense at the pro level were as simple as many spread offenses run at the college level, pro defenses would stifle it all the time. One of the criticisms of Cam Newton, Colin Kopaernick and others running spread offenses in college is that they are often "one read" QBs who are not asked on ever play to go to a second, third or fourth receiver when the initial target is covered. In the pros, not only will Newton have to look often to a second or third receiver, the receivers will at least sometimes have reads they have to make that can alter the intended route they run. So the QB not only has to make a read that will determine which receiver he's throwing to, he will have to be able to make the same read as his receiver regarding what route that receiver is going to run.

I could have been more specific, but when I was speaking about a pro offense, I was speaking of the relative complexity versus the college game, at least most of the time.

ddaryl
01-09-2011, 02:01 PM
some of you just read way to much into ****.

yes we could draft a QB, or we could go another route at #3.

not a ******* single thing has changed.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2011, 06:51 PM
all of this hinges on nix thinking there is a franchise qb there at 3. i think newton, mallett, and gabbert could all qualify. with that being said. the lions in the 2009 offseason had fans begging for defense, aaron curry was his name. they had the worst d in the league. they took stafford who was not a consensus number 1 pick... just something to think about.

franchise qb is something you simply do not pass up....

Extremebillsfan247
01-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Any QB fit that bill? Its probably between Newton and Mallet. Thats just a guess though. I would be stunned if they took Locker, but it could happen. Mallet and Locker were both talked about a lot last year as future prospects. JMO

WeAreArthurMoates
01-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I have a feeling Ralphie boy will force Newton to be the pick, especially if he has a great game tonight. Ralph wants a qb, especially with all the money tied into the 3rd pick. A blind squirell does find a nut once and while though, and this could be the case.

Bill Cody
01-10-2011, 09:13 AM
He just needs to convince teams that he can be the type of leader and person that they need to run their offense and represent the franchise.

I agree. He has the size, athletism and arm to be good maybe great. The two questions I have concern his smarts and his work ethic. NFL QB is the hardest position in sports. Being a great athlete isn't nearly enough. It took Mike Vick a decade and a trip to the slammer to get it. But I said this several times before: Newton would get a very close look from me. The people that haven't seen what he can do should watch the game tonight.

People talk about the combine telling a lot. No. Unless you count the interview part which I think is important in his case. Show me the wonderlic. If it's Vince Young II forget it.

Bill Cody
01-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Because CBs are not going to make a difference on this team or any without a front seven. They just don't make a huge impact unless there are players around them...that's just the way it is. Picking a CB would be stupid.

An accountant was sitting out in an empty field. A man came up to him and asked "where are we". The accountant said "we're in the middle of an empty field". The man said "oh you must be an accountant". The accountant said "yes, how did you know?" The man said "because your answer was totally accurate and absolutely useless"

I could make a strong case that with the present rules in place in the NFL CB is the hardest position on defense and 2nd hardest overall to QB. Now you're right that you can't cover for 7 seconds. But getting the DL without the corners is equally useless, it's a passing league. A true impact corner is hardly a stupid pick. Our trouble is we need like 10 first rounders to upgrade our defense. if we end up rejecting Newton I would be thrilled with an impact DT, DE or CB. As Bill Polian says, all are vital to a winning team. People were questioning why Bellichick took yet another CB in the 1st round last year when he had used like 5 picks on corners in the 1st two rounds in the past few years. They're not asking that now. What comes first the chicken or the egg? Answer: it doesn't matter.

Mahdi
01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Again we are talking about ONE pick. Just because we select a WR or CB with our first pick it does not mean we will not address the rest of our needs.

Would you rather have a starter or a probowler?

At 3 you have to have a player that will start day 1 and in a year or 2 become a regular pro-bowler.

You also have to realize that our DL was not bad this year. Our lack of pass rush was a OLB problem and our lack of run defense was an ILB problem.

There is only 1 OLB that is worth top 3 consideration, Quinn, and he didn't play this year and there is no ILB worth a top 15 pick let alone top 3.

We resigned Merriman for a reason. We also have some youth with Moats and Batten and Coleman.

If Merriman works out then our pass rush will improve as will our run D. At that point having a CB like Peterson behind them will be a huge asset.

EDS
01-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Again we are talking about ONE pick. Just because we select a WR or CB with our first pick it does not mean we will not address the rest of our needs.

Would you rather have a starter or a probowler?

At 3 you have to have a player that will start day 1 and in a year or 2 become a regular pro-bowler.

You also have to realize that our DL was not bad this year. Our lack of pass rush was a OLB problem and our lack of run defense was an ILB problem.

There is only 1 OLB that is worth top 3 consideration, Quinn, and he didn't play this year and there is no ILB worth a top 15 pick let alone top 3.

We resigned Merriman for a reason. We also have some youth with Moats and Batten and Coleman.

If Merriman works out then our pass rush will improve as will our run D. At that point having a CB like Peterson behind them will be a huge asset.

I think the d-line is part of the problem. Williams is a better fit in a 4-3 and the current crop of DEs are below average.

Mahdi
01-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I think the d-line is part of the problem. Williams is a better fit in a 4-3 and the current crop of DEs are below average.
I don't agree about KW. All season he has been shooting right through the OL and the run still goes for 10 yards. Our ILBs are not good run stoppers which is a huge problem in a 3-4. Add to that our OLBs are not good either in run support.

Moats had difficulty and Kelsay is horrible at keeping contain.

EDS
01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't agree about KW. All season he has been shooting right through the OL and the run still goes for 10 yards. Our ILBs are not good run stoppers which is a huge problem in a 3-4. Add to that our OLBs are not good either in run support.

Moats had difficulty and Kelsay is horrible at keeping contain.

I do not disagree that the linebackers are awful. I felt that way coming into the season and, quite frankly, they failed to meet even my low expectations. That said, I think Williams is better off in a 4-3 front where you can but a wide-body next to him to help occupy blockers.

I just do not see the Bills being able to stop the run effectively with Kyle Williams at nose tackle.