PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Strategy- Free Agency- Defense

X-Era
01-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I've been doing some work looking at impending free agents. I think we should resign Poz but that even if we do, we need to add LB'ers and possibly defensive linemen from free agency. Obviously the CBA will affect everything but this thread assumes free agency comes before the draft.

Here's guys that I would love to see as Bills:

Paul Soliai, NT- Fins- Fantastic year, 27 years old, 6' 4" 355. He's a bit of a one year wonder and hopefully for a team that makes an offer, it may affect what he could command. Wlifork signed for 5 years and 40 mill. I'd hope we could get him for 5 years and 35 mill or less. For what he could mean to your run defense, he should be worth that. If your just going to make one big splash on defense, I'd be happy with this one.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/miami-dolphins-nose-tackle-paul-soliai-can-expect-138769.html?cxtype=rss_dolphins

David Harris, ILB- Jets- Quietly racked up 99 total tackles and 3 sacks. He's 6' 2" 245. He's only 26 years old. The Jets have spent huge money on what they have. Many think they just won't be able to afford him. He's the type of run stopper who you put next to Poz and you potentially have a defense where no one can run up the middle.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/444568-david-harris-the-odd-man-out-of-the-jets-core-four

Lamar Woodley, OLB- Pitt- Continues to be one of the elite 3-4 OLB's in the league. 26 years old, has had double digit sacks in 08 and 09 and 9.5 this year. He's a stud plain and simple. Pitt has the number 1 run defense and he's major part of that equation. He's an elite player and will command that type of money.

Chad Greenway, OLB- Min- Another guy who continues to get better and better. 4th in the league with 144 total tackles. He's 27.

Takeo Spikes, ILB- SF- Would love to bring him back for a few years. SF was the 6th best team against the run this year. Takeo played ILB next to Willis and racked up 109 tackles. He's 34 and may only have a few years left. But he can't command a big contract anymore and would be an upgrade to our backups for sure. His leadership and nasty approach would be nice. It wasn't the current regime that canned him, and you could use him as a stopgap while you develop a rookie. If nothing else it's a cheap route that could make us better inside right away.

Barret Ruud, ILB- TB- He's a 27 year old who has played rock solid and racked up 120 total tackles this year with 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and an INT. He can play and would be a great complement to Poz on the inside.

SquishDaFish
01-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I would love to have Poz and Harris together in the middle

X-Era
01-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I would love to have Poz and Harris together in the middleIf we did little else in free agency on defense, I would be pretty happy. I don't think the inside linebacker class is very strong this year but I think the outside linebacker class is decent. I think we need to land the inside backer in free agency and maybe add a late rounder.

JCBills
01-08-2011, 09:08 PM
The Jets are looking at having to extend / re-sign quite a few guys, so you're right on people speculating that he might get knocked down their list of priorities.

psubills62
01-08-2011, 09:14 PM
No thanks to Soliai. He'll be looking for big money after one good year. I'd rather get a late round space eater, maybe even a UDFA. I'd personally prefer Aubrayo Franklin at this point. Maybe even Sione Pouha in 2012 if the Jets happen to not re-sign him (doubtful, imo).

JCBills
01-08-2011, 09:14 PM
If we did little else in free agency on defense, I would be pretty happy. I don't think the inside linebacker class is very strong this year but I think the outside linebacker class is decent. I think we need to land the inside backer in free agency and maybe add a late rounder.

A late round prospect I like is Alex Wujciak out of Maryland.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 09:16 PM
A late round prospect I like is Alex Wujciak out of Maryland.Mine is Derrell Smith from Syracuse. I love the way that kid plays, he plays nasty and always seems to be around the ball. If you can, watch his game vs. BC. He's very underrated IMO.

better days
01-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I've been doing some work looking at impending free agents. I think we should resign Poz but that even if we do, we need to add LB'ers and possibly defensive linemen from free agency. Obviously the CBA will affect everything but this thread assumes free agency comes before the draft.

Here's guys that I would love to see as Bills:

Paul Soliai, NT- Fins- Fantastic year, 27 years old, 6' 4" 355. He's a bit of a one year wonder and hopefully for a team that makes an offer, it may affect what he could command. Wlifork signed for 5 years and 40 mill. I'd hope we could get him for 5 years and 35 mill or less. For what he could mean to your run defense, he should be worth that. If your just going to make one big splash on defense, I'd be happy with this one.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/miami-dolphins-nose-tackle-paul-soliai-can-expect-138769.html?cxtype=rss_dolphins

David Harris, ILB- Jets- Quietly racked up 99 total tackles and 3 sacks. He's 6' 2" 245. He's only 26 years old. The Jets have spent huge money on what they have. Many think they just won't be able to afford him. He's the type of run stopper who you put next to Poz and you potentially have a defense where no one can run up the middle.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/444568-david-harris-the-odd-man-out-of-the-jets-core-four

Lamar Woodley, OLB- Pitt- Continues to be one of the elite 3-4 OLB's in the league. 26 years old, has had double digit sacks in 08 and 09 and 9.5 this year. He's a stud plain and simple. Pitt has the number 1 run defense and he's major part of that equation. He's an elite player and will command that type of money.

Chad Greenway, OLB- Min- Another guy who continues to get better and better. 4th in the league with 144 total tackles. He's 27.

Takeo Spikes, ILB- SF- Would love to bring him back for a few years. SF was the 6th best team against the run this year. Takeo played ILB next to Willis and racked up 109 tackles. He's 34 and may only have a few years left. But he can't command a big contract anymore and would be an upgrade to our backups for sure. His leadership and nasty approach would be nice. It wasn't the current regime that canned him, and you could use him as a stopgap while you develop a rookie. If nothing else it's a cheap route that could make us better inside right away.

Barret Ruud, ILB- TB- He's a 27 year old who has played rock solid and racked up 120 total tackles this year with 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and an INT. He can play and would be a great complement to Poz on the inside.

I would be happy with anyone on your list. I would love to see Spikes end his career in Buffalo. I would love to see Spikes & Ruud together inside & let Poz walk. Spikes- a former Bill & Ruud- the son of a former Bill.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I would be happy with anyone on your list. I would love to see Spikes end his career in Buffalo. I would love to see Spikes & Ruud together inside & let Poz walk.I would love Spikes as well. We lost out on him with teh achilles but he came back. I'd love to get him back here and I think it could be done fairly cheap. Problem is, Gailey and Nix are probably looking to go the youth route... without spending for it.

better days
01-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I would love Spikes as well. We lost out on him with teh achilles but he came back. I'd love to get him back here and I think it could be done fairly cheap. Problem is, Gailey and Nix are probably looking to go the youth route... without spending for it.

Well if they want to go that route, I think Ruud could be had at a reasonable price. As you said though Spikes should not command a big contract either & there is something to be said for having some vets to lead. I think Spikes would be great to have in the locker room.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Well if they want to go that route, I think Ruud could be had at a reasonable price. As you said though Spikes should not command a big contract either & there is something to be said for having some vets to lead. I think Spikes would be great to have in the locker room.I actually think they are banking on Merriman for leadership.

better days
01-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I actually think they are banking on Merriman for leadership.

I hope they are banking on Merriman for leadership, but a team can have MANY leaders. Thinking of the Super Bowl Bucs & The Bills Super Bowl years, both teams had many leaders.

psubills62
01-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a relatively decent name in FA signed to the defense. But probably only one, not many more, except for depth.

X-Era
01-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a relatively decent name in FA signed to the defense. But probably only one, not many more, except for depth.I wouldn't either. Nix made a telling statement early into the season that he and Gailey wanted to see for themselves what they had. I can see them making an investment into the team in the form of a significant FA. I hope that's the case because I don't think the draft alone can reach the playoffs.

YardRat
01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
No thanks to Spikes. If I'm throwing money at somebody, they need to be young.

I would love to see Harris and Woodley added to the roster, but doubt either is really looking to move from their current teams.

Don't Panic
01-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Nice work, X. I'd be all about Woodley, as would Whaley I'd imagine. Harris is a nice under the radar mention... he and Poz sound like a great combo. A healthy Merriman, Poz, Harris and Woodley at LB next year? Yeah... I think I could live with that!

JCBills
01-09-2011, 01:40 AM
Nice work, X. I'd be all about Woodley, as would Whaley I'd imagine. Harris is a nice under the radar mention... he and Poz sound like a great combo. A healthy Merriman, Poz, Harris and Woodley at LB next year? Yeah... I think I could live with that!

That would be unreal. I'd be in disbelief if it happened.

Don't Panic
01-09-2011, 08:55 AM
That would be unreal. I'd be in disbelief if it happened.

Which is probably why it won't! Gonna hold out hope that we address most of our needs in March and make April easy... if there is an offseason that is.

ParanoidAndroid
01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
We could use a safety if Whitner walks....which looks probable. I like Roman Harper. Another running back is needed and someone like Hightower would round out our RB depth. I also like the idea of getting a RT in free agency. Tyson Clabo would be the one big name to go after.... Jeremy Trueblood is a distant second option.

Spiderweb
01-09-2011, 01:31 PM
I would be happy with anyone on your list. I would love to see Spikes end his career in Buffalo. I would love to see Spikes & Ruud together inside & let Poz walk. Spikes- a former Bill & Ruud- the son of a former Bill.

Tom Ruud, the father, was an absolute bust, a horrible player. An early 1st round wasted pick. Played three years for the Bills, and should not have lasted that long.

The kid? Quite a bit better.....

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2011, 03:14 PM
i dont think wilson lets nix spend money on any of those guys....

slight chance to get ruud...or spikes for 2 years...

wouldnt mind spikes.

Akhippo
01-09-2011, 03:57 PM
If we are going to get a good 34 going we have to get a big stout body. I would go with Soliai.

I dont like Ruud coming out of the tampa system though. Another player that we would have to wait on to learn the system. If we couldnt get Harris, I would wait and see if Hawk gets released from GB. Resign Poz as well.

We need to get one FA on defense this year, at least.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
how about stephen cooper? ilb

X-Era
01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
how about stephen cooper? ilbhe's 5' 11" which to me isn't ideal size.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
he's 5' 11" which to me isn't ideal size.

hes 6'1

X-Era
01-09-2011, 05:51 PM
My mistake I was thinking of Stephen Tulloch

X-Era
01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Cooper is 31, was losing snaps to Siler, has a sprained MCL, and his numbers are down this year.

I'd rather not.

YardRat
01-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Hawk = the POS. No thanks.

Raptor
01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Give me Harris or Woodley and I could care less what the Bills do with the rest of FA'cy

Realistically this team is never going to be a big FA spender but just landing at least 1 A rated FA every other year would be good enough for me. We cant do again what we did last year and just sit it out for the most part. We landed only one decent starter in Edwards and we basically backed into that because Denver, Balt, and Seattle passed b/c of the medical

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Cooper is 31, was losing snaps to Siler, has a sprained MCL, and his numbers are down this year.

I'd rather not.

like it or not x, we are not getting any big name free agents... i hate it too, but you know im right...

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Give me Harris or Woodley and I could care less what the Bills do with the rest of FA'cy

Realistically this team is never going to be a big FA spender but just landing at least 1 A rated FA every other year would be good enough for me. We cant do again what we did last year and just sit it out for the most part. We landed only one decent starter in Edwards and we basically backed into that because Denver, Balt, and Seattle passed b/c of the medical

^

X-Era
01-09-2011, 06:34 PM
like it or not x, we are not getting any big name free agents... i hate it too, but you know im right...Probably not. That's why if it's a second tier guy, I'd rather go with a guy like Spikes and a guy like Barry Coefield.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2011, 06:47 PM
coefield is going to command big money, spikes is going to be 35... would rather go with a young draft pick...

X-Era
01-09-2011, 06:48 PM
coefield is going to command big money, spikes is going to be 35... would rather go with a young draft pick...OK, I guess we need to just disagree then. I think we may spend more than most think we will and I also think we will be spending a significant number of picks on defense in the draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
OK, I guess we need to just disagree then. I think we may spend more than most think we will and I also think we will be spending a significant number of picks on defense in the draft.

do you think nix pulls the trigger on newton at 3?

X-Era
01-09-2011, 07:06 PM
do you think nix pulls the trigger on newton at 3?If he impresses physically in the offseason which he most likely will, if the Bills become convinced that he is the kind of person and leader that they want leading their offense, yes I could easily see that.

Theres a lot left for him to show/prove in the offseason though. We will have to just wait and see.

YardRat
01-09-2011, 07:33 PM
like it or not x, we are not getting any big name free agents... i hate it too, but you know im right...

We'll get two starters...Book it.