• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Very Crowded Positions

We've all heard improve the pass rush, we've all heard improve the offense, but I was perusing the depth chart/roster, and holy crap... we have a lot of players at a lot of positions.

the two most crowded positions are WR and LB.

At WR, we have... Steve Johnson, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, David Nelson, Donald Jones, Marcus Easely, Naaman Roosevelt, Felton Huggins, Paul Hubbard, and on PS we have Bob Williams and Rod Windsor

At LB, we have... Paul Posluszny, Akin Ayodele, Mike Balogun, Shawne Merriman, Chris Kelsay, Keith Ellison, Arthur Moats, Aaron Maybin, Pierre Woods, Andra Davis, Antonio Coleman, Danny Batten, Reggie Torbor, John Russell, and on PS we have Jamie Kirlew.

Of the 53 we can have on a roster, aside from PS players, we've had 23 of these players active at some point.

Who stays? Who surprises? Who goes? Who is replaceable?

Some are blatantly obvious, I just am surprised with such a terrible run defense we have so many linebacker options, and I'll give credit where credit is due and admit that the WR's (aside from Lee, the one trick pony) have flourished under Fitzy, but... Those calling for Green at #3 or an elite pass rusher... who goes?
    Bye Bye Brady...
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Very Crowded Positions

Depends on how FA and the draft goes. They are all replaceable, especially the LBers.

Evans, Johnson and Nelson are the closest to 'locks', but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jones or Roosevelt lost their roster spot...maybe both.

Merriman, Kelsay and Moats will be here, barring injury. the POS is the smartest kid on a very short bus at the moment, and probably should be retained. Ellison is done, maybe Maybin also, and I hope Batten stays health so we can see what we have in him.

It's no secret we need LBers, and I'm in the 'we have no #1 WR' camp.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Thief
      • Sep 2009

Worth note there are talks of extending the season and making rosters bigger.

Comment

• tampabay25690
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Thief
        Worth note there are talks of extending the season and making rosters bigger.
        You make a great point.
        This is going to be one of the huge factors with the players union.
        They don't want the extended season.
        The NFL does and you know damn right the fans want it. The funny thing is the fans control this because we are the one's that pay the players, coaches, and owners. With out the fans there is NO NFL period.....
        GO Gators!!!!!!
        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

People tend to forget about Easley. He was a beast in pre-season, and if he hadn't have gotten hurt, I don't know if Stevie Johnson would've seen the field much.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
            Zero for Zero!
            • Mar 2003

There are no crowded positions on this team. At least crowded with real players.
            Originally posted by mysticsoto
            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
              People tend to forget about Easley. He was a beast in pre-season, and if he hadn't have gotten hurt, I don't know if Stevie Johnson would've seen the field much.
              He never played in pre-season. He only was in mini-camps.

People are way too excited about this guy
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                You make a great point.
                This is going to be one of the huge factors with the players union.
                They don't want the extended season.
                The NFL does and you know damn right the fans want it. The funny thing is the fans control this because we are the one's that pay the players, coaches, and owners. With out the fans there is NO NFL period.....
                I am one fan that does not want an 18 game regular season.

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

At WR, the guys we should keep are (in no particular order): Steve Johnson, Evans, Parrish, Easley, Nelson. The rest are fairly interchangeable. While the WR's did well, and I'd love to see guys like Roosevelt get a shot, it's obvious Gailey can use almost any receiver in his offense. And yes, we have no true #1.

At LB, for now we should keep Poz, Merriman, Kelsay (not by my choice, but his extension basically means he's staying), Moats, Davis, Coleman, and Batten. I'm personally intrigued by Kirlew, but his PS status signifies he won't be doing much in the future. We should keep those LB's for now, and upgrade them ASAP, through the draft or through FA.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EDS
                    I am one fan that does not want an 18 game regular season.
                    Seconded.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

At WR, we have... Steve Johnson, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, David Nelson as definites
                      Donald Jones, Marcus Easely, Naaman Roosevelt, Felton Huggins, Paul Hubbard, and on PS we have Bob Williams and Rod Windsor all need to prove themselves

At LB, we have... Paul Posluszny, Shawne Merriman, Chris Kelsay, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten as LB's with potential and contracts (except poz, but i have a feeling he signs)

Akin Ayodele, Mike Balogun,Keith Ellison, Aaron Maybin, Pierre Woods, Andra Davis, Antonio Coleman, Reggie Torbor, John Russell, and on PS we have Jamie Kirlew are all unimpressive and are at the tail end of their careers or were never meant to have a career.

Comment

• dannyek71
                        Drink Responsibly
                        • Dec 2004

I do not want an 18 game season. Part of the allure of the NFL for me is that every game means so much. Plus, that would mean I would have to watch 2 more meaningless Bills games every season.
                        [

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by trapezeus
                          At WR, we have... Steve Johnson, Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish, David Nelson as definites
                          Donald Jones, Marcus Easely, Naaman Roosevelt, Felton Huggins, Paul Hubbard, and on PS we have Bob Williams and Rod Windsor all need to prove themselves

At LB, we have... Paul Posluszny, Shawne Merriman, Chris Kelsay, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten as LB's with potential and contracts (except poz, but i have a feeling he signs)

Akin Ayodele, Mike Balogun,Keith Ellison, Aaron Maybin, Pierre Woods, Andra Davis, Antonio Coleman, Reggie Torbor, John Russell, and on PS we have Jamie Kirlew are all unimpressive and are at the tail end of their careers or were never meant to have a career.
                          I will disagree on Antonio Coleman. I think he showed some promise. He made the DE to LB switch, and once he got more comfortable actually looked like a good find, then he got injured. I think he will be a good player, and I'd like that in Buffalo. I am not saying he is the next LT, but he will make, at least, very good depth.

Batten? talk about a guy that needs to prove himself...There is a lot of optimism about this guy, which I feel is just plain misplaced. I am a homer, and love to over-value our guys, but Why Batten?

I also am not crazy about just launching every guy that we don't think is top tier. In my humble opinion, guys like Reggie "Badmuthashutyomouth" Torbor and Andre Davis make great depth. Ayodele may fit in this discussion as well.

Comment

• bf1
                            • Oct 2010

90% of the players are replaceable. Depth doesn't mean squat if the best player of the unit is below average.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                              Will not tolerate vandalism.
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                              The funny thing is the fans control this because we are the one's that pay the players, coaches, and owners. With out the fans there is NO NFL period.....
                              No, the television networks do that. And despite the fact they lose money on the NFL, they still buy the billion-dollar contracts.

Comment

Working...
                              X