X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Wilbon article on Newton.....

"Cam Newton is a big, strong, talented kid with wondrous feet and a cannon of an arm. And while most people want to lazily compare all black athletes exclusively with black athletes and white athletes with whites, the guy in the NFL that Newton is most similar to is probably Ben Roethlisberger -- except that Newton is faster by a lot."

These were my thoughts exactly as to who he compares favorably to. He may end up being a massive bust, but he seems like a pretty humble kid.
    Last edited by BidsJr; 01-11-2011, 11:52 AM.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Re: Wilbon article on Newton.....

All aboard.

Comment

• Nighthawk
      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by T-Long
      All aboard.
      I don't know, but doesn't this organization need somebody to bring some positive attention to it? Draft your own dynamic franchise QB and see how it is goes...I'm Ok with it.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BidsJr
        http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls1...ael&id=6010585

"Cam Newton is a big, strong, talented kid with wondrous feet and a cannon of an arm. And while most people want to lazily compare all black athletes exclusively with black athletes and white athletes with whites, the guy in the NFL that Newton is most similar to is probably Ben Roethlisberger -- except that Newton is faster by a lot."

These were my thoughts exactly as to who he compares favorably to. He may end up being a massive bust, but he seems like a pretty humble kid.
        ---except that Newton can't pass the ball nearly as well as Roethlisburger.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Nighthawk
          I don't know, but doesn't this organization need somebody to bring some positive attention to it? Draft your own dynamic franchise QB and see how it is goes...I'm Ok with it.
          The positive attention will come with WINS. I am fine with a QB as the pick, but I don't think Newton should be the guy myself.

Comment

• Nighthawk
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
            The positive attention will come with WINS. I am fine with a QB as the pick, but I don't think Newton should be the guy myself.
            Maybe, maybe not. He's proven to be a winner, that can't be dismissed and he has all the skills. I just don't know yet, but I wouldn't hate the pick.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
              • Sep 2008

His success will depend on his ability to learn and adapt. He has potential, but reaching it wont be easy coming to the pros where he will have to line up under center, and wont be allowed to run the ball like he does at Auburn. If there is a QB he does compare well to, I think it's Tim Tebow. He has leadership ability but he has a lot to learn, and his throwing mechanics need a lot of work.

What separates him from a guy like Andrew Luck is that Luck is already mechanically sound. He could come in right away for you if need be. If you threw Cam Newton to the wolves on day one in the NFL, he would get massacred by defenses. Newton needs a team that can afford to sit him for about a year, to a year and a half to learn. I don't think he is ready for the big game just yet. JMO

Comment

• BidsJr
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                His success will depend on his ability to learn and adapt. He has potential, but reaching it wont be easy coming to the pros where he will have to line up under center, and wont be allowed to run the ball like he does at Auburn. If there is a QB he does compare well to, I think it's Tim Tebow. He has leadership ability but he has a lot to learn, and his throwing mechanics need a lot of work.

What separates him from a guy like Andrew Luck is that Luck is already mechanically sound. He could come in right away for you if need be. If you threw Cam Newton to the wolves on day one in the NFL, he would get massacred by defenses. Newton needs a team that can afford to sit him for about a year, to a year and a half to learn. I don't think he is ready for the big game just yet. JMO

His throwing mechanics are light years ahead of Tebows. I have no issue with his throwing motion.

Obviously if he is an interview dud and projects to be lazy, we should run as far away from him as possible. He sure seemed into it last night when he was getting coaching from the Auburn staff though.
                "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Tebow seems to be very humble and coachable.

I don't know about Newton but my gut feel is that he may have a Vince Young like attitude.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                    Tebow seems to be very humble and coachable.

I don't know about Newton but my gut feel is that he may have a Vince Young like attitude.
                    The winning attitude? I'd be OK with that...

Comment

• hydro
                      • Oct 2005

I just don't want a mental midget here. Mallet and Newton come off as players that get by on their talent alone. If the team finds that not to be true then I am totally fine with drafting either of them.
                      BERNIAC!

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

I really wanted the Bills to get Andrew Luck. To me, Newton is the only QB in the draft "potentially" worthy of the #3 pick, just based on is obvious talent and production this past season.

He is a risky pick for sure, and if the Bills take him I will cross my fingers. I worry about whether he has the mental make-up to be a top QB. To me guys like Manning, Brady and Brees are successful because of their intellect more than their physical abilities, and I would not take a QB high who I do not believe has the proper mental make-up to get the job done at the NFL level. Physical talent can take you pretty far in college.

Comment

• tomz
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BidsJr
                          His throwing mechanics are light years ahead of Tebows. I have no issue with his throwing motion.

Obviously if he is an interview dud and projects to be lazy, we should run as far away from him as possible. He sure seemed into it last night when he was getting coaching from the Auburn staff though.

I agree. How come the only comments I hear about mechanics come from the amateurs on this board and not from the pro commentators? Last year, the comments about Tebow started from day 1. He had nothing like Tebow's wind-up from the hip and indeed seems to have a quick release.

And the negative comparison to Roethlisberger from the poster above is also way off. Newton definitely throws as well as Big Ben. Did you see that Hail Mary pass last night? Definitely not just a heave up into the air but a legit long ball. I think the notion of poor mechanics comes from the fact that Auburn's offensive approach, with lots of passing from option situations, has him throwing on the move much of the time.

He will have to be coached up to be less of a run-first guy but to question his throwing skills seems misguided to me. By the way, note also how little speed and quicks Auburn had at the receiver position. With Oregon's receiving corps, he'd have been unstoppable. And yet he had a good passing year.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by tomz
                            I agree. How come the only comments I hear about mechanics come from the amateurs on this board and not from the pro commentators? Last year, the comments about Tebow started from day 1. He had nothing like Tebow's wind-up from the hip and indeed seems to have a quick release.

And the negative comparison to Roethlisberger from the poster above is also way off. Newton definitely throws as well as Big Ben. Did you see that Hail Mary pass last night? Definitely not just a heave up into the air but a legit long ball. I think the notion of poor mechanics comes from the fact that Auburn's offensive approach, with lots of passing from option situations, has him throwing on the move much of the time.

He will have to be coached up to be less of a run-first guy but to question his throwing skills seems misguided to me. By the way, note also how little speed and quicks Auburn had at the receiver position. With Oregon's receiving corps, he'd have been unstoppable. And yet he had a good passing year.
                            Tebow's windup needed fixing, but he has always had a good arm & has been accurate. You just have to look ast his stats to see that is the truth.

Comment

• BidsJr
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by tomz

I was actually pretty impressed, and my wife actually noticed and commented on, how he didn't seem too quick to give up on the pass and look to run.

He stood in and went through some progressions before taking off. Definately NOT a 1 read and run that Young/Tebow often seemed to be.

Obviously he needs to improve on these things a lot more, but he wasn't as deficient as I thought he would be.

Comment

Working...
                              X