• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Offseason Strategy- Free Agency- Defense

I've been doing some work looking at impending free agents. I think we should resign Poz but that even if we do, we need to add LB'ers and possibly defensive linemen from free agency. Obviously the CBA will affect everything but this thread assumes free agency comes before the draft.

Here's guys that I would love to see as Bills:

Paul Soliai, NT- Fins- Fantastic year, 27 years old, 6' 4" 355. He's a bit of a one year wonder and hopefully for a team that makes an offer, it may affect what he could command. Wlifork signed for 5 years and 40 mill. I'd hope we could get him for 5 years and 35 mill or less. For what he could mean to your run defense, he should be worth that. If your just going to make one big splash on defense, I'd be happy with this one.

David Harris, ILB- Jets- Quietly racked up 99 total tackles and 3 sacks. He's 6' 2" 245. He's only 26 years old. The Jets have spent huge money on what they have. Many think they just won't be able to afford him. He's the type of run stopper who you put next to Poz and you potentially have a defense where no one can run up the middle.

With Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson signed and the media circus around Darrelle Revis’ holdout, little is heard about the fourth member of the Jets “Core Four”… David Harris...

Lamar Woodley, OLB- Pitt- Continues to be one of the elite 3-4 OLB's in the league. 26 years old, has had double digit sacks in 08 and 09 and 9.5 this year. He's a stud plain and simple. Pitt has the number 1 run defense and he's major part of that equation. He's an elite player and will command that type of money.

Chad Greenway, OLB- Min- Another guy who continues to get better and better. 4th in the league with 144 total tackles. He's 27.

Takeo Spikes, ILB- SF- Would love to bring him back for a few years. SF was the 6th best team against the run this year. Takeo played ILB next to Willis and racked up 109 tackles. He's 34 and may only have a few years left. But he can't command a big contract anymore and would be an upgrade to our backups for sure. His leadership and nasty approach would be nice. It wasn't the current regime that canned him, and you could use him as a stopgap while you develop a rookie. If nothing else it's a cheap route that could make us better inside right away.

Barret Ruud, ILB- TB- He's a 27 year old who has played rock solid and racked up 120 total tackles this year with 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and an INT. He can play and would be a great complement to Poz on the inside.
    Last edited by X-Era; 01-08-2011, 08:56 PM.

• SquishDaFish
    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
    • Jun 2005

Re: Offseason Strategy- Free Agency- Defense

I would love to have Poz and Harris together in the middle

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SquishDaFish
      I would love to have Poz and Harris together in the middle
      If we did little else in free agency on defense, I would be pretty happy. I don't think the inside linebacker class is very strong this year but I think the outside linebacker class is decent. I think we need to land the inside backer in free agency and maybe add a late rounder.
      Last edited by X-Era; 01-08-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• JCBills
        • Jan 2010

The Jets are looking at having to extend / re-sign quite a few guys, so you're right on people speculating that he might get knocked down their list of priorities.

Comment

• psubills62
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2008

No thanks to Soliai. He'll be looking for big money after one good year. I'd rather get a late round space eater, maybe even a UDFA. I'd personally prefer Aubrayo Franklin at this point. Maybe even Sione Pouha in 2012 if the Jets happen to not re-sign him (doubtful, imo).
          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• JCBills
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era
            If we did little else in free agency on defense, I would be pretty happy. I don't think the inside linebacker class is very strong this year but I think the outside linebacker class is decent. I think we need to land the inside backer in free agency and maybe add a late rounder.
            A late round prospect I like is Alex Wujciak out of Maryland.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JCBills
              A late round prospect I like is Alex Wujciak out of Maryland.
              Mine is Derrell Smith from Syracuse. I love the way that kid plays, he plays nasty and always seems to be around the ball. If you can, watch his game vs. BC. He's very underrated IMO.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

I've been doing some work looking at impending free agents. I think we should resign Poz but that even if we do, we need to add LB'ers and possibly defensive linemen from free agency. Obviously the CBA will affect everything but this thread assumes free agency comes before the draft.

Here's guys that I would love to see as Bills:

Paul Soliai, NT- Fins- Fantastic year, 27 years old, 6' 4" 355. He's a bit of a one year wonder and hopefully for a team that makes an offer, it may affect what he could command. Wlifork signed for 5 years and 40 mill. I'd hope we could get him for 5 years and 35 mill or less. For what he could mean to your run defense, he should be worth that. If your just going to make one big splash on defense, I'd be happy with this one.

David Harris, ILB- Jets- Quietly racked up 99 total tackles and 3 sacks. He's 6' 2" 245. He's only 26 years old. The Jets have spent huge money on what they have. Many think they just won't be able to afford him. He's the type of run stopper who you put next to Poz and you potentially have a defense where no one can run up the middle.

With Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson signed and the media circus around Darrelle Revis’ holdout, little is heard about the fourth member of the Jets “Core Four”… David Harris...

Lamar Woodley, OLB- Pitt- Continues to be one of the elite 3-4 OLB's in the league. 26 years old, has had double digit sacks in 08 and 09 and 9.5 this year. He's a stud plain and simple. Pitt has the number 1 run defense and he's major part of that equation. He's an elite player and will command that type of money.

Chad Greenway, OLB- Min- Another guy who continues to get better and better. 4th in the league with 144 total tackles. He's 27.

Takeo Spikes, ILB- SF- Would love to bring him back for a few years. SF was the 6th best team against the run this year. Takeo played ILB next to Willis and racked up 109 tackles. He's 34 and may only have a few years left. But he can't command a big contract anymore and would be an upgrade to our backups for sure. His leadership and nasty approach would be nice. It wasn't the current regime that canned him, and you could use him as a stopgap while you develop a rookie. If nothing else it's a cheap route that could make us better inside right away.

Barret Ruud, ILB- TB- He's a 27 year old who has played rock solid and racked up 120 total tackles this year with 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and an INT. He can play and would be a great complement to Poz on the inside.
                I would be happy with anyone on your list. I would love to see Spikes end his career in Buffalo. I would love to see Spikes & Ruud together inside & let Poz walk. Spikes- a former Bill & Ruud- the son of a former Bill.
                Last edited by better days; 01-08-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days
                  I would be happy with anyone on your list. I would love to see Spikes end his career in Buffalo. I would love to see Spikes & Ruud together inside & let Poz walk.
                  I would love Spikes as well. We lost out on him with teh achilles but he came back. I'd love to get him back here and I think it could be done fairly cheap. Problem is, Gailey and Nix are probably looking to go the youth route... without spending for it.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

I would love Spikes as well. We lost out on him with teh achilles but he came back. I'd love to get him back here and I think it could be done fairly cheap. Problem is, Gailey and Nix are probably looking to go the youth route... without spending for it.
                    Well if they want to go that route, I think Ruud could be had at a reasonable price. As you said though Spikes should not command a big contract either & there is something to be said for having some vets to lead. I think Spikes would be great to have in the locker room.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days
                      Well if they want to go that route, I think Ruud could be had at a reasonable price. As you said though Spikes should not command a big contract either & there is something to be said for having some vets to lead. I think Spikes would be great to have in the locker room.
                      I actually think they are banking on Merriman for leadership.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

I actually think they are banking on Merriman for leadership.
                        I hope they are banking on Merriman for leadership, but a team can have MANY leaders. Thinking of the Super Bowl Bucs & The Bills Super Bowl years, both teams had many leaders.

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

I wouldn't be surprised to see a relatively decent name in FA signed to the defense. But probably only one, not many more, except for depth.
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by psubills62
                            I wouldn't be surprised to see a relatively decent name in FA signed to the defense. But probably only one, not many more, except for depth.
                            I wouldn't either. Nix made a telling statement early into the season that he and Gailey wanted to see for themselves what they had. I can see them making an investment into the team in the form of a significant FA. I hope that's the case because I don't think the draft alone can reach the playoffs.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

No thanks to Spikes. If I'm throwing money at somebody, they need to be young.

I would love to see Harris and Woodley added to the roster, but doubt either is really looking to move from their current teams.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X