PDA

View Full Version : I hope Spiller can be Half of Jamaal Charles

BuffaloBlitz83
01-09-2011, 12:49 PM
This guy is amazing!

psubills62
01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
This guy is amazing!

As someone said before (I believe it was IckyBaluky), Charles didn't do very well his first year either.

YardRat
01-09-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/c.j.spiller/careerstats?id=SPI347627
http://www.nfl.com/players/jamaalcharles/careerstats?id=CHA561428

Fewer touches for Charles, but 200 more yards from scrimmage.

Mad Max
01-09-2011, 02:23 PM
I hope he can be TWICE JCharles.

EDS
01-09-2011, 05:53 PM
As someone said before (I believe it was IckyBaluky), Charles didn't do very well his first year either.

Jamaal Charles was not a first round pick.

Now, you are going to say that does not matter, but I think it does. A running back picked early in the first round should contribute early. It is the easiest position to make the transition from college to pros and early first round picks should require less "development" versus later picks.

Let's just hope Spiller can be productive in future seasons.

dannyek71
01-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Take this a lesson. This is what is wrong with this team. We devote our 1st rounder to a rb when we have many other needs. Other teams are finding rbs in later rounds who are more talented.

kingJofNYC
01-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Hope he comes through in '11, we're kind of screwed if he doesn't.

Spiller admitted to having trouble with the playbook/getting the play calls right. Guess a wonderlic score of 10 would have predicted some of his troubles on that front.

Really worried about him to be honest, I'll be crossing my fingers for next season.

BertSquirtgum
01-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Take this a lesson. This is what is wrong with this team. We devote our 1st rounder to a rb when we have many other needs. Other teams are finding rbs in later rounds who are more talented.

i can't believe people are still crying about the bills taking spiller. move on sir. move on.

Michael82
01-10-2011, 12:57 AM
i can't believe people are still crying about the bills taking spiller. move on sir. move on.
Danny has been *****ing about the Spiller pick all year. He's one of Spiller's biggest haters... :ill:

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-10-2011, 04:37 AM
F that, he better be better than Charles.

Extremebillsfan247
01-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Spiller will get better.

psubills62
01-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Jamaal Charles was not a first round pick.

Now, you are going to say that does not matter, but I think it does. A running back picked early in the first round should contribute early. It is the easiest position to make the transition from college to pros and early first round picks should require less "development" versus later picks.

Let's just hope Spiller can be productive in future seasons.

Charles and Spiller started out as somewhat similar players, though.

RB is indeed the easiest position to learn in the NFL - if all you're doing is running the ball. Spiller was obviously drafted to be more than just a runner. It seems to me a lot of times when young RB's contribute early, they simply run the ball, maybe catch a few passes, but then they're always taken out of the game on 3rd and long situations for a veteran RB to come in and pass protect.

Spiller simply hasn't learned pass protection, among other things, as quickly as people thought. It's not a huge deal, as he has an offseason (and possibly a whole year with a lockout) to develop in these areas. I'm sure they'll work on him as an inside runner (which I think he can become) this offseason as well.

Ickybaluky
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM

They are a little different. Charles is more of a long-strider, an upright runner. He was a state champion in the high hurdles in High School. Both are explosive athletes who can accelerate. I think Spiller runs lower and is shiftier, and I think Spiller is a more natural receiver.

Spiller simply hasn't learned pass protection, among other things, as quickly as people thought. It's not a huge deal, as he has an offseason (and possibly a whole year with a lockout) to develop in these areas. I'm sure they'll work on him as an inside runner (which I think he can become) this offseason as well.

I think that is the bottom line, and the reason both these players didn't play much as rookies. When you have a guy who was a feature RB in college, understanding pro protection schemes are a big hurdle. It isn't just knowing your own responsibility, it is understanding the whole blocking scheme, how the play is being defensed, and anticipating where the rush is coming from. If you don't understand defensive concepts you won't be able to anticipate, and there isn't enough time to recover. It takes film study, time and reps to pick up.

Once Spiller begins to show he can be trusted in pass protection he can be out there more. He has the skill set to be a terror in the passing game, not just the running game.

psubills62
01-10-2011, 09:06 AM
I also think that there were too many times when Spiller was in and it was obvious they were just going to run him. Defenses could too easily key in on Spiller in too many situations this year, imo. This is where our lack of true playmakers (sorry guys, Steve Johnson still doesn't scare anyone) really hurts us.

EDS
01-10-2011, 09:35 AM

RB is indeed the easiest position to learn in the NFL - if all you're doing is running the ball. Spiller was obviously drafted to be more than just a runner. It seems to me a lot of times when young RB's contribute early, they simply run the ball, maybe catch a few passes, but then they're always taken out of the game on 3rd and long situations for a veteran RB to come in and pass protect.

Spiller was drafted to primarily run the ball. He did not do that effectively. Add in his inability to grasp blocking schemes and his fumbling problem and he has some serious work to do.

Charles was also more productive from scrimmage than Spiller, to the tune of about 200 total yards.

I hope Spiller can turn it around. Personally, I would not use a high draft pick on a running back when rebuilding a team.

psubills62
01-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Spiller was drafted to primarily run the ball. He did not do that effectively. Add in his inability to grasp blocking schemes and his fumbling problem and he has some serious work to do.

Charles was also more productive from scrimmage than Spiller, to the tune of about 200 total yards.

I hope Spiller can turn it around. Personally, I would not use a high draft pick on a running back when rebuilding a team.

Like I said above, he was also easily keyed in on by defenders when he's on the field.

He does have work to do. But a significant amount of it is very much correctable. He has certainly shown flashes, and his poor statistics in running the ball are reflective of his early need to bounce the ball to the edge and desire for a big play every time he touched the ball. He'll learn patience, and the more playmakers we get, the less defenses will be able to focus on Spiller, which should mean more big plays.

Spiller's difficulties are worrisome, but the fact remains that Charles was not even half as productive his rookie year as he was this year. Spiller can certainly get better and become worthy of a first round pick.

dannyek71
01-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Danny has been *****ing about the Spiller pick all year. He's one of Spiller's biggest haters... :ill:

The pick was microcosm of what is wrong with this organization. We take players who cannot contribute. We draft to our strengths. We buy high sell low (See Marshawn).

psubills62
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
But with the Bills, it took time for Spiller to realize every play wasn't going to be a 50-yard touchdown. Since he wasn't getting enough touches to establish a rhythm, he tried to make each carry a highlight reel play. He bounced runs outside instead of hitting it up between the tackles, and opposing defenses keyed on that tendency.

"Early on I was pressing so much, trying to hit a home run on every play," Spiller said. "I tried to rely on my ability and my speed instead of letting my teammates do their job, which was blocking. But I can honestly say the last five games I really learned how to become an NFL running back as far as being patient, setting up blocks, taking those 3 to 5 yards and if the big one hits, let it hit. That's the encouraging part that I'm heading into the offseason with."

Spiller had 119 yards in the final five games after returning from a hamstring problem, and in three of them averaged more than 4 yards per carry.

Despite Spiller's disappointing rookie year, the Bills are still excited about his potential as an all-purpose threat capable of making big, game-changing plays.

"I see a multi-use guy, outside, inside running back, slot, giving him the ball whether it's in space handing it to him or whether it's in space throwing it to him," coach Chan Gailey said. "I think he'll continue to get better as an inside runner. Every time he does it he gets better. One of the real issues, and this is something that he'll have to address, is he's got to become a better pass protector if we want to continue to look at him as an every down back. You have to be able to protect in this business."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article305801.ece

dannyek71
01-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I think the place Spiller can be the most beneficial is a Percy Harvin type of role. Use him more as a WR and get him into space (See DeShawn Jackson)

Ingtar33
01-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I think the place Spiller can be the most beneficial is a Percy Harvin type of role. Use him more as a WR and get him into space (See DeShawn Jackson)

yes... because we wasted a top 9 pick on a poor man's Danny Woodhead... good god...