PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Priority ? MLB

Night Train
01-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Don't see the depth at all in the upcoming Draft, unlike DE/DT. Poz doesn't hit the hole and is more of a drag down tackler. Now that he's free, I wouldn't resign him.

Bills can't compete until they get stronger up the middle on D.They obviously switched to a 4-3 set most downs during the 2nd half of the year and that only helps Kyle Williams. Keep it that way.

The top ones out there would be David Harris-Jets, Stephen Tullock-Titans & Desmond Bishop-Packers. All are strong against the run.

Throw some $$ at one of them and get the DL help in the draft. JMO.

YardRat
01-07-2011, 08:11 PM
We ABSOLUTELY NEED to get at least one LBer in FA, preferably for the inside. Up it to two with an OLB and that would be just amazing.

Bust ass to get Harris and Woodley, maybe add a TE or OT, call it a day and walk away a winner.

wmoz11
01-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Bishop extended with GB.

better days
01-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Don't see the depth at all in the upcoming Draft, unlike DE/DT. Poz doesn't hit the hole and is more of a drag down tackler. Now that he's free, I wouldn't resign him.

Bills can't compete until they get stronger up the middle on D.They obviously switched to a 4-3 set most downs during the 2nd half of the year and that only helps Kyle Williams. Keep it that way.

The top ones out there would be David Harris-Jets, Stephen Tullock-Titans & Desmond Bishop-Packers. All are strong against the run.

Throw some $$ at one of them and get the DL help in the draft. JMO.

I am not a fan of Poz, but I will be surprised if he isn't resigned.

bigbub2352
01-07-2011, 11:17 PM
completely agree....would love to land a top MLB

BertSquirtgum
01-07-2011, 11:36 PM
it would absolutely stupid not to re-sign poz. he isn't a world changer but he is as solid as they come. i agree with letting whitner walk because he is over valuing himself but the Bills should not let the poz get away. getting someone good on the inside to play next to him may help him out. the linebacking core from this past year was absolutely horrid. moats is showing signs but we need a lot more out of the linebackers.

Billz_fan
01-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I do agree with you NT, However wasn't it the plan of this group to build the team via draft and not via FA ? I realize also you are just bringing it up for discussion.

In the end there is no way IMO that this team can become what they need to be without participating in FA. By that I do not mean signing scrubs in FA either. I mean actual contributing impact FA's. As I said I agree I just don't think they will do anything in FA.

Bangarang
01-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Looking forward to see what Batten can do for us on the inside.

Night Train
01-08-2011, 05:55 AM
I do agree with you NT, However wasn't it the plan of this group to build the team via draft and not via FA ? I realize also you are just bringing it up for discussion.

In the end there is no way IMO that this team can become what they need to be without participating in FA. By that I do not mean signing scrubs in FA either. I mean actual contributing impact FA's. As I said I agree I just don't think they will do anything in FA.
Your point is most valid.

Nix/Whaley will build this team primarily through the draft, no question. I just see MLB as being very subpar in this draft class. Maybe one of the Rooks from last year can step forward, like Batten or others but that's a complete unknown right now. With the gamble on Merriman, Moats, Coleman etc. ,they may have their main players on the outside (notice I left Maybin out).

Meanwhile, the middle looks painfully thin and getting one good starter out of FA isn't stepping out of character.

YardRat
01-08-2011, 06:16 AM
If they were going to build exclusively through the draft, they wouldn't have signed the FA's they did last season, especially considering the dearth of talent available at the time.

We'll get one, maybe two starters in FA this year.

Buddo
01-08-2011, 07:05 AM
FA this year, could actually give the FO the opportunity to add a lot of decent depth tbh. Irrespective of what happens with a new CBA, there's going to be a pretty large FA class available this year, due to the amount of guys who ended up as RFAs last year, after the existing CBA got cancelled by the owners.

I think it's a fair comment about not actually being able to build completely without dabbling in the odd high profile FA, but I don't think that we are close enough to warrant that atm.

I believe Poz should be re-signed,as he is solid. We do still need better from the MLB positions though. As with a number of other positions, getting Merriman might help the play of our MLBs, by occupying blockers elsewhere. Sometimes adding a weapon elsewhere, will have a beneficial effect on positions that have struggled somewhat, without the pressure that weapon can bring.

It's also the case, that the depth of the team is an issue. The likes of Poz, Davis, Torbor - if re-signed/still under contract - can make more of a difference there, providing we get an upgrade or two, whether in FA or the draft.

One thing we do seem to have done through the season, is to actually bring in guys who can make a contribution to the team, rather than just throwing a bunch of street guys at a position, and see what sticks. In that respect, I do see some progress being made gradually. It may seem somewhat odd to say it, but I felt that injuries aside, the roster improved over the season - not hugely, but enough to see that the FO was actually working away in the background.

gonzo1105
01-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I'd love to get my hands on either Greg Jones(even though he is undersized) or Nate Irving in the middle rounds for our defense.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 09:50 AM
I'd love to get my hands on either Greg Jones(even though he is undersized) or Nate Irving in the middle rounds for our defense.I really like Derrell Smith and I think he's very underrated. Add a 2nd or 3rd round LB plus a late guy. I like it.

However, I'd really like to see a significant FA added like Ruud or Harris. And that would be in addition to resigning Poz.

tampabay25690
01-08-2011, 09:58 AM
I really like Derrell Smith and I think he's very underrated. Add a 2nd or 3rd round LB plus a late guy. I like it.

However, I'd really like to see a significant FA added like Ruud or Harris. And that would be in addition to resigning Poz.

Ruud I like and i think he would do better away from thae tampa 2....

Mahdi
01-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Stephen Cooper (Chargers), Kevin Burnett (Chargers).... Cooper is a very very good ILB and pretty much runs their defense.

Stewart Bradley (Eagles).. Guy is a beast when healthy.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-08-2011, 10:30 AM
cooper would be nice but only for a couple years, i think he is 32...

in the draft i like sheppard, bynes, harvey

another fa is derrick johnson...

kingJofNYC
01-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Burnett stinks, he couldn't shed a block if his life depended on it. There's a reason he couldn't get on the field in Dallas.

Greenway's a great LB as well, could probably play inside a bit, think he'll go back to Minnesota anyway.

Mahdi
01-08-2011, 10:55 AM
cooper would be nice but only for a couple years, i think he is 32...

in the draft i like sheppard, bynes, harvey

another fa is derrick johnson...
I think Derrick Johnson resigned... If not he would be the ultimate FA pickup for us.

yup resigned: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/23/2540260/linebacker-johnson-evolves-into.html

Mahdi
01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Burnett stinks, he couldn't shed a block if his life depended on it. There's a reason he couldn't get on the field in Dallas.

Greenway's a great LB as well, could probably play inside a bit, think he'll go back to Minnesota anyway.
He had a good year in SD.

evol4276
01-08-2011, 11:55 AM
may be a stupid question right now, but i know in the past people posted the free agency list for the year. anybody have such a thing yet for this year???

jimbohastle51
01-08-2011, 02:44 PM
poz will be resigned before free agency opens. also do not be surprised if akin ayedole resigns because he is a cheap option and was very servicable.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
poz will be resigned before free agency opens. also do not be surprised if akin ayedole resigns because he is a cheap option and was very servicable.I hope your right. IU want Poz here long term and I'mn all for resigning the vets to the league minimum. If they get beat out by someone just cut them then.

Mr. Pink
01-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I'd rather let Poz walk this year and replace him in the offseason. Go with Andra Davis/FA for next season.

The reasons for this are...Neither Davis nor Poz are good enough, period. If Pos is extended he's gonna be here for 4-5 more seasons of mediocrity with no way to viably replace him because of what his contract is gonna be. Meanwhile Davis will be gone much sooner and is much cheaper.

Is POS better than Davis? Probably, but not by an amount worth keeping him here for another 5 years.

Eventually
01-08-2011, 03:52 PM
I'd like Poz back like some others have said, but also would like to upgrade or at least get some depth that won't hurt us with Him and Davis both Injury prone.

The draft does seem weak in this area so FA would be the likely way to go