PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS!!! Ben Sobieski SIGNED!

Michael82
06-19-2003, 03:01 PM
The Bills today announced that the team has signed offensive lineman Ben Sobieski, Buffalo's fifth-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft and the 151st player taken overall. In accordance with club policy, terms were not disclosed.

After starting every game at right tackle for Iowa in 1998, Sobieski missed the next two seasons with shoulder injuries but came back to play at guard his last two years. Last season, he saw action in every game at right offensive guard and was a member of an offense that scored 484 points with 60 touchdowns and led the Big 10 by allowing just 12 sacks.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=189256&dsp=press

WG
06-19-2003, 03:02 PM
I've got big hopes for Sobieski!!!

He's the single draft pick that I'm the most excited about. For sure he has the greatest liklihood of being the draft pick to help us out the most this year given our depth situations.

NC-BILLS44
06-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Just checked BB.com.

Orchard Park, NY - The Bills today announced that the team has signed offensive lineman Ben Sobieski, Buffalo's fifth-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft and the 151st player taken overall. In accordance with club policy, terms were not disclosed.

After starting every game at right tackle for Iowa in 1998, Sobieski missed the next two seasons with shoulder injuries but came back to play at guard his last two years. Last season, he saw action in every game at right offensive guard and was a member of an offense that scored 484 points with 60 touchdowns and led the Big 10 by allowing just 12 sacks.

Sobieski becomes the third of the Bills eight 2003 draft picks to sign with the team, joining WR Sam Aiken and DT Lauvele Sape.

Michael82
06-19-2003, 03:50 PM
a little late....but it's all good! Thanks for the scoop. Check out my thread. :D

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19979

Michael82
06-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty excited too! Sobieski looks pretty good so far in mini camp. He could be the one to push Marques Sullivan or Trey Teague for their job. :up:

Ebenezer
06-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Yeah, I'm pretty excited too! Sobieski looks pretty good so far in mini camp.

Were you there?? You have no clue what he looks like.

The_Philster
06-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Of course he wasn't. He slept right through it. :snicker:

Ebenezer
06-19-2003, 04:01 PM
:rofl:

Michael82
06-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

Were you there?? You have no clue what he looks like.

I watch Empire all the time and they showed clips from mini camp practically every day.

Michael82
06-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Of course he wasn't. He slept right through it. :snicker:

Yeah, I slept thru it, while you were busy with lefty and righty. :snicker:

Jan Reimers
06-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Sobieski could be a real find, but I worry about his injury history and the fact that he was only a part time player last year.

Schobel94
06-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Pushing Teague for the job? I dont think so. We aren't paying him oodles of money to sit on the bench, and we aren't moving all the players around or the line will never gel, the line will be the same.

Tatonka
06-19-2003, 05:57 PM
i am surprised to see wys said that.. i thought you were down on him because of the injury history.

TigerJ
06-19-2003, 08:41 PM
It is interesting to think that Sobieski was virtually invisible before the draft because of his injury history and the fact that he was a part time player during his senior year. This could show one of two things. Either the Bills were chasing after rainbows because other teams beat them to the players who could have helped them, or the Bills really do have a great scouting staff capable of uncovering the gems that other teams, as well as draftniks miss. I'm hopeful it's the latter.

Sobieski did not start his senior season because the Iowa had the same concerns raised by Schobel94-continuity. It was the opinion of Bills scouts at least that he graded out better than the starter. I know the injury concern is legit, but he was healthy for the entire '02 season. That counts for something. I'm hoping the Bills got themselves a gem here. I'm really pretty optimistic about the Bills' line depth at this point. I think we're worlds ahead of the last couple years.

venis2k1
06-19-2003, 09:08 PM
He was one of the top rated guys in the country coming out of High School, If he can stay health, he COULD be one of the biggest steals of the draft.

Ebenezer
06-19-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282

I watch Empire all the time and they showed clips from mini camp practically every day.

According to WGR this morning, the media was allowed into mini-camp exactly...one time...thus, you are watching the same clips over and over and over and over...

Doc
06-19-2003, 10:04 PM
If Ben could just bring his sister Leelee to training camp...

R. Rich
06-21-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
He was one of the top rated guys in the country coming out of High School, If he can stay health, he COULD be one of the biggest steals of the draft.

I'm with you on this one. I mentioned in another thread that I think Sobieski can be a real steal for us. Before his injury, he was regarded as perhaps the best O-lineman at Iowa! Plus, with his versatility (being looked at to play center as well as guard), he could be an asset. I'm happy he signed so quickly, now let's see what he can do for us!

Demon
06-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Nice. I really like this pick. The reason teams didn't pick him was because he was hurt 2 years ago. He was the best or 2nd best (matters who you ask) OL on the Iowa State team and think about how much running room Banks had? Sobieski is a leader and a great lineman from what i'v heard and i definetly think he will be a starter in the NFL one day.

MDFINFAN
06-22-2003, 06:02 PM
But for a lineman, when the injury bug starts, it kind of sticks around..Lineman don't get plays off..it's really hard to tell what kind of player he can be, especially since he didn't play a whole year last year..that's missing some valuable developement time..and at the Pro level whatever he lacks will be exposed..From what I've read and seen on him, I wouldn't get too juice right now..

Doc
06-22-2003, 06:43 PM
He could be another Mark Dixon.